The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Worst WrestleMania Main Event.

+11
Kid Vicious
Kay Fabe
JamesLincs
nasisillmatic
NickisBHAFC
Shot 21 LCFC
Mr H
TheCultOfPersonality
Dr Gregory House MD
Dolphin Ziggler
Samo
15 posters

Go down

The Worst Wrestlemania Main Event

Worst WrestleMania Main Event. Vote_lcap3%Worst WrestleMania Main Event. Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 1 ]
Worst WrestleMania Main Event. Vote_lcap3%Worst WrestleMania Main Event. Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 1 ]
Worst WrestleMania Main Event. Vote_lcap0%Worst WrestleMania Main Event. Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Worst WrestleMania Main Event. Vote_lcap0%Worst WrestleMania Main Event. Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 1 ]
[ 0 ]
Worst WrestleMania Main Event. Vote_lcap30%Worst WrestleMania Main Event. Vote_rcap 30% 
[ 11 ]
[ 0 ]
Worst WrestleMania Main Event. Vote_lcap16%Worst WrestleMania Main Event. Vote_rcap 16% 
[ 6 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 1 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
Worst WrestleMania Main Event. Vote_lcap5%Worst WrestleMania Main Event. Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 2 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 1 ]
[ 0 ]
Worst WrestleMania Main Event. Vote_lcap8%Worst WrestleMania Main Event. Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 3 ]
[ 0 ]
Worst WrestleMania Main Event. Vote_lcap26%Worst WrestleMania Main Event. Vote_rcap 26% 
[ 10 ]

Total Votes : 37

Worst WrestleMania Main Event. Empty Worst WrestleMania Main Event.

Post by Samo Mon 29 Jul 2013, 12:42 pm

For the sake of ease, Im counting the match that goes on last as THE main event, only because alot of Manias, especially the recent ones, have more than one match classified as a Main Event.

WrestleMania 1

Hulk Hogan and Mr. T (with Jimmy Snuka) defeated Roddy Piper and Paul Orndorff (with Bob Orton) - Tag match with Pat Patterson and Muhammed Ali as special referees.

Wrestlemania 2

Hulk Hogan (c) defeated King Kong Bundy (with Bobby Heenan) - Steel Cage Match for the WWF title.

WrestleMania 3

Hulk Hogan (c) defeated André the Giant (with Bobby Heenan) - Singles match for the WWF title.

WrestleMania 4

Randy Savage (with Miss Elizabeth and Hulk Hogan) defeated Ted DiBiase (with André the Giant) - Tournament final for the vacant WWF title.

WrestleMania 5

Hulk Hogan defeated Randy Savage (c) - Singles match for the WWF title.

WrestleMania 6

The Ultimate Warrior (Intercontinental Champion) defeated Hulk Hogan (WWF Champion) - Champion vs Champion match for the IC and WWF titles.

WrestleMania 7

Hulk Hogan defeated Sgt. Slaughter (c) (with General Adnan) - Singles match for the WWF title.

WrestleMania 8

Hulk Hogan defeated Sid Justice (with Harvey Wippleman) by disqualification - Singles match.

WrestleMania 9

Hulk Hogan defeated Yokozuna (c) (with Mr. Fuji) - Singles match for the WWF title.  Happened almost immediatly after Yokozuna bt Bret Hart for the WWF title.

WrestleMania 10

Bret Hart defeated Yokozuna (c) (with Mr. Fuji and Jim Cornette) - Singles match for the WWF title with Roddy Piper as the special referee.

WrestleMania 11

Lawrence Taylor defeated Bam Bam Bigelow (with Ted DiBiase) - Singles match with Pat Patterson as the special referee.

WrestleMania 12

Shawn Michaels (with Jose Lothario) defeated Bret Hart (c) - 60 minute Iron Man match for the WWF title.

WrestleMania 13

The Undertaker defeated Sycho Sid (c)[1] - No DQ match for the WWF title.

WrestleMania 14

Stone Cold Steve Austin defeated Shawn Michaels (c) (with Triple H and Chyna) - Singles match for the WWF title with 'Iron' Mike Tyson as the special outside enforcer.

WrestleMania 15

Stone Cold Steve Austin defeated The Rock (c) - No DQ match for the WWF title.

WrestleMania 2000

Triple H (c) (with Stephanie McMahon-Helmsley) defeated The Rock (with Vince McMahon), Mick Foley (with Linda McMahon) and The Big Show (with Shane McMahon)  -4 way elimination match for the WWF title.

WrestleMania 17

Stone Cold Steve Austin defeated The Rock (c) - No DQ match for the WWF title.

WrestleMania 18

Triple H defeated Chris Jericho (c) (with Stephanie McMahon) - Singles match for the WWF Undisputed Title.

WrestleMania 19

Brock Lesnar defeated Kurt Angle (c) - Singles match for the WWE title; If Kurt Angle was counted out or disqualified he would lose the title.

WrestleMania 20

Chris Benoit defeated Triple H (c) and Shawn Michaels - Triple Threat match for the World Heavyweight Title.

WrestleMania 21

Batista defeated Triple H (c) (with Ric Flair) - Singles match for the World Heavyweight Title.

WrestleMania 22

John Cena (c) defeated Triple H - Singles match for the WWE title.

WrestleMania 23

John Cena (c) defeated Shawn Michaels - Singles match for the WWE title.

WrestleMania 24

The Undertaker defeated Edge (c) (with Vickie Guerrero, Curt Hawkins and Zack Ryder) - Singles match for the World Heavyweight Title.

WrestleMania 25

Triple H (c) defeated Randy Orton - Singles match for the WWE title; if Triple H was counted out of disqualified he would lose the title.

WrestleMania 26

The Undertaker defeated Shawn Michaels - No DQ 'Streak vs Career' match.

WrestleMania 27

The Miz (c) (with Alex Riley) defeated John Cena - Singles match for the WWE title.

WrestleMania 28

The Rock defeated John Cena - Singles match.

WrestleMania 29

John Cena defeated The Rock (c) - Singles match for the WWE title.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Worst WrestleMania Main Event. Empty Re: Worst WrestleMania Main Event.

Post by Guest Mon 29 Jul 2013, 12:47 pm

There's a couple there a would pick

this years was beyond poor and completely predicatble and 27 was quite poor as well from recent memory

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 29 Jul 2013, 12:51 pm

9 or 11, and at a push 27 would make the consideration.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Mon 29 Jul 2013, 12:56 pm

7 rubbish angle, forced WWE to change buildings ticket sales were so bad, could never follow Savage v Warrior and the match was crap to top it all off

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by TheCultOfPersonality Mon 29 Jul 2013, 1:14 pm

I hated the Wrestlemania 27 Main Event. I liked the result of Miz winning, however the match itself was poor and a real cluster with the stop and start and the interference of The Rock. The only real stand from this main event was before the match started as the promo's for Cena and The Miz for their entrances were awesome, however the match was poor.

TheCultOfPersonality

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 29 Jul 2013, 1:34 pm

I think 9 riles me the most. 27 was annoying as it was basically a main event match at wrestlemania to build a main event match for the next mania, but 9 was just pathetic. Pathetic actual main event, pathetic heroic saviour role, pathetic fear that Hogan still had to be the image of wrestling

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Mon 29 Jul 2013, 2:54 pm

I think 8 was the best and worst at the same time. Botched finish, a nonsensical run in by Papa Shango, still trying to get my head around that, followed by 'Wait a minute, is that the Warriors music'.

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Mon 29 Jul 2013, 3:15 pm

I went for the shambles that was 9 in the end, although special mentions for 11 due to it featuring an American football player, and 20 due to the fact that the person standing tall at the end of the night was a murdering piece of sh*t...

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Mon 29 Jul 2013, 3:19 pm

What did you think of the main event the day after Wrestlemania 20 Shot?

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 29 Jul 2013, 3:20 pm

That Papa Shango run in is brilliant in the worst way!

20 is some wrestling fans fondest memory

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 29 Jul 2013, 3:22 pm

Mr H wrote:I think 8 was the best and worst at the same time. Botched finish, a nonsensical run in by Papa Shango, still trying to get my head around that, followed by 'Wait a minute, is that the Warriors music'.

But its still brilliant when you watch it

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Mon 29 Jul 2013, 3:24 pm

Not sure how people can Pick 29 over 27.

27 was beyond rubbish, John Cena vs The Miz says it all and the Rock interference was always predictable. In short, complete rubbish. 

Also 29 wasn't as bad as people make it out to be, people just love to knock it as its the rock vs john cena.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Mon 29 Jul 2013, 3:35 pm

Mr H wrote:What did you think of the main event the day after Wrestlemania 20 Shot?

I will be totally honest mate I cant remember what it was. What was it?

I remember watching WM20 live, and at the time I had chills running down the back of my spine seeing Benoit and Guerrero hugging at the end (I was a Benoit fan at the time). Its more of a hindsight thing now that makes me frown upon it. Obviously the actual match was amazing, but knowing what Benoit would go on to do makes it hard for me to appreciate anything involving him.

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Mon 29 Jul 2013, 3:39 pm

Nothing will beat WM11 for me. Lawrence Taylor vs Bam Bam...WTF

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 29 Jul 2013, 3:44 pm

Shot 21 LCFC wrote:
Mr H wrote:What did you think of the main event the day after Wrestlemania 20 Shot?

I remember watching WM20 live, and at the time I had chills running down the back of my spine seeing Benoit and Guerrero hugging at the end (I was a Benoit fan at the time). Its more of a hindsight thing now that makes me frown upon it. Obviously the actual match was amazing, but knowing what Benoit would go on to do makes it hard for me to appreciate anything involving him.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1712722-chris-benoit-movie-gets-its-director

You'll love that!

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Mon 29 Jul 2013, 3:46 pm

Shot 21 LCFC wrote:

I agree mate. I never really liked Benoit anyway, he was a charisma vacuum. The WWE are right in their stance in not acknowledging him. You don't find people saying Jimmy Saville should be appreciated for all the work he done do you.

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 29 Jul 2013, 3:49 pm

NickisBHAFC wrote:Not sure how people can Pick 29 over 27.

27 was beyond rubbish, John Cena vs The Miz says it all and the Rock interference was always predictable. In short, complete rubbish. 

Also 29 wasn't as bad as people make it out to be, people just love to knock it as its the rock vs john cena.

I was torn, but 29 just felt like a huge slap in the face and I was so angry watching it. It wasn't so much that Cena won, its how he won. I would happily have accepted a Cena win with a turn but the fact he won clean, and the fact that you could call it as it happened (as it was the mirror image of 12 months previous - hitting the finisher whilst they were going for the peoples elbow). Even if Rock just got up and walked away...but no. They had to shake hands didn't they. I was raging, and am again now thinking back to it

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesLincs Mon 29 Jul 2013, 5:15 pm

29. i felt depressed at the end. the rock saluting john cena. i mean, comon! wtf. the end of the match was just terrible. finisher after finisher, kick out after kick out. it was a shambles.

i think if rock had sucked cena off at the top of the ramp, i would have cringed less than i did after the salute

JamesLincs

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Mon 29 Jul 2013, 5:23 pm

WrestleMania VII Main Event was a bum steer, McMahon had two options, go with the big re-match with Warrior/Hogan or go with Warrior/Savage which had been the hottest angle the WWF had but McMahon wanted to hedge his bets by keeping Hogan and Warrior apart....fair enough but to put the title on Slaughter was beyond moronic.

Fans voted with their feet and stayed away, the WWF had to change venues then created the most idiotic excuse for the venue change...freaking bomb scares, that'll really entice people to want to go ehhh

Savage putting his career on the line for a shot at Warriors belt was the perfect storm, Hogan could still have won the gulf war off Slaughter earlier in the night

I dont think its the worst, but it probably annoys me more than any other

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Mon 29 Jul 2013, 5:31 pm

Kay Fabe wrote:WrestleMania VII Main Event was a bum steer, McMahon had two options, go with the big re-match with Warrior/Hogan or go with Warrior/Savage which had been the hottest angle the WWF had but McMahon wanted to hedge his bets by keeping Hogan and Warrior apart....fair enough but to put the title on Slaughter was beyond moronic.

Fans voted with their feet and stayed away, the WWF had to change venues then  created the most idiotic excuse for the venue change...freaking bomb scares, that'll really entice people to want to go ehhh

Savage putting his career on the line for a shot at Warriors belt was the perfect storm, Hogan could still have won the gulf war off Slaughter earlier in the night

I dont think its the worst, but it probably annoys me more than any other

I love the bomb scares excuse, obviously the 17,000 seater arena is in much less danger of bomb attacks that the 95,000 seater ACROSS THE ROAD

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Mon 29 Jul 2013, 5:33 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:
Shot 21 LCFC wrote:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1712722-chris-benoit-movie-gets-its-director

You'll love that!

Im actually looking forward to watching this film as it might shed a light or 2 on something that still doesnt make sense to me. I dont think it will glorify Benoit or focus on the wrestling aspect too much.

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Kid Vicious Tue 30 Jul 2013, 1:00 pm

The Main Event for Wrestlemania 9 was Bret Hart vs Yokozuna.

Kid Vicious

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue 30 Jul 2013, 1:03 pm

Kid Vicious wrote:The Main Event for Wrestlemania 9 was Bret Hart vs Yokozuna.

It says in the original post that he is using the last match to mean the main event to avoid any disputes.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kid Vicious Tue 30 Jul 2013, 1:08 pm

Crimey wrote:

It says in the original post that he is using the last match to mean the main event to avoid any disputes.

Yeah, but...
It kinda skews the outcome don't you think?

Hulk Hogan in a 20 second squash match of Yokozuna in the main event of Wrestlemania sounds ridiculous, but Hogan coming back and saving the day after Bret got cheated was quite well received at the time.

Kid Vicious

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Tue 30 Jul 2013, 1:15 pm

Kid Vicious wrote:
Crimey wrote:

Yeah, but...
It kinda skews the outcome don't you think?

Hulk Hogan in a 20 second squash match of Yokozuna in the main event of Wrestlemania sounds ridiculous, but Hogan coming back and saving the day after Bret got cheated was quite well received at the time.

Was it really, not saying you're wrong, but my abiding memory was people were getting sicker and sicker of Hogan from around the 90's onwards, was a years absence really enough to make the heart grow fonder.

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Tue 30 Jul 2013, 1:37 pm

That was well received?! I voted WM9 because of how bad the whole outcome was, with Hart pathetic in defeat and Hogan becoming the superman again.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Tue 30 Jul 2013, 1:42 pm

WM9 in general is my worst WM of all time, partly for the matches but mainly because of it being outside in daylight. There was no atmosphere and the Caesar's Palace theme was woeful.

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Tue 30 Jul 2013, 2:37 pm

I didn't like WrestleMania IX much at the time, i taped it as it was on too late andwatched it on what I think was Easter Monday.

I think the venue had a lot to do with how poorly thought of WM9 was, it wasnt a xlassic and im not trying to say it was but I think the lack of atmosphere hindered it, I seem to recall being happy and excited about Hogan winning the WWF Title, I was never a fan of Hogans but it felt like a big momeny at that time, in hindsight it was ridiculous but as a 9 year old I wasn't too disheartened

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Kid Vicious Tue 30 Jul 2013, 2:46 pm

Yeah the final outcome of WM9 was well received. Admittedly, myself and my friends as 11/12 year old Hogan marks do not equate to a viable statistic, but nonetheless, Hogan was still Hogan to us. Maybe the kids born in the late 70's were sick of him by that point and wanted to see some of the held back talented youngsters given a fair crack before all the 80's guys had gone. I get that, but Yokozuna was not as over as hindsight makes out. He was just the same old fat lump we'd seen before in Earthquake, One Man Gang and King Kong Bundy. Not the guy you'd slap the belt on. It wasn't Hogan's fault WWF missed a trick in a much wanted Macho Man vs Bret Hart main event. Nor was it his fault that Mr Perfect face turn floundered through A) not being over as a face and B) injury. And it wasn't Hogan's fault that Bret Hart just simply wasn't quite ready to fill the Hogan-Warrior shaped void.

In that actual moment in 1993, Bret Hart, cheated out of the title, Hogan showing up to check on him, and then Mr Fuji challenging him to a match was not expected. It wasn't on the card, and Hogan had had his match earlier in the night. It wasn't a mark out crazy moment like Warrior showing in 1992, but remember that the WWF had just lost Warrior, Sid, Flair, and Bulldog; the guys who had just (or were meant to) main-evented 3 of the last 4 big events. Without the benefit of hindsight it was a good call.

Kid Vicious

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Wed 31 Jul 2013, 5:15 pm

That's a bit harsh of Earthquake KV, he was very athletic for a big guy and a decent promo, WWE could have done more with him.

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Kid Vicious Wed 31 Jul 2013, 5:34 pm

Dr Gregory House MD wrote:That's a bit harsh of Earthquake KV, he was very athletic for a big guy and a decent promo, WWE could have done more with him.

It wasn't meant as a personal attack on the late John Tenta, more that Yokozuna, in that moment, was just considered another one of those guys. Big man, debut, squash match, thrown straight into a program with Hogan, loses feud, mid card, future endeavoured. Earthquake may have been the most talented of those four guys, but he still walked that same path as near every other big-boned WWF heel before him. I suspect to this day, the only reason Yokozuna held the belt for so long was because Vinnie Mac had lost Hogan and couldn't decide whether to stick the belt on a Canadian, a WCW man, Mr Injured, a still-green Dead Man, or persuade Macho Man to lace up for one last run.

Kid Vicious

Back to top Go down

Post by The Best in the World Wed 31 Jul 2013, 8:25 pm

27 for me, just far too predictable and like someone said earlier, it was a main event to set up the next year's main event. and also couldn't take The Miz as a Wrestlemania main eventer seriously
The Best in the World
The Best in the World

Back to top Go down

Post by Hulking_up Thu 01 Aug 2013, 12:45 pm

Can't believe i'm the only one to pick WM25.

Such an awful, flat, slow match. I still remember the response the next day.

Hulking_up

Back to top Go down

Post by Enforcer Thu 01 Aug 2013, 12:55 pm

I went for WM 9. I remember watching it at the time and I think I enjoyed the whole event, but what I have watched back tells me that my 8 year old self was an idiot!

Really surprised that more people have voted for this years main event than 25 and 27 combined which were atrocious! Three main events in a row have included Cena and The Rock and none of them have been particularly enjoyable and 2 were awful!

Enforcer
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu 01 Aug 2013, 1:31 pm

I dont think WM25 main event was that bad, there was a few things wrong with it, it followed one of the greatest 1 on 1 Matches in WrestleMania history and 2) it was crying out for a major swerve, if HHH/Orton and HBK/Takers match position was swapped I dont think the HHH/Orton match would be so harshly criticised

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Thu 01 Aug 2013, 2:13 pm

I agree KF. The build up to the HHH/Orton was excellent and a lot of people view the match as a stinker but I do think a lot of that has to do with the fact the crowd were flat after the HHH/Taker match. I remember an interview with HHH where he said just before the match someone said to him backstage 'good luck following that'. The match wasn't 'that' bad.

It was the same thing for me watching Punk v Jericho after the End of an Era match at WM28. You just cant follow a match like that.

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 01 Aug 2013, 6:45 pm

I feel like that same thing happened at 29, especially in the audience. Everyone was pumped for Punk/Taker, but it drained the life out of the HHH/Brock.

Surprised so many people are against WM 29 main event. The match was ok, the intrigue was there far more than many others and it made sense too.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu 01 Aug 2013, 6:54 pm

I was the complete opposite, I wasn't interested in Punk/Taker at all, I found it impossible to buy into the feud, CM Punk was buried in the lead up to the feud after the hottest streak of his career, then the whole angle became about Paul Bearer, there was absolutely no tiny part of me who thought this year might be the year, I dont even think Punk came close to convincing me during the match, thats not a slight on Punk though, thats down to how stupid the feud was and the timing of it and Punks 'form' leading into Mania.

Brock/HHH for me was the best match of the night, something I never thought id say

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Thu 01 Aug 2013, 7:15 pm

Just realised looking down the list how few WM main event matches I actually enjoy

Don't enjoy: 2, 4, 7, 8, 9, 11, 12, 13, 21, 27, 28, 29

Appreciate Historical Significance but not great matches: 1, 3 & 6

Decent matches but underwhelming with their place on the care: 18 & 25

So that's 17 out of 29 where I have reservations about the main event, dunno if that says more about me or the matches that were there

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down