The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Table pointing system

4 posters

Go down

Table pointing system Empty Table pointing system

Post by international197 Sat 24 Aug 2013, 3:37 pm

I suggest that rugby union abolishes bonus points; losing bonus points and winning bonus points. I think 2 points for a win (rather than 4), 1 for a draw (rather than 2), and then points difference should determine the 'shape' of rugby tables, whether group or league, Rugby World Cup, Heineken Cup, LV Cup, Super 15, Rabo Direct Pro12, Guinness Premiership, French Top 14, and lower division rugby.

I don't like to see a victorious team disappointed because they have 'only' scored 3 tries and a losing team happy because they have lost by 7 points.

international197

Back to top Go down

Table pointing system Empty Re: Table pointing system

Post by Brendan Tue 27 Aug 2013, 5:12 pm

With the variable size of rugby match scores you can't give people the same points as winning/losing by 1/100 points.
Are you also sugesting that IRB ranks should only have points for win lose or draw and disregard the size of the win.

I would not mind seeing the T14 rules come in where you must outscore by x number of tries.

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 27 Aug 2013, 6:26 pm

Brendan wrote:With the variable size of rugby match scores you can't give people the same points as winning/losing by 1/100 points.
Are you also sugesting that IRB ranks should only have points for win lose or draw and disregard the size of the win.

I would not mind seeing the T14 rules come in where you must outscore by x number of tries.
This

If bonus points are used it should be for scoring 3 tries more than the opposition. I'm not a big believer that it makes teams play more 'excitingly' but I see no problem having added factors. Although I suppose it depends if you think someone who wins all their games should be behind someone who didn't but got bonus points. If there are playoffs it's not important. But I don't like it for determining straight winners (e.g. 6N)

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Tue 27 Aug 2013, 7:50 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:
Brendan wrote:With the variable size of rugby match scores you can't give people the same points as winning/losing by 1/100 points.
Are you also suggesting that IRB ranks should only have points for win lose or draw and disregard the size of the win.

This

If bonus points are used it should be for scoring 3 tries more than the opposition. I'm not a big believer that it makes teams play more 'excitingly' but I see no problem having added factors. Although I suppose it depends if you think someone who wins all their games should be behind someone who didn't but got bonus points. If there are playoffs it's not important. But I don't like it for determining straight winners (e.g. 6N)
I mostly agree. Certainly 1TBP for being >2 tries ahead after scoring four. I don't see much benefit from a LBP for being a score away - maybe <4?

No competition not played on a home/away basis deserves BPs.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down