The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lions Ratings vs Waratahs

+12
wales606
littlejohn
doctor_grey
flyhalffactory
glamorganalun
Shifty
HammerofThunor
Aelandor
tooboredtowork
maestegmafia
westisbest
LondonTiger
16 posters

Go down

Lions Ratings vs Waratahs Empty Lions Ratings vs Waratahs

Post by LondonTiger Sat 15 Jun 2013, 2:46 pm

Usually this sort of thread appears within seconds of a match finishing, but I have had time to bake a chocolate fudge cake with my girls and eat lunch (bet another pops up as I write this). So these are purely my thoughts, would love to see others.

Leigh Halfpenny 9 - We know he can kick, we know he usually makes his tackles. Showed he can attack today too. Some excellent running lines to score his two tries and had a try assist also.

Sean Maitland 4 - Looked fragile in defence I thought, and rarely seen in attack. Did not enhance his test claims

Jonathan Davies 9 - Excellent game in attack, his reading of running lines was fantastic and demonstrated an excellent short passing and offloading ability as evidenced by 3 try assists. Longer passes are still very wobbly and at times his eagerness in defence saw him fly up too fast. This is nitpicking what was a stunning performance.

Jamie Roberts 6 - Made his tackles, but I felt that he looked off the pace in attack and even before his injury was at risk of playing his way off the team.

Simon Zebo 7 - He reminds me at times of Simon Geoghegan with some really eye catching running, but not as many tries as you would expect. Broken field running was superb, but loses a point for failing to score either of the chances that came his way.

Jonny Sexton 8 - Controlled the game really well before being taken off early with what hopefully was just a little knock.

Mike Phillips 7 - Mr Marmite had one of those days. Was really good at what he does well, especially when combined with Croft he stopped that fat Tah getting over the line. A powerful presence he is nailed on to start next week, but his slowness and wonkyness of pass will have left detractors wishing they could see what Sexton could have done with Youngs service.

Jamie Heaslip 7 - Poor control and communication with Phillips at one scrum aside, I felt it was a solid enough display by him. He always offers some good running lines and it was a shame that support was too far behing on his second half break.

Sam Warburton 8 - OK he is a different type of 7 to Justin Tipuric, but I feel he is better suited to the test environment than the Osprey. He made his tackles, slowed down opposition ball and secured some turnovers. A good game that will have guaranteed his starting berth.

Tom Croft 7 - His role is generally to defend a touch further out from the ruck where his pace can be used, allowing the tight forqwards to defend closer. The missed tackle loses him a mark, but otherwise he made his tackles, won some turnovers, stole a lineout and drove ther ball up close at times.

Paul O'Connell 8 - Did what he does, and looked back to his best.

Alun-Wyn Jones 8 - May well have played his way back into a Lions test shirt.

Adam Jones 6 - Not really his sort of game. Did nothing wrong and is nailed on to start the 1st test, but was not seen much.

Tom Youngs 8 - Hit his jumpers (and despite Stuart Barnes comments some were to the back jumper), made his tackles, carried the ball round the fringes. My worry of looking partisan loses him a mark.

Mako Vunipola 5 - Tried hard but to little effect. Lost the ball in contact on several occasions.

Reps
Owen Farrell 7 - First man on, controlled affairs well, mixed up his passing with some good short and long efforts and kicked his goals
Ben Youngs 7 - I thought he looked sharp when he came on. Would have loved to see him playing with Sexton for a bit of the game.
Alex Corbisiero 6 - Gave away one penalty at the scrum, but also won two.
Richard Hibbard 5 - Missed his jumper on (only?) lineout and otherwise was barely seen.
Dan Cole 6 - solid, but not the sort of cameo that will earn him a starting spot.
Geoff Parling 6 - solid, stole one lineout, but not the sort of cameo that will earn him a starting spot.
Dan Lydiate 6 - solid, but not the sort of cameo that will earn him a starting spot.
Rob Kearney - will have been glad to finally get on the pitch.

Last edited by LondonTiger on Sat 15 Jun 2013, 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot Ben Youngs)

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Lions Ratings vs Waratahs Empty Re: Lions Ratings vs Waratahs

Post by westisbest Sat 15 Jun 2013, 2:54 pm

Agree with that on a whole.

Especially Maitland, was poor tonight.

Would love to see Zebo on the other wing to North if fit.

Davies put his hand up even more for a starting place.

Do think BOD will start.

Am sure Warburton will start, other backrow will be interesting.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 15 Jun 2013, 2:59 pm

Pretty accurate there LT...

Why did you give Farrell a 7 when it was so obvious the difference in the game when he came on. 5 is a far better score, he made a good kick to Zebo but that was all he did.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by tooboredtowork Sat 15 Jun 2013, 3:00 pm

Those who put in really positive perfomances:

Halfpenny (possibly the only player nailed on before even leaving the UK. One of the classiest players in World Rugby).
Warburton - I thought he was good around the breakdown. Tipuric may offer more out wide, but Warbs is better where it counts.
O'Connell - no more to be said. Other locks all playing for the supporting role.
Wyn-Jones - Probably secured that role in what for me was a MOM performance (did not hang around to find out who got MOM).
Davies - stunning performance. Shame it is him or BOD (unless the unthinkable happens to Roberts, hope not).
Croft - playing his usual game. It is just whether or not this is the game the Lions want. If they do, then the 7 shirt has to be Warburton.
Sexton - clearly has a far superior attacking game to Farrell.

Only player really in negative will be Maitland.

tooboredtowork

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 15 Jun 2013, 3:03 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Pretty accurate there LT...

Why did you give Farrell a 7 when it was so obvious the difference in the game when he came on. 5 is a far better score, he made a good kick to Zebo but that was all he did.

I felt he was pretty decent actually. Not brilliant but decent. Perhaps I am allowing what I perceive to be over the top negativity from posters who dislike him to edge me into giving a 7 rather than a 6. Farrell is now one of those players who will attract unfair criticism because he is disliked.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Aelandor Sat 15 Jun 2013, 3:05 pm

Have to agree with Maestegmafia there, 7 for Farrell? Mixed up his passing? Well sometimes he passed to another Lion and sometimes he passed to no-one, so I suppose that is mixing it up. By the way the kick to Zebo was made when there was a huge overlap. If Sexton was still on it would have been 7 points to the Lions.

4 or 5 points from me

Aelandor

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 15 Jun 2013, 3:09 pm

Got to say I didn't think Farell was a 7. Too many poor passes and lose kicks.

I'm really hoping Flood is in form at the beginning of the season.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 15 Jun 2013, 3:10 pm

OK, I have to accept I may have Farrell wrong. What about the other 22?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 15 Jun 2013, 3:16 pm

Rating seem mostly fair, your a bit hard on Hibbard, he normally takes a while to get warmed up in games.  He isn't really a bench player.  He's the guy you want on the field to kick seven bells out of the opposition for the first 60 minutes.

You over rated Farrell as well, he's not "yet" ready for this level of rugby.  Too much too soon, in my opinion.  

People are being a bit hard on Heaslip in my opinion, he works well with O'Brien.  Warburton works well with Lydiate, their games are enhanced when their in tandem.

Otherwise pretty spot on
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Sat 15 Jun 2013, 3:22 pm

Good and fair scoring for the staring 15, I don't like scoring subs for the last 15 mins when they come on block.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sat 15 Jun 2013, 3:33 pm

I thought the subs came on and did well, maybe Hibbard again looked laboured contributed to losing two turnovers. I would select Youngs but we know Mr G will go with Hibbard.

Agree very fair assessment of the match OP
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 15 Jun 2013, 3:36 pm

flyhalffactory wrote:I thought the subs came on and did well, maybe Hibbard again looked laboured contributed to losing two turnovers. I would select Youngs but we know Mr G will go with Hibbard.

Agree very fair assessment of the match OP

I really do not know. I think you are right, but Tom Youngs has played in both the big weekend matches so far, and Gatland seemed to distrust Hibbard in Oz last summer.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 15 Jun 2013, 3:48 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:Pretty accurate there LT...

I felt he was pretty decent actually. Not brilliant but decent. Perhaps I am allowing what I perceive to be over the top negativity from posters who dislike him to edge me into giving a 7 rather than a 6. Farrell is now one of those players who will attract unfair criticism because he is disliked.

LT

I dislike him because he is not a good player. This is meant to be the best of british, he isn't even best of English in the majority's opinion...!

You keep stating that there is another factor?? You should explain yourself.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 15 Jun 2013, 3:49 pm

LondonTiger wrote:OK, I have to accept I may have Farrell wrong. What about the other 22?

all opinion so no right or wrong. Agree with everything else although I tend to give lower scores across the board (so relatively right).

not sure what's goin on with the quotes but I can't get out of them Shocked

Last edited by HammerofThunor on Sat 15 Jun 2013, 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 15 Jun 2013, 3:56 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:OK, I have to accept I may have Farrell wrong. What about the other 22?

all opinion so no right or wrong. Agree with everything else although I tend to give lower scores across the board (so relatively right).

Owen Farrell, Lions 10 says: wrote:To fix the quote problem, once you click on the quote button, and the chat box opens, click on the last icon to the right.  It says 'switch editor mode'.  Click on that and it reverts to the traditional quote process.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 15 Jun 2013, 3:57 pm

doctor_grey wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:

Owen Farrell, Lions 10 says: wrote:To fix the quote problem, once you click on the quote button, and the chat box opens, click on the last icon to the right.  It says 'switch editor mode'.  Click on that and it reverts to the traditional quote process.

Cheers

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by littlejohn Sat 15 Jun 2013, 3:58 pm

A W Jones was my motm - I'm not usually a fan of his but he worked his socks off, was a nuisance in the rucks, had a lovely few bursts going forward and showed great aerial skills the lineout and kick receive. He's played his way into the starting 15, and I can see Grey on the bench coming on for POC after 55-60 mins.

littlejohn

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 15 Jun 2013, 3:59 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:

Cheers

Well done...!!!

Everyone has been having the same issue

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 15 Jun 2013, 4:06 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:

Cheers
Well done...!!!

Owen Farrell, Brilliant Lions 10, and Man About Town says: wrote:Aw c'mon boys.  That was funny.  Admit it.  And all I get is a nice little cheers or well done.  
Owen Farrell done good.  
Owen Farrell is funny.  
You like Owen Farrell.  
Admit it.  
I know you want to.
No problems, Gents.  Happy to help.  I just asked Owen Farrell for a little help!

Last edited by doctor_grey on Sat 15 Jun 2013, 4:09 pm; edited 2 times in total

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 15 Jun 2013, 4:07 pm

Not really able to judge the subs from what I saw

About right for the starting XV, although I would give POC and AWJ both a 9

Davies, Halfpenny, POC and AWJ could literally have done nothing more to improve their test claim - all 4 had fantastic games and proved their critics wrong

I have been particularly impressed with Halfpenny, Hogg showed him what an attacking FB can do in broken field and he has been criticised for not hitting the line enough - in the last 2 games he has improved this a lot, he has hit the line and come in at first receiver at times - it has paid off for him and he has scored 3 tries in his last 2 game, as well as kicking all his points but for 1 missed conversion.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by jelly Sat 15 Jun 2013, 4:10 pm

doctor_grey wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:

Cheers
Well done...!!!

Owen Farrell, Brilliant Lions 10, and Man About Town says: wrote:Aw c'mon boys.  That was funny.  Admit it.  And all I get is a nice little cheers or well done.  
Owen Farrell done good.  
Owen Farrell is funny.  
You like Owen Farrell.  
Admit it.  
I know you want to.
No problems, Gents.  Happy to help.  I just asked Owen Farrell for a little help!

Yes, but no doubt it was Farrell's fault in the first place.

jelly

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 15 Jun 2013, 4:16 pm

doctor_grey wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:

Cheers
Well done...!!!

Owen Farrell done good.  
Owen Farrell is funny.  
You like Owen Farrell.  
Admit it.  
I know you want to.

Well he had to be good for something, because Lions rugby is certainly not his forte...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 15 Jun 2013, 4:16 pm

jelly wrote:Yes, but no doubt it was Farrell's fault in the first place.
Owen Farrell, Lions 10, hung like a bull, and computer geek, says: wrote:That was funny.  
Owen Farrell accepts blame when it is his fault.
Owen Farrell sabotaged 606v2 because his feelings have been hurt.
Owen Farrell sad.
Owen Farrell just wants to be loved.
Will you be my friend?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sat 15 Jun 2013, 4:28 pm

Is 5 a fair score for Mako? I missed a fair bit of the game so perhaps he had a shocker early on, but after that - one bad, lazy, knock-on aside, I thought his carrying alone was worth a 7. He always makes yards in the tight.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 15 Jun 2013, 4:45 pm

Hood, I felt he carried to no effect today. I try not to rely on stats but the match stats do support that, something like 7 yards in 9 carries. He also lost the ball in contact 3 times I think.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Sat 15 Jun 2013, 4:50 pm

Interestingly, Mako was one of the people singled out for praise by Gatland, after JD, AWJ, Halfpenny and the like.He looked pretty good to me - think we're sometimes in danger of splitting hairs in the quest for top performances from our lads. Very few should be anything other than satisfied with their efforts today; I suspect that they have increased the headaches for the selection panel and I also reckon that the odd name in Tuesday's match may yet get the chance to start in the 1st Test.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sat 15 Jun 2013, 5:02 pm

Fair enough LondonTiger. I'm very surprised by those stats but I won't challenge them. I think other posters have made the point re scrummaging and that's definitely something he needs to improve. Maybe it'll be Corbs starting - I think he's a little under cooked at the moment.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 15 Jun 2013, 5:34 pm

Mako is almost certainly starting I reckon. Part of the reason Gats would have been talking him up maybe?

He has earned the right to start with his efforts, but right now I would prefer the better scrummager to start, and Mako to come on a bit later.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Sat 15 Jun 2013, 10:22 pm

A 4 for Maitland is a bit harsh.  He was too quick to dive in for the tackle in the lead up to the first tah's try, but he was chasing down and it wasn't his fault he was in that position.  Had Halfpenny not come into the line for his first try then Maitland scores that one.  He was where he was meant to be and was looking for work more in the second half and was strong in the tackle therafter.  He was worth a 6 imo.  I had expected a better showing but like his last start on the wing, the ball seemed to go more to the other side.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down