The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who's Better - Wilkinson or Carter?

+31
greenandpleasantland
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
TheGreyGhost
HERSH
offload
screamingaddabs
G2
Luckless Pedestrian
Taylorman
Breadvan
eirebilly
Biltong
B91212
flankertye
nottins
emack2
InjuredYetAgain
doctor_grey
Utility-forward
disneychilly
HammerofThunor
tecphobe
perand25
mr-bryns-attitude
majesticimperialman
rodders
Davie
Shifty
Bullsbok
EnglishReign
Duty281
35 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Who's Better - Wilkinson or Carter?

Who's Better - Wilkinson or Carter? Vote_lcap25%Who's Better - Wilkinson or Carter? Vote_rcap 25% 
[ 17 ]
Who's Better - Wilkinson or Carter? Vote_lcap75%Who's Better - Wilkinson or Carter? Vote_rcap 75% 
[ 52 ]

Total Votes : 69

Who's Better - Wilkinson or Carter? Empty Who's Better - Wilkinson or Carter?

Post by Duty281 Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:18 pm

I say Wilko.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Who's Better - Wilkinson or Carter? Empty Re: Who's Better - Wilkinson or Carter?

Post by EnglishReign Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:21 pm

Wilko, all day long.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Who's Better - Wilkinson or Carter? Empty Re: Who's Better - Wilkinson or Carter?

Post by Bullsbok Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:24 pm

i dont even see how this is a discussion. carter all day
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:25 pm

Carter
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:27 pm

Carter for flair, Wilko for tackling and kicking

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:31 pm

Carter by a country mile in every single aspect of the game bar place kicking where there's not a lot in it. I can't believe anyone even needs to ask.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:37 pm

For me Wilkinson is a better kicker.

Carter seems to have a better distributer of the ball.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by mr-bryns-attitude Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:43 pm

if wilko is better than carter,that guy toby flood must be some player.

mr-bryns-attitude

Back to top Go down

Post by perand25 Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:53 pm

Heart says Wilko head says Carter

perand25

Back to top Go down

Post by tecphobe Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:01 pm

7 english voters. Wilkinson is only better in one aspect of the game than rog

tecphobe

Back to top Go down

Post by perand25 Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:05 pm

tecphobe wrote:7 english voters. Wilkinson is only better in one aspect of the game than rog
Yeah but to be fair Wilko isnt a knob like rog

perand25

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:07 pm

Carter by miles

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:44 pm

Carter easy.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Utility-forward Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:45 pm

Carter's a better player, but I would say that Wilkinson has had more of an impact. For now, anyway

Utility-forward

Back to top Go down

Post by tecphobe Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:52 pm

perand25 wrote:
tecphobe wrote:7 english voters. Wilkinson is only better in one aspect of the game than rog
Do you happen to know both personally ??

tecphobe

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:54 pm

I won't say who is better. But this is like saying my mother can beat up your mother.....

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by tecphobe Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:03 pm

doctor_grey wrote:I won't say who is better. But this is like saying my mother can beat up your mother.....
dont underestimate irish mothers boxing

tecphobe

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:06 pm

never mate, never.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:16 pm

Carter is obviously better now, but Wilko was class in his prime.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:17 pm

A no-brainer. Wilkinson does what he does very well but Carter has a much more rounded game and has more strengths than JW.
As a talisman, though, I think JW might edge it as the English players do seem to look up to/need him more than Kiwis do for DC

Last edited by InjuredYetAgain on Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I was off when we did spelling classes at school)

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by perand25 Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:27 pm

tecphobe wrote:
perand25 wrote:

Yep we are all best pals kiss

perand25

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:29 pm

With due respect,defence aside Andrew Merthens had a better all round game than Wilkinson.HE was also a great goalkicker,his boot getting 3 sides promoted to an upper division,[INCLUDING Toulon]

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:21 am

I believe Carter made 1 out of 3 tackles at the weekend...

nottins

Back to top Go down

Post by tecphobe Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:40 am

perand25 wrote:
tecphobe wrote:
perand25 wrote:

Yep we are all best pals kiss
Hug

tecphobe

Back to top Go down

Post by flankertye Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:04 am

I voted Carter, far more rounded player.
Wilkinson has a huge impact on whatever team he plays for. He's still one of the most respected flyhalfs in the world.

flankertye

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:48 am

Carter all the way for me. Hadn't seen much of him until the 05 Lions series and he was just a different class. On his day Wilkinson was truely great but for me Carter is the best there has ever been, good kicking game, decent defense, brilliant running game and great game management. Wilkinson has better defense and decent game management but Carter blows him away with ball in hand, and in more recent times kicking from hand as well.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:03 am

I don't get these "Who's better" polls. It is all down to subjective bias and some objective resoning, hard to determine who's biased and who's not.

I say Carter, and i am not biased, neither plays for SA.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:14 am

This is very difficult. Wilko edges it in place kicking and defence and Carter in creativity and vision.

I dont want to say who is better but if i was picking a side then i would have Carter over Wilko.

Both true legends of the game, no-one can debate that.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:36 am

DC has a better all round game, but as mentioned, JW a better defence. Shame JW spent so much time injured, he probably would've been equal or better than DC??
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:37 am

I have always liked JW, could never understand why so many englishmen were complaining about him.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:18 am

JW a better defence? Really. Because its his strong point don't make it better.
DC's defence is very strong and he usually has to defend against better attackers.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:23 am

The best way to answer the question is to think who you'd want to play outside half for your team. It's Dan Carter any day of the week.

Can England fans say honestly that they would rather have Jonny Wilkinson at ten if Dan Carter was English?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by G2 Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:01 am

I voted for Carter however I wonder what the voting would be if JW played for NZ & DC for England?

The team they play in also impacts on the player

G2

Back to top Go down

Post by screamingaddabs Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:27 am

Obviously it's Dan Carter at the moment.

JW is still a very, very good player though, and in his prime (which he may re-find soon if we're lucky) he is superb. His performance in 2002 vs NZ was incredible for instance. The French (who know a thing or two about back play) absolutely love him in Toulon and I've often heard that the French would pick him in a heart beat if he was eligible for them, so I think a lot of the "he can't run a back line" stuff you hear is rubbish.

In this comparison though he is up against the best back to have ever played the game (in my opinion) so unfortunately he loses out.
screamingaddabs
screamingaddabs

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:09 am

luckless_pedestrian wrote:The best way to answer the question is to think who you'd want to play outside half for your team. It's Dan Carter any day of the week.

Can England fans say honestly that they would rather have Jonny Wilkinson at ten if Dan Carter was English?

I'd prefer the Wilkinson of 01-03 in my team to today's DC. I'd prefer today's DC to today's JW.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:23 am

Is this one of those "example" questions you get at the start of an exam just to make sure everyone gets at least one mark?
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:40 am

As much as I like Wilkinson I'd rate Carter higher, but Carter is surrounded by better players most of the time so its not clear cut.

Maybe if Carter came to Bath for a season or two I could give a true answer.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:09 pm

offload wrote:Is this one of those "example" questions you get at the start of an exam just to make sure everyone gets at least one mark?

You made a funny! laughing
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:11 pm

Haha Hersh spewing you got Donald instead? Don't worry he's a solid domestic player just not up to internationals.

Carter in his pomp was better than JW in his pomp-still a more complete player. Though Wilko was perfect for the 03 England team.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:35 pm

I'm happy with Donald Very Happy , his a solid player who has a lot to prove and he won't get picked by NZ, so his around all year, plus his a big lad 6.3/4 and 15 odd stone.

He'll do well for Bath

HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:03 pm

I think we're all forgetting that Shane Geraghty is far better than both players.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:08 pm

EnglishReign wrote:Wilko, all day long.

Unfortunately for him, most the world cup games will be played in the evening.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:19 pm

EnglishReign wrote:
luckless_pedestrian wrote:The best way to answer the question is to think who you'd want to play outside half for your team. It's Dan Carter any day of the week.

I'd prefer the Wilkinson of 01-03 in my team to today's DC. I'd prefer today's DC to today's JW.

And 05-06 DC tops all of the above ...
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:23 pm

Despite the apostrophe in the question, I'm assuming the question is who is better, not who was better. If that's the case, then the answer has to be Dan Parks. Sorry, Dan Carter.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:24 pm

The man that tops all of them Earl Rose. Yahoo
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by greenandpleasantland Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:53 pm

biltongbek wrote:The man that tops all of them Earl Rose. Yahoo

Ooohhhh...i shall not put what my Lions supporting friend thinks about Mr. Rose but i'm sure you can imagine!

greenandpleasantland

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:57 pm

greenandpleasantland wrote:
biltongbek wrote:The man that tops all of them Earl Rose. Yahoo

Ooohhhh...i shall not put what my Lions supporting friend thinks about Mr. Rose but i'm sure you can imagine!

I am glad you got that!

Yeah that is pretty much how most of us feel. thumbsdown nope tomato
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by greenandpleasantland Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:58 pm

Yes...but according to Mr De Villiers he's the Tiger Woods of rugby.....perhaps PDV knows something about Mr Rose we don't know....it might explain why he's absolute rubbish!

greenandpleasantland

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:59 pm

I always thought PDV knew something about Earl's mother? Sorry
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by greenandpleasantland Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:01 pm

biltongbek wrote:I always thought PDV knew something about Earl's mother? Sorry

Genius!!!!! Very Happy

greenandpleasantland

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next