The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2015 50 Over WC Qualifying

5 posters

Go down

2015 50 Over WC Qualifying Empty 2015 50 Over WC Qualifying

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Thu 23 Jan 2014, 08:32

A small update!

Final Phase for next year’s 50 Over World Cup Qualifying is currently going on in New Zealand.  With the Ireland and Afghanistan already qualified the remaining top 10 Associate nations are trying to claim the final two places for Australia 2015.  Not only are World Cup places at stake, but also vital ODI status and the funding that goes with it, is being won (and lost).

In Group A, Scotland, UAE and Hong Kong all have qualified for the super sixe stage, all carrying 2 points.   Nepal failed to live up to their T20 form and lost all four games, whilst the biggest losers in the group were Canada who failed to make it through and with that will lose their ODI Status.  

In the other group the tournament favourites Netherlands have lost overnight in a do or die game against Kenya.  Kenya chasing down the 266 required in the 36 overs needed to pip the Dutch on net run rate, with that Kenya progress and the Dutch go out and like Canada lose the ODI status.  Uganda were the group also rans, with Papua New Guinea and Namibia topping the group with 3 wins each.

Super Six stage sees the Group A qualifiers taking on their Group B counterparts.  Papua New Guinea go in with Four points and are well placed, Kenya start on zero points, having lost to PNG and Namibia in the group stages.  Hong Kong, Scotland, UAE and Namibia all start with two points.

Top two qualify for the final and also the 2015 World Cup.  ICC have still to decide wither all six or just the top four earn ODI status, so until that is sorted a top four place is vital.

From a Scottish point of view well done to Callum MacLeod (ex Warwickshire) who became scored the highest Scottish ODI score (175) and the second highest by an Associate batsman against Canada, following up his century against UAE in the previous game.

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

2015 50 Over WC Qualifying Empty Re: 2015 50 Over WC Qualifying

Post by atletico86 Thu 23 Jan 2014, 15:44

Yes I have been following the tournament despite my beloved Ireland's absence; and it has thrown up a few surprises. I think the tournament has demonstrated how competitive associate cricket is & how no match can be taken for granted, apart from the odd mismatch.

Of course the biggest result so far has been Holland not making the Super6s. Although their squad was a bit light, considering the conditions and their past record in qualifying for such tournaments I thought they had a very good chance of qualifying. Before the tournament they lost both their warmup games and it seemed all was not right; however they would have still backed themselves to get to the Super6s, especially given that they were in the weaker group. Going to bed last night seeing they were 132-1 I thought they had done so; given that Kenya would have to chase down whatever figure they posted in rapid time. Therefore when I awoke this morning and saw the result I was shocked. Their non-qualification is disastrous for dutch cricket as it means they lose their ODI status and all the funding that comes with it, as well as the sponsorship that comes from qualification. Whilst although it is only meagre few hundred thousand dollars, relative child’s play compared to 10s of millions which the full members argue over, the dutch rely on it for a number of things such as the running of their development programs and contracting full-time dutch-based professionals. They now basically face financial oblivion and may have to use a new suite of players as some of their current squad don’t meet the development criteria used in ICC regional or World Cricket League events. It could be a long way back!!!! Unfortunately this is what happens in cricket outside of the countries where meaningless ODI series are the norm.

Going forward, I don’t want to curse them (particularly for Dorothy’s sake), but I do fancy Scotland to qualify. NZL conditions & the ODI format suit them best, and they have Preston Mommsen & Freddie Coleman back in the side which I think gives them the best batting lineup in the competition. I think they got over their rustiness in the game against Hong Kong; plus those batters seem in form and they have a couple of more-than-handy bowlers (Haq, wardlaw & Sharif) at associate level. The other team is anyone’s guess, but I fancy it’s going to be between UAE, Hong Kong or Papua New Guinea. I’ll go with UAE though. It gives much amusement that the majority of the games in the Super6s will not have ODI status but if Holland and Canada play one another in the 7th-10th playoffs it will be classed as an ODI. I think this perfectly demonstrates how ludicrous and stupid this status/classist culture is.

Lastly some of the Super6 games are going to be streamed live on the ICC website (Kenya v Hong Kong, Scotland v PNG and PNG v Hong Kong). I need to check though the date and times for each game.

atletico86

Back to top Go down

Post by atletico86 Fri 24 Jan 2014, 10:59

Just to confirm if anyone is interested the games that will be streamed live on the icc website are:
25 Jan 2014 (2130 GMT) Scotland v Namibia
27 Jan 2014 (2130 GMT) PNG v Scotland
29 Jan 2014 (2130 GMT) PNG v Hong Kong
31 Jan 2014 (2130 GMT) Final
Enjoy

atletico86

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Fri 24 Jan 2014, 13:25

I've been following but not all that closely to my eternal shame.

More than a bit shocked by Holland's exit, which just goes to show. Hard to see how they can keep the likes of their better players now, and it could be a real downhill spiral. Or they could invest more in grassroots (some encouraging signs with their schools program) and build back from there.

Great to see PNG doing so well. Given points being carried over they have a really good chance of making the world cup. Tremendous.

Also pleased for Hong-Kong.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by atletico86 Mon 27 Jan 2014, 12:44

So in the last round of games; UAE thumped PNG, Scotland beat Nambia over 2 days due to rain on the 1st and Kenya beat Hong Kong via duckworth lewis.
That means UAE, PNG and Scotland all have 4 points while the three other teams have 2 points, so still all to play for. I caught a bit of the Scotland game yesterday evening, and Sharif and Majid Haq really impressed with the ball. At one stage it looked like it was going to be a mauling but a young 18yr old called JJ Smit for Nambia came in and hit 38 in no time (including two cover drives for six) to help the Nambia net run rate which could be crucial.
Tonights games are Hong Kong v Nambia, Kenya v UAE and PNG v Scotland. I pick Scotland, Hong Kong and UAE to triumph

atletico86

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Mon 27 Jan 2014, 13:25

atletico86 wrote:So in the last round of games; UAE thumped PNG, Scotland beat Nambia over 2 days due to rain on the 1st and Kenya beat Hong Kong via duckworth lewis.
That means UAE, PNG and Scotland all have 4 points while the three other teams have 2 points, so still all to play for. I caught a bit of the Scotland game yesterday evening, and Sharif and Majid Haq really impressed with the ball. At one stage it looked like it was going to be a mauling but a young 18yr old called JJ Smit for Nambia came in and hit 38 in no time (including two cover drives for six) to help the Nambia net run rate which could be crucial.
Tonights games are Hong Kong v Nambia, Kenya v UAE and PNG v Scotland. I pick Scotland, Hong Kong and UAE to triumph

Run Rate is going to be crucial as its a a very tight competiton with every team left capable of beating the others. Been impressed with how Scotland have played, since their opening loss. Especailly considering the injury to Kyle Coetzer who is our best batsman. If Scotland win tonight, I reckon we will qualify.

ICCs coverage of the games they have streamed has been excellent, considering that its hardly a money generating commerical vechile.

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue 28 Jan 2014, 08:35

UAE and Scotland looking most likely to progress with wins over Kenya and PNG respectively, today. They are both now on 6 points with Hong Kong on 4 after their win over Namibia today.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Tue 28 Jan 2014, 09:07

Linebreaker wrote:UAE and Scotland looking most likely to progress with wins over Kenya and PNG respectively, today. They are both now on 6 points with Hong Kong on 4 after their win over Namibia today.

Its a massive round of games coming up. UAE (v Namibia) and Scotland (v Kenya) have both booked ODI status for the next few years which is crucial, but both know a win and they are in the World Cup. Loser of that game could well still be pipped (particularly Scotland) on NRR by the winners of the Hong Kong v PNG match.

Namibia and Kenya both can't make the World Cup but both with wins can scrape into the top four and secure ODI status.

As has been said above the crazy way ICC deal with ODI status at Associate level is highlighted with the fact that yestedays 7th place play off had ODI status, but the final of the competition won't!

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by atletico86 Wed 29 Jan 2014, 22:04

Dorothy_Mantooth wrote:
Linebreaker wrote:UAE and Scotland looking most likely to progress with wins over Kenya and PNG respectively, today. They are both now on 6 points with Hong Kong on 4 after their win over Namibia today.

Its a massive round of games coming up.  UAE (v Namibia) and Scotland (v Kenya) have both booked ODI status for the next few years which is crucial, but both know a win and they are in the World Cup.  Loser of that game could well still be pipped (particularly Scotland) on NRR by the winners of the Hong Kong v PNG match.

Namibia and Kenya both can't make the World Cup but both with wins can scrape into the top four and secure ODI status.

As has been said above the crazy way ICC deal with ODI status at Associate level is highlighted with the fact that yestedays 7th place play off had ODI status, but the final of the competition won't!
Yep all to play for tonite/early morning in nzl. I fancy Scotland & UAE to qualify. the only thing is that Scotland have a tendency to choke and kenya can pull-off a miraculous performance (holland result & only team to beat ireland in qualifying league). But Scotland have the most talented team so I hope for Dorothy's sake they do it.
I think their will be victories for Hong Kong, Scotland & UAE

atletico86

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 30 Jan 2014, 05:28

Scotland has just qualified for the 2015 World Cup with 3 balls to spare.  Yahoo 

Kenya made 260 (50) with 89 runs to Obanda. Scotland got there thanks to Mommsen 78 and Taylor 46* who got them across the line.

UAE are looking safe against Namibia. UAE made 263 and Namibia is 224/7 with 2 overs to go.

PNG made 255/8 in their 50 overs but Hong Kong easily chased it down making 259/7 after only 36.1 overs.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Thu 30 Jan 2014, 08:16

Yesss!!!! Well done Scotland, it was close against Kenya but we throughly deserved to qualify. Finishing the tournament with Six wins on the spin, inlcuding a comfortable victory over the other qualifiers UAE.

Well done to Craig Wright and Paul Collingwood, who have turned Scotlands fortunes around.

Kenya's loss is a painful one as it means the former World Cup semi finalists, lose their ODI status.

Hardlines to Hong Kong who defeated PNG but just missed out on a place in WC15. With Kenya's loss PNG managed to secure ODI status as well.

Scotland and UAE now playoff in the final, which affects world cup seedings etc. Winners of the final join England and Australia, amongst others.

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Thu 30 Jan 2014, 08:27

One interesting point about the UAE team is that none of their X1 from todays game were born or played any form of youth cricket in UAE.

With so many other Associate nations working tirelessly on their Youth Set Up, its a shame that its still possible for some Associate teams to "parachute" entire playing squads in.

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Sat 01 Feb 2014, 05:26

Congrats to Scotland on winning their second ICC WCQ trophy. Seven wins in a row after an opening loss to Hong Kong led them to the final with the UAE. Apart from being in a wee bit of trouble at 37/3 they thereafter controlled the game.

They will be in Englands group along with NZ and Australia for next years WC.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Sat 01 Feb 2014, 11:08

To be fair to the UAE their population in general has something like 80% of people born outside the country.

Anyway well done Scotland and the UAE, although I'm a bit disappointed for HK and PNG.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by atletico86 Sat 01 Feb 2014, 13:49

Well done scotland and UAE, especially Scotland as for me they were the best team throughout the competition and deserved winners. They have finally began to translate their player's talents to team performances under the new management team. Also if they were to flop it was probably better they did so in the T20 qualifier than in this tournament, as they will not face the shortfall in funding the netherlands face.
Dorothy I have lived in the UAE and it is a strange country as people from the subcontinent actually represent the largest ethnic group; the majority of which have only arrived in the last 20 years. Thus the children of these immigrants may produce some decent UAE-born cricketers !!haha Actually their u19 team beat England u19s this year, although I dont know how strong the england team was.
I think for me the player of the tournament was Khurram Khan; hard to believe he is 42 (especially when you look at him!).I have made a list of my team of the tournament also:
1. C MacLeod (SCO)
2. Irfan Ahmed (HKG)
3. L. Siaka
4. Khurram Khan (UAE)
5. P Mommsen (SCO)
6. S Patil (UAE) (Wk)
7. M Chapman (HKG)
8. Haseeb Amjab (HKG)
9. M Haq (SCO)
10. L Klazinga (NAM)
11. A Guruge (UAE)

atletico86