The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shane Williams gets Lions call up (this is not a joke)

+68
Breadvan
Higher_Ground
Scarpia
Taffineastbourne
509boy
patersonismyhero
glamorganalun
The Bachelor
robbo277
The Saint
hugehandoff
irnbrew
kingjohn7
broadlandboy
tigerleghorn
Tattie Scones RRN
nathan
Cyril
wales606
dragonbreath
Coleman
The Great Aukster
sirBiggles
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
bedfordwelsh
Dontheman
Allty
stevetynant
sad_gimp
RDW
nobbled
jammoboss
tigertattie
offload
RuggerRadge2611
Portnoy's Complaint
doddieman
whocares
LondonTiger
Shifty
irfon17
George Carlin
fa0019
majesticimperialman
Alex_Germany
Rugby Fan
t1000advancedprototype
flyhalffactory
logie28
Knowsit17
Cryptoyourisan
gavstar
JmD
Hookisms and Hyperbole
LeinsterFan4life
Looseheaded
Goosestepper
jeffwinger
IanBru
westisbest
Barney McGrew did it
Rory_Gallagher
valtrepkos
jelly
Ozzy3213
SecretFly
Metal Tiger
GLove39
72 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Shane Williams gets Lions call up (this is not a joke) Empty Shane Williams gets Lions call up (this is not a joke)

Post by GLove39 Sun 16 Jun 2013, 12:04 am

Named in team for Brumbies!!!!!

How many extra backs have they called up now??? 
Will Williams be fit given he's retired and gone onto commentary?

Last edited by GLove39 on Sun 16 Jun 2013, 12:12 am; edited 1 time in total

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Shane Williams gets Lions call up (this is not a joke) Empty Re: Shane Williams gets Lions call up (this is not a joke)

Post by Metal Tiger Sun 16 Jun 2013, 12:09 am

Laugh Well at least this will stop all the whinging about Barret.

Last edited by Metal Tiger on Sun 16 Jun 2013, 12:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Metal Tiger
Metal Tiger

Back to top Go down

Shane Williams gets Lions call up (this is not a joke) Empty Re: Shane Williams gets Lions call up (this is not a joke)

Post by GLove39 Sun 16 Jun 2013, 12:11 am

Williams will join squad on Monday and leave on Wednesday Headscratch

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 16 Jun 2013, 12:14 am

Lions and Guest stars.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Sun 16 Jun 2013, 12:15 am

Metal Tiger wrote:Laugh Well at least this will stop all the whinging about Barret.

Will it my orse!!!
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by jelly Sun 16 Jun 2013, 12:16 am

Look at that back line

9 Youngs
10 Hogg
11 Williams
12 Barritt
13 Twelvetrees
14 Wade
15 Kearney

You'd have got incredibly long odds on that about 2 days ago, let alone before the start of the tour.

jelly

Back to top Go down

Post by valtrepkos Sun 16 Jun 2013, 12:20 am

Surely Maitland, Zebo or Cuthbert could have done a shift on the wing - even hogg with farrell at 10?

valtrepkos

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun 16 Jun 2013, 12:20 am

I can't believe this is real. But it is. Here is the link:

http://www.lionsrugby.com/news/12147.php#.Ubz2ehbvx68

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney McGrew did it Sun 16 Jun 2013, 12:24 am

Shane who?
Barney McGrew did it
Barney McGrew did it

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sun 16 Jun 2013, 12:24 am

First game then for both centres and wingers.

Strange one Williams, considering he had retired.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by jelly Sun 16 Jun 2013, 12:25 am

Feel a bit sorry for Hogg. He's had very little time to impress in his main position and this will be his second game at 10 where he has little chance of getting picked ahead of Sexton or Farrell.

jelly

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sun 16 Jun 2013, 12:25 am

would have played Zebo again at 11.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun 16 Jun 2013, 12:26 am

So I assume anyone on this tuesday team will likely not be considered as a starter for the first test?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Sun 16 Jun 2013, 12:30 am

Jesus, this crystal meth is strong tonight.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sun 16 Jun 2013, 12:31 am

Would'nt have thought the 4new guys would be.

BOD,Davies/Roberts(if fit),Tuilagi

North, if ifit, Zebo, then Cuthbert, Maitland.

What i would like to see.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by jeffwinger Sun 16 Jun 2013, 12:32 am

He never had an official 'last ever Lions match'...

jeffwinger

Back to top Go down

Post by Goosestepper Sun 16 Jun 2013, 12:37 am

GLove39 wrote:Named in team for Brumbies!!!!!

How many extra backs have they called up now??? 
Will Williams be fit given he's retired and gone onto commentary?

The British & Irish Lions today announced the team to play the Brumbies at Canberra Stadium next Tuesday.

Ireland’s Rory Best will captain the team in the last tour game before the 1st Test in Brisbane on Saturday.

England centre Billy Tw...elvetrees, who arrived in Sydney on Friday, will make his Lions debut alongside Brad Barritt, who joins the tour from America where he was on vacation.

Former Wales and Lions wing Shane Williams, currently playing in Japan, will start on the left wing while young England wing Christian Wade, who made his Test debut last weekend against Argentina, will play on the right.

British & Irish Lions vs Brumbies

15. Rob Kearney (Leinster/Ireland)
14. Christian Wade (London Wasps/England)
13. Brad Barritt (Saracens/England)
12. Billy Twelvetrees (Gloucester Rugby/England)
11. Shane Williams (Mitsubishi Dynaboars, Wales)
10. Stuart Hogg (Glasgow Warriors/Scotland)
9. Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers/England)
1. Ryan Grant (Glasgow Warriors/Scotland)
2. Rory Best (Ulster/Ireland, capt)
3. Matt Stevens (Saracens/England)
4. Ian Evans (Ospreys/Wales)
5. Richie Gray (Scotalnd)
6. Sean O’Brien (Leinster/Ireland)
7. Justin Tipuric (Ospreys/Wales)
8. Tangaki Taulupe Faletau (Dragons/Wales)

Replacements

16. Richard Hibbard (Ospreys/Wales)
17. Alex Corbisiero (London Irish/England)
18. Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers/England)
19. Geoff Parling (Leicester Tigers/England)
20. Dan Lydiate (Dragons/Wales)
21. Conor Murray (Munster/Ireland)
22. Owen Farrell (Saracens/England)
23. Simon Zebo (Munster/Ireland)

Goosestepper

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 16 Jun 2013, 12:38 am

I think if the Lions are inviting back blasts from the past, then Big Phil Vickery should get a call. 

If these extra fly-ins don't stop, Clive Woodward's overcooked egg record might be broken by the last test.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Sun 16 Jun 2013, 12:43 am

Damn I was so close to betting that backline would happen, i'd be set for life. In other news i am ecstatic about this call, mainly because i'm drunk but also it brings back some drama and surprise to the tour as opposed to the sort of predictability of professionalism

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sun 16 Jun 2013, 12:57 am

I really did think this was a joke until I seen the link.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Hookisms and Hyperbole Sun 16 Jun 2013, 1:06 am

There is still a few guys who could get a place in the 23 for Saturday.  Best could sneak ahead of the very underwhelming Hibbard for the bench.  Gray might be able to push AWJ since he was in possession of the shirt before today.  The whole backrow are also contenders for next week too.  

As for Shane Williams LaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh Its a joke of a decision

Hookisms and Hyperbole

Back to top Go down

Post by JmD Sun 16 Jun 2013, 1:13 am

That backline is so weak, the Lions could really struggle with this match. One player who is a commentator, 3 players who are just off the plane, a 15 at 10, and a 15 who is just back from injury.

JmD

Back to top Go down

Post by gavstar Sun 16 Jun 2013, 1:43 am

mind games ,mind games, gatland is master of mind games.  little bit of shane magic, just what we need.

think about the message this is sending out to the oz, i'm going deep, real deep,  ha ha i love it !!!!!!Walesclapidea

gavstar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cryptoyourisan Sun 16 Jun 2013, 2:49 am

Might as well be a joke. Should have taken a third stand-off, i.e. Madigan, or James Hook who covers 10, 12, 13 and 15 reasonably well. I don't see what picking Williams will bring, unless Zebo is a dead-cert for the tests.

Cryptoyourisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sun 16 Jun 2013, 3:16 am

Christ, three unexpected backs called up in the space of 24 hours! I'm not sure my poor heart could take another surprise call-up...

At this point I'd advise people to not jump to snap conclusions and just let them all show their worth come Tuesday. I'll admit to knowing nothing about how Shane has been showing up since he moved so I won't assume this way or that. Chuffed with Twelvetrees and Wade getting a call, not so much Barritt and Shane's the mystery package. Suddenly can't wait for tuesday!

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by logie28 Sun 16 Jun 2013, 3:50 am

nuts, its all fricken nuts..

logie28

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sun 16 Jun 2013, 4:00 am

Gatland has all but destroyed the Lions as an institution.

There are players who put their hands up before the original selection was announced SCOTT, MADIGAN, BIGGAR, and they are all fit and playing well at this moment.

Yet Gatland has further ridiculed the Lions brand by selecting Barritt who hasn't played for how long?..... 4-6 weeks or more?, and brings nothing to the midfield and now a 36yr old who has retired from International rugby for 19 months and is playing in the second tier of Japan rugby.

And..........what does Mr G say

"He is in pretty good nick," .

"He has been boxing as well, but hopefully that is not going to be needed on Tuesday.

This just all beggars belief.
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by t1000advancedprototype Sun 16 Jun 2013, 5:41 am

I PREDICTED THIS. 

YOU ALL CALLED ME MAD.

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sun 16 Jun 2013, 5:59 am

Gatland is discovering that you often need cover for your cover on Lions tours.

I'm not sure Gatland deserves a slating for his selections. If he had covered evey position based on the attrition we've seen so far, then his squad would have needed to be as big as Woodward's

He probably imagined Bowe and North as potential midfield cover so, in effect, We've lost four out of six, (not including Farrell as another option, given he's needed to cover 10).

Actually, we've been lucky so far at scrum half. All three are fit so we've got a surplus in a position which usually sees at least one high profile casualty.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by t1000advancedprototype Sun 16 Jun 2013, 6:16 am

One of the best players ever.
Undroppable for a decade.
Retired wasn't dropped.
Still fit.

Good choice.

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sun 16 Jun 2013, 6:23 am

Rugby Fan wrote:Gatland is discovering that you often need cover for your cover on Lions tours.

I'm not sure Gatland deserves a slating for his selections. If he had covered evey position based on the attrition we've seen so far, then his squad would have needed to be as big as Woodward's

He probably imagined Bowe and North as potential midfield cover so, in effect, We've lost four out of six, (not including Farrell as another option, given he's needed to cover 10).

Actually, we've been lucky so far at scrum half. All three are fit so we've got a surplus in a position which usually sees at least one high profile casualty.

Originally he selected only 2 FHs which is insane, at the same time he selected 7 wings if you consider 1/2p, Kearney, and Hogg have played there and 4 FBs including Maitland.

Now we know we might have picked up injuries but why hasn't he called up players who are actually playing NOW and playing well as I said we have Madigan and Scott both playing adventurous footballers and both on form and can cover 10, 12, 13.

Or he could have called up Biggar who has played well in Japan (ironically where Shane is), he could cover 10 instead of Hogg who could then cover wing or FB

Or if he wants to cover wing then why not call up Byrne to cover FB and 1/2p to the wing, that way 1/2p (who showed yesterday that he still has an eye for the try-line) still plays in the test side and we have a world class winger covering North if injured.

So that's the FB / Wing / Centre covered

Instead he calls up a guy on hols and a 36 yr old who hasn't smelled an international for NINETEEN MONTHS

So what do you call that?
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by t1000advancedprototype Sun 16 Jun 2013, 6:28 am

Is Ieuan Evans fit?

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sun 16 Jun 2013, 6:29 am

t1000advancedprototype wrote:One of the best players ever.
Undroppable for a decade.
Retired wasn't dropped.
Still fit.

Good choice.

Shouldn't you be in bed
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex_Germany Sun 16 Jun 2013, 7:19 am

I suppose Shane Williams was called up to restore Welsh balance - Gatland realised with the extra English guys the Welsh contingent was going to fall below 50%.

I can't remotely believe he'll play a test - but he could teach a thing or two to the big straight runners.

Alex_Germany

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 16 Jun 2013, 7:22 am

The Lions must be getting very desperate that's all i can say.

Just how bad are the injuries too the Lions squad?

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sun 16 Jun 2013, 7:45 am

flyhalffactory wrote:Originally he selected only 2 FHs which is insane

I think he should have selected another 10 but we haven't really suffered at fly half. You don't seem to be arguing for just another 10 so much as you would have wanted to see someone who can play 10 while also covering a position in which we are short.

And there lies the problem. Once we know which injuries a Lions squad is going to have, it's relatively easy to retro-fit a squad which would have covered those losses with more utility selections. Without knowing in advance, you would need to follow Woodward and take a bumper-sized squad. After all, it's pretty amazing that, outside Warburton's slow start, we have suffered no attrition at all at back row or lock. Along with scrum half, those are positions which almost always see one or two players go down, if only for a match or two.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Sun 16 Jun 2013, 7:54 am

He has a mixed lions pedigree but if its for one game it's understandable. He's close, he's fit and you know what you'll get from him... He's an old pro, he won't be fazed by it all. Hs also known to then lions staff.... A bit like tim Payne in the last tour.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 16 Jun 2013, 8:11 am

I am assuming that Gatland is trying to win a bet for fielding the teeniest backline in Lions history. Does anyone, all joking aside, have any meaningful information about how the Squashed Goblin has been playing?

Jaysus M&J I never thought that I'd write that again. This isn't American wrestling - WTF does Gats think he is doing with his 'liginds come back' approach? "Who doesn't live that far away? I KNOW". Expect to see Wilko and Gerald Davies called up for the first test and for Gats to remove his latex mask to reveal that he is none other than Nick Mallett.

Edit 1: I am assuming that this team is playing largely for bench spots.

Edit 2: First time I've seen a written acknowledgement that North might be carrying an injury, which is very very bad news if it's true. However, with Gats (who will want to avoid any accusations of hothousing/not respecting his opponent), I cannot be entirely convinced that this is the real reason Gorgeous is sitting this one out. Cue him being shown on the sidelines looking intense and with a comedically large strapping on his knee. chin
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by irfon17 Sun 16 Jun 2013, 8:31 am

Beacuse this is only for one game, I don't think it is the crazy decision others think (though I concede it is a little unorthodox).

It is just to cover a single tour game, he won't be competing for a test spot.

He was on his way anyway so the lions get him quickly and (presumably) cheaply.

He won't let anybody down (unless his fitness has drasticaly fallen as he was at the top of his game when he went to japan- I like to think that the coaching team would be aware of his fitness before risking a move like this).

Having said this I would have gone for Hook or a likewise versatile player if the only requirement is providing cover.

irfon17

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 16 Jun 2013, 8:32 am

IanBru wrote:Jesus, this crystal meth is strong tonight.

That made me laugh, Laugh
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 16 Jun 2013, 8:49 am

Calling Shane Williams for 3 days is unorthodox, but with the injury issues surrounding the 3/4s something had to be done. The few remaining fit 3/4s need to be rested to ensure we are not being forced to have a late replacement in the test side next week. By calling up someone who was close, on their way anyway and can then be disposed of once used - as he is retired he will not be offended etc. 

I still believe that having only two 10s in the squad was a mistake. I admit that Gatland could not have foreseen all the injuries he would have in the 3/4s, but surely he could have foreseen the need to protect, rest the two he had selected to ensure he had them fit for the weekend matches.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Sun 16 Jun 2013, 9:06 am

Well yall havent even start playing the first proper test that 20% of the original squad is gone? Who the hell is in charge of conditionning? Arent they suppose to take care of the players who are not 100% fit? Or is just bad luck and very tough training sessions.

Anyway am really surprised they havent called ROG yet but the man has probably enough dignity to stay out of this lions & friends circus.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 16 Jun 2013, 9:09 am

whocares wrote:Well yall havent even start playing the first proper test that 20% of the original squad is gone? Who the hell is in charge of conditionning? Arent they suppose to take care of the players who are not 100% fit? Or is just bad luck and very tough training sessions.

Anyway am really surprised they havent called ROG yet but the man has probably enough dignity to stay out of this lions & friends circus.

Dr James Robson, on his 6th tour as team doc, was interviewed in The Times yesterday. He talked about how he refuses to ever be bowed by coaches who want to play someone who is not ready, perhaps there are players who would play for their clubs that he will not give certificates to play?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by doddieman Sun 16 Jun 2013, 9:09 am

He simply didn't take enough players or organise them early enough to have a test side and midweek team. This back line is a bit of a joke, more like british and irish barbarians, but then australia have treated these warm up games as a joke too have they not? Gatland may be just responding to what he feels they have offered.
Just a shame this not quite lions team is coming out aga
inst one of the best aussie teams on offer.

doddieman

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Sun 16 Jun 2013, 9:12 am

fa0019 wrote:He has a mixed lions pedigree but if its for one game it's understandable. He's close*, he's fit and you know what you'll get from him... He's an old pro, he won't be fazed by it all. Hs also known to then lions staff.... A bit like tim Payne in the last tour.

Just the odd 5000 miles. A stone's throw.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Sun 16 Jun 2013, 9:13 am

I actually thought this was a joke. Twitter confirmed it though. I could think of a dozen guys more deserving than Williams.

Gatland has has his fair share of clangers this tour but this one takes the candy. Its like SCW all over again, jobs for the boyos... Retired ones at that.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Sun 16 Jun 2013, 9:13 am

Words fail......I'm going back to bed.  When I get up a normal Sunday will start...
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sun 16 Jun 2013, 9:28 am

There goes what little credibility gatland had left. 

Picking Williams is a slap in the face to every current international winger playing. It's a slap in the face to the brumbies. It's a slap in the face to the lions concept. 

Just another reason why the lions coach needs to be someone not affiliated with one of the four nations.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 16 Jun 2013, 9:34 am

Guys, the bbc report:

"But such is the extent of the injuries among the backline and the need to rest other players that he will join the squad for 48 hours - arriving on Monday, playing on Tuesday and leaving on Wednesday."

Are there any other players who could have done this in time for Tuesday, bearing in mind jet lag, etc? Any other wingers of B&I origin in that part of the world? I personally would have made do with what's in the squad already but if you had to go for a winger with a 2 day turnaround then someone local-ish like Williams makes some sense. If he'd called up a Scotsman from SA, who'd played yesterday, then they probably would not be ready to go on Tues.

Back to top Go down

Post by jammoboss Sun 16 Jun 2013, 9:38 am

Maybe its a publicity stunt. Everyone knows shane. Might bring in a bigger audience. I cant wait to see how he plays :-D

jammoboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next