The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland changes for South Africa

+47
glamorganalun
Rory_Gallagher
munkian
mckay1402
Rugby Fan
profitius
Hood83
MMaaxx
Coleman
Galted
HammerofThunor
monty junior
LeinsterFan4life
wales606
Duty281
Taylorman
highland_scot
RubyGuby
IanBru
LondonTiger
Dorothy_Mantooth
allyt2k
Tramptastic
MacKnocked-on
Pat_Mustard
SecretFly
Manky-Flanker
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Scot Abroad
Majestic83
EST
Captain_Sensible
RuggerRadge2611
tigertattie
123skelm
Imperialbigdave
patersonismyhero
jimbopip
NeilyBroon
21st Century Schizoid Man
funnyExiledScot
GLove39
George Carlin
poddy89
RDW
sensisball
51 posters

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Scotland changes for South Africa - Page 2 Empty Scotland changes for South Africa

Post by sensisball Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:48 am

First topic message reminder :

After a lacklustre display when we were outmuscled and outplayed by a tough Samoa team we now prepare to face the boks!
What changes can we make to try to get any kind of credible performance next week?
For me the glaring error in the starting team was the selection of Gilchrist and Kellock. Neither can last 80 minutes so you end up playing with effectively one lock for the end of the match. Remember Gilchrist being smashed around 78 minutes as he drove for the line?
One of the reasons that Kellock, Ryder and Swinson are such an effective trio for the weege is that Ryder and Swinson can both easily last the 80.
I would start Swinson and Kellock and have Ryder on the bench, oh sorry he isnt good enough to get in this tour squad! But it would be nice to have a lock that can actually carry effectively wouldnt it?
I cant face going over all the other parts of the team that didnt work, but im sure you guys will have some thoughts.
Seriously though, we could do with Swinson and his ability to turn over ball in contact as we will need to try and slow down as much of the Boka ball as we can.

sensisball

Back to top Go down

Scotland changes for South Africa - Page 2 Empty Re: Scotland changes for South Africa

Post by George Carlin Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:00 am

Decent interview with Humphreys in the Herald.
What else is he supposed to say?:

So now Jonathan Humphreys knows what being a Scotland forwards coach is really all about.

The Scots have been in South Africa for little more than a week, have suffered a 27-17 loss to Samoa, and have already lost two props and a hooker. And just for good measure, another prop is now being medically assessed.

Humphreys, in short, is finding out how bare the Scottish cupboard can be. When the top guys are all fit and well, Scotland can match most Test sides in the scrum, but there are not many places to turn when the injuries start stacking up. When the pundits started discussing candidates for call-ups, many of the names being bandied about belonged to players who are alarmingly inexperienced at club level, let alone anything higher.

"It is an interesting situation," was Humphreys' wry assessment of the scenario. "We came out here with the intention of broadening our base [of players] and we will now have to broaden it sooner than we thought. We have a fair few injuries after the weekend."

Humphreys was appointed the forwards coach after the RBS 6 Nations Championship, succeeding the Worcester-bound Dean Ryan. The former Wales hooker and captain had previously had the same role under Scott Johnson at the Ospreys, so he clearly has the confidence of the interim head coach. However, watching his players being bullied into submission by the Samoans could hardly have been the most comfortable first day at the office.

Did it hurt his pride? "I was not embarrassed," was his defiant response. "My remit was to come and look and understand. I need to understand the players, and that was a one-off snapshot.

"Obviously we were disappointed with how the game went, but sometimes the measure of a person is in how they bounce back. I will be really interested to see what the character of this squad now is."

In many ways, Humphreys' experience against Samoa was similar to what Ryan endured on the opening weekend of the Six Nations at Twickenham as he watched the Scottish forwards take a battering from their English opponents at the breakdown. Ryan had some harsh words in the dressing room after that performance, but Humphreys made it clear his Mr Angry act is being kept in reserve, for the moment.

"The contact area is a fair amount about mindset, having a system in place that everyone understands," he suggested. "This is a new group of players. Were we good in the contact area? No, we weren't. Do we have to become extremely good? Yes.

"That is where we need to find the players who will do what we want. There is no point in giving rockets every two or three games. What does that do? It is just skimming the surface. We need to find the people who will do what we want them to do."

"The days of people sitting down and giving speeches about how people sacrifice lives on battlefields, and all that, only gives you so much. It is about people who within them have the character you want. There are people there; there are people on this tour who have those characteristics."

Maybe so, but there are also people on the tour whose preparation for a ferociously physical Test was clearly lacking. The previous weekend, many of the Samoan players had been taking part in fiercely contested Super Rugby matches, while a good number of the Scots had not played a game of any sort for more than five weeks.

Were the Scots undercooked? "Definitely, that was the case," said Humphreys candidly. "There were certainly a few people who felt off it. In the second half we were considerably better than we were in the first 15 to 20 minutes. But there are no excuses. Were we good enough on the day? No. Are we good enough to have won? Yes, we are. But in the first few minutes we were very sloppy and let them in for two easy tries. In Test match rugby you cannot do that."

The Scots might have hoped for a gentler second game in his tournament than the one they are likely to be given by the Springboks. Selection has now been delayed until Thursday by the squad's injury situation, and options are narrowing. Despite that, Humphreys wants to see as many players in action as possible on the tour.

"We came out here with something in mind – to make sure the players play. We are not giving caps away, nothing like that, but we have to make sure we find out what people are about. We are not bringing people on tour to still have questions about them when we go back. They are coming into a high-intensity game on the back of a disappointing performance. We need to find out what they are about and selection will reflect that."
Word is that Euan Murray's injury may not be as bad as initially thought.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Scotland changes for South Africa - Page 2 Empty Re: Scotland changes for South Africa

Post by GLove39 Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:50 am

South African team for Saturday announced...

South Africa:
15 Willie le Roux
14 Bryan Habana Run
13 JJ Engelbrecht
12 Jean de Villiers (c)
11 Bjorn Basson Run
10 Morné Steyn
9 Ruan Pienaar

8 Pierre Spies
7 Arno Botha
6 Marcelle Coetzee
5 Juandré Kruger
4 Eben Etzebeth
3 Jannie du Plessis
2 Adriaan Strauss
1 Tendai Mtawarira.

Replacements: 16 Bismarck du Plessis, 17 Trevor Nyakane, 18 Coenie Oosthuizen, 19 Flip van der Merwe, 20 Siya Kolisi, 21 Piet van Zyl, 22 Pat Lambie, 23 Jan Serfontein.

So joy, of joys they replace their newbie 1 cap scum half from last week with Pienaar.

Boks front row is rather terrifying, especially given our recent injury plight. Will the BEAST chew on Dickinson or swallow him whole..?

And finally I think we're all looking forward to seeing the replacement hookers come off the bench at some point. Fraser Brown your mission is to sink the Bismark..!

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:55 am

Has an international ever been forfeited in advance?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:03 am

3 Jannie du Plessis
2 Adriaan Strauss
1 Tendai Mtawarira.

Bunch of jessies.
(picard)
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:04 am

The only hope is that Morne Steyn plays conservatively and spanks the leather off the ball with his boot on each occasion he gets the ball. That way the Boks will score in multiples of 3 rather than 7.

There is absolutely no chance we'll be within 20 points on this one. I hate to be a pessimist, but that Bok squad is by some distance superior to ours. We sorely need Grant, Ford, Gray, Brown, Rennie, Maitland and Hogg for this sort of contest. This will be a severe demonstration that our "depth" isn't what it needs to be.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:05 am

Reckon we are going to get our poopie pushed in here.... Shocked
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:14 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:The only hope is that Morne Steyn plays conservatively and spanks the leather off the ball with his boot on each occasion he gets the ball. That way the Boks will score in multiples of 3 rather than 7.

There is absolutely no chance we'll be within 20 points on this one. I hate to be a pessimist, but that Bok squad is by some distance superior to ours. We sorely need Grant, Ford, Gray, Brown, Rennie, Maitland and Hogg for this sort of contest. This will be a severe demonstration that our "depth" isn't what it needs to be.
the only problem with your Morne hope, fES, is that the Scottish game plan seems awfully similar at the moment, with Laidlaw determined to kick the ball away at every opportunity - so this game could be a real snooze fest if neither team holds on to the ball. No doubt, South Africa will prove us wrong and run in a truckful of tries

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:21 am

Since a spanking looks on the cards had a quick look to see what our worst ever defeat is. Apparently it's a 68-10 defeat to South Africa at Murrayfield in 1997. So fingers crossed when the hooter sounds on Saturday we won't be staring at a similar score.

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:30 am

ASBO - I think I'd take a snooze fest to be honest. If this game becomes a contest in aerial ping pong, then with Laidlaw and Tonks in the side we can at least return the ball with interest. My concern is that South Africa look to retain the ball and play at tempo. At the best of times Scotland struggle with teams that recycle quickly, but with Habana and Basson out wide, and Visser's defence, it'll be a 7 pointer each time we get stretched. Our defensive shape against Samoa was laughable, and when they got momentum, they scored each time. I fear that Coetzee playing for SA, and us not having a proper openside, we'll have to deal with a fair few turnovers, and if we get penalised for holding onto the ball and they execute some quick tap penalties, then it'll be unwatchable from a Scots perspective.

I shall be watching and supporting as always - I just hope that it isn't as sunny as last weekend. I don't think I can face watching Scotland get squashed whilst missing out on 2 hours of sunshine!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:33 am

With the NZ - France, Lions then Scotland games I almost missed a whole day of sunshine!

You never know - Scotland do best when they are the underdogs and no one gives them a hope in hell, we might keep it below 30 points!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:39 am

I must confess I skipped the NZ and Lions games in favour of the outdoors, but couldn't resist the pub at lunchtime for the Scotland game.

I think 30 points is probably the sort of margin we're looking at, but as you say, it's when we've been completely written off that we produce our best performances.

What I don't want to see is silly selection decisions, like Swinson at 6, dropping Heathcote or moving Lamont into the centre.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:41 am

It was actually quite liberating being to spend all day in my pants watching rugby on TV - I recommend it!

I caved though and went into town instead of watching SA - Italy, the lure of our only sun for the year was too much!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:07 am

These weekends are quite punishing to be honest. I was sitting there boggle eyed by the time the Pumas game came on!

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:09 am

Mmm, also fun fact for the afternoon. Bismark Du Plesis has played in more international games (46) than Fraser Brown has played minutes for Glasgow (44)..!

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:26 am

And the worrying thing is there is actually a chance that Brown will be involved on Saturday – Lawrie has supposedly been struggling with a back inury, meaning midget Lawson will be starting and a recent amateur player will be on the bench!picard

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:27 am

I should have stuck in at this rugby Malarky and got my injury sorted. I might have had a call up...
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:39 am

Don't worry about the experience of Du Plessis versus Fraser Brown. You don't need anything silly like experience to be a top class international hooker. Potential will do just fine..... Whistle

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Manky-Flanker Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:41 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:I should have stuck in at this rugby Malarky and got my injury sorted. I might have had a call up...

hmmmmm, with no openside flankers available either......chin.....might be time to dust off the ol' rugby boots. Manky as they are...

Manky-Flanker

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:51 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:It was actually quite liberating being to spend all day in my pants watching rugby on TV - I recommend it!

I caved though and went into town instead of watching SA - Italy, the lure of our only sun for the year was too much!

Hope you managed to put on your trousers for that hike, RDW.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:18 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:Don't worry about the experience of Du Plessis versus Fraser Brown. You don't need anything silly like experience to be a top class international hooker. Potential will do just fine..... Whistle

I am absolutely confident in Fraser's potential*

*To poo himself with fear and then look the other way when the ball comes near him.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pat_Mustard Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:20 am

Gordon Reid has been called up now

Pat_Mustard

Back to top Go down

Post by Scot Abroad Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:35 am

That SA team is going to put 50 to 60 points on us on Saturday. We seem to have moved from developing the youngsters to damage limitation. The way we're playing Italy will smash us as well.

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:40 am

I know. I have a terrible feeling it's going to be a horror show.

I think that SJ knows it too - he's made clear that Bravery Points will definitely count for something at the end of this tournament. He has said that he wants to find out what his players are made of and he's going to do that at the very least.

I honestly think that the pressure is off us. The team now isn't anything like what it's going to be come the World Cup. So who gives a feic?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:42 am

Very pleased for Gordon Reid - he's progressed a fair bit this season and isn't afraid of the physical stuff. Likes to get his hands on the ball as well. Has some technical aspects to his game to sort out, but I'm pleased that he and Welsh are now involved.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:45 am

Surely they wouldn’t have expected to have to call up Gordon Reid for this tour so he’s been sitting on the beach for 3 weeks?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:53 am

Haven't Glasgow also started pre-season as well, or is that just punishment for Edinburgh as a result of being bad at rugby last season?

I'd imagine Gordon Reid after three weeks on the beach would be red with sunburn and just a little bit fat!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:00 am

Ah see FES if you were on Twitter you would know Glasgow started on Monday!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:02 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:Haven't Glasgow also started pre-season as well, or is that just punishment for Edinburgh as a result of being bad at rugby last season?

I'd imagine Gordon Reid after three weeks on the beach would be red with sunburn and just a little bit fat!

Glasgow started pre season this week, been at it for 3 days.

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:06 am

I have an exclusive deal with 606v2.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:16 am

Would have thought that recent Wasps signing Neil Cochrane might have been a more sensible call up for the tour than Fraser Brown, at least he's been playing some competitive rugby all season, even if it was for Bedford in the Championship.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:23 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:I have an exclusive deal with 606v2.

laughing
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:16 am

Gordon 'Shrek' Reid - no fear and no backward step !Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:03 am

Nice to see the SA press rate us...

A SOUTH African journalist has labelled Scotland “donkeys” and predicted a heavy defeat for Scott Johnson’s side in Nelspruit this weekend.

Scotland suffered a 27-17 defeat to Samoa in the opening weekend of the Castle Lager Test Series in Durban and have been dealt a series of injury blows in the lead-up to Saturday’s Test against the host Springboks. Glasgow prop Gordon Reid was the third player to be flown out from Scotland after the squad lost Ryan Grant to the Lions before the tournament started, and Kelly Brown, Pat MacArthur and Geoff Cross to injury in the wake of the Samoa loss.
Tighthead prop Euan Murray is struggling to recover from a hamstring injury and so Reid yesterday joined Jon Welsh and Fraser Brown in flying in to South Africa to plug holes.
But, even before the injury crisis, Mark Keohane – a former Springbok media officer – Crusaders wing. He [Maitland] is easily the best in Scotland, which again highlights the lack of international pedigree that will face the Boks.
“What will come to South Africa is a ‘best of the rest’ from Scotland and that alone tells you that the Boks could pick any match 22 and triumph.”
On Scotland’s form, he wrote: “Somehow Scotland won two of their Six Nations matches against Ireland and Italy. France, who hadn’t won a game in the tournament, beat Scotland in Paris and Wales and England comfortably brushed aside their challenge.
“The win against Ireland was unlikely and unexpected and allowed critics of the Scottish game to agree on a relatively successful campaign because Scotland managed to beat a team outside Italy. Come on!
“These guys are donkeys. South Africa should pump them and to try and write up the visitors is to insult anyone who has taken the time to read this article. There is nothing this team will bring to South Africa that can threaten the Boks.”
He called Italy “toothless tigers” who are “a danger to themselves with ball in hand” and added: “Samoa is the side I want to see the Springboks play in the final of the tournament, especially as they will be at full-strength.”
However, South Africa head coach Heyneke Meyer has dismissed those comments as bearing no relation to thoughts inside his squad.
“We have a lot of respect for Scotland,” he said. “If you look at our results in the last few years they have beaten us twice, and that was against quality sides. This is a young [South Africa] team and obviously we’re still learning and we want to do well, but Scotland are a very difficult team to play against.
“They play with a lot of passion and heart and irrespective of what happened against Samoa they always lift themselves against the Boks so we know this is going to be a very physical encounter, and we’re going to have to be at our best to beat them.”

All we can hope for is that the players have the same attitude and get caught cold!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:09 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Nice to see the SA press rate us...

A SOUTH African journalist has labelled Scotland “donkeys” and predicted a heavy defeat for Scott Johnson’s side in Nelspruit this weekend.

Scotland suffered a 27-17 defeat to Samoa in the opening weekend of the Castle Lager Test Series in Durban and have been dealt a series of injury blows in the lead-up to Saturday’s Test against the host Springboks. Glasgow prop Gordon Reid was the third player to be flown out from Scotland after the squad lost Ryan Grant to the Lions before the tournament started, and Kelly Brown, Pat MacArthur and Geoff Cross to injury in the wake of the Samoa loss.
Tighthead prop Euan Murray is struggling to recover from a hamstring injury and so Reid yesterday joined Jon Welsh and Fraser Brown in flying in to South Africa to plug holes.
But, even before the injury crisis, Mark Keohane – a former Springbok media officer – Crusaders wing. He [Maitland] is easily the best in Scotland, which again highlights the lack of international pedigree that will face the Boks.
“What will come to South Africa is a ‘best of the rest’ from Scotland and that alone tells you that the Boks could pick any match 22 and triumph.”
On Scotland’s form, he wrote: “Somehow Scotland won two of their Six Nations matches against Ireland and Italy. France, who hadn’t won a game in the tournament, beat Scotland in Paris and Wales and England comfortably brushed aside their challenge.
“The win against Ireland was unlikely and unexpected and allowed critics of the Scottish game to agree on a relatively successful campaign because Scotland managed to beat a team outside Italy. Come on!
“These guys are donkeys. South Africa should pump them and to try and write up the visitors is to insult anyone who has taken the time to read this article. There is nothing this team will bring to South Africa that can threaten the Boks.”
He called Italy “toothless tigers” who are “a danger to themselves with ball in hand” and added: “Samoa is the side I want to see the Springboks play in the final of the tournament, especially as they will be at full-strength.”
However, South Africa head coach Heyneke Meyer has dismissed those comments as bearing no relation to thoughts inside his squad.
“We have a lot of respect for Scotland,” he said. “If you look at our results in the last few years they have beaten us twice, and that was against quality sides. This is a young [South Africa] team and obviously we’re still learning and we want to do well, but Scotland are a very difficult team to play against.
“They play with a lot of passion and heart and irrespective of what happened against Samoa they always lift themselves against the Boks so we know this is going to be a very physical encounter, and we’re going to have to be at our best to beat them.”

All we can hope for is that the players have the same attitude and get caught cold!

I'm not sure that the size of Mr Keohane's todger could disappoint him more.

Just goes to show that the old axioms are the same - bullying the smaller kid always looks ugly. Because it is.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:38 am

He's just an idiot. Plain and simple. Meyer's response at least shows some class.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:59 am

The article doesn't make for good reading. Made all the worse by the cutting truths.

However it isn't classy journalism.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:04 am

Team about to be announced, 3 new caps apparently...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:11 am

Murchie
Seymour
Dunbar
Scott
Lamont
Jackson
Laidlaw (C)
Dickinson
Lawson
Murray
Swinson
Hamilton
Strokosh
Wilson
Beattie

Subs Lawrie, Welsh, Low, Kellock, Denton, Pyrgos, Horne, Taylor

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:14 am

I'm actually kind of glad visser has got dropped, he's been needing a boot up the arse to sort out his defense!

Swinson playing is awesome, with Wilson at 7 we will need more players who are better at the breakdown.

Otherwise I'm disappointed Heathcoate was dropped for Rhubarb who is turning into a modern day Phil Godman...

Tramptastic

Location : Edinburgh via Rockcliffe/Dalbeattie/Dumfries/The Wickerman Festival

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:14 am

A few surprises in there – most notably Visser dropped!

Great to see Swinson and Hamilton – they will not take a backward step against the Saffers

Jackson starting and Heathcoat dropped – concussion maybe? Would be harsh to completely drop him

Harsh on Lawrie I think, especially since Lawson is a midget.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pat_Mustard Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:16 am

Could be worse, at least Murray and Lawrie are passed fit.

I guess the intention all along was to give Murchie and Seymour an opportunity so will be interesting to see how they do. I would maybe have started Pyrgos to give the backs some quicker ball.

Pat_Mustard

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:23 am

Like the look of the boiler room, lot of grunt in there.
A real Glasgow feel to the backline, let's hope they can link up well.

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by allyt2k Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:24 am

heathcote never passed the return to play protocol

Visser was never going to play all 3 games seymour needs his chance

happy with swinson and hamilton

allyt2k

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:26 am

Pace in the backline is still a worry for me - I suggested this before Samoa to shouts of derision before the game, but I went on to be proved correct as they ruthless exposed our lack of pace with those first 2 tries!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:29 am

aahh ok if Heathcoate was dropped for medical reasons I'm happier with that, was raging at Johnson for having dropped in in a repeat Tonga experience! Heathcoate doesn't seem to have had the best of luck against the pacific islanders Laugh

Tramptastic

Location : Edinburgh via Rockcliffe/Dalbeattie/Dumfries/The Wickerman Festival

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:22 am

I Actually like the look of the changes made to the Pack. Looks a far more aggresive pack who will be able to take on the South African rather than the bean poles of Kellock and Gilchrist. Lawson at hooker is a good call too, his line out throw is normally spot on and he is a good ball carrier despite his size and is very sneaky at getting a good ratio of try scoring.
Pleased to see Visser dropped, good player and lots of potential to be great but need a foot up the rear end. Seymour is very quick and deserves a shot. Murchie is very secure under the high ball and against SOuth Africa they will obviously use that tactic a lot.
Just need to sort Laidlaw out and get him to get to the break down quicker and give us some quick ball instead of kicking it away all the time!

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:37 am

What are people's thoughts on Wilson at 7? Tall, rangy runners don't normally play 7...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:43 am

Every hour I check this thread the news goes from bad to worse.

I keep thinking about how good our Strength and depth is, looking at the 6N when we are talking about Scotland A and how good they look, it's times like these that I realize how weak we can actually be.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:48 am

To be fair we are being massively stretched – consider the list of players either on Lions duty, injured or deliberately left out the squad but could be consider to be in the wider Scotland team:

Grant
Gray
Maitland
Hogg
Macarthur
Ford
Hall
Cross
Ryder
Harley
Rennie
Barclay
Fusaro
Brown
McInally
Cusiter
Lawson
Weir
Godman (joke!)
De Luca
Exans
Grove
Walker (long shot)

That’s 22 players off the top of my head, 18 of which I’d class as there or there abouts in the Scotland team.

That’s tough for any country to handle never mind one with such small resources!

Last edited by RDW_Scotland on Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:57 am; edited 3 times in total

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:51 am

What's most striking from that list is that it is almost 2 whole packs missing!

Last edited by RDW_Scotland on Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:54 am; edited 1 time in total

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next