The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+28
kouchi
Hibbz
hend085
Shotrock
BlueCoverman
golfermartin
Plunky
Doc
Bob_the_Job
I'm never wrong
puligny
dynamark
barragan
Roller_Coaster
westisbest
MustPuttBetter
lorus59
beninho
SmithersJones
JAS
pedro
1GrumpyGolfer
Davie
kwinigolfer
raycastleunited
navyblueshorts
McLaren
mystiroakey
32 posters

Page 5 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 5 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by MontysMerkin Tue 03 Dec 2013, 2:01 pm

First topic message reminder :

That's why these pursuits should be undertaken in videogames and not in real life. Real life has a nasty habit of finding you out to be the hopeless loser you don't think you are.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by SmithersJones Fri 13 Dec 2013, 10:42 pm

Yet another school shooting in the US. Anniversary of Sandy Hook tomorrow, and already several attempts to tighten gun laws in the wake of that terrible day have been quashed. What on earth is it going to take to make Americans more scared of guns than they apparently are of the potential absence of guns?
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 14 Dec 2013, 1:09 am

Smithers,
It's an unbelievably, incomprehensibly toxic issue here, even in Vermont which is usually regarded as the most "liberal" (not what we'd call liberal but everything's relative) State. But we have wide open gun laws which there's no will to do anything about.
Incredible.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sun 15 Dec 2013, 11:06 pm

Suspect it would take something incredibly abhorrent even by U.S. standards or maybe mass murder of Representatives'/Senators' family members to change anything and even then, I'd be surprised.
The U.S. attitude to firearms is mind-numbingly stupid.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sun 15 Dec 2013, 11:35 pm

On top of the thousands killed in the US, you can add the thousands killed in Mexico. 90%+ are killed by firearms purchased in the US.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon 16 Dec 2013, 11:15 am

Any Spurs fans out there? AVB is gone
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 16 Dec 2013, 1:25 pm

Bit of a bum draw for Arsenal.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 16 Dec 2013, 1:27 pm

there own fault for not topping the group.

But they still have a sniff. They have a good record v german teams away. And are playing great footy. Its not a foregone conclusion that one. far from it- although Bayern are favs for the whole thing let alone v Arsenal.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Mon 16 Dec 2013, 1:39 pm

After being 11-0 down against City and Liverpool I'm not surprised AVB out of the door. Not hugely palatable to Board or fans.

That's not to say I think he should go, if you're investing £100m plus in a transfer window together with a bit of an overhaul of first team + tactics you need time and it's not as if they're pushing at the trap door down the wrong end of the table.

Still Mr Levy is entitled to hire and fire as he sees fit. Wonder if there's a wry smile on Abramovich's face though.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon 16 Dec 2013, 1:48 pm

Director of Football must be such an easy job. When the players come good its because you scouted them and signed them, when the players struggle then the manager gets the boot. AVB carries the can, but Baldini signed the players, why is he not being sacked. Same at West Brom and Sunderland, the DOF just carries on. England is becoming like Italy and Spain, apart from the actual good football played, and decent national team.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Mon 16 Dec 2013, 2:19 pm

.. the weather, the women, the food, the style....
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Mon 16 Dec 2013, 2:42 pm

Bob_the_Job wrote:.. the weather, the women, the food, the style....
Have you not seen what the beautiful young italian and spanish women turn into? shudder
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 16 Dec 2013, 2:45 pm

If anyone thinks better football is played in spain or italy then more fool them

we also have great food in this country. That myth has passed, and we have many Italian and Spanish women here as well Wink

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon 16 Dec 2013, 4:54 pm

We still play a very British style of play. Its exciting at times but not always good quality. Fans still shout that it needs to go forward quickly. Food in Italy and Spain pisses all over British food..even a tikka masala.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Mon 16 Dec 2013, 5:04 pm

I had a big mac in barcelona and it was bloody awful.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 16 Dec 2013, 5:52 pm

beninho wrote:We still play a very British style of play. Its exciting at times but not always good quality. Fans still shout that it needs to go forward quickly. Food in Italy and Spain pisses all over British food..even a tikka masala.

you need to start shopping in better places and eating in better restaurants mate thats all I can say.

I would say that some of the best if not the best food I have ever had is in Italy, but certainly not Spain. But you really need to look at what we have over here these days. You live in a time warp- And the only indian restaurants with michelen stars are in london! so another fail

You also clearly haven't been watching arsernal or citeh play this season either./

Open you eyes and nose and mouth a bit more mate. You are stuck in the past

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon 16 Dec 2013, 6:01 pm

What's where I shop got to do with anything? What are the British restaurants selling quality British food? I have had better meals in Spain then Italy. But that's depending on what you like. Tapas in boqueria markets was one of the best meals ever. And yep arsenal play good football. City play powerful football. But in the Spanish leagues most teams try and play more football then the English league. Football fans like attacking football and loads of chances and getting it forward early. That's why we cannot do well at national level. Other countries like a more patient build up.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 16 Dec 2013, 6:04 pm

I love tapas- and yet the best tapas i have ever had is in this country(and i have been all over Spain)

Sorry you need to start appreciating the quality restaurants and produce in this country.

You clearly cant be or you wouldn't have such an outdated view.

And no that is not the reason we dont do well at international level(germany play with power and precision not slow build up).. There are many more variables its not so simple.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 16 Dec 2013, 6:09 pm

Just paid 14 quid for a sandwich at a norwegian airport. Better than a British one though

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon 16 Dec 2013, 6:17 pm

I live in north London I am not in a cultural backwater. I like resteraunts just prefere food other then traditional British food. I don't like Sunday roasts much. But I like pasta or risotto or good tapas. I don't see what is so outdated on my opinions on food. I embrace all other tastes and specialities so it's anything but outdated. Britain may have moved on but there is still a lot of meat and veg or cooked breakfast going on. But then if we all liked the same things and had the same views everyone would be wearing the same clothes and agreeing on everything. That would be dull.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon 16 Dec 2013, 6:17 pm

I had kofte sandwichs in turkey..amazing!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 16 Dec 2013, 6:20 pm

The thing I dont like about the revival of the British restaurant is idiots like oliver and smug self loving  and worlds most stupid name Heston Blumenthal.  Truly hateful chumps who wont get a penny of my cash.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon 16 Dec 2013, 6:24 pm

Jamie loves British food so much he opens a chain of Italian resteraunts. He is a bit of a Muppet. All the chefs go on about British produce like everybody gives a Poopie. Make it nice and I don't care if it's from a well looked after cow or not.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Mon 16 Dec 2013, 8:07 pm

Still trying to get a ticket for LCFC v Man City tomorrow.Allocations a bit messy.
Food wise I can remember when the height of sophistication was a Berni Inn ,prawn cocktail rump steak and black forest gateau washed down with a bottle of blue nun.Mind it usually did the trick if you know what I mean(sorry gael).Best wishes to all and sundry lets keeo the show on the road.Couldnt help noticing the first real event on the Et is the Spanish mid may assuming they can find a course and sponsor.
My course is up for sale again ,couple of offers in allegedly but hard to know the true state of play

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 16 Dec 2013, 8:51 pm

beninho wrote:I live in north London I am not in a cultural backwater. I like resteraunts just prefere food other then traditional British food. I don't like Sunday roasts much. But I like pasta or risotto or good tapas. I don't see what is so outdated on my opinions on food. I embrace all other tastes and specialities so it's anything but outdated. Britain may have moved on but there is still a lot of meat and veg or cooked breakfast going on. But then if we all liked the same things and had the same views everyone would be wearing the same clothes and agreeing on everything. That would be dull.

not sure what you mean benhio- you were never once talking about traditional cooking were you.

You said the food is better in Italy and Spain in a way that the food here is rubbish. No its not rubbish, people just need to learn how to cook. We have amazing produce- Stop thinking about the old school meat and to veg. Our food is a fusion these days.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 16 Dec 2013, 8:52 pm

beninho wrote:Jamie loves British food so much he opens a chain of Italian resteraunts. He is a bit of a Muppet. All the chefs go on about British produce like everybody gives a Poopie. Make it nice and I don't care if it's from a well looked after cow or not.

well that has just shown you up then. You haven't got a scooby. It is all about the ingredients and any top British, Italian or Spanish chef will tell you the same!!. Jamie's restaurants are very good for a chain restaurant as well. Amazing quality and service for the price.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue 17 Dec 2013, 6:56 am

What an absolute hammering by the aussies. It's like the ashes results from my formative years..only worse as this time I had expectations! Time to move on some of the old guard.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Tue 17 Dec 2013, 8:41 am

beninho wrote:I live in north London I am not in a cultural backwater.
 Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh 
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Tue 17 Dec 2013, 10:41 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-25412487  Laugh  Laugh  Laugh  Laugh  Laugh  Laugh  Laugh  Laugh  Laugh  Laugh  Laugh  Laugh  Laugh  Laugh  Laugh  Laugh  Laugh  Laugh  Laugh  Laugh  Laugh  Laugh  Laugh  Laugh  Laugh  Laugh  Laugh  Laugh  Laugh  Laugh  Laugh 
Golf angle - happened in a golf shop.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 17 Dec 2013, 10:46 am

MontysMerkin wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-25412487  Laugh  Laugh  Laugh  Laugh  Laugh  Laugh  Laugh  Laugh  Laugh  Laugh  Laugh  Laugh  Laugh  Laugh  Laugh  Laugh  Laugh  Laugh  Laugh  Laugh  Laugh  Laugh  Laugh  Laugh  Laugh  Laugh  Laugh  Laugh  Laugh  Laugh  Laugh 
Golf angle - happened in a golf shop.

Was he after a Taylor Made Burner?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue 17 Dec 2013, 11:01 am

What terrorist fire bombs nowadays? Thought it was all about suicide bombing. The Irish need to step up their game.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Tue 17 Dec 2013, 11:23 am

mystiroakey wrote:

I would say that some of the best if not the best food I have ever had is in Italy, but certainly not Spain. But you really need to look at what we have over here these days. You live in a time warp- And the only indian restaurants with michelen stars are in london! so another fail

You also clearly haven't been watching arsernal or citeh play this season either./

Open you eyes and nose and mouth a bit more mate. You are stuck in the past

Mysti you are taking a very narrow, actually elite, view. Yes Britain (well London really) has some of the best restaurants in the world. A broad range of global culinary influences and a healthy collection of michelin stars. Also, England has some great football teams, the top of the prem is contested by some real heavyweight teams with world class players.

But YOU need to open YOUR eyes and look beyond the elite.

Valencia regularly play in the Champions League and despite being bankrupt seem to consistently produce quality teams. A team like Athletic Bilbao can play an attractive brand of football that sees them regularly competing in Europe, with a squad made up entirely of local lads. There's no English team that could compete by fielding 11 English players. Beninho is right... go to a football match in this country and listen to the crowd urging the players to get it forward instead of retaining possession.

And as for food, after watching Athletic Bilbao or Valencia you could wander into any local restaurant and have delicious good quality food at a reasonable price, with top notch local produce. I've been to a lot of the top restaurants in London but some of the best food I've ever eaten has been fresh local seafood in local restaurants in La Coruna, or paella by the beach in Valencia. What decent food are you going to get outside the Britannia or the Stadium of Light?

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 17 Dec 2013, 11:26 am

"Mysti you are taking a very narrow, actually elite, view"

I would say i am actually the complete opposite of that comment.

You need to open your eyes. I have called someone up because they hold on to old school stereotypes that are nonsense today.

You have just followed on with your nonsense by talking down certain areas of the UK. I have never once talked down another nation. Start looking about -THERE IS ALOT you are missing out on in your own country.

you also clearly dont watch lower end teams like swansea or norwich- that pride possession.

The PL is great, as the food in the UK is.

Do you know why.

Because we arnt narrow minded, we are a cultural mixing pot, in regards to our football and our food and our culture

Last edited by mystiroakey on Tue 17 Dec 2013, 11:30 am; edited 3 times in total

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue 17 Dec 2013, 11:28 am

BBC news wrote:"He appeared to move something underneath his jacket and seconds later a large flame ignited inside his coat and engulfed his head and shoulders as he attempted to put the flames out with his hands,"
thankfully, his shampoo was the only victim
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 17 Dec 2013, 11:29 am

incontinentia wrote:
BBC news wrote:"He appeared to move something underneath his jacket and seconds later a large flame ignited inside his coat and engulfed his head and shoulders as he attempted to put the flames out with his hands,"
thankfully, his shampoo was the only victim

One way to get rid of dandruff.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Tue 17 Dec 2013, 11:31 am

From the description in the report it sounds like it was Darren Clarke who burst into flames. Maybe he was there flogging his tacky dunlop gear and his cigarette accidently set fire to the cheap shell suit he was advertising?

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue 17 Dec 2013, 11:40 am

To be fair you can come straight out the Britannia and they have a Harvester. Hunters Chicken, Chicken and ribs and all you can eat from the salad bar. Its luxury dining in Stoke on Trent.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 17 Dec 2013, 11:44 am

That is exactly the type of comment i would expect from you Benhio.

Look about, do some research, check out reviews online.. You will find a place i am sure.

I am sure its harder to find a place decent from a place like that than it is from were i live. But come on you are making this stereotypes about what exactly. You can get anything you want in this country if you look and/or learn to cook.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Tue 17 Dec 2013, 11:44 am

beninho wrote:To be fair you can come straight out the Britannia and they have a Harvester. Hunters Chicken, Chicken and ribs and all you can eat from the salad bar. Its luxury dining in Stoke on Trent.

Pretty sure they have a McDonalds as well... international cuisine, what a cultural melting pot.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Tue 17 Dec 2013, 11:46 am

mystiroakey wrote:
I am sure its harder to find a place decent from a place like that than it is from were i live.

What does that even mean?  Headscratch

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 17 Dec 2013, 11:46 am

raycastleunited wrote:
beninho wrote:To be fair you can come straight out the Britannia and they have a Harvester. Hunters Chicken, Chicken and ribs and all you can eat from the salad bar. Its luxury dining in Stoke on Trent.

Pretty sure they have a McDonalds as well... international cuisine, what a cultural melting pot.

you dont think they have shoddy chains and fast food restaurants in spain /headsgone. You are not forced to go to these places

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 17 Dec 2013, 11:46 am

raycastleunited wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:
I am sure its harder to find a place decent from a place like that than it is from were i live.

What does that even mean?  Headscratch

bad english sorry.

I meant I am sure its harder to find a decent place to eat in a place like stoke than it is where I live- but still you will find a place if you do some research

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 17 Dec 2013, 11:50 am

Ben , Ray,

Do you guys really believe the narrow minded nonsense you speak. Or do you just not go any where different other than where your parents took you as a child?

Have you not tried to cook anything yourselfs?

and when you watch football do you just get VHS's of old division 1 games?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Tue 17 Dec 2013, 11:59 am

The point is Mysti is that you are looking at the best of what England has to offer, which is very good, but isn't representative of the country. As you say yourself, it requires considerable research to track down.

I am talking about the average, the typical meal in a typical restaurant, which represents many million more meals than the top end. In the same way that the "average" Spanish professional footballer has a much higher technical level of skill than his English counterpart. A lot of people in England (and even more in Scotland) eat rubbish food as the norm. That's why the "average" English girl is chubby and less attractive than the average spanish senorita.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 17 Dec 2013, 12:03 pm

raycastleunited wrote:The point is Mysti is that you are looking at the best of what England has to offer, which is very good, but isn't representative of the country. As you say yourself, it requires considerable research to track down.

I am talking about the average, the typical meal in a typical restaurant, which represents many million more meals than the top end. In the same way that the "average" Spanish professional footballer has a much higher technical level of skill than his English counterpart. A lot of people in England (and even more in Scotland) eat rubbish food as the norm. That's why the "average" English girl is chubby and less attractive than the average spanish senorita.

Jesus Ray, if you're having a go at Oakey for statements that aren't representative then you just made a pretty big one there.
A lot of people when thinking about Scotland, instantly think Glasgow, which is the area with the most depravation, heart disease and worst diets and think the whole country must be like that. Much of the rest of the country is nothing like that. Infact Edinburgh and Aberdeen are two of the most prosperous cities in the UK.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 17 Dec 2013, 12:12 pm

I have never been brought up like that ray.

Yes I was a bit privileged. But I was cooking from the age of 5. We never ate junk food. I have allways appreciated good quality food.

That is not abnormal from where I come from. Yes the south east is like a different country, but it also has a huge population as well.

I have allways struggled to find good food in Spain or Portugal. They are disadvantaged by the lack of grazing but still it truly isn't as easy as you are pointing out to even find decent fish dishes.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue 17 Dec 2013, 12:17 pm

I would say even with good research a to find a good place to eat in most places that make up the city of Stoke on Trent, would be difficult. Though as you venture out towards the staffordshire Moorlands and peak district or Newcastle, there are decent places. Mainly Pubs which do good home cooked food, and if you like big portions of heart food, and a roast on a sunday, then it would be right up someones street. Ive had decent enough meals in the North Staffordshire region, and even got married in an old country pub. And very nice it was. But if you are looking for fine dining and fusion food, you would stay away, and pretty much have to look in affluent areas or big cities. Which i think is the difference between the UK and other parts of the world.

Though its just my opinion, and I am happy for people to think other things. I would not call them narrow minded if they did not agree.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 17 Dec 2013, 12:20 pm

Ben. My problem with you is that you said the food is worse here. Surely if you want to eAt paella or pasta every other day you can just cook it your self? The ingredients are here. And in regards to good restaurants, yes you may have to pay more, but that is life when you live within a more affluent country

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue 17 Dec 2013, 12:21 pm

And to answer the rest of the question, yep i cook myself, i quite enjoy it. Though not overly skilled.

And i do not watch football on VHS, but i do watch the prem when its on, and i watch the Spanish league when its on. And i think the standard of football is better as you go deeper in the Spanish league. Not saying they have better players, as they do not have as much money as in England. But we have some woeful teams in the Premier league. I have watched a lot of stoke over the years, and by god they have been shocking...but effective.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue 17 Dec 2013, 12:29 pm

To be fair it was a throwaway comment, but in my opinion i prefere Mediterranean cuisine in comparison to whats classed as English food. I like Pasta, Paella, Rissoto, seafood, but its just my opinion. If choosing to go out for a meal in England, it would be to an Italian/Spanish restaurant, and we have a lovely Portuguese bistro down the road. But again its just what i like. I really dont see what impact it has? Different people with different tastes.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 17 Dec 2013, 12:30 pm

The lower end quality of the prem is much higher than the lower spainsih teams. That is very noticeable when you check out the stats and relationships .

The spainsih teams have a very defined way of playing.
In England there are many styles competing against each other.

Spain have more technical players but not overall better players or better teams. I enjoy watching the odd Spanish game. But you can't beat the prem for excitement and varience of clashing styles.

There is also a massive stereotype that the English pass the ball less. I read a piece the other day explaining that in fact more long balls are played in la liga than the Prem.

It seems very hard to shake a stereotype . But it amazes me that even Brits still can't see what is in front of there eyes.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next