The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shane Williams gets Lions call up (this is not a joke)

+68
Breadvan
Higher_Ground
Scarpia
Taffineastbourne
509boy
patersonismyhero
glamorganalun
The Bachelor
robbo277
The Saint
hugehandoff
irnbrew
kingjohn7
broadlandboy
tigerleghorn
Tattie Scones RRN
nathan
Cyril
wales606
dragonbreath
Coleman
The Great Aukster
sirBiggles
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
bedfordwelsh
Dontheman
Allty
stevetynant
sad_gimp
RDW
nobbled
jammoboss
tigertattie
offload
RuggerRadge2611
Portnoy's Complaint
doddieman
whocares
LondonTiger
Shifty
irfon17
George Carlin
fa0019
majesticimperialman
Alex_Germany
Rugby Fan
t1000advancedprototype
flyhalffactory
logie28
Knowsit17
Cryptoyourisan
gavstar
JmD
Hookisms and Hyperbole
LeinsterFan4life
Looseheaded
Goosestepper
jeffwinger
IanBru
westisbest
Barney McGrew did it
Rory_Gallagher
valtrepkos
jelly
Ozzy3213
SecretFly
Metal Tiger
GLove39
72 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Shane Williams gets Lions call up (this is not a joke) - Page 4 Empty Shane Williams gets Lions call up (this is not a joke)

Post by GLove39 Sun 16 Jun 2013, 12:04 am

First topic message reminder :

Named in team for Brumbies!!!!!

How many extra backs have they called up now??? 
Will Williams be fit given he's retired and gone onto commentary?

Last edited by GLove39 on Sun 16 Jun 2013, 12:12 am; edited 1 time in total

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Shane Williams gets Lions call up (this is not a joke) - Page 4 Empty Re: Shane Williams gets Lions call up (this is not a joke)

Post by dragonbreath Mon 17 Jun 2013, 9:18 am

The Saint wrote:A retired Shane is still better than Chris Ashton, this proves it Laugh.

A retired Shane is still better than any of them

dragonbreath

Back to top Go down

Shane Williams gets Lions call up (this is not a joke) - Page 4 Empty Re: Shane Williams gets Lions call up (this is not a joke)

Post by Breadvan Mon 17 Jun 2013, 9:36 am

It sort of makes sense. SW is aleady out there, fit and still playing rugby.He'll do a job. Suprised if he remians with the squad for the remainder but you never know....

I wonder if there's a rugby forum version of godwins law? Any subject online will eventually turn into a tirade against chris Ashton...chin
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by scoi Mon 17 Jun 2013, 9:37 am

With only a day and a half's notice you can get someone who can complete a couple of training sessions or fly someone straight to the ground and hope they fit in. It happened in 2001 for a test match.

It's unfortunate the number of injuries to the backs but a number sound like they are only a few days off being fit (north, tuilagi, view). Why fly someone in when they won't arrive for the brumbies, won't be part of the test team and probably won't be needed for the last midweek game.

Garland et al, are protecting the few players they have fit and in a bind they have asked a semi pro to have a run out in a backline of call ups against a weakened team.

They may lose with such a short amount of time together. I'd prefer they lose tomorrow than on Saturday though.

Devaluing the Lions? Look back 8 years, and then look at the flight timetables.

scoi

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 17 Jun 2013, 9:38 am

Breadvan wrote:It sort of makes sense. SW is aleady out there, fit and still playing rugby.He'll do a job. Suprised if he remians with the squad for the remainder but you never know....

I wonder if there's a rugby forum version of godwins law? Any subject online will eventually turn into a tirade against chris Ashton...chin

Make it a "tirade against Chris Ashton/Gavin Henson/Wayne Barnes" and you're probably right Wink

Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Mon 17 Jun 2013, 9:40 am

I guess this will help sell more Lions shirts in Wales
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 17 Jun 2013, 10:08 am

The thing is Gatland shouldn't be doing this to a national treasure. Williams is a Legend of Welsh rugby and one of the best players I have ever had the honour of watching.

It's not inconceivable for him to go out and embarrass himself here.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Mon 17 Jun 2013, 11:21 am

There's some hysteria on here - it's just a desparate stop-gap solution to avoid injuring someone they may need in the test team.  I doubt there was any other practical option.  He may even do okay, but that's barely the point anyway.  If they need to call up a winger for the rest of the tour, it wouldn't be him, unless he has a surprisingly good game tomorrow.

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 17 Jun 2013, 11:28 am

Pete C (Kiwireddevil) wrote:
Breadvan wrote:It sort of makes sense. SW is aleady out there, fit and still playing rugby.He'll do a job. Suprised if he remians with the squad for the remainder but you never know....

Make it a "tirade against Chris Ashton/Owen Farrell/Sean Maitland/Sam Warbuton's knee/Gavin Henson/Wayne Barnes" and you're probably right Wink

Amended. OK
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Scarpia Mon 17 Jun 2013, 12:01 pm

The Great Aukster wrote:
Scarpia wrote:
The Great Aukster wrote:
This opportunity should have been used to give a potential future tourist valuable experience that would have stood them in good stead for the future rather than the aggrandisement of a retired has-been.

And exactly how much valuable experience would a player get by jetting in Monday, playing Tuesday and jetting off again on Wednesday?

Some would consider being kitted out in a Lions shirt as an honour and valuable experience - however brief.

It would be An experience. Rather than experience

Scarpia

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 17 Jun 2013, 12:08 pm

Has William actually been forewarned/armed well in advance of this 'surprise' call up, I wonder?

Has he been already doing the purification cryo stuff to get up to speed on his big cameo?

Over to you Gats - just when was the first time you ever had a phone call with William about the Lions?? Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Mon 17 Jun 2013, 12:14 pm

According to his BBC interview, the first he heard was 1.30 on Saturday.

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Mon 17 Jun 2013, 12:44 pm

SecretFly wrote:If players need resting before tests (and I'm not saying they don't) - but if they do, why have the extra games at all and just have a three test tour against a bunch of players who are also only going to have three tests.

If players can come in a week before the first test, play a game and then perhaps be seen to have done more than enough to actually stick around for one of the later tests (and Williams very well could!), then I don't really see the point in all this publicity about needing all the little games to work on combinations and separate the men from the boys.

None of these Lions boys are boys, they don't need the extra games in the first place, they don't need the extra risks of getting injured or exhausted before the true games of meaning actually happen.

I know it's tradition but increasingly in this professional world - when the back-ups can fly in at a moment's notice - the long tour idea is becoming less valid.

Agreed totally with the last bit. Personally all these call ups has taken away the excitement of listening to the initial squad being announced. My earliest memory of a lions tour was Australia 1989.....prior to that I can't comment how many replacements had been called up on a lions tour. But this tour stands out as replacements are being called up to allow other tourist rest periods rather than covering injuries. to me that's not in keeping with the lions tradition. I personally think (i'll put my tin helmet on how) there should be a limit on the number of replacements you can call up on a lions tour.....possibly only 2-3 players. would mean WG would have to think carefully before calling anyone up.
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Mon 17 Jun 2013, 1:32 pm

Scarpia wrote:
The Great Aukster wrote:
Scarpia wrote:
The Great Aukster wrote:
This opportunity should have been used to give a potential future tourist valuable experience that would have stood them in good stead for the future rather than the aggrandisement of a retired has-been.

And exactly how much valuable experience would a player get by jetting in Monday, playing Tuesday and jetting off again on Wednesday?

Some would consider being kitted out in a Lions shirt as an honour and valuable experience - however brief.

It would be An experience.  Rather than experience

There's a difference? Shocked

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Scarpia Mon 17 Jun 2013, 5:56 pm

The Great Aukster wrote:
Scarpia wrote:
The Great Aukster wrote:
Scarpia wrote:
The Great Aukster wrote:

It would be An experience.  Rather than experience

There's a difference?  Shocked

You don't see it? OK, I'll explain. If you do something once, or for the first time ever, then it is an experience. If you do something regularly over a period of time you gain experience and become experienced.

Scarpia

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Mon 17 Jun 2013, 8:03 pm

pioden gorllewin wrote:
SecretFly wrote:If players need resting before tests (and I'm not saying they don't) - but if they do, why have the extra games at all and just have a three test tour against a bunch of players who are also only going to have three tests.

If players can come in a week before the first test, play a game and then perhaps be seen to have done more than enough to actually stick around for one of the later tests (and Williams very well could!), then I don't really see the point in all this publicity about needing all the little games to work on combinations and separate the men from the boys.

None of these Lions boys are boys, they don't need the extra games in the first place, they don't need the extra risks of getting injured or exhausted before the true games of meaning actually happen.

I know it's tradition but increasingly in this professional world - when the back-ups can fly in at a moment's notice - the long tour idea is becoming less valid.

Agreed totally with the last bit. Personally all these call ups has taken away the excitement of listening to the initial squad being announced. My earliest memory of a lions tour was Australia 1989.....prior to that I can't comment how many replacements had been called up on a lions tour. But this tour stands out as replacements are being called up to allow other tourist rest periods rather than covering injuries. to me that's not in keeping with the lions tradition. I personally think (i'll put my tin helmet on how) there should be a limit on the number of replacements you can call up on a lions tour.....possibly only 2-3 players. would mean WG would have to think carefully before calling anyone up.

You have a very valid point if the the Australians were playing ball and fielding their strongest teams as they did in the past. Why risk your top players if the Aus are not in their state teams, Gatland is fielding a team that is good enough to win on Tuesday without risking further injuries to the test team. The Lions starting team on Tuesday have no chance of playing in the test, the subs will be subs for the test.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4