The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wilkinson Was Better Than Carter, Says Woodward

+32
Casartelli
alive555
offload
Seagultaf
tatterd
SecretFly
ChequeredJersey
Cyril
rodders
rainbow-warrior
Nachos Jones
doctor_grey
Poorfour
OzT
lostinwales
nobbled
Toadfish
fa0019
Biltong
Bathman_in_London
jimmyinthewell68
gregortree
Luckless Pedestrian
beshocked
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Scrumpy
kiakahaaotearoa
Geordie
munkian
tigerleghorn
GloriousEmpire
Rugby Fan
36 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Wilkinson Was Better Than Carter, Says Woodward - Page 2 Empty Wilkinson Was Better Than Carter, Says Woodward

Post by Rugby Fan Fri 15 Nov 2013, 9:08 am

First topic message reminder :

Headline reads "Jonny was better than King Carter"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-2507452/SIR-CLIVE-WOODWARD-Jonny-Wilkinson-better-Dan-Carter.html

Woodward does make that claim, but doesn't really explain why. The Daily Mail copywriter hasn't really done him any favours by singling that sentence out. Woodward's piece is more of a lengthy tribute to Carter. While he does mention Wilkinson's defence, most people would probably say that.

When he was at his peak, Wilkinson was probably the best 10 in the world but I'd have Carter in my team. You think Woodward might make that choice too if he was going with his head rather than his heart.

Last edited by Rugby Fan on Fri 15 Nov 2013, 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Wilkinson Was Better Than Carter, Says Woodward - Page 2 Empty Re: Wilkinson Was Better Than Carter, Says Woodward

Post by GloriousEmpire Fri 15 Nov 2013, 11:54 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:JW had a very good running game...he had pace, a good step and an eye for the gap. His handling maybe wasnt exceptional but was still very good.

But people forget this and think he was just "a kicker".
He was just a kicker. Not even a particularly good tactical kicker. He also lacked range.

At the time he was a useful asset since the game was dominated by ruck penalties, favoured negative dour game slowing tactics and he could kick a penalty goal. As the laws adjusted to the removal of rucking his lack of vision and slow decision making found him out.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Wilkinson Was Better Than Carter, Says Woodward - Page 2 Empty Re: Wilkinson Was Better Than Carter, Says Woodward

Post by fa0019 Fri 15 Nov 2013, 11:54 am

GloriousEmpire wrote:I'm sure JW's lethal try scoring and attacking abilities were held back by not having some of Dylan Hartley's ability at applying just the right not quite enough obstruction to create the gaps for him to run through. thumbsup 
If thats the case you could argue Carters success in the 05 lions series can be partly attributed to him having 2 henchmen follow their orders to a tee within minutes of starting the first test.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Fri 15 Nov 2013, 11:57 am

fa0019 wrote:
GloriousEmpire wrote:I'm sure JW's lethal try scoring and attacking abilities were held back by not having some of Dylan Hartley's ability at applying just the right not quite enough obstruction to create the gaps for him to run through. thumbsup 
If thats the case you could argue Carters success in the 05 lions series can be partly attributed to him having 2 henchmen follow their orders to a tee within minutes of starting the first test.
Yes because BoD has shown, on each of his numerous chances, his innate ability to neutralise New Zealand's play makers.

Seriously picard  have I woken up on fantasy island? Or is it twilight zone delusional hour?

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Fri 15 Nov 2013, 11:58 am

GloriousEmpire wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:JW had a very good running game...he had pace, a good step and an eye for the gap. His handling maybe wasnt exceptional but was still very good.

He was just a kicker. Not even a particularly good tactical kicker. He also lacked range.

At the time he was a useful asset since the game was dominated by ruck penalties, favoured negative dour game slowing tactics and he could kick a penalty goal. As the laws adjusted to the removal of rucking his lack of vision and slow decision making found him out.
Later in his career he was seen more as a kicker but pre 2003, JW was a sublime attacking 10. I am sure there will be some old videos on youtube to be seen.

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Fri 15 Nov 2013, 11:58 am

GloriousEmpire wrote:
fa0019 wrote:
Yes because BoD has shown, on each of his numerous chances, his innate ability to neutralise New Zealand's play makers.

Seriously :Picard: have I woken up on fantasy island? Or is it twilight zone delusional hour?
GE when you are around... its always the twilight zone delusional hour.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Toadfish Fri 15 Nov 2013, 11:59 am

GloriousEmpire wrote:

Just for you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_mLbOP2oTA

Toadfish

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 15 Nov 2013, 12:00 pm

GloriousEmpire wrote:

Why come on a rugby forum when you obviously have never watched much rugby...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri 15 Nov 2013, 12:01 pm

Woodward talking about Wilkinson in The Daily Mail.

I bet there's some serious spittle on GE's monitor/phone screen.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Fri 15 Nov 2013, 12:02 pm

GloriousEmpire wrote:

Think you're a bit harsh there GE. He was for a time a very good steady kicker. You just know concede a penalty anything up to 40 metres from your line and it'll be 3 points against you. We've been on the receiving end often enough playing England when I had thought we were the better side on the pitch, running in tries all round the park (yes we did have an attacking side in those days!!) and still come off losing from those kicks of his, drat as I would've say at the time!!! Smile

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 15 Nov 2013, 12:03 pm

Hmm, good point GE, I'm fairly sure New Zealand have never utilised significant degrees of obstruction through dummy runners and lazy runners or "holding the line". They certainly did not master it and therefore Carter has never gained from it

drumroll 
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 15 Nov 2013, 12:07 pm

If Johnny was just a kicker, Will Greenwood must have been even better than I thought he was. Seriously, as England's backs scored plenty of tries and he managed that backline with such a limited 10, he's almost certainly the greatest rugby player of all time, with daylight second
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri 15 Nov 2013, 12:09 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha9RqQmtXUU

One of my all time favourites

I am not sure but I think it was Ntamack's last international

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 15 Nov 2013, 12:13 pm

The title bears no relation to the article apparently. It's a bit like the other day Quade Cooper better than McCaw on defence. You don't need to read an article nowadays to know the title is attention grabbing sensationalism as people comment on the title rather thanthe article. It's like Louis CK saying a video posted on Facebook that has a thumbnail of your child but the video itself is 5 minutes of your bum and scrotum will elicit comments such as OMG that's so cute and + 1 so adorable. Who can be arsed watching such trivial nonsense?

At least though the article has sparked debate and like fools we keep getting sucked into their game. But what they hey, it beats working. Happy Friday everyone. Or as Jesus said, do not just have any Friday. Have a Good Friday and rise from the dead on Sunday. Don't mind the alcohol fumes. That's why you're wearing a toga.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 15 Nov 2013, 12:25 pm

It IS true that Carter has, and has had, a smörgåsbord of talent to work with, which always makes a difference.  Is Carter making the smörgåsbord look tastier than it really is or does the smörgåsbord varnish his work?  That's an eternal question that might have a lot of stats behind it but will never really have a definitive answer.

But the same could be true for Wilkinson.  He wasn't a one man team.  Indeed, he became the icon that he is because of his kicking talent.  No kicker kicks unless he has a team giving him endless opportunities to do so.  So he was part of a potent team - certainly in the forwards, who forced penalty after penalty. That they liked that menu and kept to it is in part down to his predictability at the kicking but still, no team effort, no kicks.

Wilkinson had his time - and for England it was a glorious time.  But look at the IRB ranking graph since records began and it's frightening how dominant the All Blacks have been.  Carter is only one player yes - but he's been a central figure in their continuing potency.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Fri 15 Nov 2013, 12:30 pm

SecretFly wrote:It IS true that Carter has, and has had, a smörgåsbord of talent to work with, which always makes a difference.  Is Carter making the smörgåsbord look tastier than it really is or does the smörgåsbord varnish his work?  That's an eternal question that might have a lot of stats behind it but will never really have a definitive answer.

But the same could be true for Wilkinson.  He wasn't a one man team.  Indeed, he became the icon that he is because of his kicking talent.  No kicker kicks unless he has a team giving him endless opportunities to do so.  So he was part of a potent team - certainly in the forwards, who forced penalty after penalty.  That they liked that menu and kept to it is in part down to his predictability at the kicking but still, no team effort, no kicks.

Wilkinson had his time - and for England it was a glorious time.  But look at the IRB ranking graph since records began and it's frightening how dominant the All Blacks have been.  Carter is only one player yes - but he's been a central figure in their continuing potency.
I agree fly

take Hugo Porta for instance. Had a decent pack but in the 80s he was a man apart. He took his side to SA and drew a series 1-1. Not bad considering the boks had smashed the '80 lions, were within touching distance of beating NZ in an away series in '81 and dismantled the kiwis in 86 at home.
He didn't have the tools and he still achieved remarkable things.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by tatterd Fri 15 Nov 2013, 12:31 pm

I'll wager that never, in the history of 606 v2, has the word smörgåsbord been used 3 times in one post. THRICE!! Impressive stuff fly!

tatterd

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri 15 Nov 2013, 12:36 pm

Well as smörgåsbord's go this thread didnt look that tempting but barring a couple of dishes which are best left well alone overall its been pretty damn good

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 15 Nov 2013, 12:37 pm

tatterd wrote:I'll wager that never, in the history of 606 v2, has the word smörgåsbord been used 3 times in one post. THRICE!! Impressive stuff fly!
I knew connoisseurs of flowery lingo would appreciate that, tatterd - thus I used it three times for effect Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 15 Nov 2013, 12:37 pm

Nachos Jones wrote:
GloriousEmpire wrote:

Later in his career he was seen more as a kicker but pre 2003, JW was a sublime attacking 10. I am sure there will be some old videos on youtube to be seen.
Let's not go overboard here. He was certainly more than just a kicking outside half, but to say he was a 'sublime attacking 10' is to lie.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Fri 15 Nov 2013, 12:39 pm

OzT wrote:
GloriousEmpire wrote:

Think you're a bit harsh there GE. He was for a time a very good steady kicker. You just know concede a penalty anything up to 40 metres from  your line and it'll be 3 points against you. We've been on the receiving end often enough playing England when I had thought we were the better side on the pitch, running in tries all round the park (yes we did have an attacking side in those days!!) and still come off losing from those kicks of his, drat as I would've say at the time!!!  Smile
Oh yeah, as I said. In terms of reliability within 40 meters he was top drawer. Very few before or since could match his accuracy from the tee.

But his tactical kicking from hand has always been average, and he was no Steyn with his range. He also appeared at a time when place kicking was globally weak. So he appeared to give more of an ad range than he might have.

1/2p is a far better all round player to me. With an equally good place kick.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Fri 15 Nov 2013, 12:39 pm

Probably a number of better outside halfs who played in the same era as Wilkinson, but didn't play behind the English pack!

Carter plays in the best side in the World but has rightly been no1 in his position. Getting to the end of his career now and I am not sure he still deserves the no1 accolade, who will take his crown?

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Fri 15 Nov 2013, 12:40 pm

Carter at the moment isn't even the second best 10 at the crusaders.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 15 Nov 2013, 12:43 pm

Seagultaf wrote:Probably a number of better outside halfs who played in the same era as Wilkinson, but didn't play behind the English pack!

Carter plays in the best side in the World but has rightly been no1 in his position. Getting to the end of his career now and I am not sure he still deserves the no1 accolade, who will take his crown?
Owen Farrell.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 15 Nov 2013, 12:46 pm

Seagultaf wrote: who will take his crown?
Nobody. The IRB will retire his number as a mark of respect. That'll make rugby a damn sight more interesting to watch! Phillips will get to be 9 and 10, something he's always wanted.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 15 Nov 2013, 1:05 pm

Seagultaf wrote:Probably a number of better outside halfs who played in the same era as Wilkinson, but didn't play behind the English pack!

Who?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 15 Nov 2013, 1:17 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:

Who?
Em.....well there's................................................ I mean, there was that.........................................

I mean, ....well it's hard to name them off the top of my head coz they didn't get much opportunity to do much kicking................ as England was there at the time doing theirs. Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Fri 15 Nov 2013, 5:56 pm

I love the old chestnuts and this is one of the best,

Look...even die hard English fans know in their hearts that Carter is probably the best 10 of all time. Wilkinson was good though and would certainly make it into the top ten. Wink 
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Fri 15 Nov 2013, 7:23 pm

I did point out, when I started this thread, that the Daily Mail headline hardly gave a fair impression of Woodward's piece, which was actually a lengthy tribute to Dan Carter.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Fri 15 Nov 2013, 7:37 pm

Wilko and carter comparison is truly unfair

There is absolutely no comparison whatsoever !

Totally different league

If wilko had been a kiwi he wouldn't have been capped .

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Fri 15 Nov 2013, 7:48 pm

No disrespect to 'Jonny' - a magnificent goal kicker and consummate pro, even if, perhaps, he does sometimes take himself a tad too seriously? Trying to bite your hand off underwater while screaming??? It's only rugby mate, get a grip - no not with your teeth on your thumb...

...BUT, if Ceri Sweeney had played behind that pack then we'd now be talking about the Glyncoch Commando as an all-time great.

Armchair ride.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by butterfingers Fri 15 Nov 2013, 8:08 pm

I like the way Wilkinson gets his performances downplayed, yet Carter who has sat untouched for club and country, always stepping forward as his superstar pack and strike runners get the momentum never gets the same sort of downplaying.

For me it's simple, they were both superstars of the game, both won the world cup they deserved, had near perfect careers and are possibly 2 of the best role models for the sport you could imagine.

Who was better? Noone will ever know, Carters running game was miles better than Jonny, was his cultured boot as good? Carter was nowhere near as solid defencively, infact I'd go as far to say that Jonny was the best defeding 10, nae back of all time!

One played flat and got others in around him, and loved to break the line, the other was all about putting his pack in the perfect places and stepping up when it counted.

Nothing much between 2 superb players, except that Jonny had to go through 3 times more national coaches, a drop off the cliff of quality players around him.

butterfingers

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 15 Nov 2013, 8:22 pm

alive555 wrote:Wilko and carter comparison is truly unfair

There is absolutely no comparison whatsoever !

Totally different league

If wilko had been a kiwi he wouldn't have been capped .
Of course he wouldn't have been capped.  Too small a recognition for a bloke of his skill and stature.

He would have been crowned.  King Jonny the First, of NZ.  Kiwis would be singing God Save The King...............

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri 15 Nov 2013, 8:24 pm

Imagine if NZ had managed to get Jonno AND Jonny!

I think an away World Cup win wouldn't have been out of the question.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Sat 16 Nov 2013, 2:20 am

It's always hard comparing players from different countries/eras. They are both very good players. I think most kiwi fans would vote for Carter as the best NZ first five and most English fans Wilkenson as the best English. None of us can remember or judge players prior to WWII and few can remember players from the 50's and 60's (Alan excluded of course). I'm guessing Welsh, Irish, Australian and Bok supporter have their own favorites.

So it's all down to bias. I remember the 80's with great 10's such as Botha, Porta, Ella, Lynagh, Fox and Davies. So this would be my example. While Fox got a lot of press in NZ for his kicking, passing and game management. I always preferred others. Lynagh was a solid fly half. Davies was a brilliant attacking flyhalf, playing for a poor team. Ella showed how the game could be played and retired in the blink of eye. Porta was a huge talent, who we rarely got to see and who, like Davies played for a poor team. Botha was probably the most talented, but we saw so little of him due to SA's exclusion. The views on these players will no doubt be based on where you're from.

In terms of Wilkinson and Carter. I think the standard is constantly rising. My personal opinion is that Carter is the most complete flyhalf we've seen yet. At his peak he had no weakness. We was a great runner, passer, kicker of the ball. A greater reader of the game. A destructive tackler and an additional loose forward. His peak was long.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sat 16 Nov 2013, 6:39 am

Wilkinson: 1246.

Carter: 1435.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sat 16 Nov 2013, 7:54 am

I fail to see what relevance the times of their birth has Laurie...

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Sat 16 Nov 2013, 12:45 pm

Butterfingers Wilko had a superstar pack as well...

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 16 Nov 2013, 12:50 pm

disneychilly wrote:Butterfingers Wilko had a superstar pack as well...
Once again, England - and Jonny - had larger testicles.
Ends the discussion right there.

Sorry, but I can't share where I obtained that FACT.............

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2