The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lions V NSW Waratahs

+61
Golden
HammerofThunor
Rory_Gallagher
Rugby Fan
maverickmak
Hood83
JmD
LeinsterFan4life
kiakahaaotearoa
Hookisms and Hyperbole
Dorothy_Mantooth
nathan
mystiroakey
t1000advancedprototype
The Boss
Cari
Taylorman
glamorganalun
Higher_Ground
SecretFly
BamBam
doctor_grey
Duty281
Seagultaf
jelly
wales606
BlueNote
WELL-PAST-IT
jimmyinthewell68
thomh
jeffwinger
R!skysports
Ozzy3213
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
gleesonisgod
Mad for Chelsea
munkian
RuggerRadge2611
rodders
Mickado
offload
fa0019
RDW
George Carlin
Standulstermen
valtrepkos
yappysnap
BigTrevsbigmac
Ulster12
bedfordwelsh
flyhalffactory
RubyGuby
majesticimperialman
ChequeredJersey
lostinwales
sirBiggles
maestegmafia
LondonTiger
andy powells minder
GunsGerms
hugehandoff
65 posters

Page 1 of 11 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Lions V NSW Waratahs Empty Lions V NSW Waratahs

Post by hugehandoff Tue 11 Jun 2013, 4:35 pm

This is obviously a very important game in the overall context of the tour. Gats should use it primarily as a tough run out for his test team 1 week before the test series begins. But will he still want to give some players a chance to put up their hands? Are there certain positions still up for grabs and if so will he try and use this game as a winner takes all shoot out. It is not ideal to still be asking players to play the Brumbies game and then appear in the 1st test, although not impossible.

For me it should be:

Adam Jones - nailed on
Hibbard - almost nailed on
Grant - experiment
POC - nailed on
AWJ - trial V Parling
Lydiate - needs to prove himself
Faletau - needs to prove himself
Warbs - needs to prove himself
Phillips - nailed on
Sexton - nailed on
North - nailed on
Roberts - nailed on
BOD - nailed on
Maitland - experiment
1/2P - nailed on

Bench:
Cole.....purely for some hard match practice as I see Jones as nailed on
T.Youngs....could challenge for a starting spot if he excels as a replacement - worth a look
Vuni.......originally viewed as an impact sub so interesting to see how he goes compared to the highly rated (by the Scots) Grant who is deserving of a start
Parling.....worth another look to see if he is worth a starting or bench spot
Croft....another who deserves a run out to see if he is worth a bench spot
Heaslip....given an opportunity could take the starters spot
Youngs....assuming he will be the test sub so let him see what impact he can make
Farrell....ditto as for Youngs

Is a 6/2 bench split a bit risky?

Who would you like to see run out on Sat and do you just want the test side to play or do you still see this as a chance to experiment and give players a fair crack?

Update with actual team.
Lions team: Leigh Halfpenny; Sean Maitland, Jonathan Davies, Jamie Roberts, Simon Zebo; Jonathan Sexton, Mike Phillips; Mako Vunipola, Tom Youngs, Adam Jones, Alun Wyn Jones, Paul O'Connell , Tom Croft, Sam Warburton (capt), Jamie Heaslip
Replacements: Richard Hibbard, Alex Corbisiero, Dan Cole, Geoff Parling, Dan Lydiate, Ben Youngs, Owen Farrell, Rob Kearney

Last edited by hugehandoff on Thu 13 Jun 2013, 10:35 am; edited 1 time in total

hugehandoff

Back to top Go down

Lions V NSW Waratahs Empty Re: Lions V NSW Waratahs

Post by hugehandoff Wed 12 Jun 2013, 5:31 pm

From the Sydney Morning Herlad sounds like we will get a Reds style decent match.

The Waratahs will be boosted by the return of starting five-eighth Bernard Foley when they meet the British and Irish Lions at Allianz Stadium on Saturday.
Foley will be released from the Australian Sevens squad, which is in camp preparing to play in the Sevens World Cup in Moscow at the end of the month, in time to anchor NSW in a crucial warm-up match before the start of the Test series. Waratahs coach Michael Cheika revealed ARU chief executive Bill Pulver had intervened to make Foley and NSW halfback Matt Lucas available after they were quarantined for Australia's Sevens campaign. ''I would like to have a lot of our international players back but in fairness the CEO of the ARU has stepped in and let us have Foley and Lucas back from the Sevens camp, so they will be joining the team on Friday and are available for selection,'' Cheika said.
''I think that's fair play because he made the call and got us those players back. Foley, in particular, because he is our playmaker, it is good because we will have that little extra zip. He's a bit of x-factor as well.''
Lions V NSW Waratahs -------AR-LEAD-THIN-20130612210918660848-300x0
Tough session: Will Skelton at NSW training. Photo: Dallas Kilponen
Foley was part of the silver medal-winning Sevens side at the 2010 Commonwealth Games and captained the team in the World Series later that year, before signing with the Waratahs for 2011.
Advertisement
After spending last year at fullback he was switched to five-eighth and has played a key role in the Waratahs' new expansive style. He, Lucas and Reds outside-back Luke Morahan were last month targeted for selection in Australia's World Cup squad, sparking a furious behind-the-scenes tussle between the ARU and the Waratahs and Reds.
Cheika was delighted his first-choice playmaker was once again available to start in the back line. NSW is still missing Israel Folau, Rob Horne, Adam Ashley-Cooper and Berrick Barnes, but regular starting backs Foley, Drew Mitchell, Cam Crawford, Peter Betham and Brendan McKibbin will all still feature. ''Foley was desperate to play, as was Lucas, it's a real opportunity to put your name on the map,'' Cheika said. ''I am really glad that Mr Pulver stepped in and made that decision because it's very, very positive for the two lads in their development, as well as what it's going to be for a packed house and a great game.
''We complain when we don't get our way, so we have to accord when something is done on our behalf to make it a better spectacle. It was a good call.''
Cheika is expected to name a virtually unchanged side to that which beat the Force 28-13 last weekend. Breakaway Pat McCutcheon, a late withdrawal from the Force game with a knee knock, completed most of the tough session at Allianz Stadium on Wednesday and is desperate to play on Saturday.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/cheika-grateful-for-getting-his-no10-back-from-sevens-to-meet-the-lions-20130612-2o4gi.html#ixzz2W14ZB6jN

hugehandoff

Back to top Go down

Post by hugehandoff Wed 12 Jun 2013, 5:34 pm

And also...

Welcome to the start of the real British and Irish Lions tour.
After two weeks of polite deference towards the touring party, their complaints about understrength opponents and three blown-out scorelines, the Waratahs have upped the ante, declaring the Lions fair game and vowing to do their bit for the national cause by producing a physical test for the revered visitors.
''I [don't] necessarily care about the British and Irish Lions' lead-up,'' veteran back Drew Mitchell said in response to questions about the quality of Australian sides on the tour to date.
''This is a big opportunity for the NSW Waratahs. We're not here to help them prepare against the Wallabies, we're here to test ourselves against a touring British and Irish Lions team. Their preparation is for them to determine, we're preparing for what this is - a really important game for NSW.''
Advertisement
Coach Michael Cheika also weighed in, sending a reality check to the British and Irish pundits who argue the Lions will head into the three-Test series undercooked after seven warm-up matches against the five Australian Super Rugby teams, a Combined Country side and the Barbarians.
''They'll be fine, they're playing games,'' Cheika said. ''Australia is the team not playing games. I don't know which [approach] is right and which is wrong, I never coached international rugby … but I don't think there's any chance of them going in underdone.
''They've had a full season, the lads have been rested, and I think [Lions coach Warren Gatland] has done it well, he has competition for places humming.''
The last game between the Lions and the Waratahs produced the incident involving Irish five-eighth Ronan O'Gara and NSW utility Duncan McRae, which resulted in a blood-soaked face for the former and a seven-week ban for the latter.
The Waratahs lost that game 41-24, with McRae sitting in disgrace in the NSW dressing room.
''I don't think it's in our nature to be on the back foot, we're going to be going out there to give it to the Lions,'' Mitchell said. ''I'm not alluding to anything that happened in that fixture but, at the same time, no one's going to take a backward step.''
Cheika said the days of major on-field dust-ups were over.
''Even that day was over the top, I suppose, but physicality can occur in a lot of ways: rucks, scrums, contacts, have got to be big from our lads,'' he said.
''We can't come up there and hope we can contain them. We have to be big and not hold anything back, and see if a consistent mentality like that over 80 minutes can put some type of dent in the tank, because it's rolling pretty quickly at the moment.''
The Lions are widely expected to use Saturday's game to give their likely Test side a dry run before the first Test in Brisbane on June 22.
Cheika acknowledged the Waratahs, who will be missing 11 Wallabies and have been forced to bolster their side with club players, would be up against a ''complete'' team. He also said the team would do its best to stretch the Lions in any way it could.
''What we need to do is try and put some doubt in the Lions' minds before Saturday [and the first Test],'' Cheika said.
''I am not really sure how we are going to do that because obviously, on paper, we are no match. But we will try and put some doubt in their minds … You will never soften them up because they're tough and they're hard. They're well conditioned and hard mentally.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/holiday-over-for-tourists-as-tahs-prepare-toughest-test-20130612-2o4gn.html#ixzz2W15WXfwW

hugehandoff

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 12 Jun 2013, 5:37 pm

hugehandoff wrote: Foley, in particular, because he is our playmaker, it is good because we will have that little extra zip. He's a bit of x-factor as well.''
NSW is still missing Israel Folau, Rob Horne, Adam Ashley-Cooper and Berrick Barnes, but regular starting backs Foley, Drew Mitchell, Cam Crawford, Peter Betham and Brendan McKibbin will all still feature.

Delighted Foley will be playing. He looks a good player. Good at eyeing a gap. Shame Folau wont be playing as it would be good to see if he is up to test level.

Drew Mitchell is obviously a threat too.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by andy powells minder Wed 12 Jun 2013, 5:40 pm

I would really like to see the Lions down to 14 at some point on this match....and not accidentally, they really need to test their D before the 1st test and if this is the alleged test side, then give it a go.

I think Gats is shrewd enough to tell them to as well

andy powells minder

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 12 Jun 2013, 5:42 pm

andy powells minder wrote:I would really like to see the Lions down to 14 at some point on this match....and not accidentally, they really need to test their D before the 1st test and if this is the alleged test side, then give it a go.

Maybe thats why Hartley was selected originally.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by andy powells minder Wed 12 Jun 2013, 5:43 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
andy powells minder wrote:I would really like to see the Lions down to 14 at some point on this match....and not accidentally, they really need to test their D before the 1st test and if this is the alleged test side, then give it a go.

Maybe thats why Hartley was selected originally.
Very Happy

andy powells minder

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 12 Jun 2013, 6:03 pm

According to the Standard:

The New South Wales Waratahs, who have former Saracens coach Alan Gaffney on their staff, today revealed that 16 players would be missing from their regular match-day squad.
Ten of those players, including brilliant backs Berrick Barnes (above) and Adam Ashley-Cooper, are in the Wallaby training camp in Brisbane, where the opening Test will be played. The rest are injured.
“It’s a pity we have so many people missing,” said Gaffney. “It’s not a situation of our own making. We haven’t chosen to rest players, as Western Force did in Perth last week, and as we still have some senior blokes available to us we’ll present the Lions with a sterner challenge.
“But it’s a difficult position for everyone involved. Whether or not the Lions will go into the Test series underdone remains to be seen.”

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/rugby/lions-face-another-nonevent-after-waratahs-lose-16-players-8655470.html

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 12 Jun 2013, 6:10 pm

Very good point, the defence in general is not impressive... 

Great news to see Twelvetrees added to the squad today. Might be too late to see him have a real impact, but he is a cracking player and could seriously work well.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by sirBiggles Wed 12 Jun 2013, 6:32 pm

LondonTiger wrote:According to the Standard:

The New South Wales Waratahs, who have former Saracens coach Alan Gaffney on their staff, today revealed that 16 players would be missing from their regular match-day squad.
Ten of those players, including brilliant backs Berrick Barnes (above) and Adam Ashley-Cooper, are in the Wallaby training camp in Brisbane, where the opening Test will be played. The rest are injured.
“It’s a pity we have so many people missing,” said Gaffney. “It’s not a situation of our own making. We haven’t chosen to rest players, as Western Force did in Perth last week, and as we still have some senior blokes available to us we’ll present the Lions with a sterner challenge.
“But it’s a difficult position for everyone involved. Whether or not the Lions will go into the Test series underdone remains to be seen.”

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/rugby/lions-face-another-nonevent-after-waratahs-lose-16-players-8655470.html

Ok, I know that I went on about the Comb Country game being a game worth playing and those saying it was pointless being disrespectful, but it cuts both ways... When you have fixture against a quality side, you expect them to field their best. I can understand if players are injured, but having 16 of their players unavailable, makes me think someone is taking the p!$$.

I'm starting to think that the ARU are not giving this tour any respect at all... Perhaps its time that the Australia fixture is removed from the Lions calendar and replaced with a tour of the PI (Fiji, Tonga and Samoa) or pehaps an Argentinian/S. American tour. I hate to say it, but the Aussies are not paying any respect to the Lions. I dont expect them to kiss the Lions ar$es, but they should at least play their part in the tour.

sirBiggles

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed 12 Jun 2013, 6:53 pm

I think they should have a home tour of the 4 nations. The only extra rule being that the Lions could only take replacements from teams they have already played

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 12 Jun 2013, 7:07 pm

THe Waratahs and Brumbies will be hard tests, more ex-Ints on show than the matches so far
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 12 Jun 2013, 7:10 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:THe Waratahs and Brumbies will be hard tests, more ex-Ints on show than the matches so far

Considering the rarity of Lions tours the players will always give their best. The CC XV gave everything, their skill and fitness level was way below the Lions players but they still caused problems.

Many of those players would never have had an opportunity to play against some of the big names of rugby on show on Tuesday.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 12 Jun 2013, 7:13 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
ChequeredJersey wrote:THe Waratahs and Brumbies will be hard tests, more ex-Ints on show than the matches so far

Considering the rarity of Lions tours the players will always give their best. The CC XV gave everything, their skill and fitness level was way below the Lions players but they still caused problems.

Many of those players would never have had an opportunity to play against some of the big names of rugby on show on Tuesday.

Yes but both White and Cheika have pledged to put out as close to a full strength side as they can, and both sides have some quality non-Wallabies in them. So they will be hard tests, harder even than the Reds I'd think
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 12 Jun 2013, 7:44 pm

I am sure that the Waratahs are putting out as strong a lineup as they can. Missing 16 regulars though suggests it will be rather a lot lower than their SR side.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 12 Jun 2013, 8:01 pm

The weakened Tahs still easily beat the full Strength Force last week
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 12 Jun 2013, 9:47 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Yes but both White and Cheika have pledged to put out as close to a full strength side as they can, and both sides have some quality non-Wallabies in them. So they will be hard tests, harder even than the Reds I'd think

Chatting to Oz based mates they all reckon the Brumbies and Tah's are tough, though in a very different way to the Reds, they won't be so care-free more calculated.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Wed 12 Jun 2013, 10:00 pm

After the last game the Lions played, are you sure that Hibbard is Nailed on?..Both Hibbard and Best had shockers in my opinion.

Regards Sexton, North, Roberts, Bod, are they not carrying some kind of knock? Injury?

I do think that Halfpenny will start in the first test for his kicking duties.

Adam Jones agree with you.

Regards the rest of your team hugeandoff. I do think it is still open on who will start and who will miss out.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 12 Jun 2013, 11:33 pm

Jesus!

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 12 Jun 2013, 11:46 pm

RubyGuby wrote:Jesus!

Yeah I thought the same...!

What did Best or Hibbard do wrong???

Hibbs got a try from what I remember.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 12 Jun 2013, 11:50 pm

No maest. I just thought he was nailed on

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 13 Jun 2013, 12:35 am

RubyGuby wrote:No maest. I just thought he was nailed on

Christ was nailed on, by the Romans...!

Don't have to worry about them, they are playing the Islanders, we are playing Wallabies..!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 13 Jun 2013, 12:58 am

I thought Tom wood was nailed on as we'll. just goes to show!

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 13 Jun 2013, 1:02 am

Twelvetrees could probably take plenty of nails when he gets there...?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Thu 13 Jun 2013, 2:31 am

maestegmafia wrote:
RubyGuby wrote:Jesus!

Yeah I thought the same...!

What did Best or Hibbard do wrong???

Hibbs got a try from what I remember.

As much as I think Madge has said it to wind us up, I believe Hibbard didn't have a good game, very poor in the lineout in a match that his throwing was under no pressure, and his technique is flawed hooking in the scrum and it shows under pressure as he often pops up. Both Best and Hibbard have had less than average tours so far, and although I don't think it will mean a jot, but IMHO Youngs has been the better player.
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 13 Jun 2013, 6:46 am

Saturdays side is :

Lions team: Leigh Halfpenny; Sean Maitland, Jonathan Davies, Jamie Roberts, Simon Zebo; Jonathan Sexton, Mike Phillips; Mako Vunipola, Tom Youngs, Adam Jones, Alun Wyn Jones, Paul O'Connell , Tom Croft, Sam Warburton (capt), Jamie Heaslip.
Replacements: Richard Hibbard, Alex Corbisiero, Dan Cole, Geoff Parling, Dan Lydiate, Ben Youngs, Owen Farrell, Rob Kearney.

With the exception of Hibbard could possibly be the test pack though I have reservations over Heaslip and Croft starting.

Def the starting test half backs for me.

Could to see both 10s involved and shaken off their respective knocks and lets hope Kearney gets a good bit of time off the bench.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Ulster12 Thu 13 Jun 2013, 7:11 am

Strong lions team, that looks very much like a trial test pack to me, though I was sure Lydiate would be starting with Croft off the bench for impact rather than the other way around!

Maybe they are targeting the Waratahs line out, also will help Tom Youngs having his clubmate there.

Love the back three, 3 very skilful elusive runners, complete opposite to the usual power wingers. Just hope Roberts and Davies can gel to get the backline moving, having Sexton there should help.

Warburton needs to have a bloody stormer, fingers crossed he does! Think Kearney will get half an hour with 1/2p at wing for a bit of a trial before the tests, just hope he's not too rusty!!

Ulster12

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 13 Jun 2013, 7:15 am

If he doesn't start then I think Faletau will be on bench for the tests as can pretty much cover the whole of the back row.

North, for me is pretty much nailed on after his recent performances so would be good to see Zebo have a stormer and then you have a bit of guile to go with the power of North.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Thu 13 Jun 2013, 7:50 am

Yes a strong Lions side.

Replace the injured BOD, Manu & North for Roberts,Davies & poss Zebo & you have the first test starters.

Still want Tips instead of Warbs. but it would take a lot of 'pride swallowing'.
Possibly also Gray for AWJs.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 13 Jun 2013, 7:56 am

Really like that team, only concern is Croft/Lydiate, to me you can play one or the other but neither make good enough bench options as they don't cover other positions.

Oh and I think the 4 shirt is still Grey's to lose.

On a side note I was sure that Deans would want to use these games to test some of his inexperienced guys like Israel F, seems odd to wrap them on cotton wool and hope they'll take to the Test arena straight away.

This match needs to be a tough contest as right now the tour just isn't engaging.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Ulster12 Thu 13 Jun 2013, 8:00 am

Heaslip really has to take his chance against the Tahs because Faletau is a big favourite of Gatland and rarely makes mistakes to play himself out of any teams.

Could we see SOB at 8 on Tuesday with both the 8s bring rested or Faletau making a cameo off the bench on the flank as an trial role for coming off the bench in the tests?

Yes North is definetly nailed on with the right wing wide open. Sir Clive Woodward wrote an article yesterday saying how he would play Hogg at 14 with North and 1/2p. Could be a good option, Hogg is electric going forward but did miss a few tackles against the CC XV.

Ive been impressed with Maitland though, classy runner and doseant make many errors. Zebo will probably end up playing Saturday and Tuesday. Kearney being fit changes everything too as I'm sure Gatland will want him to feature in the tests but he would have to start on Tuesday to prove he is ready to play at the top level. So many options!

Ulster12

Back to top Go down

Post by Ulster12 Thu 13 Jun 2013, 8:00 am

Heaslip really has to take his chance against the Tahs because Faletau is a big favourite of Gatland and rarely makes mistakes to play himself out of any teams.

Could we see SOB at 8 on Tuesday with both the 8s bring rested or Faletau making a cameo off the bench on the flank as an trial role for coming off the bench in the tests?

Yes North is definetly nailed on with the right wing wide open. Sir Clive Woodward wrote an article yesterday saying how he would play Hogg at 14 with North and 1/2p. Could be a good option, Hogg is electric going forward but did miss a few tackles against the CC XV.

Ive been impressed with Maitland though, classy runner and doseant make many errors. Zebo will probably end up playing Saturday and Tuesday. Kearney being fit changes everything too as I'm sure Gatland will want him to feature in the tests but he would have to start on Tuesday to prove he is ready to play at the top level. So many options!

Ulster12

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 13 Jun 2013, 8:13 am

If Youngs hits his jumpers again, and continues to make the tackles and clear out rucks coudl he actually be challenging for a starting spot? Would be one hell of a story.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 13 Jun 2013, 8:21 am

For me Youngs is the best hooker on tour so far. The other two need to work on their consistency to challenge him, but we'll know more after this game which will be a lot tougher.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Ulster12 Thu 13 Jun 2013, 8:26 am

Certainly looks like he's being seriously thought of as a test starter. From u20 centre to Lions hooker, hard to believe! Such a powerful ball carrier,makes me wish I had seen him play when he was a centre just to compare it to now!

Ulster12

Back to top Go down

Post by valtrepkos Thu 13 Jun 2013, 9:06 am

If youngs hits his line out on Saturday he'll start the tests I'd have thought as the other aspects of his game are so strong - he's fantastic story!

valtrepkos

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Thu 13 Jun 2013, 9:35 am

If youngs can hit his men this time then he starts for me. Heaslip looks to have seen off the challenge of faletau by his selection. Faletau won't have started a match in 10 days by the time tuesday comes round and I can't see a first XV on Tuesday.

I wouldn't rule SOB out yet for 6 but croft (in particular) needed another game to stake a claim. Maitland looks in good shape for a wing spot.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 13 Jun 2013, 9:36 am

This is going to be a proper game - they haven't just released Foley and Lucas from the 7s team for this match - they've also released their captain Dave Dennis and centre Rob Horne from the Wallabies squad.

So that means in real money that the Tahs are missing Benn Robinson, Sekope Kepu, Kane Douglas, Michael Hooper, Wycliff Palu, Berrick Barnes, Adam Ashley-Cooper and Israel Folau to the Wallabies and also Polota Nau and Timani to injury.

So it will be a relatively weakened Tahs team (who have not been anywhere near as consistent as the Red and Brumbies this season) but there's still a lot of class out there and Foley is a dead-eye goalkicker - better than JOC and almost as good as LLF. As has been pointed out above, his tactical kicking is excellent too.

Edit: I just hope to hell that Kearney and Warbs are actually ready and aren't being rushed back because this is essentially the last chance saloon for their continued involvement on the tour. Wales/Ireland don't want these guys seriously injured with next season's pre-season training already started.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ulster12 Thu 13 Jun 2013, 9:57 am

Croft and Dennis will have a good battle at the back of the lineout.

Horne is a pretty tough tackling centre isn't he? Will give them a bit of steel against the Welsh pair.

Foley has been in great form all year,really good to see these players lining up against the lions, just wish the likes of Palu,AAC and Barnes were too.

Ulster12

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 13 Jun 2013, 9:59 am

Does this mean Gray is not being considered in the test 22? Would be a bit of a surprise I think, but then again BoD isn’t involved and would be an even bigger surprise if he isn’t in the squad…!

Strong team – and looking good for Maitland for a test spot.  Strong game here and he might get the nod.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Thu 13 Jun 2013, 10:07 am

You can only take a good guess at selection in certain areas.

For instance croft in and no O'Brien I don't read too much into as the are 3 blindsides and croft only has one start. I'm not certain which way Gatland will go there. Gray has played enough. I feel a two sorry for Parling as he would be in the mix for me but I don't see it with Gatland.

What I would deduce

Best isn't in his plans
Grant ditto
The props for the 23 are easy to call albeit I wouldn't guess who starts
POC will start. Hard to call his partner
Heaslip has edged out faletau barring a shocking performance
Phillips/sexton is our test combo
Halfpenny is our test 15
Cuthbert has lost a massive amount of trust defensively
Roberts is looking good for 12

Some of those could have been picked a good while back but Heaslip is the big winner here.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 13 Jun 2013, 10:09 am

Really hope Warburton has a strong game – irrespective of whether he is an automatic pick or not in terms of the individual, team and Lions brand you need your captain to have justified his place.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 13 Jun 2013, 10:10 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Does this mean Gray is not being considered in the test 22? Would be a bit of a surprise I think, but then again BoD isn’t involved and would be an even bigger surprise if he isn’t in the squad…!

Strong team – and looking good for Maitland for a test spot.  Strong game here and he might get the nod.

What's with this special Moderator Font, RDW?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Thu 13 Jun 2013, 10:10 am

I'm hoping we get to see Will Skelton line up for the Tahs. The guy is a beast and a future Wallaby IMO. The lions could do with facing someone bigger than them for a change.

I like the look of the lions side but its not the test XV. I expect chaps like Gray, Tuilagi, O'Driscoll, Hogg  and O'Brien to come into the 23 come next week.

Need to see big performances from AW Jones & Warburton especially.... I'm not sure if AW Jones can wrestle the shirt from Gray but a MoM performance could do it. Warburton... if ever someone needed a big game this is it. 

Also looking forward to seeing Phillips and Sexton together vs. a real side. This side still beat the 1st side of the Force very comfortably.... lost out on a bonus point win on a TMO on the final whistle.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Thu 13 Jun 2013, 10:12 am

This does look a strong team but I'm don't think we should look at specific omissions and infer that players aren't going to make the test 23.  This is the 4th of just 6 games in Australia before the first test and as I've said previously I don't expect the starting team to take the field together before the 22nd.  Gatland will have a chance to look at different combinations but not enough games to determine and then test his preferred XV.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 13 Jun 2013, 10:12 am

George Carlin wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Does this mean Gray is not being considered in the test 22? Would be a bit of a surprise I think, but then again BoD isn’t involved and would be an even bigger surprise if he isn’t in the squad…!

What's with this special Moderator Font, RDW?
Ha, it’s because of the new set up the forum has got!

Because I am at work I write my posts on my outlook before pasting it into the thread, to avoid the amount of time 606V2 is on my screen – for some reason the new website format copies over the font and colour etc!

There is a clear formatting button now so that should make me back to normal…

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Thu 13 Jun 2013, 10:16 am

Its the combinations rather I agree offload.

Croft, Warburton and Heasliip look like a test backrow. If Warburton is back on form then O'Brien will be likely to sit on the bench with Tipuric unlucky. If Warburton is unconvincing then I see Tipuric starting and O'Brien dropping out the 23.

The 3/4s also looks a likely combo. Maitland is a better all round player than Hogg, a better finisher and winger for certain. He is used to SH rugby also and will not be phased with playing someone as savvy as Folau for instance.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 13 Jun 2013, 10:20 am

At the moment I think these are the XV that Gatland has in mind but still some time to rethink his starting XV

1 - A Jones
2 - Hibbard (Youngs challenging)
3 - Vunipolo (Corbisiero)
4 - POC
5 - Grey (AWJ challenging)
6 - SOB (Lydiate)
7 - Warburton (Tipuric)
8 - Heaslip (Falatau)
9 - Phillips (Youngs challenging)
10 - Sexton
11 - Maitland
12 - BOD
13 - Roberts
14 - Giganto North
15 - 1/2p

There are places still to be competing for and in all honesty we are in the dark about some of the knocks. However, talking to Gats last night, that is the XV that he currently has pencilled in - Let's see what develops. OK

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 13 Jun 2013, 10:23 am

Rubyguby - other than having the props, 2nd row and centres the wrong way round that is probably spot on.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 13 Jun 2013, 10:24 am

I rate Croft, but he hasn't played well enough to get himself a test spot yet.

Best backrow on tour so far, Tipuric - Heaslip - O'Brien

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 11 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next