The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+30
golfermartin
Y I Man
barragan
puligny
SpacemanSpiff
dynamark
incontinentia
navyblueshorts
Roller_Coaster
Bob_the_Job
raycastleunited
hend085
Shotrock
Plunky
gaelgowfer
kwinigolfer
Davie
1GrumpyGolfer
SmithersJones
goldwolf
MontysMerkin
westisbest
pedro
super_realist
McLaren
beninho
BlueCoverman
mystiroakey
MustPuttBetter
JAS
34 posters

Page 12 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 12 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by JAS Thu 26 Sep 2013, 8:41 pm

First topic message reminder :

super_realist wrote:Well done Jas, I've done it a few times and have applied too. Not heard back yet though.
I did it in 2008 Super and was disappointed not to break 4 hours (I ran Glasgow 3 times in the mid 80s with a PB of 2.52) Huge difference in running marathons from early to mid 20's and late 40's/early 50's though. I said in 2008 that I had one more left and it WOULD be sub 4 hours!! I've applied 3 times without success since but I'm in this time.

BlueCoverman wrote:Nice one JAS...trust all that training won't interfere with the golf schedule too much!
In reality and coupled with the Captaincy it probably will knock my game backwards a bit. C'est la vie :-/. Ideally the day I'd want to be doing my last long training run is the day of the Captains drive in.

kwinigolfer wrote:Didn't Kirkygolfer run in it - think some of us helped him raise money?
I'm sure somebody from the boards did Kwini, cant remember the name though.

Last edited by JAS on Thu 26 Sep 2013, 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

JAS

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 12 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Mon 11 Nov 2013, 12:42 pm

Don't forget Mac coming out.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 12 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by barragan Mon 11 Nov 2013, 12:53 pm

1GrumpyGolfer wrote:Best ask Ban, Bob. He had the special post and he wasted it talking about a driver Laugh
Oi, its a special driver, i'll probably still be singing its praises in another 100,000 posts....Challenge accepted monkey

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon 11 Nov 2013, 1:34 pm

Bubbly Congratulations on the milestone people, I look forward to being around for the millionth post!

I've only been on this less than 2 years but so far the most memorable moments for me have been:
-Faderick-gate, and the shocking revelations outlined by mclaren which read like the final chapter from a Hercule Poirot novel!
-Super having to praise Tiger for a week kiss

Anyone think of anything else?
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Mon 11 Nov 2013, 1:53 pm

Just wanted to have a rant about the latest G4S fiasco, where a couple of them had falsified documents regarding asylum seekers and detainees at a jail near gatwick. G4S are in the shyte with every contract they've won from the government. They miss agreed targets on prisons, prisoners, rip off the exchequer for millions on tagging and of course the olympic fiasco.

Instead of reviling companies like this, maybe the MP's should get a grip of the tools that actually think its cheaper to sub - out all these contracts as it keeps costs off the books. Look at the robber woman who took wages of £7m in year one of the employment contract she got off the government. She took millions from the government and didn't actually find anyone any work. Last week we learn that the aircraft carrier contract had doubled in price and we haven't had one delivered yet. The man sausage up on the east coast line which cost us tax payers millions and virgin carried on with it. These things are too numerous to mention, although I have been involved in one deal whereby my company took a profit (Guaranteed) of £350k every year with a clause written in for a guaranteed 5% uplift each year.(Over £600k now) We did this deal 12-years ago and its till in place. The contract is management fee plus all costs, so you can imagine how much the taxpayer is forking out. Lets not discuss the billions thrown at IT integration across all parts of government.

Wouldn't it be cheaper putting these idiots out of work and saving the country billions every year so that cuts dont actually hurt as much?

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Mon 11 Nov 2013, 2:04 pm

incontinentia wrote:Bubbly Congratulations on the milestone people, I look forward to being around for the millionth post!

I've only been on this less than 2 years but so far the most memorable moments for me have been:
-Faderick-gate, and the shocking revelations outlined by mclaren which read like the final chapter from a Hercule Poirot novel!
-Super having to praise Tiger for a week kiss

Anyone think of anything else?

your admission about calling the BBC over "luck of the irish" is up their for me! laughing 

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 11 Nov 2013, 2:40 pm

Doc wrote:Just wanted to have a rant about the latest G4S fiasco, where a couple of them had falsified documents regarding asylum seekers and detainees at a jail near gatwick. G4S are in the shyte with every contract they've won from the government. They miss agreed targets on prisons, prisoners, rip off the exchequer for millions on tagging and of course the olympic fiasco.

Instead of reviling companies like this, maybe the MP's should get a grip of the tools that actually think its cheaper to sub - out all these contracts as it keeps costs off the books. Look at the robber woman who took wages of £7m in year one of the employment contract she got off the government. She took millions from the government and didn't actually find anyone any work. Last week we learn that the aircraft carrier contract had doubled in price and we haven't had one delivered yet. The man sausage up on the east coast line which cost us tax payers millions and virgin carried on with it. These things are too numerous to mention, although I have been involved in one deal whereby my company took a profit (Guaranteed) of £350k every year with a clause written in for a guaranteed 5% uplift each year.(Over £600k now) We did this deal 12-years ago and its till in place. The contract is management fee plus all costs, so you can imagine how much the taxpayer is forking out. Lets not discuss the billions thrown at IT integration across all parts of government.

Wouldn't it be cheaper putting these idiots out of work and saving the country billions every year so that cuts dont actually hurt as much?
Good rant that, Doc. With you all the way but much more fun to revile the companies and the MPs involved.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 11 Nov 2013, 3:00 pm

They'll always be amateurs compared to Dick Cheney and Halliburton.

After all, they started a war, arguably three, and named themselves primary contractor. For just about everything.

Still hope BP can make them accountable for their negligence in the "Gulf" spill.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Mon 11 Nov 2013, 4:52 pm

Excellent rant Doc.  notworthy
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Tue 12 Nov 2013, 7:49 am

my firm use consultants its the perfect way to avoid taking any responsibility.all sorts of problems with a contract I look after and the answer is the consultant.Lots of vague areas and the answer is well its a partnership
Serco and G4S in aall sorts of bother over tagging charges for non existant persons directors could find themselves in their own prison now that could be interesting, bit hard to believe that no one checked the invoices.
Good rant has to be good for you

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Tue 12 Nov 2013, 11:47 am

Wheres yer money being spunked this year?
http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2013/11/12/hp_charges_every_briton_21_pounds/
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Tue 12 Nov 2013, 11:59 am

Monty good find mate. It just makes you want to emigrate!!! The words 'open', 'democracy' are lies these faceless jerks can just do whatever they want, and the madarins and ministers who have no experience of the real world or managing people, projects or businesses screw everything up. The lot of them should be thrown out of office and the new guys should then get baseball bats and shotguns and clean up the whole edifice.

Oh for communism Rolling Eyes

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Tue 12 Nov 2013, 12:11 pm

I think at the bottom of all the trouble is people. Be it ineffective management, healthcare workers, IT bods, gazzillionaires, whatever, the whole lot seems to be aimed at the lowest common denominator. Wheres your integrity, wheres your backbone, where are you? where f@ckin are you.... [slides down drunk trying to fondle Delia Smith vomit ]
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 12 Nov 2013, 4:45 pm

Sometimes, 'awe' is exactly the right word:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-24913141

That 'pale blue dot':

Saturn, in all its glory:
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue 12 Nov 2013, 5:13 pm

makes you ponder the mystery of God's creation Run 
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 12 Nov 2013, 6:45 pm

incontinentia wrote:makes you ponder the mystery of God's creation Run 
Thank goodness you put the Run in.

Such beliefs though are another bat to beat the Irish with.

Last edited by super_realist on Tue 12 Nov 2013, 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 12 Nov 2013, 7:03 pm

Even the old pope said that the Genesis creation story was not to be taken literally. Maybe that news didn't reach Ireland yet.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 12 Nov 2013, 7:07 pm

pedro wrote:Even the old pope said that the Genesis creation story was not to be taken literally. Maybe that news didn't reach Ireland yet.
It shouldn't even be taken for toilet paper Pedro.

Probably one of the worst books ever written.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue 12 Nov 2013, 7:33 pm

I finished reading the dictionary the other day. Turns out the zebra did it drumroll 
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 12 Nov 2013, 8:18 pm

You'd certainly learn a lot more reading a page of the dictionary every night.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 12 Nov 2013, 9:33 pm

But if you work within marketing I'm sure you could learn a lot reading about JC.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Tue 12 Nov 2013, 9:37 pm

super_realist wrote:You'd certainly learn a lot more reading a page of the dictionary every night.
Not got much of a story, but at least it explains itself as it goes along.........

I'll get my coat!
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 13 Nov 2013, 2:48 pm

Haven't heard from DoonTheWater for quite a while and now we know why:

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golftalkcentral/golfer-survives-croc-attack-receives-200-stitches/

Hope you're OK Doon . . . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 13 Nov 2013, 3:31 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Haven't heard from DoonTheWater for quite a while and now we know why:

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golftalkcentral/golfer-survives-croc-attack-receives-200-stitches/

Hope you're OK Doon . . . . . . . .
I sounds a bit like the Tiger Woods firehydrant incident. But that was a 7-iron?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 13 Nov 2013, 5:41 pm

Watching the trilby tour on sky. Handicappers of under 10 and it they can at times plays as Poopie as me! Makes me feel much better.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 13 Nov 2013, 8:52 pm

Doon didn't like anyone who disagreed with him. He got disillusioned with this place for that reason and came over to the other place. When he didn't get the reverence he apparently thought he deserved there either, he left there too

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 13 Nov 2013, 11:22 pm

I remember doon fondly davie, are you sure it wasn't you that had a problem with him? Its not like you bear grudges or ever get a little petty, so I guess it will just have been a simple clash of personalities.

A shame he could chewed on by a crock.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Thu 14 Nov 2013, 2:48 am

For what it's worth, I found Doon to be many of the things about golf I dislike. Whilst clearly knowledgable I remember him once saying someone couldn't have an opinion (think it might have been Davie) because he was a 'high handicapper'. I'm not talking swing advice, just an opinion on golf, something to do with a club or something. Can't stand that sort of golf snobbery
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 14 Nov 2013, 2:54 am

If anyone has the time please sign this petition which asks the government to enforce and implement a National Strategy and Action Plan to eliminate FGM in the UK.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/52740

Regardless of this being my fake offence, surely super will at least sign it as FGM is practiced by religious nutters.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 14 Nov 2013, 3:31 am

I always enjoyed Doon, hope he returns hail and hearty.

But then I like Davie and MPB so no accounting for taste.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 14 Nov 2013, 5:41 am

navyblueshorts wrote:Sometimes, 'awe' is exactly the right word:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-24913141

That 'pale blue dot':

Saturn, in all its glory:
If you like astro pics then you should follow this site on twitter;

https://twitter.com/apod

or check out the website http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

They provide an explanation of the pictures as well.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu 14 Nov 2013, 5:47 am

MustPuttBetter wrote:For what it's worth, I found Doon to be many of the things about golf I dislike. Whilst clearly knowledgable I remember him once saying someone couldn't have an opinion (think it might have been Davie) because he was a 'high handicapper'. I'm not talking swing advice, just an opinion on golf, something to do with a club or something. Can't stand that sort of golf snobbery
Actually MPB I think that was Gael but Doon backed her up. He got upset on the other place because the admins wouldn't censor posts HE considered out of order so left there too. Seems it wasn't just me he couldn't get along with

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Thu 14 Nov 2013, 9:16 am

Fair enough
That said, he is very welcome back as far as i'm concerned (i'm sure he cares........). The more the merrier.

Kwini Hug
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 14 Nov 2013, 9:26 am

Speaking of absent friends/worthy adversaries. I wish Diggers would come back. Not sure if he got banned or just lost interest but be good to see him back

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Thu 14 Nov 2013, 9:35 am

Kwini, Doon and drumroll  super_realist - purely for purposes of making him play the Old Course!thumbsup

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Thu 14 Nov 2013, 9:43 am

s_r loves TOC really, he's just executing his master plan to dissuade as many people as possible from descending on his beloved st.a's.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Thu 14 Nov 2013, 9:46 am

Aaaargh!  Just realised barragan, posted here instead of lorus's thread.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Thu 14 Nov 2013, 9:52 am

just a sign of.....Run 

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Thu 14 Nov 2013, 10:02 am

barragan wrote:just a sign of.....Run 
raspberry

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Thu 14 Nov 2013, 10:02 am

super_realist wrote:Speaking of absent friends/worthy adversaries. I wish Diggers would come back. Not sure if he got banned or just lost interest but be good to see him back
Agree, not really sure why he disappeared
Also would be good to have D4S back but i doubt that's gonig to happen
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 14 Nov 2013, 10:29 am

barragan wrote:s_r loves TOC really, he's just executing his master plan to dissuade as many people as possible from descending on his beloved st.a's.
I like TOC, it's just not good enough for a major, especially one every five years.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 14 Nov 2013, 11:00 am

It produces the best winners IMO.

Top venue and the home of golf.

Could do with a few more improvements though

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 14 Nov 2013, 12:31 pm

mystiroakey wrote:It produces the best winners IMO.

Top venue and the home of golf.

Could do with a few more improvements though
Terrible spectating venue, too many boring holes, too easy, no challenging closing holes and no scope for drama.

Hence, worst Open venue on the rota.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 14 Nov 2013, 12:38 pm

The last hole is great scope for drama

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 14 Nov 2013, 12:42 pm

Are you joking? Rocca made a right mess of his shot, nothing to do with the hole. That's the only bit of drama in FOUR visits there not including any of the last 10 Dunhills which have never had a final hole swing. Compare that to Birkdale, Carnoustie or Muirfield.
I've driven that green and birdied it more than I have on any other hole on that course.

It's basically like having the FA Cup Final at Turf Moor because of the history.

If the wind doesn't blow someone WILL shoot a 59 sooner or later. It's that easy.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Thu 14 Nov 2013, 1:00 pm

super_realist wrote:Are you joking? Rocca made a right mess of his shot, nothing to do with the hole. That's the only bit of drama in FOUR visits there not including any of the last 10 Dunhills which have never had a final hole swing. Compare that to Birkdale, Carnoustie or Muirfield.
I've driven that green and birdied it more than I have on any other hole on that course.

It's basically like having the FA Cup Final at Turf Moor because of the history.

If the wind doesn't blow someone WILL shoot a 59 sooner or later. It's that easy.

there was a few close calls on the 59 this year at the dunhill. how come nobody has gone lower in the open? can they really trick it up with pin placements or does it actually play harder in the height of summer (ie rock hard underfoot)

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 14 Nov 2013, 1:02 pm

Why wouldnt yoiu birdie it more than others- I f i didn't birdie that hole half the time i played it i would be unhappy!!

I would be looking to eagle the hole mate of forward tees mate!

It still creates drama.

You seem to think hardness = good.

It doesnt . Infact the harder the courses play the worse winners we end up getting(because the winner just ends up being the person that had the lucky tee of times!)

St andrews seems to level the play a bit more

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 14 Nov 2013, 1:04 pm

feick I just worked out that i post more than 1 in 50 posts on this site!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 14 Nov 2013, 1:07 pm

The summer can be ridiculous Hendo. 3 woods over 300 yards. There aren't that many tricky pin positions on the course, and if the wind doesn't blow the course is almost laughably easy and even a westerly breeze doesn't make it hard. We've had club members shoot 64 on it in medals.
The greens are also so true you can look at a 20ft putt and actually be fairly confident of holing it.
Obviously Mac will say different, but it's not a course worthy of a 5 yearly major. Not a chance.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 14 Nov 2013, 1:11 pm

mystiroakey wrote:Why wouldnt yoiu birdie it more than others- I f i didn't birdie that hole half the time i played it i would be unhappy!!

I would be looking to eagle the hole mate of forward tees mate!

It still creates drama.

You seem to think hardness = good.

It doesnt . Infact the harder the courses play the worse winners we end up getting(because the winner just ends up being the person that had the lucky tee of times!)

St andrews seems to level the play a bit more
NOt at all, it doesn't level the field one iota. It routinely produces the lowest Open scores. I'm not saying hardness is good, but in order to create at least the potential for a dramatic finish which people will remember it would be good if there was more scope for a moment of brilliance or scope for an error to cost someone the trophy.
There simply isn't enough imagination or shotmaking required around that course. It's paint by numbers because it's too open, and the greens are way too big and there isn't sufficient protection.

That isn't to say I don't like playing it, but it's without doubt the most boring course on the rota, perhaps along with Hoylake.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 14 Nov 2013, 1:15 pm

Do you have an issue separating level the playing field and good/hard? There is no Comparison there

The open is becoming a joke major. St andrews is one of the only places where we have a decent tourny where the best play well and get involved

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 20  Next