The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+30
golfermartin
Y I Man
barragan
puligny
SpacemanSpiff
dynamark
incontinentia
navyblueshorts
Roller_Coaster
Bob_the_Job
raycastleunited
hend085
Shotrock
Plunky
gaelgowfer
kwinigolfer
Davie
1GrumpyGolfer
SmithersJones
goldwolf
MontysMerkin
westisbest
pedro
super_realist
McLaren
beninho
BlueCoverman
mystiroakey
MustPuttBetter
JAS
34 posters

Page 15 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 15 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by JAS Thu 26 Sep 2013, 8:41 pm

First topic message reminder :

super_realist wrote:Well done Jas, I've done it a few times and have applied too. Not heard back yet though.
I did it in 2008 Super and was disappointed not to break 4 hours (I ran Glasgow 3 times in the mid 80s with a PB of 2.52) Huge difference in running marathons from early to mid 20's and late 40's/early 50's though. I said in 2008 that I had one more left and it WOULD be sub 4 hours!! I've applied 3 times without success since but I'm in this time.

BlueCoverman wrote:Nice one JAS...trust all that training won't interfere with the golf schedule too much!
In reality and coupled with the Captaincy it probably will knock my game backwards a bit. C'est la vie :-/. Ideally the day I'd want to be doing my last long training run is the day of the Captains drive in.

kwinigolfer wrote:Didn't Kirkygolfer run in it - think some of us helped him raise money?
I'm sure somebody from the boards did Kwini, cant remember the name though.

Last edited by JAS on Thu 26 Sep 2013, 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

JAS

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 15 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by mystiroakey Thu 14 Nov 2013, 4:25 pm

super_realist wrote:The best always turn up to majors. Players always believe they can win, why would lower ranked players winning stop them playing.

That's really stupid and I really think you are on the wind up now.
Not in the slightest however Its clear to me your issue with the TOC is due to you hating the place and woods recent wins..

I wont call you stupid but i do understand how your mind operates Wink

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 15 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by mystiroakey Thu 14 Nov 2013, 4:26 pm

super_realist wrote:The best always turn up to majors. Players always believe they can win, why would lower ranked players winning stop them playing.

That's really stupid and I really think you are on the wind up now.
no they dont- Your naive to think so , many have missed out on the open throughout the years. If this trend keeps going at the open less and less will come

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 14 Nov 2013, 4:28 pm

Like who? People have missed the Open because they don't like links, not because "less worthy "players are winning.
And even if it were true that players were missing the open, you haven't provided any evidence it's because "no names" are winning it (like who anyway?)

Your "god of the gaps" argument regarding Nine Chins is completely without basis.
I've given plenty reasons why I think it isn't a good venue for an OPen every five years and it has never involved baldy

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 14 Nov 2013, 4:31 pm

Sr mate I have to get out of this one for now- neither of us are going to back down. I know I am in the minority on here- however I cant work out the problem especially as i have personaly loved so many majors at TOC!

I cant wait for 2015 though... Lol fingers crossed for a good one !!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 14 Nov 2013, 4:33 pm

Depends what you find interesting in a tournament Oakey.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 14 Nov 2013, 4:36 pm

That would be great SR. If you ever told us what you liked or was interested in!!!!

You regulary tell  us you dont even watch sport any more,

you littered the GOAT competition threads yet not once would you ever give an opinion on who or what you liked!

Its allways the negative without any actual substance

Last edited by mystiroakey on Thu 14 Nov 2013, 4:38 pm; edited 2 times in total

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Thu 14 Nov 2013, 4:36 pm

super_realist wrote:
Bob_the_Job wrote:For me a good Open venue should be a tough test of golf, create an exciting finish, be a good venue to attend and look good on TV. The four finishing holes should ideally provide the opportunity to pick up a few shots, but force you to court disaster in doing so.

For me, TOC is strong on a couple of these criteria and weak on others.  Comparatively I don't think it's the best venue around, which makes giving it a disproportionately large share of the rota by holding the Open there every 5 years look like a political, sentimental or commercial decision rather than a pure golfing one.  That said, all the players play the same course so holding it there might diminish the spectacle a little but not the validity of the eventual victor to be a true Open Champion.

However, feel free to carry on arguing at cross purposes.
What is it strong on BOb,

It's a poor spectator venue,
It's not a tough test
Doesn't produce drama
and doesn't court disaster.

The Road Hole is capable of drama and disaster, but you're right it's not a great finishing four holes (18 is really a non-event these days). However, they could move the tee up on 16 and make it a driveable Par 4 risk/reward hole, but they don't - hence "strong" and not "excellent". I do think it looks really good on TV and let's face it, a lot more people watch on TV than attend. When the wind blows it can be a tough test, but not all the time - so again not excellent. There are better links venues and probably some worse ones - so I'd prefer to see it not get preferential treatment and for some other venues to be given a shot, but I'd not want it to disappear from the Open rota totally either.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 14 Nov 2013, 4:39 pm

super_realist wrote:Like who? People have missed the Open because they don't like links, not because "less worthy "players are winning.
And even if it were true that players were missing the open, you haven't provided any evidence it's because "no names" are winning it (like who anyway?)

Your "god of the gaps" argument regarding Nine Chins is completely without basis.
I've given plenty reasons why I think it isn't a good venue for an OPen every five years and it has never involved baldy
Are you arguing again ???

Didn't see you congratulate us for the President cup triumph....An oversight I'm sure..thumbsup

St Andrews is a joke of a course......Might as well just give The open to Tiger everytime it's there........Mile wide fairways.......

Pebble beach now that's a course and Carnoustie.....Make them work for it.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 14 Nov 2013, 4:40 pm

Truss why would anyone care about the Presidents cup!!

You are joking i hope?

and how have you found this place dude!! You have seemingly sniffed out a bit of conflict as it was ending to start it up again. !!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 14 Nov 2013, 4:44 pm

Bob_the_Job wrote:
super_realist wrote:
Bob_the_Job wrote:For me a good Open venue should be a tough test of golf, create an exciting finish, be a good venue to attend and look good on TV. The four finishing holes should ideally provide the opportunity to pick up a few shots, but force you to court disaster in doing so.

For me, TOC is strong on a couple of these criteria and weak on others.  Comparatively I don't think it's the best venue around, which makes giving it a disproportionately large share of the rota by holding the Open there every 5 years look like a political, sentimental or commercial decision rather than a pure golfing one.  That said, all the players play the same course so holding it there might diminish the spectacle a little but not the validity of the eventual victor to be a true Open Champion.

However, feel free to carry on arguing at cross purposes.
What is it strong on BOb,

It's a poor spectator venue,
It's not a tough test
Doesn't produce drama
and doesn't court disaster.

The Road Hole is capable of drama and disaster, but you're right it's not a great finishing four holes (18 is really a non-event these days).  However, they could move the tee up on 16 and make it a driveable Par 4 risk/reward hole, but they don't - hence "strong" and not "excellent".  I do think it looks really good on TV and let's face it, a lot more people watch on TV than attend.  When the wind blows it can be a tough test, but not all the time - so again not excellent.  There are better links venues and probably some worse ones - so I'd prefer to see it not get preferential treatment and for some other venues to be given a shot, but I'd not want it to disappear from the Open rota totally either.
That's probably a fair summation.
17 is my favourite hole on the course, however it's more the position of the hotel which makes it a good hole rather than the actual hole design

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 14 Nov 2013, 4:53 pm

mystiroakey wrote:Truss why would anyone care about the Presidents cup!!

You are joking i hope?

and how have you found this place dude!! You have seemingly sniffed out a bit of conflict as it was ending to start it up again. !!
Mate would it be coming to..If we didn't visit old friends from time to time........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 14 Nov 2013, 4:54 pm

Your welcome truss!!

Very Happy 

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu 14 Nov 2013, 5:22 pm

Mysti,

How many bottles of sunny D have you drunk today?

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 14 Nov 2013, 5:27 pm

None. What makes you say that?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 14 Nov 2013, 5:49 pm

Rhetorical question I take.. Heard that line from Mac many times. Are you sure you are not his sock account?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 15 Nov 2013, 7:47 am

Tasty new irons from TM:

http://www.mygolfspy.com/2014-taylormade-tour-preferred-irons/

Easy to make a blade look nice but very good looking clubs, at least whilst they are new.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 15 Nov 2013, 8:32 am

It is a bit hard to tell given the pictures were taken in the dark.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri 15 Nov 2013, 9:13 am

according to my radio this morning Wozzilroy® has been re-formed. pube head and gum face were spotted canoodling in Dubai.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 15 Nov 2013, 9:17 am

incontinentia wrote:according to my radio this morning Wozzilroy® has been re-formed. pube head and gum face were spotted canoodling in Dubai.
Oh well, both their recent form returns are about to drop like Nine Chins bottom lip.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Fri 15 Nov 2013, 9:30 am

See TM have got "jetspeed" woods in the pipeline and I believe very close to release. Longest woods ever? Shortest ever timeframe between releases even for TM?

2-3 extra yards each release, 3 releases a year. I might give up for a couple of years, that way I'll be able to drive pretty much each hole when I come back. Very Happy

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 15 Nov 2013, 9:33 am

Roller_Coaster wrote:See TM have got "jetspeed" woods in the pipeline and I believe very close to release. Longest woods ever? Shortest ever timeframe between releases even for TM?

2-3 extra yards each release, 3 releases a year. I might give up for a couple of years, that way I'll be able to drive pretty much each hole when I come back. Very Happy
Makes you wonder how bad their first driver must have been doesn't it? Perhaps it got the ball out to the 20 yard mark.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Fri 15 Nov 2013, 9:39 am

To be fair, after a couple of full blown tops have creeped in with my 3 wood over the last month 20 yards would be a bonus

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri 15 Nov 2013, 9:52 am

i wish they would make irons with a sweet spot in the hosel, rather than all this 10 extra yards nonsense
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Fri 15 Nov 2013, 9:59 am

I don't think hosel technology needs to move on. Mine all seem to go a fair distance. Maybe a square hosel to mak the 'king thing go straight though...

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 15 Nov 2013, 5:51 pm

Footballer makes himself look stupid on Twitter number 1000(?) Steven Taylor of Newcastle. Will sportsmen ever learn???

Have other issues on poppy Nazis. Did you see the women on it news who got racist sexist and death threats all because she did not wear a poppy. So ridiculous are some people

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 15 Nov 2013, 10:09 pm

Man 'on way to kill David Cameron' had haul of weapons

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-24960600

BBC News wrote:Irfaq Naz, 34, had a 950,000-volt stun gun, hammers, kitchen knives, a machete and a samurai sword.
Bloody hell, that would have been good.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 16 Nov 2013, 8:12 am

No it wouldn't Mac.
I wouldnt want any islamic nut job able to that to anyone, not even ed milliband.
This guy should be in prison for life.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 16 Nov 2013, 12:28 pm

I am coming to the conclusion that Mac is actually becoming a full on Internet Troll

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sat 16 Nov 2013, 8:19 pm

mystiroakey wrote:I am coming to the conclusion that Mac is actually a full on Internet Troll

There you go Mysti I've fixed your quote for you

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun 17 Nov 2013, 9:32 am

Davie wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:I am coming to the conclusion that Mac is actually a full on Internet Troll

There you go Mysti I've fixed your quote for you
Pretty despicable post Dave.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sun 17 Nov 2013, 10:42 am

Despicable?? Over react much?

I thought your comment about Cameron was pretty despicable and in a different league

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Sun 17 Nov 2013, 5:09 pm

Strewth, that was truly agonizing to watch.  It's not just that Scotland conceded 28 points to the South Africans ... it's that we didnae get any points! steam   As for those first half line-outs - picard

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Sun 17 Nov 2013, 6:33 pm

Don't mention lineouts gael.Cost the English the game yesterday.TBH quite enjoying the R L games bit easier to understand the rules.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sun 17 Nov 2013, 8:19 pm

Ireland were very poor yesterday.

Christ New Zealand will tear us a new one next sunday.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Mon 18 Nov 2013, 1:58 pm

Seems to be a quiet day in V2 golf land today. To ask something new, what are some of you pet hates? One of mine is the price of things with XXX after a number. Example: ₤9,XXX.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Mon 18 Nov 2013, 2:12 pm

9XXX? Never seen that before? Is that a sex shop thing?

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 18 Nov 2013, 2:13 pm

It's short hand for Nine Chins

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Wed 20 Nov 2013, 3:13 pm

THIS TRICK SHOT never gets old
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 21 Nov 2013, 1:36 pm

Bob_the_Job wrote:THIS TRICK SHOT never gets old
He stiffed it.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 21 Nov 2013, 10:50 pm

I'd just like to say that there was FAR too much golf talk on this "ANYTHING GOES" thread last week, I shall be informing the thread creator on Monday (pre-round to unsettle him...obviously) Wink

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 22 Nov 2013, 12:24 am

JAS,
'ope you're 'ailing 'im in 'ayling.
Watch out for my next week's thread for some advice for yr return home.
PS: Best wishes to the d4s fellow.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri 22 Nov 2013, 12:48 am

Lol Kwini 'aylin was last week. He teamed up with Puligny an gave me and my partner a right roasting (mainly Puligny). Monday is North Hants (the Rose back garden) for a birthday of a mate, about 20 of us going and D4S & I are in the same group.

Looking forward to your thread Wink

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 22 Nov 2013, 12:54 am

thumbsup 

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Fri 22 Nov 2013, 12:28 pm

Couple of things really peed me off this week: Firstly EasyJet profits rising in a huge way. Asked why this had happened in a struggling market and economy, CEO says that passengers have taken advantage of booking their bags in on-line, and wanting extra leg room ........ What a bunch of robbing twots. More expensive golf next year folks, and you'll have to pay if you want a urine. Secondly I can't get my head around why the Co-Operative bank can say they are still being ethical. They employ a chairman who turns out to be a kiddy fiddling, drug addict who has zero experience in financial services and has been sacked from being a labour councilor and even sacked for fiddling his expenses at the bank. So we have the situation where the banking scandals and the bent bankers turn out to be better than the latest bent bank which happened to be ethical, and is now owned by hedgefunds

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Fri 22 Nov 2013, 1:33 pm

Doc wrote:Couple of things really peed me off this week: Firstly EasyJet profits rising in a huge way. Asked why this had happened in a struggling market and economy, CEO says that passengers have taken advantage of booking their bags in on-line, and wanting extra leg room ........ What a bunch of robbing twots. More expensive golf next year folks, and you'll have to pay if you want a urine. Secondly I can't get my head around why the Co-Operative bank can say they are still being ethical. They employ a chairman who turns out to be a kiddy fiddling, drug addict who has zero experience in financial services and has been sacked from being a labour councilor and even sacked for fiddling his expenses at the bank. So we have the situation where the banking scandals and the bent bankers turn out to be better than the latest bent bank which happened to be ethical, and is now owned by hedgefunds
Totally agree with you on the Co-op.

But if you don't like easyJet then don't fly with them. It's not like the train companies which have a monopoly on the route. A budget airline offering "extras" is hardly robbing it's just market forces. They make approx £7 profit per seat per flight, up from £4.80 last year. It's a business not a charity.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 22 Nov 2013, 2:07 pm

Doc wrote:Couple of things really peed me off this week: Firstly EasyJet profits rising in a huge way. Asked why this had happened in a struggling market and economy, CEO says that passengers have taken advantage of booking their bags in on-line, and wanting extra leg room ........ What a bunch of robbing twots. More expensive golf next year folks, and you'll have to pay if you want a urine. Secondly I can't get my head around why the Co-Operative bank can say they are still being ethical. They employ a chairman who turns out to be a kiddy fiddling, drug addict who has zero experience in financial services and has been sacked from being a labour councilor and even sacked for fiddling his expenses at the bank. So we have the situation where the banking scandals and the bent bankers turn out to be better than the latest bent bank which happened to be ethical, and is now owned by hedgefunds
Where has this been sourced from?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 22 Nov 2013, 2:13 pm

Much worse than that, he's a Reverend.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 22 Nov 2013, 2:16 pm

Ray, I agree, why is the notion of profit in a capitalist and consumer society is often deemed a bad thing, yet I've no idea why.
Do those who criticise lower their own charges to whatever they do for a living so that a paper boy can afford them? No, of course they don't

We need profit, not least because it keeps us all in a job and keeps our pensions worth something.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Fri 22 Nov 2013, 2:24 pm

super_realist wrote:Ray, I agree, why is the notion of profit in a capitalist and consumer society is often deemed a bad thing, yet I've no idea why.
Do those who criticise lower their own charges to whatever they do for a living so that a paper boy can afford them? No,  of course they don't

We need profit, not least because it keeps us all in a job and keeps our pensions worth something.

It's basically a ponzi scheme, that's the trouble with a profit based economy that isn't a closed loop. As soon as you allow some cash out of the loop, or allow it to settle in very few hands you have to start QE to create more money to start the whole thing again. How can things grow for ever? They can't. People who fall for this are cretinous individuals who don't seem to be able to think very clearly.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 22 Nov 2013, 3:21 pm

Well, go and live in North Korea or Cuba then and see how much better things are there.

We're talking about Easyjet making 7.50 per seat. No need to be Wolfy Smith.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 20  Next