The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fighters - You've changed your mind about in a positive way !!

+13
Mr Bounce
rapidringsroad
Nico the gman
Lance
Strongback
Pedro147
Hammersmith harrier
rIck_dAgless
Boxtthis
mobilemaster8
azania
hazharrison
TRUSSMAN66
17 posters

Go down

Fighters - You've changed your mind about in a positive way !! Empty Fighters - You've changed your mind about in a positive way !!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 14 Nov 2013, 1:15 pm

Sumbu Kalambay - Thought he was an average stinkaboo European level fighter...........Turned out to be a top 10 middle of the last 30 years.......Forget the fact he was clueless against a southpaw (a la ricky).......Mccallum, Sims, Dewitt, Graham were good wins and he turned out to be a top middle..........

Frank Bruno - I used to laugh at this guy he was so mechanical and one dimensional.......But looking back at him now I see one of the best jabs of the last 25 years and a guy who would be top of the pops If he were around now..........Certainly bust Vitali up.......Like Lewis did..

Derry Matthews - Used to be his biggest critic...waste of space etc......But now I admire grudgingly Brit-Boxing's greatest survivor.......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Fighters - You've changed your mind about in a positive way !! Empty Re: Fighters - You've changed your mind about in a positive way !!

Post by hazharrison Thu 14 Nov 2013, 1:41 pm

For me:

Roberto Duran: As a kid I had the "Fantastic Four" video and could not for the life of me understand why he was so highly rated. I get it now.

Riddick Bowe: As an avid Lewis fan, Bowe was the enemy. He looked a big, sloppy mess of a fighter -- who also seemed to have the luck of the devil. He looks like Ali today compared to the useless lot we have around. He'd murder the Klitschkos.

Sonny Liston: Based on the two Ali fights, I thought Liston was vastly overrated. When you take into account the suspicious circumstances surrounding both (the rematch was a flat out dive) and examine what a force he was prior to winning the title, I think Liston is hugely underrated -- a match for anyone.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Fighters - You've changed your mind about in a positive way !! Empty Re: Fighters - You've changed your mind about in a positive way !!

Post by azania Thu 14 Nov 2013, 1:50 pm

Every HW boxer in the 80s. I thought most were fat slobs (which in fairness they were at the time). But they had talent which is lacking today.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Thu 14 Nov 2013, 1:51 pm

Believe it or not.....i used to hate Carl Froch before his fight with Taylor. Always wanted him knocked out. Since that win, i have been forever watching his career, his toughness, obvious skillset, power, chin, heart. Can also mix it up like he did with Pascal and then change to a good boxer against AA.

That's it for me.

Also, don't agree with your points on Bruno, Truss.

Whilst he had a great jab and decent power (was also built like a machine), i think Vitali out punches him and beats him LKO.

Lennox had a great fight with Vitali, hit him with big shots and couldn't even dent him, let alone anything else.

Shame about the cut, but Vitali wanted to crack on, simple as that.

Lewis destroyed Bruno, Vitali probably hits as hard as Lennox, so for me, its competitive for 5-6 rounds, then its stopped late on with punch accumulation.

On a side note, my admiration for Pacquiao has slipped since his step up in weights. Whilst i admired his fights with MAB, MORALES, JMM at the lower weights, i just think he has been guided very very well by Bob Arum in the LW-LMW era of his career.

This is topped off with his Rios fight.....mismatch of the century??

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 14 Nov 2013, 2:01 pm

I think Wlad would struggle to spoil Frank who tended to punch straight with that quality jab and right hand.......

Not saying Frank wins but Wlad would struggle to come in and hug Frank in a straight line which he does quite often in fights..

Frank would definitely hurt him also If he landed.........Wlad rides out the first four rounds he's a huge favorite...

Sanders did show however what a straight puncher can do..........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Thu 14 Nov 2013, 2:07 pm

Sorry mate i thought you wrote Vitali....my bad.

Yep, agree that if he fought Wlad, he could pose some very very big problems. Samuel Peter being a prime example.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Thu 14 Nov 2013, 2:08 pm

azania wrote:Every HW boxer in the 80s. I thought most were fat slobs (which in fairness they were at the time). But they had talent which is lacking today.
So true.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Thu 14 Nov 2013, 2:09 pm

Have to Agree with Duran Haz - when younger he was just a scruffy guy who quit, rather than the stryles of the other 3, nowadays I see what all the fuss is about.

Floyd as well, dont like him so biased me, but now appreciate watching such a talent in action

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 14 Nov 2013, 2:18 pm

Wlad may hit as hard as Lewis but he's not as aggressive as pre Steward Lewis so doesn't utilise it as well. Vitali on the other hand is a fair way behind both when it comes to pure blunt force trauma.

Roy jones is the one for me, used to think of him as a fancy who didn't beat a lot but the more you look into the better his opposition actually is. The way he completely shut down Toney is to be admired.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Thu 14 Nov 2013, 2:30 pm

Used to dislike Froch in the calling out Calzaghe days but grew to respect him and look forward to his fights.

Now I only want him to lose as he seems to believe he is on a pedestel. So I've sorta done a 360 turn opposed to 180. Don't know if this is still in line with OP of the thread.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 14 Nov 2013, 3:57 pm

Tony Bellew...........but he's gone up and back down again in my estimation a few times.

I've chatted with him on forums and he comes across a lot better when he writes than he does on TV. When he gets too excitable he lets himself down with some of the things he says. Needs to calm down a bit.

Still, I reckon Stevenson pastes him.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Thu 14 Nov 2013, 4:31 pm

Froch - used to think he was bitter and petty. but after I met him I realised he is just uncomfortable infront of the camera, and says daft things. when hes being himself hes actually quite humble and respectful. easy to get on with

Roy Jones - used to find him a smug showboater with no respect for his opponents. however hes quite bright and very insightful. enjoy his commentating, and realise he actually loves the sport aswell as his fame.

Hatton - used to think he was a liar and a fraud. however it turns out hes just a money hungry, selfish, self-prioritizing guy. much like a lot of people

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 14 Nov 2013, 4:32 pm

He probably preferred it when you thought he was a liar and a fraud..Wink 

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Thu 14 Nov 2013, 5:11 pm

haha just thought the same thing, Truss!

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Thu 14 Nov 2013, 5:18 pm

The comment about Hatton reminds me of the one my work mates said to one of our supervisors,"Most the blokes in this place think your a t**t but you've alway's been OK with me,could imagine him going home and telling his wife about the nice compliment he was given HA HA !

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by rapidringsroad Thu 14 Nov 2013, 8:42 pm

Sorry Truss but I don't think I would pick Bruno to worry Vitali.He was wooden and he soon ran out of steam,nowhere near Lewis' class and Lewis improved a lot when Steward took over.My opinion of Bruno hasn't changed over the years.

rapidringsroad

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Fri 15 Nov 2013, 11:18 am

I used to hate Larry Big Pants. I have since begun to appreciate how good his jab was and given the length and effectiveness of his reign and his list of opponents his achievements were pretty impressive.

Roy Jones was one I used to really admire. However, since he has stayed on a decade past his prime and is STILL fighting, the shine has gone. He has tarnished an exceptional career.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Fri 15 Nov 2013, 11:32 am

Danny Garcia - Just couldn't really get into liking him. Thought his style was boring. Especially when he got lucky against Ashley Theophane. But He has completely changed my mind and I now admire how effective and professional he is. His dad is a looper (and he does speak a lot of sense if you read inbetween the madness). His showing against Matthysse was excellent and a lot of people find it unforgivable for him bursting the bubbles of Khan and Matthysse who were apparently going to win easy.

Tim Bradley - Hated the constant headbutts, lack of power but I began to like him after he made Alexander cry. (Devon closing the eye that wasn't cut and screaming "Aoooooaaahhh" just to get out of the fight. The Provodnikov fight showed he had some serious mettle. 99% of fighters in that weight division would never have fought through a concussion. Great stamina and work rate. Then his tactics against Marquez were excellent too. Look forward to more of the same from Tim. Again, people hate him for a decision 2 other people made.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 15 Nov 2013, 2:15 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Danny Garcia - Just couldn't really get into liking him. Thought his style was boring. Especially when he got lucky against Ashley Theophane. But He has completely changed my mind and I now admire how effective and professional he is. His dad is a looper (and he does speak a lot of sense if you read inbetween the madness). His showing against Matthysse was excellent and a lot of people find it unforgivable for him bursting the bubbles of Khan and Matthysse who were apparently going to win easy.

Tim Bradley - Hated the constant headbutts, lack of power but I began to like him after he made Alexander cry. (Devon closing the eye that wasn't cut and screaming "Aoooooaaahhh" just to get out of the fight. The Provodnikov fight showed he had some serious mettle. 99% of fighters in that weight division would never have fought through a concussion. Great stamina and work rate. Then his tactics against Marquez were excellent too. Look forward to more of the same from Tim. Again, people hate him for a decision 2 other people made.
Yeah, not Tim's fault his parents had sex

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Fri 15 Nov 2013, 2:40 pm

Laugh clap 
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 15 Nov 2013, 3:21 pm

Tino has done a good job over the past couple of years or so of convincing me of the strength of Ricardo Lopez's credentials. Haven't changed my mind on him so to speak, as I always knew he was a great fighter, but he's a fair few places further up my list of great Mexicans and pound for pounders largely thanks to Tino's powers of persuasion.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 15 Nov 2013, 4:04 pm

Chris has done a number on me in persuading me of Pernell Whitaker's credentials. Still have to be proper in the mood to watch him, however for many a year when it comes to top spot at lightweight I always believed it to be a three horse race. Chris has certainly convinced me that when I wrestle with the question I at least have to consider four peoples credentials.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri 15 Nov 2013, 4:24 pm

Still have to be proper in the mood to watch him
Jeff, overdosing on mogadon is not a "mood".

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 15 Nov 2013, 4:44 pm

superflyweight wrote:
Still have to be proper in the mood to watch him
Jeff, overdosing on mogadon is not a "mood".  
It is in Rotherham mate.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down