The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eng v Aus match thread + build up

+82
BigTrevsbigmac
nganboy
Metal Tiger
kingjohn7
Heaf
Bristolian
mckay1402
englandglory4ever
kiakahaaotearoa
Exiledinborders
Barney McGrew did it
majesticimperialman
Brendan
madmaccas
Rugby Fan
GLove39
trebellbobaggins
Feckless Rogue
ospreysboyo
wales606
GunsGerms
Knowsit17
kingelderfield
Full Credit
LeinsterFan4life
QuickBall
TJ
mystiroakey
nobbled
yappysnap
emack2
Pal Joey
EnglishReign
Breadvan
markb
splenetic
The Saint
aucklandlaurie
tigerleghorn
No 7&1/2
Jhamer25
Poorfour
Wyldthing
WELL-PAST-IT
Portnoy's Complaint
dummy_half
Cumbrian
jimmyinthewell68
Toadfish
Bathman_in_London
stub
Scrumpy
bluestonevedder
butterfingers
Duty281
Geordie
sirtidychris
lostinwales
propdavid_london
BamBam
nathan
Hood83
blackcanelion
maestegmafia
thomh
doctor_grey
ChequeredJersey
Luckless Pedestrian
beshocked
hugehandoff
fa0019
Sgt_Pooly
Biltong
munkian
Cyril
Icu
sad_gimp
Taylorman
Hound of Harrow
quinsforever
GloriousEmpire
DeludedOptimistorjustDave
86 posters

Page 20 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20

Go down

Eng v Aus match thread + build up - Page 20 Empty Eng v Aus match thread + build up

Post by DeludedOptimistorjustDave Tue 29 Oct 2013, 11:09 pm

First topic message reminder :

Chance to chat about the game.
I think it will be a real cracker with England to take it by around 8 points or more.
I know every game is important but the management must have this penciled in as a must win because they can win it if they play it right.

Back to top Go down

Eng v Aus match thread + build up - Page 20 Empty Re: Eng v Aus match thread + build up

Post by quinsforever Mon 04 Nov 2013, 5:21 pm

scrum certainly used to be a farce with the number of resets and the near impossibility of referees getting it right.

have to say these new laws get the game restarted a lot more frequently, and also make it much more obvious which team is weaker at the scrum without the huge impact of previous scrum contact laws.

so a big step forwards. for the forwards.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Eng v Aus match thread + build up - Page 20 Empty Re: Eng v Aus match thread + build up

Post by Hound of Harrow Mon 04 Nov 2013, 7:15 pm

GloriousEmpire wrote:
quinsforever wrote:
GloriousEmpire wrote:
ChequeredJersey wrote:Who could have seen Brown's foot in touch? Both feet were literally clipping the line, no officials were nearby and Brown himself probably didn't know his feet were in touch or he would have had them an inch further out. That's not a shocking error, we all just think it was because we have the benefit of tv angles, close ups, replays and slo mo
Rubbish. It was clear as daylight. I saw it the first time around. What about the succession of knock ons? Those could've been seen from space. And that obstruction? Visible from mars.
your obstruction of sensible debate here is undeniable but would have had equal impact on that try being scored.

if it didnt impact the try being scored, and the referee, and TMO made that very clear, then it's just not relevant. about as relevant as the winger obstructing the opposite winger when the ball is 50m away from them. so yes it might be obstruction, but not obstruction of someone who could have stopped that try being scored Smile
Rewrite history all you like. But as Jeremy Guscott agrees, Farrell isn't capable of scoring that sort of try.

The way he ran into the gap created by "insufficient obstruction" is proof enough that there was obstruction.
Unless you have a different copy of TRP to me, Guscott did not mention any obstruction when commenting on Farrell's try. Pure fabrication fella.

To quote...."I never thought I'd see him score a try at this level where he ran through a gap - but the gap was there and he took it."

Keep plugging away though.

It was Carteresque the way Farrell spotted the gap and went for it.

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by englandglory4ever Mon 04 Nov 2013, 7:21 pm

I agree it was Carter like. Great try sweet to watch.

englandglory4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by englandglory4ever Mon 04 Nov 2013, 7:23 pm

GloriousEmpire wrote:Scrum is a farce. We should do away with it and have a tap restart
Spoken like a disillusioned supporter who believes his side is inferior in this area.

englandglory4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Mon 04 Nov 2013, 7:42 pm

Well after watching the game in an East end pub being the only aussie in there, I have to say the English supporters in there were a bloody good bunch. Good banter during the game and a few consolalation drinks with them after. Bit different from here.

My 2c worth of the game, half time I though we might have won it, we were playing well. Then the English pressure came on the 2nd half, whatever their coach said at half time really worked! I remember saying right, this is your (English) time of the match, we just need to soak it up without giving away too many points and it'll be a grand finish. The disappointment as the game went on and we showed no signs of any attacks was crushing. Wallabies lost that game fair and square. The kiwis did it to us earlier this year nilling us in the 2nd half, and it happened again. On our 2nd half showing we don't deserve to win any games, but on the 1st half I thought we showed a lot of promise and looking like the slow upward curve of the Wallabies performance from the last couple of game was carrying on. No it wasn't.

We still need a skipper in the mode of Stirling/Eales/Gregan to lift the side in the 2nd half and rally the troops for the comeback. The scrum went from ok in the beginning to a no show. Although I did wonder why there was a penalty against us for the 1st scrum penalty when I thought we had wheeled the English scrum?

Anyway, well played England for the 2nd half come back and shutting us out. Rest of the tour I feel will be an anticlimax after the opener no matter how well we play now. One step forward and 2 back is getting hard to take, all the talk of regeneration seemingly always to fall apart at the next big game. I'm sure we'll play better as the tour goes on, but really now just have the next RC comp to look forward to to see if there really is any improvement in our play. For sure the side's too good to drop much furthur down in the rankings... or is it? But Saturday was a bitter disappointment to swallow, only made easier by the nice bunch of English supporters in the pub.... and a few drinks!! Smile

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Mon 04 Nov 2013, 8:14 pm

Hi OzT - how's tricks?

At least you had a good experience in the pub.

thumbsup

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Mon 04 Nov 2013, 8:40 pm

Things are good Hound thanks, better than the Wallabies at the mo!! LOL! Hope you're good mate!

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Mon 04 Nov 2013, 8:55 pm

englandglory4ever wrote:I agree it was Carter like. Great try sweet to watch.
Carter does it without the obstruction.
That's the difference between talent and a plodding wannabe

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 04 Nov 2013, 9:07 pm

Laugh
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by tigerleghorn Mon 04 Nov 2013, 9:13 pm

GloriousEmpire wrote:
Will you be watching the England/NZ game in your local Pub GE? I'm sure like Oz, you'd be able to share a few friendly pints with the local England fans.

......especially as they don't know you!

tigerleghorn

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Mon 04 Nov 2013, 9:34 pm

GE, you not going to mention when Cooper pulled back Ashton when Yarde nearly scored?

Surely it should of been an instant penalty and perhaps a yellow?

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Mon 04 Nov 2013, 9:43 pm

OzT wrote:Things are good Hound thanks, better than the Wallabies at the mo!! LOL! Hope you're good mate!
Good stuff bud. I'll PM you details of the pre Xmas London drinks if Asbo doesn't stick it up on the main board. Hope you can make it.

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Mon 04 Nov 2013, 9:48 pm

tigerleghorn wrote:
GloriousEmpire wrote:
Will you be watching the England/NZ game in your local Pub GE? I'm sure like Oz, you'd be able to share a few friendly pints with the local England fans.

I'm in corporate hospitality with my major client so I have to be on my best behaviour. F********k

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Mon 04 Nov 2013, 10:04 pm

We all need to reasess the game. Apparently, England only won by 13-5. This lad's video evidence is incontrovertible.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by tigerleghorn Mon 04 Nov 2013, 10:12 pm

GloriousEmpire wrote:
tigerleghorn wrote:
GloriousEmpire wrote:

I'm in corporate hospitality with my major client so I have to be on my best behaviour. F********k
Of course you are. Your client will be sat there twiddling his fingers whilst you're rattling off various missives on here all day long picard 

tigerleghorn

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Mon 04 Nov 2013, 10:48 pm

Nah. Unfortunately I'll be on best behaviour. Golf
Clap England, lovely play. Oohhh! What a shame that big oaf from NZ scored a try. Yawn.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by DeludedOptimistorjustDave Mon 04 Nov 2013, 10:57 pm

20 pages on and this crap still being disputed?!
Lets put it to bed now,England had the game handed on a plate,as mentioned already by many we expect more "shock" wins from this rather average English team because the IRB can't afford a rubbish England hosting the 2015 world cup!
They need maximum interest from the PAYING public and that will only come if the coat tailers "English fans" can brag and beat their chests on how wonderful they are.

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Mon 04 Nov 2013, 11:22 pm

Probably closer to the truth than you're humorous context lends itself...

I still wonder about the convenience of the English win in 2003.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon 04 Nov 2013, 11:27 pm

OzT wrote:Well after watching the game in an East end pub being the only aussie in there, I have to say the English supporters in there were a bloody good bunch. Good banter during the game and a few consolalation drinks with them after. Bit different from here.

My 2c worth of the game, half time I though we might have won it, we were playing well. Then the English pressure came on the 2nd half, whatever their coach said at half time really worked! I remember saying right, this is your (English) time of the match, we just need to soak it up without giving away too many points and it'll be a grand finish. The disappointment as the game went on and we showed no signs of any attacks was crushing. Wallabies lost that game fair and square. The kiwis did it to us earlier this year nilling us in the 2nd half, and it happened again. On our 2nd half showing we don't deserve to win any games, but on the 1st half I thought we showed a lot of promise and looking like the slow upward curve of the Wallabies performance from the last couple of game was carrying on. No it wasn't.

We still need a skipper in the mode of Stirling/Eales/Gregan to lift the side in the 2nd half and rally the troops for the comeback. The scrum went from ok in the beginning to a no show. Although I did wonder why there was a penalty against us for the 1st scrum penalty when I thought we had wheeled the English scrum?

Anyway, well played England for the 2nd half come back and shutting us out. Rest of the tour I feel will be an anticlimax after the opener no matter how well we play now. One step forward and 2 back is getting hard to take, all the talk of regeneration seemingly always to fall apart at the next big game. I'm sure we'll play better as the tour goes on, but really now just have the next RC comp to look forward to to see if there really is any improvement in our play. For sure the side's too good to drop much furthur down in the rankings... or is it? But Saturday was a bitter disappointment to swallow, only made easier by the nice bunch of English supporters in the pub.... and a few drinks!!  Smile
Thats there or abouts how I saw it too...especially the second half...
and there were a nice bunch of English blokes on here after it as well.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Mon 04 Nov 2013, 11:29 pm

nganboy wrote:I liked how someone pulled GE up for blaming refs when the result didn't suit them?
Can we please put our hands up all those who have never complained about the reffing in any games on this website?
anyone?
I think you might mean me, if so I think you misread it maybe ...

I was in fact pulling him up on on his previous remarks about how some posters always resort to blaming the ref when the result doesn't suit them - which made his position now somewhat hypocritical ...

The quote I included came from one of his previous posts.

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Tue 05 Nov 2013, 12:17 pm

Matt Rowley at Green and Gold

Can we blame the officials?

For being inept – yes. For losing the Wallabies the match – no.

If you play a negative gameplan that lacks attacking ambition, aims to win by seven points or less and tries to ‘get away with it’ in critical parts of the game, you open yourself up to the randomness of rugby; the bounce of the ball, inept refereeing, an off day with the boot.
After a weekend of venting frustration with the officiating, it looks like Wallaby supporters have begun to train their guns on their own team's performance.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue 05 Nov 2013, 12:21 pm

Rugby Fan wrote:Matt Rowley at Green and Gold

If you play a negative gameplan that lacks attacking ambition, aims to win by seven points or less and tries to ‘get away with it’ in critical parts of the game, you open yourself up to the randomness of rugby; the bounce of the ball, inept refereeing, an off day with the boot.
After a weekend of venting frustration with the officiating, it looks like Wallaby supporters have begun to train their guns on their own team's performance.
The 'venting' can be pretty funny on that side (well maybe the first 5 or 10 pages or so) but there are some smart comment amongst the bile

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 05 Nov 2013, 12:23 pm

Rugby Fan wrote:Matt Rowley at Green and Gold

Proper order. I shouldnt think England despite the win will be particularly happy either. Abslolutly clueless in posession and although they won probably deserved to lose as much as Australia did.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Tue 05 Nov 2013, 12:47 pm

GunsGerms wrote:... I shouldnt think England despite the win will be particularly happy either...
That's right. I suspect both sets of fans are actually in broad agreement about how the match played out, with the probably exception of whether Farrell's try deserved to be overturned.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 05 Nov 2013, 1:37 pm

Rugby Fan wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:... I shouldnt think England despite the win will be particularly happy either...
That's right. I suspect both sets of fans are actually in broad agreement about how the match played out, with the probably exception of whether Farrell's try deserved to be overturned.

Personally I thought it would have been quite harsh to not give it.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Wed 06 Nov 2013, 1:55 pm

As wrong as GE is, I'm sorry, but Farrell's try was not Carter-esque! Laugh

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 06 Nov 2013, 2:00 pm

Comfort wrote:As wrong as GE is, I'm sorry, but Farrell's try was not Carter-esque! Laugh
Maybe not but he deserves a lot of credit for spotting the gap and taking it. I dont think many other OHs would have had the confidence to take it on.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Triangulation Wed 06 Nov 2013, 2:03 pm

But it is rich for any kiwi to cry "obstruction ref!"

Very "kettle this is pot calling"

Kiwis have down the years been past masters of the general play block and not so long ago were using their props in a very blatant illegal, obstructive fashion around rucks.

I have no great problem with players/teams doing it. It is up to the ref and linesmen to spot it - otherwise well done.

I guess then given the above it should be no surprise that it was our Dylan Hartley who came up with the play!

Triangulation

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Wed 06 Nov 2013, 2:15 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
Comfort wrote:As wrong as GE is, I'm sorry, but Farrell's try was not Carter-esque! Laugh
Maybe not but he deserves a lot of credit for spotting the gap and taking it. I dont think many other OHs would have had the confidence to take it on.
Guns I would be disspointed in a test flyhalf that wouldnt have gone for that gap. It wasnt exactly small, in part due to a little obstruction (but rightly called 'not enough obstruction' - see my post on Bilt's law discussion thread for my views on that).

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 06 Nov 2013, 2:18 pm

Comfort wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:
Guns I would be disspointed in a test flyhalf that wouldnt have gone for that gap. It wasnt exactly small, in part due to a little obstruction (but rightly called 'not enough obstruction' - see my post on Bilt's law discussion thread for my views on that).

The obstruction was insignificant in my view. I dont think all OHs would have spotted the gap in all honesty.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Wed 06 Nov 2013, 2:25 pm

No, I was happy the try stood, the obstruction did help create the original gap though, to say otherwise is, well, odd.

You're probably right with OH's these days, they dont seem to be as 'heads up' as they should be, I'd like to think that any of the 3 we have in Wales would have taken it for instance. I'm sure Sexton would have, I'm sure Flood would have. So that's another 5 just in the british isles without mentioning the Madigans/Fords/Ciprianis/Morgans of the world who love a gap.

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Wed 06 Nov 2013, 2:37 pm

There wasn't an obstruction.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Wed 06 Nov 2013, 3:40 pm

Ok, Scrumpy, there sure wasnt, i mean the referee certainly didnt say "not enough obstruction", indicating that there was an obstruction, but not enough to stop the potential tackler getting there and making the tackle.

That definitely didnt happen.

Wink 

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20