The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Autumn International Team of the week

+9
jelly
Luckless Pedestrian
BigTrevsbigmac
Biltong
bedfordwelsh
Scratch
Sidestep
Cowshot
maestegmafia
13 posters

Go down

Autumn International Team of the week  Empty Autumn International Team of the week

Post by maestegmafia Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:41 am

This is Planet Rugby's suggestion

What is yours???

International Team of the Week

15 Willie le Roux (South Africa): An excellent try scored, another created, no mistakes made...if Heyneke Meyer isn't convinced that Le Roux deserves a spot in his World Cup squad, then we're not sure what more the Cheetahs flyer can do.

14 Sofiane Guitoune (France): Philippe Saint-André has been singing the praises of the Perpignan wing, who scored a try with his first touch of the ball in Test rugby before setting up another as he converted his form at club level on the international stage. A mention too for Fiji wing Timoci Nagusa who scored twice.

13 Cory Allen (Wales): Warren Gatland's face in the coaching box said it all as he watched the young Cardiff Blues centre take to Test rugby like a duck to water. Allen ran well against the Pumas and formed a decent partnership with Scott Williams in the absence of Jonathan Davies. It's unfortunate that a suspected dislocated shoulder has taken the gloss off what would have been a memorable debut for the 20-year-old.

12 Ma'a Nonu (New Zealand): In recent seasons, Nonu has added intelligence, guile and a deft kicking game to his renowned physicality. He was typically abrasive at Twickenham, bagging an assist and chipping in with eleven tackles. A mention too for Australia's Matt Toomua, who has slotted seamlessly into the 12 jersey from fly-half, and continues to improve at Test level after a tough start to his international career.

11 Julian Savea (New Zealand): With 18 tries from 19 Test starts, Savea is undoubtedly one of the hottest properties on the world scene. A mention for Wallabies flyer Nick Cummins, who scored a try and made 95 metres with ball in hand.

10 Quade Cooper (Australia): What a turnaround this man has made from his "toxic" remarks. Now one of Ewen McKenzie's most trusted lieutenants, Cooper is rediscovering his best international form. Against Ireland on Saturday, he threatened aplenty with his distribution and flat gain-line play, and snuck over for a try thanks to confusion in the home defence.

9 Mike Phillips (Wales): Was that his best performance in the red jersey? It might well have been as the club-less Phillips scored a nice breakaway score that saw him intelligently dummy Santiago Cordero. His assist for George North was also well timed as, love him or hate, he played well. A mention for Fourie du Preez.

8 Kieran Read (New Zealand): Surely has to be the IRB Player of the Year after another try-scoring performance for the All Blacks. It was his sixth try in his last six Tests while he also set up Julian Savea with a superb offload close to the sideline. We must also give mentions to Wales' Toby Faletau and South Africa's Duane Vermeulen after both number eights were impressive against Argentina and Scotland respectively.

7 Michael Hooper (Australia): Continues to stand tall in this Wallaby pack. Hooper was a stand-out for Australia during the Rugby Championship and was finally rewarded with a couple of crossings in Dublin on Saturday, his first for his country. Difficult to believe he is still just 22 years old.

6 Tom Wood (England): Amid a titanic effort up front from the England pack, Wood stood out as one of the All Blacks' tormentors-in-chief. The Northampton flanker won a couple of turnovers, offered himself tirelessly as a carrying option, and was a reliable source of line-out possession with five takes at Twickenham. Elsewhere, Willem Alberts turned in a hugely effective performance at Murrayfield, making some massive carries and bagging a try to boot. In fact, he was so impressive that he was substituted at half-time in preparation for next week's clash with France.

5 Flip van der Merwe (South Africa): South Africa's touring squad has four 'number 4' locks but Van der Merwe has done an excellent job in his new role, marshalling the all-conquering Bok line-out. 16 tackles against Scotland made for a bruising afternoon. Mentions too for Courtney Lawes and Sam Whitelock, the latter making a staggering 19 hits.

4 Joe Launchbury (England): The Wasps stalwart is growing into the role as England's enforcer and stood up well against the All Blacks' highly-rated second-row of Sam Whitelock and Brodie Retallick. Was at the coalface of England's forward effort - especially his clean-outs at the rucks and was rewarded with his second try in as many weeks.

3 Dan Cole (England): Another one of England's tight-five who impressed with a high work-rate in their loss to the world champions at Twickenham. Cole made his presence felt with a solid scrummaging display against first Tony Woodcock and Wyatt Crockett and put his body on the line with a handful of tackles. Just beats out Welshman Rhodri Jones, who impressed in the scrums against Pumas strong man Marcos Ayerza.

2 Stephen Moore (Australia): Was one of the Wallabies' best players in the victory over Ireland in Dublin. Impressed in his core duties, especially his scrummaging and throwing at the line-outs but also did his bit in the loose. Set up a try for Nick Cummins and also made nine hits on defence. England's Dylan Harltey also deserves a mention after a hard-working effort against New Zealand.

1 James Slipper (Australia): The Wallaby front-row has endured plenty of criticism after some below-par displays in the scrums this season. Slipper, in particular, was constantly in the firing line - especially during the Rugby Championship - but he put on an impressive scrummaging display against Ireland as he got the better of his personal duel with Mike Ross and did well on defence with eight tackles.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Autumn International Team of the week  Empty Re: Autumn International Team of the week

Post by Cowshot Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:31 pm

From the games I know enough about I'd agree I think, though van der Merwe must have been magnificent against Scotland to keep out Lawes. And I thought Marler just made his career in the top flight and Hartley took HIS game to a new and higher level. MUCH higher. Slipper and Moore beat an Ireland that didn't seem to know if it was coming or going and while did all they could do I'm sure, I just rate the English duo's achievements more highly.

Er, so actually I MOSTLY agree Very Happy 

Cowshot

Back to top Go down

Autumn International Team of the week  Empty Re: Autumn International Team of the week

Post by Sidestep Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:35 pm

Thought Hibbard was awesome for Wales this weekend and last.

Sidestep

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:58 pm

Sidestep wrote:Thought Hibbard was awesome for Wales this weekend and last.  
agreed completely, he is a huge fringe chopper and carries well

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:14 pm

Thats the one change I would make, thought he was absolutely awesome and some of his hits - ouch.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:54 pm

I reckon they missed Willem Alberts' performance completely.

the man has been a monster not only this weekend but the past two weekends.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:57 pm

Biltong wrote:I reckon they missed Willem Alberts' performance completely.

He does get an honoury mention Bil and as usual the backrow positions across all nations are hugely competitive at the moment. Fatletau was immense for us and I also thought Warburton had a good game at 6.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:59 pm

Hartley & Lawes have been immense & should have silenced any doubters.

Still 2 games to go for some players so maybe a bit premature?

Time for MP to fall off the wagon Wink

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:29 pm

Scratch wrote:
He could do with having his fringe chopped.

Tumbleweed

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by jelly Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:07 am

Biltong wrote:I reckon they missed Willem Alberts' performance completely.

He does very clearly get mentioned. Plus, there is a big difference between a half against Scotland and a full game against NZ.

jelly

Back to top Go down

Post by Slow and Sedate Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:14 am

Although I didn't see the full game - switching between the Ire v Aus match - a number on Tongans looked worthy of mentions, especially in the backs. The Scrum half took it to the French, certainly until binned, and the 13, who I think is Charles Pinatao's brother, seemed to break the French line almost at will and I would put him in the team of the week.

Slow and Sedate

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:47 am

Robshaw unlucky not to at least get mentioned in passing, as is Billy V. Mike Brown has also had an outstanding 3 matches.

I also have to say Hartley has completely changed my opinion of him based on the last 2 matches - previously I thought he was an outstanding club player who struggled to make the step up to test level, and whose temper got in the way, but he was outstanding. Had it not been for his injury, we could even have been talking about another England win over the ABs (Youngs missed throws were momentum killers at the time when we somewhat on top).

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:01 am

Allen had a strong debut, would have had Scott Williams over him though for the centres.

I would have had Hibbard or Hartley in the 2 jersey also.

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:00 am

Comfort wrote:Allen had a strong debut, would have had Scott Williams over him though for the centres.

I would have had Hibbard or Hartley in the 2 jersey also.

Moore was in great form so i can see why he was selected, tough call over Hibbard and Hartley but I would say it is a fair call for his work in open play.

A lot of difficult calls, there were some very good performances. Glad to see Tom Wood recognised, he was sensational against the ABs and fully deserves his recognition.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:15 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
Scratch wrote:
He could do with having his fringe chopped.

Tumbleweed
his fringe his fine but his Klinsman mullet is a shocker

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:15 am

Comfort wrote:I would have had Hibbard or Hartley in the 2 jersey also.
That would be a tight fit!

Hibbard and Hartley had very good games but Moore was a class above. His all-round game and distribution (for a hooker) is excellent.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down