The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+30
golfermartin
Y I Man
barragan
puligny
SpacemanSpiff
dynamark
incontinentia
navyblueshorts
Roller_Coaster
Bob_the_Job
raycastleunited
hend085
Shotrock
Plunky
gaelgowfer
kwinigolfer
Davie
1GrumpyGolfer
SmithersJones
goldwolf
MontysMerkin
westisbest
pedro
super_realist
McLaren
beninho
BlueCoverman
mystiroakey
MustPuttBetter
JAS
34 posters

Page 8 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 8 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by JAS Thu 26 Sep 2013, 8:41 pm

First topic message reminder :

super_realist wrote:Well done Jas, I've done it a few times and have applied too. Not heard back yet though.
I did it in 2008 Super and was disappointed not to break 4 hours (I ran Glasgow 3 times in the mid 80s with a PB of 2.52) Huge difference in running marathons from early to mid 20's and late 40's/early 50's though. I said in 2008 that I had one more left and it WOULD be sub 4 hours!! I've applied 3 times without success since but I'm in this time.

BlueCoverman wrote:Nice one JAS...trust all that training won't interfere with the golf schedule too much!
In reality and coupled with the Captaincy it probably will knock my game backwards a bit. C'est la vie :-/. Ideally the day I'd want to be doing my last long training run is the day of the Captains drive in.

kwinigolfer wrote:Didn't Kirkygolfer run in it - think some of us helped him raise money?
I'm sure somebody from the boards did Kwini, cant remember the name though.

Last edited by JAS on Thu 26 Sep 2013, 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

JAS

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 8 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by Davie Fri 18 Oct 2013, 2:38 pm

Hearing about Murray is going to get as tiresome as hearing about 1966

Davie

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 8 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Fri 18 Oct 2013, 2:42 pm

I was out of the country Gael but watched it from my Californian hotel room. And as a keen tennis fan I was thrilled with the win. Even had a tear or two and a spine tingling sensation, but a Knighthood would be far too early as he admits himself.
There are still a lot of skills in Running and Cycling. They are just far more subtle.
He's going to be a Knight at some point without question (providing fat Salmond doesn't get his wicked way) and as the best grass court player he's probably going to win a few more Wimbledons. What would you give him then? Freedom of The Moon?

He'd be too embarrassed to receive one at this stage anyway.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 18 Oct 2013, 3:01 pm

Kelly Holmes set the precedent on athletes getting knighted for individual competitions. Ans she was also knighted before she retired. Can't have complaints with adlington if ok with Holmes. In fact adlington had a better career.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Fri 18 Oct 2013, 3:02 pm

super_realist wrote:I was out of the country Gael but watched it from my Californian hotel room. And as a keen tennis fan I was thrilled with the win. Even had a tear or two and a spine tingling sensation, but a Knighthood would be far too early as he admits himself.
There are still a lot of skills in Running and Cycling. They are just far more subtle.
He's going to be a Knight at some point without question (providing fat Salmond doesn't get his wicked way) and as the best grass court player he's probably going to win a few more Wimbledons. What would you give him then? Freedom of The Moon?

Strewth!  I didn't say running and cycling were lacking in skills which is what you seem to be implying.  I agee with you that knighthoods should be awarded later in life but only if they have been given for the right reasons such as giving freely a service which benefits society and certainly not to paid professional sportsmen!  However, now that it seems to be accepted that professional sportsmen qualify for such honours, I just think that Murray's award compared to say, Mo Farah or Chris Hoy was more slight than honour.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Fri 18 Oct 2013, 3:19 pm

I've wondered this before - does the fact that no Brit had won Wimbledon in 77 years make Murray's achievement of winning it any greater? I don't think so.
Flipped on it's head, if Federer, Nadal etc were British but of the same quality, would that make Murray's win any less impressive?
Surely the Brit thing is just circumstance. It's doesn't make winning the tournament any more or less impressive. Does it?
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 18 Oct 2013, 3:24 pm

US Open golf + PGA Championship = MBE.
Olympic Gold + Olympic Silver + Wimbledon Championship + US Open Tennis = OBE.

By that measure, the Duke of Dunblane's OBE is not far off.

The jingoistic clamour for gongs for Olympians seems way ott, though some recognition clearly appropriate.

Perhaps Rory and Andy have just got their starters-for-ten and there's more to come if they have more to give.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 18 Oct 2013, 3:35 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:US Open golf + PGA Championship = MBE.
Olympic Gold + Olympic Silver + Wimbledon Championship + US Open Tennis = OBE.

By that measure, the Duke of Dunblane's OBE is not far off.

The jingoistic clamour for gongs for Olympians seems way ott, though some recognition clearly appropriate.

Perhaps Rory and Andy have just got their starters-for-ten and there's more to come if they have more to give.
the two olympic medals dont actually mean anything in tennis- and comparing it to a golfer that can't get them anyway is stupid.,

However Rmac did get to no.1 and was a valid no.1 even if it didn't last that long!!

and the whole thing is nonsense tbh anyway

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 18 Oct 2013, 3:55 pm

^sorry kiwini that probably came off a bit Out of order and I get your point.

But now the more i think about it the more i think the whole thing is a bit stupid.

Commander of the empire, member of the empire, knight of whatever!!

Why dont we just give our sportsmen sporting achievement medals each year - if they do well they get one, if they don't they dont and be done with all this

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 18 Oct 2013, 4:00 pm

All good mysti,
The whole process has become devalued over the years regardless of individual quirks. Think we all agree on that.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Fri 18 Oct 2013, 4:02 pm

A polite golf clap should suffice.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 18 Oct 2013, 5:20 pm

gaelgowfer wrote:
super_realist wrote:I was out of the country Gael but watched it from my Californian hotel room. And as a keen tennis fan I was thrilled with the win. Even had a tear or two and a spine tingling sensation, but a Knighthood would be far too early as he admits himself.

Strewth!  I didn't say running and cycling were lacking in skills which is what you seem to be implying.  I agee with you that knighthoods should be awarded later in life but only if they have been given for the right reasons such as giving freely a service which benefits society and certainly not to paid professional sportsmen!  However, now that it seems to be accepted that professional sportsmen qualify for such honours, I just think that Murray's award compared to say, Mo Farah or Chris Hoy was more slight than honour.
I think the issue is that Hoy and Farah have dominated their disciplines in their sport.
Murray has won Wimbledon and US Open in an era when his direct competition have at least 3 times as many majors as him and in some cases, 9 times as many.
I'm not belittling the effect it has had on the nation, and he's a dead cert to be Sports Personality of the Year, but a Knighthood is a little over the top at this precise moment.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat 19 Oct 2013, 2:09 am

We all know - especially Jas - how easy it is to crumble under the pressure of having a card in hand on a Saturday morning.  Imagine if you were the face of a countries olympics like Jessica Ennis or carried the hopes of a nations tennis fans like Murray?

I don't really care about the honours system and would personally feel no gratification in being recognised by the head of a church, but if they must be handed out then why not to someone like Ennis?

Under the most extreme pressure she put in a flawless sporting performance.  In fact her olympic gold is one of the greatest sporting achievements ever considering the public focus and pressure on her.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 19 Oct 2013, 8:07 am

And she is a good looking girl!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 19 Oct 2013, 8:28 am

McLaren wrote:We all know - especially Jas - how easy it is to crumble under the pressure of having a card in hand on a Saturday morning.  Imagine if you were the face of a countries olympics like Jessica Ennis or carried the hopes of a nations tennis fans like Murray?

I don't really care about the honours system and would personally feel no gratification in being recognised by the head of a church, but if they must be handed out then why not to someone like Ennis?

Under the most extreme pressure she put in a flawless sporting performance.  In fact her olympic gold is one of the greatest sporting achievements ever considering the public focus and pressure on her.

I don't buy into the public pressure nonsense. Sportspeople are inherently selfish people. They have to be, if there is pressure on them is purely self inflicted and I sincerely doubt that Murray and Ennis were feeling the expectation of Bob from Arbroath bearing down upon them.

Agree though about the honours system and the Queen being the head of the Church. I think I'd turn it down too.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 21 Oct 2013, 8:39 pm

What a goal for Fulham!
Edit: What a second goal for Fulham - didn't know Sidwell had it in him.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 22 Oct 2013, 12:24 am

Wozza winning a tournament?!!! Maybe Rory will soon do so as well - at least if he keeps playing Korean Open type events.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 22 Oct 2013, 8:04 am

Maybe she's got her mind on her 'work' now...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 22 Oct 2013, 9:23 am

For the runners amongst you (the non runners will probably think this is bonkers) have any of you gone for a gait assessment and custom fitting for running shoes?. I'm prone to niggly calf injuries and do wonder if I've not chosen the correct running shoes in the past. Any thoughts?

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 22 Oct 2013, 10:09 am

worth doing if you're not a neutral footstriker JAS.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Tue 22 Oct 2013, 11:05 am

The % of people with a neutral foot strike will be less than the % of people for whom off the shelf golf bats fit perfectly.

I'm not a runner and not been able to without a lot of pain for years but my tiny knowledge indicates the impact damage up through the joints and spine is enough with the correct shoes, so to compound it with possibly wearing unsuitable ones seems a folly if you enjoy going out frequently. Especially with fitting/gait analysis so freely available and cheap (I believe) these days.

Not a bonkers idea at all, would strongly advise getting it done.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Tue 22 Oct 2013, 12:43 pm

JAS wrote:For the runners amongst you (the non runners will probably think this is bonkers) have any of you gone for a gait assessment and custom fitting for running shoes?. I'm prone to niggly calf injuries and do wonder if I've not chosen the correct running shoes in the past. Any thoughts?
A visit to the chiropodist might be the solution.  You might just need a set of custom-made insoles which he'd be able to provide you with.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 22 Oct 2013, 12:47 pm

Roller_Coaster wrote:The % of people with a neutral foot strike will be less than the % of people for whom off the shelf golf bats fit perfectly.

I'm not a runner and not been able to without a lot of pain for years but my tiny knowledge indicates the impact damage up through the joints and spine is enough with the correct shoes, so to compound it with possibly wearing unsuitable ones seems a folly if you enjoy going out frequently. Especially with fitting/gait analysis so freely available and cheap (I believe) these days.

Not a bonkers idea at all, would strongly advise getting it done.
I'm neutral footstrike pretty much and have found that off the shelf regular shafts fit me fine.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Tue 22 Oct 2013, 12:52 pm

Ahh to be so average....
Wink 
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 22 Oct 2013, 1:52 pm

Super

I now run barefoot, it just feels so natural and improves your stride so much.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Tue 22 Oct 2013, 2:01 pm

I have a mate who has tried both barefoot and also no heelstrike (ie just on balls). Obviously barefoot is the natural way and so the ground will mitigate impact damage (if on natural ground rather than roads) so I can understand that one.

I did struggle with the no heelstrike theory though? What's that supposed to be all about, I don't think it's natural and would have thought the pressure on the tarsals/metatarsals would be more than should be?

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 22 Oct 2013, 2:07 pm

McLaren wrote:Super

With no shoes?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Tue 22 Oct 2013, 2:24 pm

super_realist wrote:
McLaren wrote:Super

With no shoes?
laughing 
Doh Doh Doh Doh Doh Doh Doh Doh Doh Doh Doh Doh Doh 
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 22 Oct 2013, 2:30 pm

Well, there is a shoe manufacturer called Barefoot, that involves basically a skin which goes over your foot, like a hobbit shoe.
So stick it up your arse.

http://www.vivobarefoot.com/uk/

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Tue 22 Oct 2013, 2:37 pm

I shall do so in the nude.

With no clothes on.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 22 Oct 2013, 2:46 pm

The calf strains I'm prone to picking up generally come when I've overstepped the mark (either speed endurance or general overtraining). Obviously at speed the impact is greater and so would be more expected but I don't think it's solely impact although it must be a factor, I think fatigue and therefore an inability to maintain good form plays quite a big part. So if its a combination of impact and fatigue then reducing the effect of impact with correctly fitted shoes will help.

A Chiropodist visit would probably be a good idea as well Gael

Managed 6.7 miles in my old shoes yesterday without any ill effects so my training is back on track but as I ramp up the mileage I think my old shoes are a ticking time bomb.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 22 Oct 2013, 2:50 pm

I remember when I ran marathons in the mid 80s I used to do some barefoot training sessions on the beach (between ankle and knee depth in the water)...Good form of resistance training and much reduced impact on the footfall. Alas I'm bloody miles and miles from the nearest beach these days

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 22 Oct 2013, 4:22 pm

Roller_Coaster wrote:I have a mate who has tried both barefoot and also no heelstrike (ie just on balls). Obviously barefoot is the natural way and so the ground will mitigate impact damage (if on natural ground rather than roads) so I can understand that one.

I did struggle with the no heelstrike theory though? What's that supposed to be all about, I don't think it's natural and would have thought the pressure on the tarsals/metatarsals would be more than should be?
That 'no heelstrike' idea is really dumb. If your mate wants to over-develop/over-stress his calves, that's about as good a way to go about it as he could possibly imagine. I've seen at least one person who has issues with calf over-development affecting their normal mobility for precisely that reason.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 22 Oct 2013, 4:32 pm

Fast running is done mostly on the balls of your feet.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 22 Oct 2013, 4:48 pm

I'm not talking about fast running. I know that. I thought people were talking about jogging/distance running as part of a training programme???
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Tue 22 Oct 2013, 5:28 pm

I have just spent 18 months 'recovering'from plantar facistis caused by too much golf over a short period in old worn shoes and a few days really hard on your feet graft.Extremely painful and not a lot you can do to speed up recovery.So the morale is always wear good shoes with good support and stop if it hurts!

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Tue 22 Oct 2013, 7:13 pm

Policeman's Foot!

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 23 Oct 2013, 7:46 am

Isn't Roy Keane an absolute moron?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed 23 Oct 2013, 8:55 am

super_realist wrote:Isn't Roy Keane an absolute moron?
For expecting to come out on top in a war of words with Fergie? eh...yes

How much of it is media Poopie stirring tho?

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed 23 Oct 2013, 9:00 am

Here's a thought provoking one about wealth distribution, despite my upbringing I grew out of the ideal that Socialism could work long time ago but listening to this it's clear that the pendulum has swung far far too far the other way.

http://www.utrend.tv/v/9-out-of-10-americans-are-completely-wrong-about-this-mind-blowing-fact/

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 23 Oct 2013, 9:04 am

JAS wrote:
super_realist wrote:Isn't Roy Keane an absolute moron?
For expecting to come out on top in a war of words with Fergie? eh...yes

How much of it is media Poopie stirring tho?
I was thinking more of his hypocrisy actually in regard to his "loyalty" quote, considering his lack of loyalty to ROI and publicly slating players in his book.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 23 Oct 2013, 9:07 am

JAS wrote:Here's a thought provoking one about wealth distribution, despite my upbringing I grew out of the ideal that Socialism could work long time ago but listening to this it's clear that the pendulum has swung far far too far the other way.

http://www.utrend.tv/v/9-out-of-10-americans-are-completely-wrong-about-this-mind-blowing-fact/
THe vast majority of wealth has always been generated by a very small proportion of the population.
Same in the UK, and a good example as to why Scotland going it alone won't work.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 23 Oct 2013, 9:38 am

super_realist wrote:
JAS wrote:Here's a thought provoking one about wealth distribution, despite my upbringing I grew out of the ideal that Socialism could work long time ago but listening to this it's clear that the pendulum has swung far far too far the other way.

THe vast majority of wealth has always been generated by a very small proportion of the population.
Same in the UK, and a good example as to why Scotland going it alone won't work.
I'm not sure JAS' link is wealth generation, it's talking about wealth, pure and simple.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 23 Oct 2013, 9:42 am

Still the same though, most wealth is held by a small number of people.
I'm not sure that is surprising.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 23 Oct 2013, 9:55 am

Jas

So, you are coming round to my way of thinking?

Super

Not sure where you are going when you say the vast majority of wealth is created by the few, but do you not think almost everyone would want to be part of that few if the opportunity was available to them?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 23 Oct 2013, 9:58 am

Mac, I'm merely saying that in a capitalist system it's pretty normal for a small number of people to have and generate the vast majority of wealth.
THis video is just showing us what we already knew.

Of course I'm sure people would like to be part of it, however, it's a bit like if you ask people if they are "above average", obviously not everyone can be.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 23 Oct 2013, 10:12 am

Super

I may have been presumptuous, but I thought you were indicating that is was ok for a small proportion of people to have the vast majority of the wealth, because they deserved that wealth having been the people who created it. Although try making vast amounts of money without people to abuse and see how far you get.

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 23 Oct 2013, 10:13 am

Americas wealth distribution is going the way of an oil rich middle eastern principality!

For a country that is supposedly so 'free' and so fair and so 'equal opportunity' and so 'land of the opportunity'

They dont half treat their poor like dirt!!

The us's top 1% incorporates 40% of its wealth- only 40 years ago that figure was around 10% that incorporated 40% of the wealth.

I have no problem with a capitalist system - but if you dont prop that up with adequate social measures then you will never get as many entrepreneurs coming out of the 'poor' that are the GREATER population.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 23 Oct 2013, 10:19 am

McLaren wrote: Super

I may have been presumptuous, but I thought you were indicating that is was ok for a small proportion of people to have the vast majority of the wealth, because they deserved that wealth having been the people who created it.  Although try making vast amounts of money without people to abuse and see how far you get.

I didn't say that, I merely stated that most wealth is held by a few. In many cases, wealthy people deserve to be wealthy, and there is no compunction or moral duty to distribute it to those who have less.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Wed 23 Oct 2013, 10:24 am

That's capitalism for you on one extreme. Technological progress/uneven distribution of wealth/risk & reward. The extreme isn't a nice place. The ideal is ruined by human nature.

Socialism on the other extreme. Even distribution of wealth/no relative reward/no appetite for risk/little technological progress. The extreme isn't a nice place. The ideal is ruined by human nature.

Cyclical between the two over time. The majority of countries that were strongly socialist decided they didn't like it and threw it out. I expect the same will happen at some point in the future with the capitalist leaning nations. Maybe not imminently, but it will.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 23 Oct 2013, 10:24 am

And what truly cracks me up about america is how many of them are still so patriotic to this system that is killing there poor to early!

I can imagine some hillbilly chewing on a beaver tale with a gammy leg that is infecting his whole body saying "Y'all we dont need no obama care that goes against our right of freedom, why should i be forced to pay for my mental health, all i want is my right to own a gun and pray to my sky wizard in me church"

BUT I do think Obamacare is seriously flawed and can not work.. The population will be forced to get insurance, rather than an NI system that we have over here. The concern with that system is that it doesn't matter if you are poor or rich you will pay insurance based on individual circumstance(health) over earnings!!

so someone out of work may have to pay 5 times that of a multi millionaire who is in rude health.

America is trying but it can't quite get the mix of socialism and capitalism right!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 20  Next