The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Goodbye "Punter"

+3
guildfordbat
Corporalhumblebucket
hampo17
7 posters

Go down

Goodbye "Punter" Empty Goodbye "Punter"

Post by hampo17 Sat 13 Jul 2013, 4:41 pm

It's time to say goodbye to another legend of the game this week as Ricky Ponting hangs up the thigh pad and moves on to the next stage of his career. I've taken a brief look at his career, any feedback is always welcome.

http://spoutingaboutsports.wordpress.com/2013/07/12/goodbye-punter/

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Goodbye "Punter" Empty Re: Goodbye "Punter"

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 13 Jul 2013, 10:05 pm

41 test centuries underlines the quality of his record as a batsman.  He got an excellent send off after his last first class innings, an unbeaten match-saving century at the Oval earlier this week.  clap

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 16 Jul 2013, 7:53 am

I understand that Ricky Ponting will shortly be awarded his county cap by Surrey.

Whilst the significance of being capped varies across the domestic counties, it is regarded as a very considerable accolade at Surrey. For Ponting to be awarded his after such a short time with the Club is testament to the weight of runs he has made together with the positive impact upon team mates, coaching staff, management, members and supporters.

The ultimate professional. Illustrated well for me when I had the privilege of seeing him in his final first class innings last week. On his way to an unbeaten and match saving century (as flagged by the Corporal above), he was constantly playing practice shots at the non-striker's end. Right to the end, always wanting to improve.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 16 Jul 2013, 10:30 am

Farewell, Punter. Reports from his time at Surrey just serve to compound what I had expected - that Ricky Ponting was not only an exceptionally gifted batsmen - one of the big three of his era - but the ultimate team player and with an exemplary attitude toward improving yourself as a player. That note from Guildford about the practice shots is fantastic.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 20 Jul 2013, 9:55 am

Thanks, Fists.

Further to my earlier post above, I'm pleased to report that Ricky Ponting was last night awarded his county cap by Surrey.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 20 Jul 2013, 9:58 am

Did he retire from international cricket too soon? I ask as I am sure the current Australian batting line-up looks to be crying out for a man of Ricky Ponting's experience and stature.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 20 Jul 2013, 10:05 am

Caledonian - I think he probably did retire at the right time.  He had lost the consistency at highest level and was finding this increasingly frustrating.  In comparison, Tendulker's career went on a bit too long and rather fizzled out.

Can always make the case that he would probably have done better than most of the Aussies yesterday, but I think it's a fair enough decision for someone like Ponting to want to finish his career in good order.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 20 Jul 2013, 12:19 pm

Like the Corporal, I tend to feel that Ponting chose the right time to bow out of Test cricket although I also acknowledge that he would have done better than most of his countrymen yesterday.

Most professional sportsmen are only able to judge when they were first past their best once they are well past their best. Another example I suspect of fine timing from Ponting in that he didn't need to wait until then.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 21 Jul 2013, 8:12 am

He would have improved Australia's efforts, but would have been a shadow of his former self. I am glad I did not have to see him really struggle and raging against the fading of the light. It has been really sad for me to see Tendulkar look like a novice at times againmst england in the last two series.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by stevensy Mon 19 Aug 2013, 9:38 am

hampo171 wrote:It's time to say goodbye to another legend of the game this week as Ricky Ponting hangs up the thigh pad and moves on to the next stage of his career. I've taken a brief look at his career, any feedback is always welcome.

Well, he's been such a great legend in this industry and I know that he contributed a lot and he will always be the legend to us the fans.

stevensy

http://www.drivecricket.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down