The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Goodbye Oh minions

+19
sirfredperry
Jeremy_Kyle
reckoner
barrystar
Adam D
mangamuri
kemet
invisiblecoolers
Guest82
time please
lags72
carrieg4
Danny_1982
Josiah Maiestas
Rowley
hawkeye
lydian
JuliusHMarx
socal1976
23 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Goodbye Oh minions Empty Goodbye Oh minions

Post by Guest Mon 13 Aug 2012, 8:20 pm

Hello

Sad

It is a sad day but alas as it has been decreed so it must come to fruition.

I am leaving the board - this will be my final post.

I debated with myself long and hard as to whether or not I should make this post, whether there was any point in outlining my reasons for leaving. In the end I decided to do so. So here goes..

I was not a big fan of Tenez. His obssessive and repetitive posts I found extremely tedious. I could sympathise with Lydian on the many occasions when he remarked that Tenez was stifling the board and not allowing other members any breathing space. It seemed every post was hijacked by his agenda, and then that agenda was forcefully reiterated again and again ad nauseum. However, Tenez was at least willing to engage in debate. He would at the very least counter the points made by an antagonist and then answer them in his own fashion. He didn't wholesale ignore the other side of the arguement, instead he countered it with his own arguements. On the whole his arguements could be quite convincing (not always). Unfortunately, as already mentioned, he did have an overbearing tendency to insist that he was right and was never willing to compromise or even agree to disagree.

With this in mind, and given the recent history of the board, it saddens me greatly to see the same tactics employed by another poster. Constantly hijacking every thread with the same distorted viewpoint. All roads essentially leading to the same conclusion. Here is an example of the dross that we've been subjected to for months now:

"It will be close as I predict every possible flavor of cupcake draw will be fed to federer between now and the end of the season as his fans in the tournament organizing committees will do their best for team Nike and toss Roger gooey cupcake after gooey cupcake to give him the best possible chance of pulling off the first stolen #1 ranking in history as Djokovic gets the death semi in every tourney, coincidentally of course."

I'm sure everyone can recognise the author of that post. And that is just one out of dozens of posts repeating the same garbage, yet unlike Tenez, when challenged, this poster does not even attempt to refute the arguements (at least not in any coherent or honest manner); he simply repeats the same. To be honest I've had enough. What's even more disconcerting is the propensity of this poster to then misquote and even alter the statements of others to suit his own agenda. Instead of engaging in honest intellectual debate, this poster has managed to turn the board into a yet another battleground, after much progress had been made.

I do not write this post to stifle freedom of expression, rather to encourage it. The problem with such obssessive tunnel vision is that it does not allow room for true intellectual exchange. It forces everyone into camps and views become entrenched with no compromise or indeed desire to compromise. The board becomes a caricature of a discussion platform; a playground were people spit and bite. What is the point of starting a discussion or contributing to one when you have absolutely no desire to even consider the counter arguements or responses to your own - why not just talk to yourself? I accept that the poster in mind is not the only one to do this, but his posts are certainly the most ubiquitious, childish, and entrenched.

So there you go..

I've said my piece..

Now I must continue my search for BOO. The hour draws near..

ghost

emancipator - intergalatctic tennis historian and eternal foe of BOO.

Back to top Go down

Goodbye Oh minions Empty Re: Goodbye Oh minions

Post by socal1976 Mon 13 Aug 2012, 8:24 pm

See you later emancipator. Sorry to see u leave and if you had a problem with me you could have addressed it with me. I always respond to your posts so that criticism is ridiculous and just contrafactual. I don't talk much to bogbrush and Josiah because I find them annoying and have no need to talk to talk to them as nothing they say makes much sense to me. If you feel the same way about my posts that is your prerogative. Sorry to see you go, but goodbye.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon 13 Aug 2012, 8:29 pm

please don't go
don't go-oooo-oooo-oooo
don't go away
please don't go
don't go-oooo-oooo-oooo
Im begging you to stay.

No, seriously.
Anyway , that particular post you refer to was deliberate self-parody, surely?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 13 Aug 2012, 8:38 pm

And the other stuff, is BS in this post to Emancipator, very dissappointing I don't want to beat a dead horse because you want to leave. Show me one, one instance of me misquoting someone. Whenever I quote from the outside I give the link. And when I quote other posters I have never misquoted them, I pull the text right out of their post with no changes. I don't have a problem with you wanting to leave and not liking my posts but the idea that i purposelly misquote people is borderline libellous really, I can't think of a single instance or anyone who has even accused me of that behavior and I can't let that one go without setting the record straight.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Mon 13 Aug 2012, 8:56 pm

Last edited by lydian on Fri 17 Aug 2012, 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 13 Aug 2012, 9:03 pm

Well lydian sad to see you go when as you say you think the forum has gotten better than a few months ago. We have had our disagreements I hope you aren't talking about me as the one slagging you off, in fact I am pretty sure you aren't. If the forum has gotten better and you are one of the guys who has paid the price I would like for you to stick around. But hey, everyone gets tired of argueing from time to time.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 13 Aug 2012, 9:04 pm

emancipator wrote:"It will be close as I predict every possible flavor of cupcake draw will be fed to federer between now and the end of the season as his fans in the tournament organizing committees will do their best for team Nike and toss Roger gooey cupcake after gooey cupcake to give him the best possible chance of pulling off the first stolen #1 ranking in history as Djokovic gets the death semi in every tourney, coincidentally of course."
If fed is fed cupcakes that would only make it more difficult for fed, for the cupcakes will fill his stomach and make him sick, thus slowing him down and inducing the vomit reflex especially of the gooey cupcake. Now while they feed the fed gooey cupcake, they will be feeding djokovic into the eggchamber and we all know the eggchamber turns djokovic into a hard boiled mean machine and so givens the advantage to the iceman from serbia. Now that in some culinary circles would soufle the suggestion that au contraire young sasquatch the avantage est surement on the big foot of the serbian maestro. Quad erat demonstrandum.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 13 Aug 2012, 9:16 pm

Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad

I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: `Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed.
And on the pedestal these words appear --
"My name is ozy ozy ozy oi oi oi, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.'

Goodbye Oh minions 767733566 Goodbye Oh minions 767733566 Goodbye Oh minions 767733566 Goodbye Oh minions 767733566

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Mon 13 Aug 2012, 9:40 pm

Tennis is so boring at the moment. What it needs is an epic Nadal Federer US Open final... That would get everyone talking again.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 13 Aug 2012, 9:45 pm

hawkeye wrote:Tennis is so boring at the moment. What it needs is an epic Nadal Federer US Open final... That would get everyone talking again.
I think everyone was hoping that the young ones would break through, the Tomics, the Dolgopolovs, the Raonics etc. But they haven't and we are left with the big four, the big 6, the shaky 7-12, and the rest.

cake coffee

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 13 Aug 2012, 9:56 pm

Emancipator, do not know what has prompted this and do not spend anywhere near enough time on tennis boards to try and find out but I'll be sorry to see you go, always found you amusing when you made you way over to the boxing board and can promise you you're always welcome over there.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 13 Aug 2012, 10:01 pm

I don't buy the "cupcake theorem". You knows, with such chat threads, and with the Olympics consuming not cupcakes but time, lots of time. Time that could be spent doing things that have to be done that are still currently undone. Well I think that's the reason. As a great man once said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ux3DKxxFoM

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Mon 13 Aug 2012, 10:17 pm

I agree with everything in Emans opening post.

Hell Freezing over will occur before socal gives up blabbering about the draws!
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Mon 13 Aug 2012, 10:20 pm

I don't buy into the draw conspiracy theories one bit. In fact, whilst I respect the views of those who claim it to be true my own opinion is that I think it's absolute nonsense. However, I deal with this by generally ignoring any posts about them.

I think it's a shame - and a little surprising - that rather than just ignoring them, someone has instead decided to leave the board.

But each to their own. Good luck.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 13 Aug 2012, 10:50 pm

Danny_1982 wrote:I don't buy into the draw conspiracy theories one bit. In fact, whilst I respect the views of those who claim it to be true my own opinion is that I think it's absolute nonsense. However, I deal with this by generally ignoring any posts about them.

I think it's a shame - and a little surprising - that rather than just ignoring them, someone has instead decided to leave the board.

But each to their own. Good luck.

The funny thing is Danny the last 5 threads referencing the possiblity of draw discrimination or Djokovic and alleged draw rigging have been started by the following people:

Hawkeye-1
Laverfan (2)
Invisiblecoolers (2)
Socal-a big fat zero

I am being accused of hammering away with repetive posts. The funny thing is that I try not to respond to a lot of posts that reference me or my positions because there are so many of them and I don't have the time! People come out and do threads directly attacking me on foggy or on conspiracy theories and I respond to those threads. I don't ignore people, I just can't respond to every comment or thread directed at me or my positions I have to cherry pick it just don't have the time. And the fact that others want to talk about this issue and address threads at me some of them openly taunting like Invisiblecoolers little are Canadians now discriminating against Djoko jibes and others.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Mon 13 Aug 2012, 10:56 pm

Socal - I think you've misunderstood my post.

I meant I find it a shame that emancipator has chosen to leave the board, rather than just choosing to ignore the draw discussions. I wasn't talking about you ignoring anyone.

That's all. I never comment on the draw conspiracy theories because I don't believe it to be true. But also because I don't find it that interesting a discussion anyway.

But I was not accusing you of ignoring anyone or not. I switch off when I see it being discussed to be honest.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Mon 13 Aug 2012, 11:08 pm

I will be very sad to see both Emancipator and Lydian go. Hopefully a short break will be enough to recharge the batteries and you will both return Fingers Crossed

I don't buy into the draw fixing either but find it pretty easy to avoid threads about it. It is clearly a topic that multiple posters feel passionate about both ways hence the ongoing debate. Would be a shame to leave over it.

Lydian - it seems a shame to stop posting just when the board is calming again. Hope to see you back soon flying the flag for Nadal.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 13 Aug 2012, 11:22 pm

Yes carrie a very mature attitude there are a lot of threads that just don't interest me in terms of participating and i don't look at them or respond. Lydian is a strange case for me because he himself states that it has gotten better and that most of the people he had issue with are gone and yet he still wants to leave. Sad to see BOTH OF them go even the goofey and loveable emancipator.

Danny, I didn't misunderstand your post I get what you are saying I guess I was still referencing a comment in the OP's original thread about how I ignore posts and questions directed at me. The only people I ignore on purpose is BB and to a much lesser extent his young padawuan learner jedi Josiah. So I get what you are saying you aren't interested and don't buy the conspiracy threads. But a significant group of posters do enjoy it so just ignore it if you don't like talking about it.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Mon 13 Aug 2012, 11:23 pm

Extremely disappointed to see the respective departures of emancipator and lydian.

As one who decided to take a break from contributing a little while back (just before Olympics semis) I have only been popping in for the occasional browse recently, but these two exits have dampened what little enthusiasm I had for a return to playing an active part any time soon.

Danny, I hear what you say about simply choosing to ignore the plethora of posts on conspiracy theories - however tiresome and repetitive they become. But to my way of thinking, it’s a bit like finding your once-favourite daily newspaper has moved from just one or two articles a day which you consider waffle to filling page after page with them. Eventually you get to a point where, instead of just flicking over to the next story/article, you decide it’s really not worth bothering to buy the paper any longer. But that's always a personal choice of course ; newspaper readers - like posters - come and go, and each to his or her own.

More than anything, I think what tipped the balance for me was the way in which the conspiracy theories somehow found their way into the Olympics singles with talk of cupcake draws – even to the point of a total dismissal of Juan Martin Del Potro’s chances in his semi. The same Del Potro who had famously beaten Federer in a Slam Final, on a hard court where the contrast with a grass court and hence respective abilities and 'match-ups' are nowhere near as defined as they once were in years past. The very same Del Potro who then proceeded to hustle Federer in one of the longest matches in Olympic history and of course later went on to claim a much-deserved bronze medal against Djokovic. You put forward your own arguments at the time, debate is healthy and nobody expects consensus but eventually you end up asking yourself how much live tennis some folk actually watch, and how much time they spend instead in fuelling their own prejudice.

I can’t say I’ve ever been abused in the way lydian describes he has, and I don’t for one moment imagine I myself have been or will be missed from the forum. But I do know that emancipator and lydian were great posters and just the sort that WILL be missed ; farewell to both of you, and so sorry to see you go.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Mon 13 Aug 2012, 11:26 pm

C'mon guys, emancipator and Lydian that is - this board just wouldn't be the same without either of you. I tune in to enjoy Lydian's knowledge and passion for the game and for emancipator's humour and extra terristerial (I can't spell under stress Sad ) powers of forecasting!!!

Socal is a hugely enthusiastic and great poster too - it's our differences that make this a lively and exciting place. And I would say to you socal that while bb may annoy you, the interplay between the two of you creates a lot of affection for you both on the board as well as amusement, as in laughing with rather than at, I hasten to add.

What is it bogbrush said once 'it is not opinion on here that is the problem, it is intolerance of opinion' - surely we are all intelligent enough and have enough sense of humour or perspective to just allow each of us our own particular fobiles.

And Lydian, I say from the heart to you - I just feel you are being very sensitive and I would urge you to stay here where you are appreciated and valued as a poster and just accept that history means it is not the same everywhere but who cares if you have 606v2 kiss I hope one of my messages bl**dy well finds you!!!!

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 Mon 13 Aug 2012, 11:28 pm

WOW. Loads of emotion here.

Calm down a bit.

It's the internet.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Mon 13 Aug 2012, 11:33 pm

Would be a shame for Lags72 to stop posting too. All three make a great contribution to the board.

I also agree with TPs sentiment re Lydian. Stay here where you are appreciated!

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 14 Aug 2012, 12:04 am

We are talking about multi-millionnaire middle class young men who don't work, they play a game of tennis. No matter how harsh the criticism they may receive on this thread they find themselves in champaigne and caviar for the rest of their days, with sponsors showering money onto them and prime ministers and presidents wanting to appear with them in photoshoots.

It is just a game that some of us have a little interest in, either playing the game ourselves, or if not having an occassional interest in following. We are not talking politics, religion, economics, global inequality, environmental pollution, arms industry, etc. We are talking about a game of hitting a green ball from one side of a net to another. To be honest the most interesting thing that interest me are the people on these forums.

Ultimately if we can't show a sense of proportion and tolerance then what chance do we have when talking about things that really do matter.

Anyway, a bottle of something and a good walk normally does the trick.

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Tue 14 Aug 2012, 1:01 am

I hope you reconsider too lags Hug

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Tue 14 Aug 2012, 1:40 am

socal1976 wrote:See you later emancipator. Sorry to see u leave and if you had a problem with me you could have addressed it with me. I always respond to your posts so that criticism is ridiculous and just contrafactual. I don't talk much to bogbrush and Josiah because I find them annoying and have no need to talk to talk to them as nothing they say makes much sense to me. If you feel the same way about my posts that is your prerogative. Sorry to see you go, but goodbye.

Socal you irritated not just him, me and many more, you even went abusive on me for countering your points, one of them was chimpanzee post, I didn't report you, but for such offensive behavior you should have at least be warned , but I thought you would change, but honestly who cares, but yes like Emanci I might call it a quit too if the trend of the forum continue in the same boring manner. nope

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 14 Aug 2012, 3:00 am

Do whatever you choose to do invisible, don't play the victim card you attacked me in mulitple threads and I responded in kind. I don't insult posters if I feel they are being honest and fair in a debate ever. When I repeat to you ten times that I called Fed's draw as a whole cupcake and not Del Potro specifically you went the very next day and posted a thread insinuating again and again that I called Del Po cupcake. I don't like to have my positions misrepresented and if I answer a point and you keep repeating the same misrepresentation after I correct you i take that as annoying and insulting behavior as well.

Since this has turned into a support group for those abused by Socal I found much of what has been said by most as very informative. But I can't agree with you invisible or emancipator. BY THE WAY THE LAST 5 THREADS ON THIS TOPIC WHERE STARTED BY OTHER POSTERS AND NOT ME and all addressed me directly. At that point what do you wish me to do talk about the upcome presidential election?

But it is ok I have found that I have become a lightening rod. And I will not change my opinions or decide what I will or won't say because two or three (Invisible, emanci) and of you that have all taken runs at me in the past now. yes I have after provocation responded with light jibes and name calling that I shouldn't do. But I take misrepresenting me and reposting the same crap after I address a point like I just spoke to a wall to be dishonest and annoying debating and insulting in a similar manner as name calling.

By the way I hope that Lags, Invisible, Emanci, and Lydian all participate; but if you think that I feel guilty or have done anything wrong well I respectfully disagree.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by kemet Tue 14 Aug 2012, 3:35 am

Nore Staat wrote:We are talking about multi-millionnaire middle class young men who don't work, they play a game of tennis. No matter how harsh the criticism they may receive on this thread they find themselves in champaigne and caviar for the rest of their days, with sponsors showering money onto them and prime ministers and presidents wanting to appear with them in photoshoots.

It is just a game that some of us have a little interest in, either playing the game ourselves, or if not having an occassional interest in following. We are not talking politics, religion, economics, global inequality, environmental pollution, arms industry, etc. We are talking about a game of hitting a green ball from one side of a net to another. To be honest the most interesting thing that interest me are the people on these forums.

Ultimately if we can't show a sense of proportion and tolerance then what chance do we have when talking about things that really do matter.

clap

Finally, the voice of reason. These players that we get so worked up about are literally set for life, while in the real world, the majority of us have to work our posteriors off for a living and have to deal with fun things like a mortgage, unpaid student loans (in my case), etc. People can criticize Roger Federer until they are blue in the face or write him off as a weak era bully. I doubt it would matter much to Roger (he can take care of his parents, along with his family for the rest of his life and sleep quite comfortably), so I have decided a long time ago to not get too emotionally invested. The same goes for the other top tennis players.

Thank you Nore Staat for injecting some common sense into the discourse.

kemet

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Tue 14 Aug 2012, 3:48 am

So calling us [Me, Emanci, BB, JHM] as chimps and cave mans are not offensive and playing a false victim card right? r u really on senses? I don't know whether mods saw it. When you draw rigging thread and cup cake mythology was proved silly with DP argument you started to become offensive and offensive, just coz we remained quite doesn't mean u didn't go offensive, point me an instance where me or Emanci or JHM used any rude /abusive words on u?

You were fun to discuss with early on, but this socal is completely different, I don't see u as any different to Tenez, saint seppi and tat one Federer fan, when your argument proved wrong you kept insisting on it without countering it with facts, the worst part is this rude statement.

socal1976 wrote:

Laverfan thanks again for your fairness. Teaching these regressed cromagnons concepts like honest debate, fairness, and decorum is impossible for one as experienced and as forgiving as yourself. Kind of like trying to get chimpanzees to work in symphony orchestra. But I appreciate the vote of support. Don't worry laverfan if they combined their brains together they couldn't out think me or out write me, that is the source of their paranoid obsession with me in the first place. If you wan't to dance Ill whip the lot of you!

Here is the link of your posting - https://www.606v2.com/t33381-so-do-we-canadians-now-discriminating-djoko-as-well

As I said earlier I thought you would change, but its going bad to ugly to worst, I call it a quit too, count it 3 now [I guess BB might have already left] I don't want anybody to feel sorry for me leaving, it was a fine forum and I wish it be the same in the future too, poor LF and JHM tried hard to run this forum , good luck. thumbsup

MY Official last post is done, i don't write this to get a reply from you Socal and I won't feed you anymore.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Tue 14 Aug 2012, 7:36 am

Not you too IC! I would really miss you if you left (even if you do mistakenly believe that DP can beat a 100% Murray Wink )

This draw fixing debate is turning into the b$%%dy G*AT debate again (yes I think it does need to be asterisked as a swear word). It has turned way over-heated on too many occasions and will NEVER result in consensus. Some of the insults I have read have been very strong which saddens me. As NS rightly says we are not discussing world peace or any ultimately important issues. I can honestly say I respect all of the regular posters on this thread and it would be a real shame if any left. We now have a much better cross section of support for all players (ATP anyway) which is really healthy and what leads to mature, interesting debate. It is very easy for a debate to get over-heated through the relative anonymity of forum. A poster gets annoyed, they vent and hit send without really thinking about it. I can see how it happens but it still shouldn't happen. Personal insults add nothing to a debate and actually devalue the arguments of the person issuing them - this is a general point and not directed at any one in particular. Anyway that's my opinion, take it or leave it. I hope no-one leaves and I can continue to enjoy reading the opinions and player enthusiasm of Nadal, Djokovic, Murray, Federer, Del Potro etc. etc. fans for a long time to come.

PS sorry for such a long post, I don't blame you if you drifted off halfway through.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by mangamuri Tue 14 Aug 2012, 8:01 am

Even though I don't contribute much here I always come to see lydian's perspective on many topics. If he is truly leaving it is very sad. Hope he changes his decision. Otherwise I am also off too !!

mangamuri

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 14 Aug 2012, 8:16 am

Are people really leaving or threatening to leave because socal1976 believes the draws are rigged? Amazing...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Tue 14 Aug 2012, 8:49 am

Nore Staat wrote:We are talking about multi-millionnaire middle class young men who don't work, they play a game of tennis. No matter how harsh the criticism they may receive on this thread they find themselves in champaigne and caviar for the rest of their days, with sponsors showering money onto them and prime ministers and presidents wanting to appear with them in photoshoots.

Sorry Nore, just can't resist. I was going to be bigger than this, but I don't think I'm ready to be lectured by you on a sense of proportion, or your interest in people on the forum.

I wouldn't mind, if not an apology after your good walk, an acknowledgement that you were completely OTT with me on this occasion: https://www.606v2.com/t33072p100-olympic-day-1-thread!!

I was ready, as I said, to draw a line under it, but must admit to being a bit open mouthed at you taking the moral/sensible high ground here!

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 14 Aug 2012, 8:55 am

I think I mentioned a long time ago that the sustainable "health" of any forum (a place for people to meet and to chat) depends on the rate at which it is able to attract new members. "Old" members will continue to leave for various reasons including mortal coil (poor Duggie Sad ), hence the need for new members - otherwise it will become another Ozymandias (see above Shelley poem).

After any major tournament there is usually a large lull (not much forum activity), as people recover from the invested time and energy (including emotional) they have put into following the tournament and contributing to the forum. Often they realise they have a back-log of personal (real-world) stuff, they need to attend to, that was left while they indulged themselves in following the tournament. This can make them more prone to make decisions such as "leaving the forum for good", citing something minor or not so minor that might have been bugging them. However forum activity normally picks up towards the start of a new major tournament.

Recently we have had Wimbledon followed by the Olympics - so it is expected that we would now have a major lull. Also it is holiday/ vacation time for some of us!

Last edited by Nore Staat on Tue 14 Aug 2012, 8:57 am; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 14 Aug 2012, 8:56 am

I once read a statistic that said that more women attempt suicide than men but more men actually die committing suicide (In making this point I am not condoning suicide and am very sorry if anyone has been effected by it).

The reason behind this statistic is that women often attempt suicide not to kill themselves but as a cry for help and/or attention.

Threads like this one are similar to that stat.

Its all for attention.

"oh look at me - I am leaving the site"
"I dont want attention but....."

If anyone wants to leave the site, then just go. Dont tell others, just pm a moderator and they will suspend your account.

All that proclaiming your intention is leaving is doing, is causing arguments and dragging others along in your desperate attempts for attention.

For those leaving, I am very sorry that you can not find happiness on this forum, which over the last few months has improved incredibly due to the work of the moderators we have in place.

Hopefully, you will take a break and come back refreshed and full of tennis debate.

If any of you decide to leave and not come back, the forum will live on. I wish you all well in your future postings elsewhere.

Last edited by Adam D on Tue 14 Aug 2012, 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Tue 14 Aug 2012, 9:02 am

Fair point Adam!

Nore Staat wrote:I think I mentioned a long time ago that the sustainable "health" of any forum (a place for people to meet and to chat) depends on the rate at which it is able to attract new members. "Old" members will continue to leave for various reasons including mortal coil (poor Duggie Sad ), hence the need for new members - otherwise it will become another Ozymandias (see above Shelley poem).

May I just suggest that it would be nice if, instead of trying to dazzle all with your superior understanding and intelligence, you just had the decency to apologise to me for the above? (link in post above, that is) OK

I guess I am just an expendable poster Very Happy

Last edited by time please on Tue 14 Aug 2012, 9:05 am; edited 1 time in total

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue 14 Aug 2012, 9:04 am

Whenever I read lengthy explanations about why someone is going to leave a forum because they are upset for one reason or another I always wonder how such sensitive petals manage in the real world.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 14 Aug 2012, 9:08 am

[quote="Adam D"]I once read a statistic that said that more women attempt suicide than men but more men actually die committing suicide (In making this point I am not condoning suicide and am very sorry if anyone has been effected by it).

The reason behind this statistic is that women often attempt suicide not to kill themselves but as a cry for help and/or attention.

Oh boy, now I'm all confused. (Sorry, that's bc I'm not a regular here).
You mean emancipator, lydian and IC are ALL female posters?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 14 Aug 2012, 9:34 am

time please: you're from Oxford so must be posh and intelligent Wink

CS: I think Adam was suggesting they be testosterone filled posters. The suggestion is: "the "act" is more for performance than to actually carry out the deed. However those with too much testosterone normally overdo the performance and hence actually carry out the deed.

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Tue 14 Aug 2012, 9:39 am

Adam D wrote:I once read a statistic that said that more women attempt suicide than men but more men actually die committing suicide (In making this point I am not condoning suicide and am very sorry if anyone has been effected by it).

Its all for attention.

"oh look at me - I am leaving the site"
"I dont want attention but....."

If anyone wants to leave the site, then just go. Dont tell others, just pm a moderator and they will suspend your account.

All that proclaiming your intention is leaving is doing, is causing arguments and dragging others along in your desperate attempts for attention.

For those leaving, I am very sorry that you can not find happiness on this forum, which over the last few months has improved incredibly due to the work of the moderators we have in place.

Hopefully, you will take a break and come back refreshed and full of tennis debate.

If any of you decide to leave and not come back, the forum will live on. I wish you all well in your future postings elsewhere.

Adam what ARE you talking about. "I not eat this point"?! It is questionable taste (or plain thick) to use a sensitive subject like suicide to back up a frankly inconsequential opinion of forum members' posting habits. Even worse to do so using garbled grammar so that it is incomprehensible to those who read it.

To those that are thinking of leaving - I sympathise - but will say a bit of a break from the forum or simply ignoring the asinine ramblings of posters stuck in a loop may be just as effective. If you are indeed off permanently I wish you all well and hope to see you elsewhere. Whisky

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Tue 14 Aug 2012, 9:41 am

Nore Staat wrote:time please: you're from Oxford so must be posh and intelligent Wink

Is that an apology?

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 14 Aug 2012, 9:43 am

Apologies for my opening line in brackets - predictive text on my phone).

I have now changed it to make sense!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 14 Aug 2012, 9:53 am

emancipator/lydian. I do hope you guys change your minds and have a re-think. Some times a break elsewhere may help stimulate your interest in this winderful sport.

I just like to point out talk of other sites should not be a taboo subject. At the end of the day we are not encouraging posters to be 'unfaithful' it is just what is discussed here and what is discussed elsewhere are often 2 different things. I recently joined another forum and I think it helps if you are looking for a different crowd to mingle with and exchange opinions with. Yes I know I posted a subject based on what was discussed on another forum and I know I was a tad heavy handed in the wording, but it did underneath some of the comments touch on some great points made by others which made the subject quite relevent.

I think sharing with other sites helps spread the word about what forums are. Elsewhere they are allow the talk of such subjects as doping and sporting behaviour. Because it is not discussed here doesn't mean it isn't discussed elsewhere. This forum has become user friendly and for me is for those who like 'softer' debates in terms of the friendliness and good spirit it is carried out in. Other forums do discuss the same subjects and others and can be a bit more 'rough' with the posters who may be more frank and bit more aggressive.

What posters shouldn't feel is that they are being talked over when trying debate or engage with other posters. I have certainly learnt to avoid discussions which I know will most likely provoke a bit more frank and aggressive response from myself probably because I feel the debate being presented makes no sense to me or is just aiming for that element of behaviour in me. Sometimes going to other forums is not a bad course of action. Dabbling between forums daily can sometimes help you as a poster seek out the debates you like and also keep your interest in tennis healthy or even strengthen your interest in it.

The moderators in Julius and LF have really galvanised this forum as they contribute as posters too and understand when debates become heated that they can disperse themselves.

I feel the last word on my piece should go to emancipator and lydian and I do wish you have a think about it. Think of the other subjects bar tennis you have commented on and maybe just hang around in those sections to not put you off debating.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy_Kyle Tue 14 Aug 2012, 9:55 am

Guys (mods) I don't know what's going on on this board and why my post was deleted.

Isn't it in my own right to state that I am perfefectly happy with the decision taken by Lydian and that I hope this time he/she(?) will follow up?
Jeremy_Kyle
Jeremy_Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 14 Aug 2012, 9:59 am

Jeremy - I am unaware of any post being deleted. Maybe one of the other mods did so but not me.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Tue 14 Aug 2012, 10:07 am

Adam D wrote:Apologies for my opening line in brackets - predictive text on my phone).

I have now changed it to make sense!

OK - thanks for changing that line - phones are a pain aren't they.

However I still think the analogy you are making is a big load of BS - it seems to boil down to "posters who are leaving are attention seekers like suicidal women who don't succeed in killing themselves".

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 14 Aug 2012, 10:09 am

J_K I deleted your post - you may not agree with the decision, but I don't believe for one second you have no idea why.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 14 Aug 2012, 10:15 am

What I find sad, is the first day I head the 606v2 World Tour 2012 league (if my maths is correct Yahoo), everyone decides to leave! Sad.

I know Emancy had a dreadful time at the Rogers Cup, but to actually leave over it Crying or Very sad

... and then to cover the real reason up by proposing a "misuse of cupcakes in an argument" reason, well frankly I find it all disappointing.

Cry

Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy_Kyle Tue 14 Aug 2012, 10:17 am

I have got an idea..... but I strongly disagree with your decision. Also if you have bothered to let me know you were going delete it, I would have been more than happy to re-write it, like I did above.

Hope this time my view on this whole thing won't be deleted.
Jeremy_Kyle
Jeremy_Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Tue 14 Aug 2012, 11:15 am

reckoner wrote:
Nore Staat wrote:time please: you're from Oxford so must be posh and intelligent Wink

Is that an apology?

Laugh I think it is the proverbial two finger salute actually Wink

Well that's me nicely pigeon-holed - I must admit to do the same to you Nore, but with slightly different vocab! OK

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 14 Aug 2012, 11:20 am

time please wrote:
reckoner wrote:

Is that an apology?

Laugh I think it is the proverbial two finger salute actually Wink

Well that's me nicely pigeon-holed - I must admit to do the same to you Nore, but with slightly different vocab! OK

Laugh

I can't imagine you turning the air blue TP

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next