The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rabbo Direct Newbies to watch 2013/14

+21
LeinsterFan4life
munkian
21st Century Schizoid Man
rodders
RuggerRadge2611
Impossible Standards
RDW
George Carlin
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
IanBru
profitius
InjuredYetAgain
The Great Aukster
Standulstermen
Bathite
bsando
neilthom7
Seagultaf
wales606
Notch
GavinDragon
25 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Rabbo Direct Newbies to watch 2013/14 Empty Rabbo Direct Newbies to watch 2013/14

Post by GavinDragon Sat 06 Jul 2013, 7:48 pm

I know there has been a thread set up by Geordie Falcon, this is to hone in on the Rabbo for the coming season, who should we be looking out for at your province/region/club?

For the Dragons I would say

Hallam Amos - made his debut at 17 and I think will feature a fair bit this season following on from a good JWC this summer, cuts very good angles

Ieuan Jones - Big ball carrying number 8 who burst on to the scene last year, fully hope he steps up and puts some pressure on one Faletau in the coming season.

Jack Dixon - Another who debuted at a young age, a big lad for his age but will be interesting to see if he has the skill set to go along with his physicality.

Elliot Dee - another Welsh u20 who showed up well last season and had a good season with Bedwas, probably 4th choice hooker at present behing Rhys Thomas Sam Parrry and Gustafason s may be limited to LV games

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Rabbo Direct Newbies to watch 2013/14 Empty Re: Rabbo Direct Newbies to watch 2013/14

Post by Notch Sat 06 Jul 2013, 7:53 pm

James McKinney coming back to Ulster- not sure how much gametime he'll get with the Ginger Prince Paddy Jackson competing with him but he's another good homegrown outhalf, and where he has the edge over Jackson is his consistent goalkicking.

But the big talent I'm really hoping to see kick on is Stuart Olding. Went from AIL rugby to playing for Ireland in six months.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Rabbo Direct Newbies to watch 2013/14 Empty Re: Rabbo Direct Newbies to watch 2013/14

Post by GavinDragon Sat 06 Jul 2013, 7:59 pm

what position notch?

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 06 Jul 2013, 8:12 pm

Olding primarily played 12 last year. 10, 12 and 15 under age. 4 tries in just 10 starts last year.

It's exciting at 10 and 12. There's Paddy Jackson (21) and Luke Marshall (22), then you have James McKinney (22) and Stuart Olding (20). And of course the, er, evergreen Paddy Wallace (34 in August). But that okay, he's like these guys Obi-Wan Kenobi figure. If only we had the same options coming through at lock and backrow!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 06 Jul 2013, 9:43 pm

Cardiff Blues

Cory Allen - centre - Defensive rock, the most exciting centre at U20 that I have seen for a long time and already a 7s cap.

Ellis Jenkins - flanker - might be a season early, but he is the Wales U20 captain and could well get a chance to shine this season.

Owen Williams - centre - saw him a bit on the wing this year, but hopefully we will see him at 13 more - nippy centre in the Shanklin role. Can't wait to see if Allen and Williams can grow a partnership.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sat 06 Jul 2013, 9:57 pm

Scarlets:

Jordan Williams: Fantastic World cup, will get plenty of chances, probably play on the wing as the Scarlets have lost Stoddard, North & Fenby.

Dan Thomas: He will step up to the next level with Barkley as his mentor, and start fighting for a match day squad place.

Samson Lee: After an amazing first season, hopefully he will get bigger, stronger and develop better technique.

Rhodri Williams: Another player to have a great World Cup, he will join a 3 way scrap for the Scarlets no9 jersey.

Ospreys:

Stronger squad than the Scarlets, so not as many opportunities but:

Sam Davies: Great season for Nige junior, could he put Biggar under pressure for his jersey?

Nicky Thomas: The next star from the great Ospreys front 5 production line. I expect him to play most of his rugby for Swansea as he learns his trade.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Sat 06 Jul 2013, 10:55 pm

I think i'm looking forward to farrell getting a full season for Ulster after injuries last year, joyce also looks a player to watch

neilthom7

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sun 07 Jul 2013, 8:48 am

Tyrone Holmes for Glasgow, backrow, has a nice highlights reel on YouTube.
Also they've signed yanuyanutawa, prop, from London Irish, so his first outing in the rabbo.

Edinburgh have signed Jack Cuthbert from bath. Many Scottish fans don't rate him, but I look forward to seeing how he gets on.

I'd also keep an eye on the angel aka mark Bennett.

As well as Johnny Gray, richie Gray's little bro.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Sun 07 Jul 2013, 12:25 pm

Cuthbert is very average. Nothing to keep an eye out for there

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Sun 07 Jul 2013, 1:10 pm

bsando wrote:Tyrone Holmes for Glasgow, backrow, has a nice highlights reel on YouTube.
Also they've signed yanuyanutawa, prop, from London Irish, so his first outing in the rabbo.

Edinburgh have signed Jack Cuthbert from bath. Many Scottish fans don't rate him, but I look forward to seeing how he gets on.

Surely all Richie Gray's brothers are little compared to him can't be any bigger Shocked 

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Sun 07 Jul 2013, 1:28 pm

Chris Farrell

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Mon 08 Jul 2013, 9:43 am

Unless there are a lot of injuries, I don't expect to see much of Farrell. Looking forward to seeing more of Peter Nelson though.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Mon 08 Jul 2013, 9:02 pm

neilthom7 wrote:
bsando wrote:Tyrone Holmes for Glasgow, backrow, has a nice highlights reel on YouTube.

Surely all Richie Gray's brothers are little compared to him can't be any bigger Shocked 

Yes he's positively tiny. Only 6'6 and 119kg. Yo wouldn't want to get to the buffet after those two fat gits

Edinburgh's signings are mince so move along - there is nothing/no-one to see here. That siad, if Jamie Farndale is fit, he could make a good impression (he was top try scorer in last year's JWC but bust his leg early last season)

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Mon 08 Jul 2013, 9:32 pm

InjuredYetAgain wrote:
neilthom7 wrote:

Yes he's positively tiny. Only 6'6 and 119kg. Yo wouldn't want to get to the buffet after those two fat gits

Edinburgh's signings are mince so move along - there is nothing/no-one to see here. That siad, if Jamie Farndale is fit, he could make a good impression (he was top try scorer in last year's JWC but bust his leg early last season)

Jaysus Shocked that must have bankrupted their parent when they were younger. I also know why Sonny Bill Williams always goes for the big money move its so he can afford to feed his relative Nick Williams when he comes round for dinner

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Mon 08 Jul 2013, 9:39 pm

Neil - I am not sure but there may even be a third one. After dropping three large kids, I'll bet there was a strange whistling noise when Mrs Gray walked down the street.

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Mon 08 Jul 2013, 10:20 pm

The Great Aukster wrote:Unless there are a lot of injuries, I don't expect to see much of Farrell. Looking forward to seeing more of Peter Nelson though.

Why not? He can play a bit and stands out size wise. What is he 6'5" ??
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Tue 09 Jul 2013, 10:18 am

He's also 20 with no experience. He won't play ahead of Cave, Marshall, Wallace, Olding, and maybe Michael Allen. For big games if there's a centre crisis, Payne or Trimble could be lined out there. Last year Ulster had exceptional midfield problems and managed without him, so I'd expect Farrell's appearances to be limited.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Tue 09 Jul 2013, 5:56 pm

To be fair Aukster, he played efor ehe got injured and hes more of an outside centre than olding, wallace and marshall. He has got good talent and i s abig lad so i can certainly see him being there. Also the experiance aint an issue Olding had no experiance, the only way to get experiance is to play.

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 09 Jul 2013, 10:40 pm

I would see our pecking order as

Marshall, Olding, Wallace
Cave, (Allen), Farrell

Yes Allen can play 13 would be ahead of him. BUT when you consider we are possibly going to be missing Bowe, Trimble and Gilroy to internationals and at least two of those three are likely to get plenty of gametime in tests I wouldn't be surprised if Allen plays on the wing almost exclusively. Which would put Farrell one call-up/injury away from the 13 jersey.

Ulster definitely have strength in depth at 12, and an established way of playing a footballing centre there. As much as Farrell can play a bit himself, I think he'll be used at 13 as a strike runner. And as Aukster pointed out, he's got more going for him than Olding did last year- he was 19 with no experience Wink 
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Tue 09 Jul 2013, 11:29 pm

InjuredYetAgain wrote:Neil - I am not sure but there may even be a third one. After dropping three large kids, I'll bet there was a strange whistling noise when Mrs Gray walked down the street.
clap clap Amazing.

Yeah, Big Jonny (I'm searching, desperately, for something else to call him) has a lot of potential and has been playing for Scotland U20s from age 17 before captaining the team this year. It's often said that at school level Jonny was considered the more talented brother, though I've yet to find an actual source for this.

A couple others:
Mark Bennett - the darling of half the Scottish posters (the other half are simply running low on meds), Bennett showed enough potential to sign for Clermont Auvergne at age 18 before suffering a serious injury. Since returning to Glasgow in March, he has scored three tries in five appearances, all of them using a combination of power and agility to punch through from close range. For Scotland U20s, he seems to play 10/12, but has only appeared as a 13 so far for Glasgow.

Finn Russell - only one appearance for Glasgow last season, Russell has been playing in New Zealand for the last few months and, reportedly, has been turning in some excellent performances. With the bad injuries to both Jackson and Weir, and with Scott Wight not exactly flavour of the month (he was apparently only retained for this season after the injuries to the aforementioned pair), Russell may get some game time early in the season, and after that who knows?

Someone else can do the Glasgow forwards - I have an aversion to any mud that isn't combined with cucumber slices and pan-pipe music.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 10 Jul 2013, 10:29 am

IanBru wrote:
InjuredYetAgain wrote:Neil - I am not sure but there may even be a third one. After dropping three large kids, I'll bet there was a strange whistling noise when Mrs Gray walked down the street.
clap clap Amazing.

Yeah, Big Jonny (I'm searching, desperately, for something else to call him) has a lot of potential and has been playing for Scotland U20s from age 17 before captaining the team this year. It's often said that at school level Jonny was considered the more talented brother, though I've yet to find an actual source for this.

A couple others:
Mark Bennett - the darling of half the Scottish posters (the other half are simply running low on meds), Bennett showed enough potential to sign for Clermont Auvergne at age 18 before suffering a serious injury. Since returning to Glasgow in March, he has scored three tries in five appearances, all of them using a combination of power and agility to punch through from close range. For Scotland U20s, he seems to play 10/12, but has only appeared as a 13 so far for Glasgow.

Finn Russell - only one appearance for Glasgow last season, Russell has been playing in New Zealand for the last few months and, reportedly, has been turning in some excellent performances. With the bad injuries to both Jackson and Weir, and with Scott Wight not exactly flavour of the month (he was apparently only retained for this season after the injuries to the aforementioned pair), Russell may get some game time early in the season, and after that who knows?

Someone else can do the Glasgow forwards - I have an aversion to any mud that isn't combined with cucumber slices and pan-pipe music

OK

angel

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 10 Jul 2013, 11:05 am

IanBru wrote:
clap clap Amazing.

A couple others:

Someone else can do the Glasgow forwards - I have an aversion to any mud that isn't combined with cucumber slices and pan-pipe music.
Have a nice lie down Ian. Not much to report in the forwards in terms of newbies - all of our excellent players are experienced types.

A couple I'll mention:

1. Ickle Jonny Gray - enough said - Scotland's U20 captain. Still plenty of growing time left. Shocked 

2. Adam Ashe - has flown under the radar a lot but this boy has real footballing ability. Not many number 8s who have also got full international 7s circuit caps - won MoM in Scotland U20s victory over Ireland in the last Baby 6 Nations and was a JWC star for us. Needs to bulk up, but hopefully won't 'do a Simon Taylor' and let all natural ball playing skills ooze out between his toes at the same time.

3. Gordon Reid - I still count Shrek as a newbie but his first season and a half was extremely good and his call up to the Quadrangular squad will have done him the power of good. Needs to build throughout his 20s and learn as much as he can from Grant as his scrummaging is still underpowered for a lump his size.

I have not included the gangling speedster Richie 'two slates buttered' Vernon or Tyrone 'Sherlock' Holmes because I know that one of them isn't particuarly great and I strongly suspect that the other isn't particuarly great either.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 10 Jul 2013, 11:26 am

I think the only newbie I'm overly excited about from Edinburgh is young Jamie Farndale, as has been mentioned.  He's a big strong runner and knows his way to the try line.

However my heart sinks at the thought of Lee Jones, Nikki walker and the 'winger' Jack- oil tanker - Cuthbert playing ahead of him.picard 

Edinburgh have a few young forwards such as Robin Hislop (LH) and Alun Walker (hooker) who have never really had much of a chance, plus they are pretty small.  Hislop has stood up well when he was played last season but he really needs to put some bulk on.

Will be interesting to see if they can break through this season - can see them being resigned to the scrap heap soon if they don't show that they can cut it.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 10 Jul 2013, 11:34 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:I think the only newbie I'm overly excited about from Edinburgh is young Jamie Farndale, as has been mentioned.  He's a big strong runner and knows his way to the try line.

However my heart sinks at the thought of Lee Jones, Nikki walker and the 'winger' Jack- oil tanker - Cuthbert playing ahead of him.picard 

Edinburgh have a few young forwards such as Robin Hislop (LH) and Alun Walker (hooker) who have never really had much of a chance, plus they are pretty small.  Hislop has stood up well when he was played last season but he really needs to put some bulk on.

Will be interesting to see if they can break through this season - can see them being resigned to the scrap heap soon if they don't show that they can cut it.

Surely Ben Atiga will come good, RDW? He can't be as hapless as he was last season, and he must be due for a 3-year contract extension?! Wink

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 10 Jul 2013, 11:35 am

Oh the other player I have high hopes for at Edinburgh is 2nd row saak Van der Vesthauzen (sp). He’s not technically a new player as he arrived in November having played a full season in SA, but has struggled for game time due to injuries, which is not surprising having already played a full season. He looks a big, strong, and most importantly for Edinburgh – tough- 2nd row, which we are really lacking. Hopefully a rest and full pre-season will have him in optimal shape and ready to add a hard edge to the Edinburgh pack.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 10 Jul 2013, 11:36 am

George Carlin wrote:
IanBru wrote:
clap clap Amazing.

A couple others:

Have a nice lie down Ian. Not much to report in the forwards in terms of newbies - all of our excellent players are experienced types.

A couple I'll mention:

1. Ickle Jonny Gray - enough said - Scotland's U20 captain. Still plenty of growing time left. Shocked 

2. Adam Ashe - has flown under the radar a lot but this boy has real footballing ability. Not many number 8s who have also got full international 7s circuit caps - won MoM in Scotland U20s victory over Ireland in the last Baby 6 Nations and was a JWC star for us. Needs to bulk up, but hopefully won't 'do a Simon Taylor' and let all natural ball playing skills ooze out between his toes at the same time.

3. Gordon Reid - I still count Shrek as a newbie but his first season and a half was extremely good and his call up to the Quadrangular squad will have done him the power of good. Needs to build throughout his 20s and learn as much as he can from Grant as his scrummaging is still underpowered for a lump his size.

I have not included the gangling speedster Richie 'two slates buttered' Vernon or Tyrone 'Sherlock' Holmes because I know that one of them isn't particularly great and I strongly suspect that the other isn't particularly great either.

Spot on, GC, and an honourable mention with moderately low hyping for Fraser Brown - watch this space

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 10 Jul 2013, 11:36 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Oh the other player I have high hopes for at Edinburgh is 2nd row saak Van der Vesthauzen (sp).  He’s not technically a new player as he arrived in November having played a full season in SA, but has struggled for game time due to injuries, which is not surprising having already played a full season.  He looks a big, strong, and most importantly for Edinburgh – tough- 2nd row, which we are really lacking.  Hopefully a rest and full pre-season will have him in optimal shape and ready to add a hard edge to the Edinburgh pack.

How do you add a "hard edge" to a chocolate eclair?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 10 Jul 2013, 11:38 am

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:

Surely Ben Atiga will come good, RDW?  He can't be as hapless as he was last season, and he must be due for a 3-year contract extension?! Wink

To be fair to him, he did look significantly better after New Year, particularly the run in to the end of the season. He clearly was no-where near fit enough earlier on in the season, so let’s see what he’s like now that he’s got a whole season and a proper pre-season under his belt.

He still looks a limited player, but I think a lot of his problems have been the fact that he’s been blowing out his erse most of the time – hopefully that will not be an issue now.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 10 Jul 2013, 11:52 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:

Surely Ben Atiga will come good, RDW?  He can't be as hapless as he was last season, and he must be due for a 3-year contract extension?! Wink

To be fair to him, he did look significantly better after New Year, particularly the run in to the end of the season.  He clearly was no-where near fit enough earlier on in the season, so let’s see what he’s like now that he’s got a whole season and a proper pre-seasonpie-eating summer under his belt.

He still looks a limited player, but I think a lot of his problems have been the fact that he’s been blowing out his erse most of the time – hopefully that will not be an issue now.

Fixed that for you, no charge Wink

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Impossible Standards Wed 10 Jul 2013, 11:56 am

Jordan Williams & Rhodri Williams: 2 of the best backs in the U20's squad. Dragons will have a few good ones this year with Amos, I Jones and dixon all with a season of rabo experience already. Dixon has been touted as the next jamie roberts by some...(not me Wink )
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 10 Jul 2013, 12:12 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:

To be fair to him, he did look significantly better after New Year, particularly the run in to the end of the season.  He clearly was no-where near fit enough earlier on in the season, so let’s see what he’s like now that he’s got a whole season and a proper pre-seasonpie-eating summer under his belt.

Jeez, the great unwashed are on a mission today! To be fair, even the most one eyed Weedge should acknowledge that the Edinburgh pack isn’t actually that bad, and that the main problem last season was coaching, player attitude and all of the behind the scenes issues that were going on at the club. Players like Yapp, Dickinson, Ford, Nel, Cross, VDV, Gilchrist, Cox, Basalaia, McInally, Rennie, Grant, Denton etc are good Rabbo standard at least, and there’s no reason why we can’t aim for mid-table mediocrity!

Oh that’s another player I’m looking forward to seeing have a good pre-season – WP Nel definitely came out last season with pass marks at least, and was another player that took a while to get up to speed with the required fitness.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 10 Jul 2013, 12:59 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:

Jeez, the great unwashed are on a mission today! To be fair, even the most one eyed Weedge should acknowledge that the Edinburgh pack isn’t actually that bad, and that the main problem last season was coaching, player attitude and all of the behind the scenes issues that were going on at the club. Players like Yapp, Dickinson, Ford, Nel, Cross, VDV, Gilchrist, Cox, Basalaia, McInally, Rennie, Grant, Denton etc are good Rabbo standard at least, and there’s no reason why we can’t aim for mid-table mediocrity!
...unless Edinburgh still can't find a heach coach in the next 8 weeks. picard
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 10 Jul 2013, 1:04 pm

That is depressingly true GC. Might need to get another Twitter campaign on the go - where's radge when you need him!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 10 Jul 2013, 1:23 pm

What would be a good season for Edinburgh in your view RDW? Top 6?
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 10 Jul 2013, 1:44 pm

It's a real tough question Notch, becuase I just don't know with that team anymore. I genuinely believe Edinburgh have good players that should not be propping up the bottom of the table, but there was something seriously wrong last season. A lot of it was the coaching, but as I said previously player attitudes and the behind the scenes issues didn't help either.

The constant losing last season wasn't so much the problem, it was the fact that we looked completely hopeless in a lot of games, and quite often the players didn't even look like they were interested (again I think down to attitude the fall out with the coaches).

The squad is still quite young however so I would settle for respectability and something to build on for next year. For me respectability means no lower than 8th in the Rabbo and winning 2 home games in the HK, competing well in the other games.

That sounds like fairly low expectations but you really just don't know what is going to happen with this team.

First though we need a feckin coach!!!!!!!!!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 10 Jul 2013, 1:44 pm

Notch wrote:What would be a good season for Edinburgh in your view RDW? Top 6?

Within 40 points for the 1872 Cup

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 10 Jul 2013, 1:48 pm

Notch wrote:What would be a good season for Edinburgh in your view RDW? Top 6?

Within 40 points for the 1872 Cup

Asbo, you know fine well your failure to get a winning BP over both legs (despite having complete and utter dominance) cost you a home Semi final, as I've teased you about before!laughing 

In all seriously though it's about time the 1872 cup came through East - I can't stand another round of gloating weegies on here!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 10 Jul 2013, 1:52 pm

8th sounds about right to me. I see a bit of a topsy-turvy season for Edinburgh ahead- some better performances, some poor performances. Two steps forward and one back. In terms of raw potential you should nowhere near as bad as you've been playing for the last few years but there's no real joined-up vision behind the composition of the squad.

It'll take a few years to get some consistency and self-belief. I can see a few big scalps for Embra. But not every week. I see you fulfilling your potential in fits and starts and inconsistency being the bane of your season. I wouldn't be at all surprised if you beat us or Glasgow or Leinster and lose to Zebre the next week or something

Last edited by Notch on Wed 10 Jul 2013, 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 10 Jul 2013, 1:52 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:That is depressingly true GC.  Might need to get another Twitter campaign on the go - where's radge when you need him!

I'm here. I have been with the great unwashed for the last couple of days.

Edinburgh do need a coach. I don't have a great deal to add on who to watch this year beyond what others have said. Cuthbert is a guy who I remain to be convinced by. I have seen him charging around the pitch and kicking the leather off the ball, beyond that I don't know much about him.

Hislop could be a real good player, Although not a newbie Denton looked dangerous against Italy. Would really like to see Nel, Cox and Denton hit the ground running this year and form the spine of our pack. With the right direction we could be a handful for teams this season.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 10 Jul 2013, 1:54 pm

What about Ulster Notch? They never had a better season to win the league than last year, will they be able to make it one step further this year?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 10 Jul 2013, 1:54 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:

I'm here. I have been with the great unwashed for the last couple of days.

My sympathies - I spend 5 days a week there.vomit

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 10 Jul 2013, 1:57 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:What about Ulster Notch? They never had a better season to win the league than last year, will they be able to make it one step further this year?

I think we will finish Top 3- the playoffs are just too hard to call. If we finish first I think we will win the league with REAL home advantage. Call me biased but I honestly think if we had played that Final at Ravenhill... eish.

Glasgow and Ulster have the same squads and management teams as last year whereas Leinster are losing some players and a coach- Munster and Ospreys will be stronger so anyone who says they are definitely going to win this tournament this year is just arrogant. I think there are five teams who can realistically be champions and at least one won't make it to the playoffs.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 10 Jul 2013, 2:00 pm

Yeah I think Leinster might struggle this year, but we’ll see. Have Ulster made many notable signings? Am I right in thinking you’ve lost Afoa? That’ll be a huge loss.

I love the Rabbo – turning into a really entertaining league! Last season was great.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 10 Jul 2013, 2:02 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Yeah I think Leinster might struggle this year, but we’ll see.  Have Ulster made many notable signings? Am I right in thinking you’ve lost Afoa? That’ll be a huge loss.

No. I've seen this stated before- untrue. As Darren Cave pointed out after the Final last year, no-one in the matchday squad is leaving Ulster. Big things expected as the only players to leave are squad players/back-ups.

Afoa will be available but I also expect us to spend more time auditioning long-term tighthead replacements in the league.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 10 Jul 2013, 2:06 pm

I stand corrected -not sure where that came about.

Well I expect big things from Ulster then! What they did show last season is that they can consistently win. What they didn't show is the ability to win one off big games. There's no point coming top of the league if you can't win the final!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Wed 10 Jul 2013, 2:23 pm

I'd expect Ulster to have real competition in the backs this year with McKinney back pushing jackson our centre situation is going to be interestign someone will have to lose out and if the IRFU get involved we could end up moving marshall or olding to 13. WIngs wise we have 3 excellant chocies and a couple of good back ups and we ave the payne at fullback with Nelson and McIlwaine to cover so sould be interesting. We would be looking light in back row although i'd tip Joyce to make a big impact if given the chance.

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 10 Jul 2013, 2:25 pm

Notch wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Yeah I think Leinster might struggle this year, but we’ll see.  Have Ulster made many notable signings? Am I right in thinking you’ve lost Afoa? That’ll be a huge loss.

No. I've seen this stated before- untrue. As Darren Cave pointed out after the Final last year, no-one in the matchday squad is leaving Ulster. Big things expected as the only players to leave are squad players/back-ups.

Afoa will be available but I also expect us to spend more time auditioning long-term tighthead replacements in the league.
Notch - is Afoa going to be fit to start the season? I know he had surgery on a torn tendon in his arm in June back home.

Also, Stephen Ferris has signed a 6 month extension apparently? What kind of state is his health?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 10 Jul 2013, 2:30 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:I stand corrected -not sure where that came about.

Well I expect big things from Ulster then! What they did show last season is that they can consistently win.  What they didn't show is the ability to win one off big games.  There's no point coming top of the league if you can't win the final!

No there is substance behind it, Afoa's wife returned home and big John has been flying back and forth. Seems he wanted out of his contract a year early but was prepared to honour it if Ulster couldn't find a replacement ...he's stll here so....

I think we have a squad to be there or thereabouts in both competitions again but sure we'll see how she goes....  

Muller has aged a bit for me and we need Best on top form and a bit more luck with injury than last year. I think we may have more guys on Ireland duty this coming year too which will stretch our squad.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 10 Jul 2013, 2:46 pm

Question - will Zebre win a game this year?? Probably the first time in the history of professional rugby that a team has gone an entire season without winning a single game!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 10 Jul 2013, 2:50 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Question - will Zebre win a game this year?? Probably the first time in the history of professional rugby that a team has gone an entire season without winning a single game!
Probably. They do play Edinburgh twice, after all. Run 

Rumours that they have signed a maverick fly half with an Aussie twang and sideburns called Danielli Parkato remain to be confirmed.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next