The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lions team for Combined Country announced - Stuart Hogg at 10!

+39
Toohey
Cyril
offload
GloriousEmpire
tooboredtowork
lostinwales
ChequeredJersey
stevetynant
Rugby Fan
madmaccas
robbo277
Allty
Ozzy3213
Glas a du
Ulster12
wanderingdragon
theslosty
nathan
sensisball
maestegmafia
littlejohn
wales606
t1000advancedprototype
RDW
bedfordwelsh
BigTrevsbigmac
Redrage
George Carlin
Feckless Rogue
pete (buachaill on eirne)
tigertattie
doctor_grey
Notch
valtrepkos
RDSguru
BamBam
IanBru
GLove39
43 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Lions team for Combined Country announced - Stuart Hogg at 10! - Page 2 Empty Lions team for Combined Country announced - Stuart Hogg at 10!

Post by GLove39 Sat 08 Jun 2013, 11:38 pm

First topic message reminder :

Right team announced for Tuesdays game...

15. Maitland
14. Cuthbert
13.BOD
12. Roberts
11. North
10. Hogg
9. Murray

1. Corbisiero
2. Hibbard
3. Cole
4. Gray
5. Evans
6. O'Brien
7. Tipuric
8. Heaslip

Bench

Best, Grant, Stevens, AW Jones, Faletau, Phillips, Davies, Halfpenny

Big call putting Hogg at 10, apart from a half against Connacht don't think I've ever seen him play there, plus he was knackered after today's game. Also looking at the team he'll be goal kicking I take it. Lots of pressure on his shoulders. Lets hope he responds well.

Great to see Grant on the bench, it'll be very fitting when he comes off the bench, making his Lions debut at the same stadium he made his Scotland one.

Last edited by GLove39 on Sat 08 Jun 2013, 11:46 pm; edited 2 times in total

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Lions team for Combined Country announced - Stuart Hogg at 10! - Page 2 Empty Re: Lions team for Combined Country announced - Stuart Hogg at 10!

Post by maestegmafia Sun 09 Jun 2013, 3:14 pm

Ozzy3213 wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:I don't think Farrell is up to playing the tests. We need bench cover for Sexton and it is important that we try players in the squad like Hogg and Halfpenny in the role should they be needed.

If Sexton does get injured I think Flood would be a great call up, he is a very good player with experience and a varied skill set, he reads games very well.

The other name I would throw into the mix, a player i would pick as my replacement, would be Charlie Hodgson. He has been probably the best flyhalf in Britain this season. He had a superb lions tour before, he can still do the job.

So the established international 10 who was nominated for IRB player of the year last year is not up to playing in the tests, and Halfpenny or Hogg who have never started a test at 10 would be better outside half cover for Sexton.

Really?

That is one of the funniest posts I've seen on here for a very long time!

No he is not.

I think plenty would agree we need to find other options and we only have the current squad to select from at the moment. He was not a good selection for this tour, i don't think he is even the best Flyhalf in England.

Hogg is the next guy to turn to so it is very valuable to see if he can step into the roll with success. We don't want a player who gifts tries to the opposition and fails to score tries when given opportunities. The lions need to be more clinical at ten, Farrell has not stepped up in two starts.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Lions team for Combined Country announced - Stuart Hogg at 10! - Page 2 Empty Re: Lions team for Combined Country announced - Stuart Hogg at 10!

Post by Allty Sun 09 Jun 2013, 3:16 pm

I get the feeling you dont like Farell Very Happy

Allty

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Sun 09 Jun 2013, 3:22 pm

We'll agree to disagree I think Maes. Farrell will be fine. Undoubtedly Sexton is first choice, but if Farrell has to step into the jersey in the tests he will do just fine. None of the other options that could be flown out, Flood, Bigger, Hodgson, Madigan etc are 100% better than him and would ot fare better than him in a Lions test battle.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sun 09 Jun 2013, 3:31 pm

Bigger was an absolute class above all of his team mates apart from Liam Williams against Japan. Yes he's an obnoxious harries, but he's an outside half you need a bit of that. He's shown in the 6 nations and since that he can walk the walk. I think Hogg is a sheet or bust move and I hope it comes off because I like him as a player. The thory is that Sexton and Farell will spur each other on in the tests as both are seen as highly competitive and won't want the other getting the upper hand. Again I hope it works. If that is the plan there is no point in taking out another outside half.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 09 Jun 2013, 3:39 pm

Ozzy3213 wrote:We'll agree to disagree I think Maes. Farrell will be fine. Undoubtedly Sexton is first choice, but if Farrell has to step into the jersey in the tests he will do just fine. None of the other options that could be flown out, Flood, Bigger, Hodgson, Madigan etc are 100% better than him and would ot fare better than him in a Lions test battle.

I think Hodgson would have been a better option, he's had a great season and is calm, measured and tactically astute as he was last time he toured.

I do not see why Farrell has been given so much opportunity when he has shown so little ability. Even in England you have young stars, the same age as Farrell, like Burns and Ford who look better options...

Farrell has not performed well on tour yet, yesterday was a big test and he made many many mistakes. Kicking strait to the winger for the first try was awful. Not taking chances in attack for the second game was poor.

He did make some great breaks, he did defend well and he did get moved to centre for much of the game but he just doesn't look talented enough to take the reigns if we need him to.

Glas a du wrote:Bigger was an absolute class above all of his team mates apart from Liam Williams against Japan. Yes he's an obnoxious harries, but he's an outside half you need a bit of that. He's shown in the 6 nations and since that he can walk the walk. I think Hogg is a sheet or bust move and I hope it comes off because I like him as a player. The thory is that Sexton and Farell will spur each other on in the tests as both are seen as highly competitive and won't want the other getting the upper hand. Again I hope it works. If that is the plan there is no point in taking out another outside half.

I agree regarding Biggar, he played very well all season. Patchell showed some promise too though lions is a long way ahead in his career. Biggar's omission in favour of Farrell was a big surprise, especially after Gatland referenced the Wales vs England game as being a great pointer to difficult squad selections.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Sun 09 Jun 2013, 3:40 pm

I don't think Gatland will necessary look to get his test team out together against the Waratahs, but I believe he'll rest his first XV for the Brumbies game. So playing against Combined Counties doesn't rule you in or out of the test match, it's just another warm-up game.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by madmaccas Sun 09 Jun 2013, 3:52 pm

With the test just around the corner I'm assuming this is the dirt track team. If it really is the case then I'm very disappointed.

madmaccas

http://www.scotlandrugbynews.com

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 09 Jun 2013, 3:59 pm

robbo277 wrote:I don't think Gatland will necessary look to get his test team out together against the Waratahs, but I believe he'll rest his first XV for the Brumbies game. So playing against Combined Counties doesn't rule you in or out of the test match, it's just another warm-up game.

I agree, this is not a selection that we can take many hints from. They are clearly still looking at combinations and giving players a chance.

Very interesting to see what happens.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sun 09 Jun 2013, 4:06 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Farrell has not performed well on tour yet, yesterday was a big test and he made many many mistakes. Kicking strait to the winger for the first try was awful.

Kicking to the winger wasn't a great option but it certainly wasn't awful. There wasn't a lot else on. Farrell got a lot of height on the ball which put Cuthbert in a good position as a chaser. Instead of nailing his man, he got sidestepped. Even then, the break would have broken down if Warburton had made his tackle. Rugby is a team game, there's plenty of blame to share around for that try.

The only awful kick Farrell made when when he put the ball straight into touch with men outside him. If failing to finish off a try scoring chance is a criteron for not being in the Test, team then both Warburton and Cutbert lost their spots yesterday too.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by wanderingdragon Sun 09 Jun 2013, 4:24 pm

I thought Farrell had his best 'high profile' game for a while yesterday. With the right people around him (Phillips, Roberts, BOD) I think he would do a decent job in the tests if he plays. It looks like he is trying to 'over-play' a bit at the moment.

For the try the cover defense simply wasn't good enough. Cuthbert was slightly shepherded, Warburton did well to get there but went too high, Hogg was slightly out of position ....

All 3 of Farrell, Warburton, Cuthbert were unlucky not to score - all did well but were stopped by fantastic defence.

wanderingdragon

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 09 Jun 2013, 5:42 pm

Rugby Fan wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:Farrell has not performed well on tour yet, yesterday was a big test and he made many many mistakes. Kicking strait to the winger for the first try was awful.

Kicking to the winger wasn't a great option but it certainly wasn't awful. There wasn't a lot else on.
They scored directly from receiving that kick, there might not have been a break on, but an experienced flyhalf wouldn't resort to an aimless kick to a fast and famously counterattacking backline.

Rugby Fan wrote:Farrell got a lot of height on the ball which put Cuthbert in a good position as a chaser. Instead of nailing his man, he got sidestepped. Even then, the break would have broken down if Warburton had made his tackle. Rugby is a team game, there's plenty of blame to share around for that try.

The only awful kick Farrell made when when he put the ball straight into touch with men outside him.

There was that too you're right.

Farrell kept going missing as well, his positioning is very bizarre. There were a number of rucks where Ben Youngs couldn't find Farrell while obviously looking for him.

Rugby Fan wrote:If failing to finish off a try scoring chance is a criteron for not being in the Test, team then both Warburton and Cutbert lost their spots yesterday too.

Not really same subject at all. We are talking about who we have at flyhalf. WE need a better player as back up.

Anyhow, I was pretty convinced Warburton was hard done by, that looked like a try, where as Ben Youngs was blatantly from a knock on from Youngs ripping the ball off the Aussie...!

That said credit to Youngs for applying that pressure, he is really looking good for wither a test spot or bench. Phillips and Murray have to put in a really good show to usurp Youngs now.

Where as Farrell looks like he is still learning so much, positioning, decision making, skills, tactical thinking and not grabbing the game as a flyhalf like Sexton, Hodgson, Wilkinson, Steve Jones, Biggar, Madigan, O'Gara do with regularity.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by stevetynant Sun 09 Jun 2013, 6:11 pm

I'm not a Farrell fan, I think madigan or biggar would have been better options but credit to Farrell for his defence, the lad has a lot of courage and throws himself into it.

stevetynant

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sun 09 Jun 2013, 6:16 pm

GLove39 wrote:Right team announced for Tuesdays game...

15. Maitland
14. Cuthbert
13.BOD
12. Roberts
11. North
10. Hogg
9. Murray

1. Corbisiero
2. Hibbard
3. Cole
4. Gray
5. Evans
6. O'Brien
7. Tipuric
8. Heaslip

Bench

Big call putting Hogg at 10, apart from a half against Connacht don't think I've ever seen him play there, plus he was knackered after today's game. Also looking at the team he'll be goal kicking I take it. Lots of pressure on his shoulders. Lets hope he responds well.

Great to see Grant on the bench, it'll be very fitting when he comes off the bench, making his Lions debut at the same stadium he made his Scotland one.

No other 10 cover on the bench either! lol, not even Youngs who has played there! Is Tipuric next in line?
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 09 Jun 2013, 6:20 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:

15. Maitland
14. Cuthbert
13.BOD
12. Roberts
11. North
10. Hogg
9. Murray

1. Corbisiero
2. Hibbard
3. Cole
4. Gray
5. Evans
6. O'Brien
7. Tipuric
8. Heaslip

Bench

No other 10 cover on the bench either! lol, not even Youngs who has played there! Is Tipuric next in line?

Tipuric, Phillips, Davies or Halfpenny could do the job. We need to look at other options within the squad. Its not a bad decision.

Plus i think Hogg will do really well at ten.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sun 09 Jun 2013, 6:23 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
ChequeredJersey wrote:

15. Maitland
14. Cuthbert
13.BOD
12. Roberts
11. North
10. Hogg
9. Murray

1. Corbisiero
2. Hibbard
3. Cole
4. Gray
5. Evans
6. O'Brien
7. Tipuric
8. Heaslip

Bench

Tipuric, Phillips, Davies or Halfpenny could do the job. We need to look at other options within the squad. Its not a bad decision.

Plus i think Hogg will do really well at ten.

I'm sure it will be fine, the opposition are the weakest yet, just very very odd. Starting with Phillips and Youngs on the bench would seem saner, but with 1/2p there even if Hogg gets injured I'm not worried
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 09 Jun 2013, 6:25 pm

I don't think that we can read anything into this team selection. This team has what I think a lot of people would presume will be the test midfield and also possibly the test loose forward trio. People seem to be remarkable impatient in demanding to know what the test team is.

But think about it. This should be a high number win, regardless of who plays - many of the opposition players are amateurs (albeit good amateurs) - imagine a team of Ayr, Cross Keys and Leinster A playing the Springboks. How worried would Biltong really be?

So how best to utilise it for our advantage? Simple. Use it as a device to rest some key players (Youngs, POC), to try different combinations (Welsh wings playing together, JR/BOD axis of excellence) and to let players ease into the series (Corbs, Grant). Hogg would never be given the this job against a Super franchise and to that extent I think that too much is being made of this, novelty though it may be.

After this game, there are two tough games - the Tahs and the Brumbies, the Brumbies will probably be tougher. Why should we expect to see a test team forming before the Tahs game at the very earliest? Honestly. One thing is clear - Gatland values the game time against the competitive Super franchises very highly. I wouldn't pay much attention to this team selection - the management team will be juggling a whole load of minor injuries and niggles that won't get reported to the press. So let's give Gats some credit (for now).
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 09 Jun 2013, 6:55 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:
I'm sure it will be fine, the opposition are the weakest yet, just very very odd. Starting with Phillips and Youngs on the bench would seem saner, but with 1/2p there even if Hogg gets injured I'm not worried

I dont see Halfpenny as a good potential flyhalf, but I know a lot of people do. He may well get some game time there. Also important to see Maitland at Fullback, he is a very exciting player and could well now make the test squad.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Sun 09 Jun 2013, 7:11 pm

When was the last time four Scots had the chance to play for the Lions at once? This could be a record breaking game.

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Sun 09 Jun 2013, 7:41 pm

stevetynant wrote:I'm not a Farrell fan, I think madigan or biggar would have been better options but credit to Farrell for his defence, the lad has a lot of courage and throws himself into it.

Headscratch He missed more tackles than anyone else on Saturday

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sun 09 Jun 2013, 7:42 pm

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:
stevetynant wrote:I'm not a Farrell fan, I think madigan or biggar would have been better options but credit to Farrell for his defence, the lad has a lot of courage and throws himself into it.

That doesn't deny what steve said- he still threw himself into it, but tackling Cooper is harder than many seem to realise, which you could ask any number of more experienced players than Farrell to second!
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 09 Jun 2013, 7:55 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:I havn't got a problem wih giving Hoog and Halfpenny both a run at 10 on Tuesday to see how they go but I don't think Farrell is as bad as most are suggesting.

He seemed far more comfortable yesterday and had a good (not brilliant but does it need to be) game and his place kicking is pretty much spot on to.

He lacks experience, his kicking out of hand was awful, lead straight to a try. Why would you kick to the fastest man on the field who is in space???

Many called that Farrell was the wrong selection pre tour, so far they have been proved undoubtably right.

Lol, it was all Farrell fault huh maes, no blame can be placed at half the lions team that the reds player ran straight through.

I know you hate Farrell and that's fine, its your opinion but please, please don't pin everything on him.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 09 Jun 2013, 7:58 pm

He also made more than any other back, would suggest the reds were attacking his channel

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Sun 09 Jun 2013, 8:06 pm

nathan wrote:

He also made more than any other back, would suggest the reds were attacking his channel

Well he played 10 for most of the match and that is the easiest area to attack as it is closest to the ruck. Nothing unusual about that tbh.

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Sun 09 Jun 2013, 8:16 pm

I think rather than look at Tackles missed we should look at percentages and also positions, flankers often make tackles from the side and behind which rely on technique on technique and are easier to execute whereas a fly-half has to deal with players looking to step him, pass around him and run through him. You can have all the technique in the world but if a large player is running hard and fast at you it's very difficult to stop individually. Also doesn't mean missed tackle as in failure to bring them to a standstill or completely ineffective because I imagine a few of them involved him being bounced off and slowing the player right down rather allowing another player to tackle them easier rather than complete misses. I think the more important ones to look at are Cuthbert and Warburton's misses on their winger although from memory they may have been impeded which if that's the case you cannot blame them for the miss.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 09 Jun 2013, 8:20 pm

Wasn't halfp a flyhalf in the junior world cup and under 20's six nations in 2008?

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Sun 09 Jun 2013, 8:32 pm

Not a huge Farrell fan but don't hate him but two of the three tackles he missed resulted in line breaks. Any-hoo, it will be interesting to see the team for the Tahs game now, I thought the first choice lads would be rested for this so....not really sure...

Back to top Go down

Post by littlejohn Sun 09 Jun 2013, 8:39 pm

Man I love that backrow - wish this could be the starting backrow v australia. They would have so many more threats going forward than any other option, and nae bad on D too....

littlejohn

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 09 Jun 2013, 8:41 pm

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:Not a huge Farrell fan but don't hate him but two of the three tackles he missed resulted in line breaks. Any-hoo, it will be interesting to see the team for the Tahs game now, I thought the first choice lads would be rested for this so....not really sure...

I'm sure the other 13 missed tackles by other players led to some line breaks too.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Sun 09 Jun 2013, 9:21 pm

Seems fashionable to bash Farrell at the moment, but some of it is utter nonsense.

Look, I'm not claiming he's the messiah, but he is a good player, who has played very well at international level over the past 18 months (albeit with some iffy performances thrown in).

In relation to the iffy performances, he is 21. There is not a 21 year old international who has not had below par games in their career. If anyone seriously believes that Halfpenny or Hogg are better options as back up 10 to Sexton in the test matches, then either they know very very little about rugby or just have a personal dislike of the player for some reason.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sun 09 Jun 2013, 9:27 pm

I agree Ozzy, but this is the Lions. Biggar and Madigan are both better players in my opinion, but Farell is more Gatland's type. I would have loved Freddy Varnes to have had the Rngland shirt for the 6 nations, mais c'est la vie.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sun 09 Jun 2013, 9:28 pm

That's be "Burnes" and "England" Rolling Eyes
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sun 09 Jun 2013, 9:29 pm

*that'd*
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Sun 09 Jun 2013, 9:35 pm

Burns is an exciting player Glas. What I would say with him is we need to see if he can cut it against decent international sides in pressure situations. Two decent performances against a pish poor Baa Baas and an understrength Argentine do not a top quality international make. I think he could be, but we will have to wait and see.

What is good for England is that Burns and Farrell are two good young players with different styles. Hopefully they can compete and push each other on to bigger and better things whilst giving England options as to how they can play the game.

Back to this thread, and the debate about Farrell and Lions test 10 jersey and Hogg wearing it for this game, I do think it was short-sighted of Gatland to only take 2 recognised 10's. It would have been ok had one of his centres been a player that covers there regularly, but none are. Having said that, with the squad as it is, it is entirely right that Hogg starts this game at 10. If he struggles, then Gatland knows with Sexton carrying a slight hamstring niggle, he has 10 days before the test match to get another 10 out there as a standby/backup option.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 09 Jun 2013, 9:59 pm

Ozzy3213 wrote:Seems fashionable to bash Farrell at the moment, but some of it is utter nonsense.

Look, I'm not claiming he's the messiah, but he is a good player, who has played very well at international level over the past 18 months (albeit with some iffy performances thrown in).

In relation to the iffy performances, he is 21. There is not a 21 year old international who has not had below par games in their career. If anyone seriously believes that Halfpenny or Hogg are better options as back up 10 to Sexton in the test matches, then either they know very very little about rugby or just have a personal dislike of the player for some reason.

It's just very unfortunate he's been thrust onto a Lions tour- people won't take into account the mitigating factors for him not being the quality required. But he isn't the quality required- unfortunately it illustrates the dearth of talent there is at 10 we have him out there because behind Sexton there is very little quality at outhalf in the Northern Hemisphere, not just the Lions countries.

In four years we'll have Paddy Jackson, Ian Madigan and Freddy Burns- we just happen to be in a lean spell at 10 and like it or not someone has to fill that shirt.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Sun 09 Jun 2013, 10:13 pm

Notch, sorry mate, I can't agree. Good enough to be first choice for England, good enough to beat the AB's, good enough to be nominated for World Player of the year, but not good enough for the Lions. That doesn't work for me.

The Lions is about being the best in Britain and Ireland. He is one of the best 10's in Britain and Ireland and therefore deserving of his place in the Lions squad.

You can make assumptions that in 4 years one of Jackson, Madigan or Burns will be this world beating 10, but that is guesswork, as at present, when it comes to international rugby they are potential and have proved nothing. They may well fizzle out and achieve little, as others with potential have done before.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 09 Jun 2013, 10:24 pm

Ozzy I definitely believe he deserves to be on the tour and should something happen to Sexton be a test Lion.

But not a series winning test lion.Good enough to play for a side that beat the All Blacks in England, good enough to be a Lion, not good enough to steer us to a test series win.

In the last 15 years we've only had two 10s capable of that. Stephen Jones and Jonny Sexton. It didn't happen for Jones it might not for Sexton because just being capable of it guarantees nothing.

You need to get off your high horse. The fact that he isn't of the requisite quality is no insult. Ronan O'Gara wasn't good enough. David Humphreys wasn't good enough. Jonny Wilkinson wasn't good enough to deliver us a series win. If you look at the history of the Lions, 10s who are both good enough to guide the Lions to a series win and have delivered are still in single figures and that is in the entire history of rugby, ever. So its not like it makes him a bad player.

My thoughts would be; if Sexton is injured we'll not be winning the test series and I don't give a flying feic if its Farrell, Hogg, Biggar, Flood etc. in the 10 shirt. Lose Sexton and since we don't have any 9s or 10s good enough to take over the mantle its probably over. Someone has to steer the ship out there and he's the only guy in our whole hemisphere with the credentials right now. If he goes down it literally doesn't matter.

Still, the boy Farrell picked a bad time to lose his form.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sun 09 Jun 2013, 10:33 pm

Cant help thinking Laidlaw instead of Murray would have been a good call - although the chances of him making the test team would have been remote

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Sun 09 Jun 2013, 10:34 pm

Mate, I'm not on any high horse, I just think it's nonsense to say that he's not good enough to win a Lions test series.

Winning a test series away from home is about the team, not 1 man. Just because ROG, Humphreys and Wilko couldn't do it when given their opportunities, does not mean that Farrell can't do it now, even if you consider that they are better players than him.

I completely accept that his form dipped from early March, and that is a concern, but he showed some mental toughness against the Reds yesterday, which is a good sign for me. He started the game poorly, and was visibly frustrated, but he grew into it and got better through the game. That is a good sign.

Look, this is the Wallablies we are playing. They are a very good side, but not an unbeatable one. The Lions will be perfectly capable of beating them, whether Sexton or Farrell is the 10.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 09 Jun 2013, 10:56 pm

Based on his tour so far Farrell is kicking poorly from hand, has a poor range of passing and is making poor decisions when he is on the ball. If we are to rely on him we need him to improve in a big, big way. Better to hope we don't have to.

What will win us this series is Robbie Deans. I would give my left nut to have Quade Cooper in the lions!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Sun 09 Jun 2013, 10:57 pm

I think we can agree, Deans has definitely dropped a bollock in leaving Quade out.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by tooboredtowork Sun 09 Jun 2013, 11:11 pm

Hogg at 10.

Only because Mauro Bergamasco is unavailable to the Lions!!!

tooboredtowork

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Sun 09 Jun 2013, 11:34 pm

Notch wrote:Ozzy I definitely believe he deserves to be on the tour and should something happen to Sexton be a test Lion.

But not a series winning test lion.Good enough to play for a side that beat the All Blacks in England, good enough to be a Lion, not good enough to steer us to a test series win.

In the last 15 years we've only had two 10s capable of that. Stephen Jones and Jonny Sexton. It didn't happen for Jones it might not for Sexton because just being capable of it guarantees nothing.

You need to get off your high horse. The fact that he isn't of the requisite quality is no insult. Ronan O'Gara wasn't good enough. David Humphreys wasn't good enough. Jonny Wilkinson wasn't good enough to deliver us a series win. If you look at the history of the Lions, 10s who are both good enough to guide the Lions to a series win and have delivered are still in single figures and that is in the entire history of rugby, ever. So its not like it makes him a bad player.

My thoughts would be; if Sexton is injured we'll not be winning the test series and I don't give a flying feic if its Farrell, Hogg, Biggar, Flood etc. in the 10 shirt. Lose Sexton and since we don't have any 9s or 10s good enough to take over the mantle its probably over. Someone has to steer the ship out there and he's the only guy in our whole hemisphere with the credentials right now. If he goes down it literally doesn't matter.

Still, the boy Farrell picked a bad time to lose his form.

If Jones was capable but it just didn't happen for him how does Wilkinson not come into the same category?

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 10 Jun 2013, 12:23 am

Ozzy3213 wrote:Mate, I'm not on any high horse, I just think it's nonsense to say that he's not good enough to win a Lions test series.

Winning a test series away from home is about the team, not 1 man. Just because ROG, Humphreys and Wilko couldn't do it when given their opportunities, does not mean that Farrell can't do it now, even if you consider that they are better players than him.

I completely accept that his form dipped from early March, and that is a concern, but he showed some mental toughness against the Reds yesterday, which is a good sign for me. He started the game poorly, and was visibly frustrated, but he grew into it and got better through the game. That is a good sign.

Look, this is the Wallablies we are playing. They are a very good side, but not an unbeatable one. The Lions will be perfectly capable of beating them, whether Sexton or Farrell is the 10.

Oozy interesting to read your opinions.

I was just wondering if you have time to write, could you tell us what Farrell does well?

At first I thought it was goal kicking, but when he feels pressured his accuracy disappears, unlike the greats, Wilko, Jenkins etc etc.

He isn't creative, tactically astute, skillfull beyond other alternatives.

He is young, but he just doesn't seem very good, he also regularly falls short of a decent performance when it's called upon him, as demonstrated in the Six Nations, HEC and Premiership playoffs this year.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 10 Jun 2013, 1:07 am

BamBam wrote:

If Jones was capable but it just didn't happen for him how does Wilkinson not come into the same category?

Injuries mainly- and timing. 2003 Jonny would have been great on a Lions tour!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 10 Jun 2013, 7:24 am

Notch wrote:
BamBam wrote:

Injuries mainly- and timing. 2003 Jonny would have been great on a Lions tour!

True, he missed the best part of five years through injury.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Mon 10 Jun 2013, 7:35 am

So, Farrell has a dead leg and Sexton has a tight hamstring, which explains why Hogg is getting a full game without either of them being on the bench.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Mon 10 Jun 2013, 7:40 am

I never understand these kind of selections against dire opposition. If it works against third rate opponents...what have you learned? If it doesn't work, the notion makes you look like an idiot.

I think Gatland is trying to invoke history when another kiwi coach moved a young lad into a different position and started a legacy.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Mon 10 Jun 2013, 7:43 am

madmaccas wrote:With the test just around the corner I'm assuming this is the dirt track team. If it really is the case then I'm very disappointed.

I think Gatland decided long ago not to have the so called dirt trackers. If you ignore the Barbarians game as a fairly pointless fixture, there are only 5 warm up games before the first test. Gatland also stated that he would use the first 3 matches to give everyone a start. I don't expect to see the actual Test starting XV take the field together before the 22nd. Gatland is looking at combinations and individual performance. Only time will tell if this approach pays off, but with so few games perhaps he didn't have much choice. Gatland will have some of his starters in mind, but there are plenty of positions wide open. I suspect on the 22nd we'll have a few surprises too.

I also agree with an ealier poster - Gatland was always planning to use Hogg as 10 cover. Not sure why or what he had against a 38 man squad. If Hogg get's hurt and with Kearney looking doubtful this decision may backfire.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 10 Jun 2013, 7:55 am

offload wrote:If Hogg get's hurt and with Kearney looking doubtful this decision may backfire.

If that happens won't they just call up another flyhalf/fullback and fullback?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Mon 10 Jun 2013, 8:01 am

maestegmafia wrote:
offload wrote:If Hogg get's hurt and with Kearney looking doubtful this decision may backfire.

If that happens won't they just call up another flyhalf/fullback and fullback?

Probably Maesteg, but it would have been a lot easier to have taken one to start with !
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next