The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lions team for Combined Country announced - Stuart Hogg at 10!

+39
Toohey
Cyril
offload
GloriousEmpire
tooboredtowork
lostinwales
ChequeredJersey
stevetynant
Rugby Fan
madmaccas
robbo277
Allty
Ozzy3213
Glas a du
Ulster12
wanderingdragon
theslosty
nathan
sensisball
maestegmafia
littlejohn
wales606
t1000advancedprototype
RDW
bedfordwelsh
BigTrevsbigmac
Redrage
George Carlin
Feckless Rogue
pete (buachaill on eirne)
tigertattie
doctor_grey
Notch
valtrepkos
RDSguru
BamBam
IanBru
GLove39
43 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Lions team for Combined Country announced - Stuart Hogg at 10! - Page 3 Empty Lions team for Combined Country announced - Stuart Hogg at 10!

Post by GLove39 Sat 08 Jun 2013, 11:38 pm

First topic message reminder :

Right team announced for Tuesdays game...

15. Maitland
14. Cuthbert
13.BOD
12. Roberts
11. North
10. Hogg
9. Murray

1. Corbisiero
2. Hibbard
3. Cole
4. Gray
5. Evans
6. O'Brien
7. Tipuric
8. Heaslip

Bench

Best, Grant, Stevens, AW Jones, Faletau, Phillips, Davies, Halfpenny

Big call putting Hogg at 10, apart from a half against Connacht don't think I've ever seen him play there, plus he was knackered after today's game. Also looking at the team he'll be goal kicking I take it. Lots of pressure on his shoulders. Lets hope he responds well.

Great to see Grant on the bench, it'll be very fitting when he comes off the bench, making his Lions debut at the same stadium he made his Scotland one.

Last edited by GLove39 on Sat 08 Jun 2013, 11:46 pm; edited 2 times in total

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Lions team for Combined Country announced - Stuart Hogg at 10! - Page 3 Empty Re: Lions team for Combined Country announced - Stuart Hogg at 10!

Post by maestegmafia Mon 10 Jun 2013, 8:02 am

offload wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
offload wrote:If Hogg get's hurt and with Kearney looking doubtful this decision may backfire.

If that happens won't they just call up another flyhalf/fullback and fullback?

Probably Maesteg, but it would have been a lot easier to have taken one to start with !

True...! Luckily there is a few good players to call on if needed.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Lions team for Combined Country announced - Stuart Hogg at 10! - Page 3 Empty Re: Lions team for Combined Country announced - Stuart Hogg at 10!

Post by Cyril Mon 10 Jun 2013, 8:30 am

Gatland has been very impressed by Farrell and considered him one of the stand out players against the Reds. Most write-ups in the press gave him 7/10 too. Maybe they know what they're talking about and don't just have a stance that they can't climb down from now?

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Toohey Mon 10 Jun 2013, 8:47 am

maestegmafia wrote:
Ozzy3213 wrote:Mate, I'm not on any high horse, I just think it's nonsense to say that he's not good enough to win a Lions test series.

Winning a test series away from home is about the team, not 1 man. Just because ROG, Humphreys and Wilko couldn't do it when given their opportunities, does not mean that Farrell can't do it now, even if you consider that they are better players than him.

I completely accept that his form dipped from early March, and that is a concern, but he showed some mental toughness against the Reds yesterday, which is a good sign for me. He started the game poorly, and was visibly frustrated, but he grew into it and got better through the game. That is a good sign.

Look, this is the Wallablies we are playing. They are a very good side, but not an unbeatable one. The Lions will be perfectly capable of beating them, whether Sexton or Farrell is the 10.

Oozy interesting to read your opinions.

I was just wondering if you have time to write, could you tell us what Farrell does well?

At first I thought it was goal kicking, but when he feels pressured his accuracy disappears, unlike the greats, Wilko, Jenkins etc etc.

He isn't creative, tactically astute, skillfull beyond other alternatives.

He is young, but he just doesn't seem very good, he also regularly falls short of a decent performance when it's called upon him, as demonstrated in the Six Nations, HEC and Premiership playoffs this year.

Why don't you go and ask Gatland, Lancaster & McCall? Either they are idiots or...well lets just say it's probably not the first time an internet warrior has disagreed with three experienced rugby men.

Toohey

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 10 Jun 2013, 10:47 am

Of all the matches to try Hogg at 10 I'm glad it is this one.

I think he is a gifted young player but I'm relieved he has experienced guys like Roberts, BOD and to an extent Murray at Scrum half to settle him a little bit.

North and Cuthbert should also position themselves on his shoulders to offer some hard and direct running again to keep the pressure off.

With the pack we have in this match I would expect the backs to be supplied with good quick ball, this could be a devestating Lions team if they can click.

Hogg has never kicked in test matches though, I hope he can keep his composure. He is still a young player and I hope the occasion doesn't get the better of him. Make no mistake this is probably the most pressure he will ever be under. Playing in a position he won't be 100% comfortable with and taking on the kicking duties. I rate him highly but I am a wee bit apprehensive of how he'll do tomorrow.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Mon 10 Jun 2013, 11:06 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
Hogg has never kicked in test matches though, I hope he can keep his composure.

He's kicked once! Not remember his long range attempt on the stroke of half time against Ireland?

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 10 Jun 2013, 11:16 am

GLove39 wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
Hogg has never kicked in test matches though, I hope he can keep his composure.

He's kicked once! Not remember his long range attempt on the stroke of half time against Ireland?

I remember it but he wasn't primary kicker. This is a whole new kettle of fish where as a Forward myself if your kicker keeps making a hash of every 3 point oppertunity you create the pressure can start to mount.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Mon 10 Jun 2013, 11:19 am

I hope this isn't leading to O'Brien/Tipuric/Heaslip as the midweek back row, I'd have that as my test back row.

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon 10 Jun 2013, 11:47 am

BlueNote wrote:I hope this isn't leading to O'Brien/Tipuric/Heaslip as the midweek back row, I'd have that as my test back row.

+1

Likewise the centre combination

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon 10 Jun 2013, 11:55 am

Must say I am with the lads who are not that impressed with Farrell,

I don't think him being nominated for player of the year or beating the AB's makes up for the fact that:

1) he is not very creative from 10 (he runs good lines at centre)
2) his decision making is very poor for a 10
3) his passing is suspect (for a 10)
4) his temperament (place kicking aside) is very suspect
5) while he tackles hard, he can find himself slightly flat footed defensively particularly off multi-option offensive patterns

He is however a very good place kicker and very hard tackler

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Mon 10 Jun 2013, 12:00 pm

Likewise the centre combination.

+1!

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 10 Jun 2013, 12:00 pm

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:
BlueNote wrote:I hope this isn't leading to O'Brien/Tipuric/Heaslip as the midweek back row, I'd have that as my test back row.

+1

Likewise the centre combination

If it is it would be a mistake. Warbs and Lydiate haven't convinced me yet.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon 10 Jun 2013, 12:25 pm

Warburton has to be dropped for Tipuric!

Tour Capt or not, he simply is not on the same form as Tipuric.

SOB would be 6 I would think

The No8 spot is kinda up for grabs really. No one has really stood out at 8 so far!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon 10 Jun 2013, 1:26 pm

tigertattie wrote:Warburton has to be dropped for Tipuric!

The No8 spot is kinda up for grabs really. No one has really stood out at 8 so far!

I think in terms of lineout options you need Heaslip there at 8 unless you have Croft at 6. Faleteau is good but none of the flankers other than Croft are good lineout options so you kinda need Heaslip in there. We won't really get really tested in the lineout until the tests IMO.

Heaslip is also playing some outstanding stuff, great carrying and is very underrated at the breakdown

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 10 Jun 2013, 1:45 pm

Tattie - can't agree with you on the 8 issue - I think that Heaslip has been absolutely outstanding. The Aussie Fox commentators were in raptures about him during the Force game and I think quite rightly. I never seem to see Toby carrying anywhere near as often or as strongly.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 10 Jun 2013, 1:47 pm

Notch wrote:Based on his tour so far Farrell is kicking poorly from hand, has a poor range of passing and is making poor decisions when he is on the ball. If we are to rely on him we need him to improve in a big, big way. Better to hope we don't have to.

What will win us this series is Robbie Deans. I would give my left nut to have Quade Cooper in the lions!

Reckon Quade will be playing against us in T2
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Mon 10 Jun 2013, 2:00 pm

T1 for me at the moment will be -
Vauipola, Hibbard, Jones
POC, Parling
Croft, SOB, Heaslip
Phillips
Sexton
North
Tuilagi (if fit)
BOD
Bowe (if fit)
Halfpenny

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Mon 10 Jun 2013, 2:06 pm

If SOB, heaslip and croft start test 1, the aus 7s will be all over the breakdown.

Tip, Warbs or both have to start the first
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Mon 10 Jun 2013, 2:19 pm

There's no way Gats is going to do that. He had the opportunity before selection to make someone else captain (BOD or POC) and still take Warbs on tour (as a back-up player) but he decided not to. Fair enough. It's his choice.

It's not like anything much has changed (except for Warbs getting a minor injury that has set him back a bit). Warbs isn't playing badly it's just that Tips has been playing better for a while. Gats has played his hand now and can't really change it now.

I know Gats isn't averse to a bit of controversy but can you imagine the fall-out if he dropped his captain, not to mention what it would do to Warbs (and the Welsh camp when Gats returns)?

Injuries permitting Warbs will start all three tests.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 10 Jun 2013, 2:20 pm

Combined Country team is up:

Payer
Team
Current Club
Regional Club/Born
Haydn HIRSIMAKI
QLD Country
Sunshine Coast Stingrays
Sunshine Coast
Josh MANN-RAE
Brumbies - Super Rugby
Gungahlin, ACT
Narromine
Tim METCHER
Premier Rugby - Southern Districts
Southern Districts, Sydney
Coffs Harbour
Phoenix BATTYE
Force - Super Rugby
Wanneroo, WA
Cooma
Blake ENEVER
Reds - Super Rugby
Easts, Brisbane
Sunshine Coast
Richard STANFORD
Premier Rugby - Eastern Suburbs
Eastern Suburbs, Sydney
Wellington
Jarrad BUTLER
Reds - Super Rugby
Easts, Brisbane
Gold Coast Breakers
Tim DAVIDSON (Capt)
Rebels - Super Rugby
Sydney University, Sydney
Young
Michael SNOWDEN
Force - Super Rugby
Eastwood, Sydney
Tamworth
Angus ROBERTS
Rebels - Super Rugby
Gunnedah
Tom COX
Brumbies - Super Rugby
Uni-Norths, ACT
Sunshine Coast
Tareta-Junior SIAKISINI
QLD Country
Gold Coast Breakers
Gold Coast
Lewie CATT
NSW Country
Wanderers, Newcastle
Wanderers, Newcastle
Alex GIBBON
Premier Rugby - Southern Districts
Southern Districts, Sydney
Far North Coast NSW
Nathan TRIST
Premier Rugby - Sydney University
Kiama
Tom KEARNEY
QLD Country
Noosa Dolphins
Sunshine Coast
Dylan EVANS
NSW Country
Wanderers, Newcastle
Singleton
Rikki ABRAHAM
QLD Country
Teachers West, Townsville
Townsville
Rory ARNOLD
QLD Country
Gold Coast Breakers
Gold Coast
Trent DYER
Rebels - Super Rugby
Avoca Beach/Gosford
Adam McCORMACK
NSW Country
Hastings Valley, NSW
Hastings Valley, NSW
Shaun McCARTHY
QLD Country
Burdekin RUC, QLD
Townsville
Dale AHWANG
QLD Country
Barron-Trinity Bulls, Cairns
Far North Queensland

I must confess that the only Super Rugby bloke I've heard of is Jarrad Butler, who's a big meaty chap that gets the back end of a few games for the Reds.

Can Fa and the other Aussies lads help me?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Mon 10 Jun 2013, 2:50 pm

Jarred Butler?

I thought he was excellent in Olympus Has Fallen.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Mon 10 Jun 2013, 3:00 pm

The choice of Warburton as captain does not make sense to the vast majority including Welsh poster's like myself especially after the last 6N, he was captain for Wales what should have been the easiest game and they lost and the following games he either did not play or was not captain. The game against England he was correctly displaced by Tipuric to play 6. So, why is Warburton captain is it:

1. Warburton was told he was captain a year ago when Gatland was made coach for the Lions and he kept his word?

2. Warburton was made captain as a condition that Gatland was released by the WRU?

3. Warburton is the best captain despite being second best

4. Warburton is the greatest player since sliced bread Very Happy

5 ANOther

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Mon 10 Jun 2013, 3:03 pm

IanBru wrote:Jarred Butler?

I thought he was excellent in Olympus Has Fallen.
Quite apt as the scoreline is likely to be close to 300 Very Happy

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3