The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Frampton vs Cazares

+4
Strongback
milkyboy
TopHat24/7
hampo17
8 posters

Go down

Frampton vs Cazares Empty Frampton vs Cazares

Post by hampo17 Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:25 pm

By Damien McKinley

Today we heard the announcement that Belfast's own Carl Frampton will take on Mexican veteran and former two weight world champion Hugo Figo Cazares in a WBC final eliminator match up.

It has to be said that this is a wise and bold move for Frampton as for the best part of a year the Northern Irishman has been given the run around by IBF champion and former victim, Kiko Martinez. Also, with Scott Quigg making noises regarding offers his team have made for a challenge of his portion of the WBA belt, it seems that Frampton prefers to fight for a full version of a world title.

A win for either man will see them earn a shot at current WBC kingpin Leo Santa Cruz who like Frampton, is also unbeaten in the paid ranks.

Cazares is unbeaten so far in his Super Bantamweight quest for glory and currently stands at the top of the WBC rankings, with Carl parked right behind him. His most recent loss coming by split decision against Tomonobu Shimizu in 2011 for the WBA Super Flyweight title. The Mexican who turns 36 just days before the bout will be coming with a belated birthday gift in mind and hoping to use his vast experience to derail what has been a fantastic story so far for Frampton in regards to his blistering run of 17 straight wins (12 coming by way of knockout).

February 2013 saw Frampton take massive strides into the upper end of the talent pool in the Super Bantamweight division when he brought Kiko Martinez' European Title reign to a devastating end in the ninth round. In what was undoubtedly Carl's toughest fight to date, it answered a lot of questions about the Tigers Bay native as he was pushed to the limit by an ever game Martinez. But with Frampton slowly starting to control the fight he not only scored a knockout but inflicted the first stoppage of Spaniard Martinez.

Later that year Frampton took on Frenchman Jeremy Parodi in a EBU Title defence. It was business as usual from Carl as he picked off Parodi at will. The Frenchman resorted to survival tactics but that would only guide him to the sixth round at which point a sickening body shot forced Parodi to slump to his knees and be counted out by the referee.

This news could be great for boxing fans in the sense that Frampton and Santa Cruz both seemed fired up to face each other and this fight against Cazares shows that Frampton is willing to climb the rankings in a bid to force a fight with Champion Santa Cruz.

It is unimaginable to think of an upset here as so far Frampton has kept his head firmly screwed on. With trainer Shane McGuigan and manager/mentor Barry McGuigan by his side he should once again show his calm and measured range to see him through this bout. He cannot afford any mistakes as Cazares has been there and done it on many occasions over the years.

Carl Frampton stands at 5ft 5” and Hugo Cazares at 5ft 4”. The Mexican though has the reach advantage (65”) over Frampton (62”).

Best of luck to both for this fight and hopefully the WBC sticks to its word with the winner receiving their shot next.

One thing is for sure, Belfast will once again be rockin' for The Jackal.

http://v2journal.com/16/post/2014/01/frampton-vs-cazares-odyssey-arena-april-4th.html

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Frampton vs Cazares Empty Re: Frampton vs Cazares

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:07 pm

Would love to see him versus Santa Cruz.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:21 am

Tough little hombre cazares and he comes to fight, but he's a career Flyweight, and at 36, you'd expect this would be a fairly straightforward night's work for frampton

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:45 pm

I wonder if McGuigan wants to steer clear of Matchroom and a Quigg fight because they parted ways previously.

The Quigg v Frampton fight will always be there even if Frampton lost to Santa Cruz. McGuigan is a wheeler dealer to the core so will see the commercial options clearly.

Nicely written article btw.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:45 pm

Carl seems to be treading water at the moment.......

Dump Mcguigan is my advice..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:48 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Carl seems to be treading water at the moment.......

Dump Mcguigan is my advice..

He's not going to dump McGuigan, at least not until he loses.

If he fights the top man at SBW this year he's hardly threading water.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:51 pm

Also Frampton as a free agent can go to the States and fight on HBO or Showtime.

Eddie can't match what a fighter from Belfast can make in the States. When he fought Wayne McCullough was the highest paid bantam weight in history.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:51 pm

I agree that if the fight after this isn't Santa CRuz then I will be in the sceptical club (esp with Warren invoved).

But I think Frampton and Santa Cruz genuinely want to fight each other and will make it happen.

I think Quigg is treading even deeper water...he has yet to fight an opponent who has even held any form of world title.

This is Frampton's 3rd fight against world class opposition. Molitor, Martinez & Cazares.

He has a massive fanbase....yet Quigg tries to call the shots.

I said yesterday, as Rigo is moving up, if Frampton wins this and then beats Santa Cruz, would this make him "the man" in the division? And Quigg could become eclipsed if this happens and become the new Junior Witter of Boxing. Hearn needs to be careful because the path Frampton seems to be going down is gonna blow Quiggs out of the water....if it happens that is.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:52 pm

Mcguigan is a pain in the butt............He has a helluva an ego..........and I just worry this kid will be sidetracked by an ego maniac..

Counting the days till he falls out with Warren too.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:52 pm

Dump McGuigan....why?!

He wasn't treading water over on Skysports and Barry was around then.

This was always a possibility when he went over to Frank Warren...more so now that Clev has lost and Frampton is the one significant pay machine that Warren has left. Will milk it for all it's worth now.

The fight isn't even taking place to April....that's a 6 month gap between Parodi & Cazares...a lengthy absence from the ring which just isn't required. I've said numerous times on the podcast that I fear for Frampton's career now he's at boxnation and this kind of announcement just confirms them.

All well & good saying it's a final eliminator for a fight with Leo Santa Cruz...but lets see if that fight takes place afterwards or not...

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:54 pm

Owen how did you get on last night mate?
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:57 pm

He wasn't treading water and then Mcguigan fell out with Hearn.........

Answered your own question..

He'll let his ego get in the way Mate..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:00 pm

Got there late; couldn't log into the V2 twitter account and phone ran out of battery by 9.15 lol! So bit of a disaster!

Did manage to chat with Johnny Nelson, Darren Barker (who has read our farewell article in the magazine), Glenn McCrory (whose rearranging the interview with us) and was sat next to Steve Robinson all show chatting away with him. I'm going to one of his shows on the 14th Feb & also going to arrange an interview with him.

Was a quality night mate and best thing about it when people asked me who I was there for and I said they knew of us and the work were doing which is a great sign!

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:03 pm

Where you sat next to the guys from First Class Boxing mate?

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:06 pm

owen10ozzy wrote:Got there late; couldn't log into the V2 twitter account and phone ran out of battery by 9.15 lol! So bit of a disaster!

Did manage to chat with Johnny Nelson, Darren Barker (who has read our farewell article in the magazine), Glenn McCrory (whose rearranging the interview with us) and was sat next to Steve Robinson all show chatting away with him. I'm going to one of his shows on the 14th Feb & also going to arrange an interview with him.

Was a quality night mate and best thing about it when people asked me who I was there for and I said they knew of us and the work were doing which is a great sign!

Boxers are vain people per se...............I imagine most read to see what's being said.............

Reckon david lee was probably Tyson fury......

Boxers have a lot of downtime..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:12 pm

Yeh I was Paul; great night of action...couldn't have wished for a much better night for our first press accreditation. Lessons learnt though...take camera to save on phone battery...pen & paper in case battery runs out and turn up bit early to load up on drink as once the evenings underway getting to the bar is impossible.

Truss - I'm not sure that many read stuff on 'small sites' such as ours. Major news outlets perhaps yes. Point is all of the sky lads could have easily sat and watched and did their job without mingling too much (enough security who told people plenty of times they weren't available for pictures...but they always went over & posed with people as & when they could). Steve Robinson was a top lad & has great knowledge of the game...called all the fights right; including the stoppage which he said the ref was going to jump in & stop first chance he got.

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:16 pm

Owen you were on TV last night when Ed Robinson was talking. I took a snap and sent it too Paul haha
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:23 pm

owen10ozzy wrote:Yeh I was Paul; great night of action...couldn't have wished for a much better night for our first press accreditation. Lessons learnt though...take camera to save on phone battery...pen & paper in case battery runs out and turn up bit early to load up on drink as once the evenings underway getting to the bar is impossible.

Truss - I'm not sure that many read stuff on 'small sites' such as ours. Major news outlets perhaps yes. Point is all of the sky lads could have easily sat and watched and did their job without mingling too much (enough security who told people plenty of times they weren't available for pictures...but they always went over & posed with people as & when they could). Steve Robinson was a top lad & has great knowledge of the game...called all the fights right; including the stoppage which he said the ref was going to jump in & stop first chance he got.

Fighters have a lot of downtime...and their favorite topic of conversation is themselves usually.. thumbsup 

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:31 pm

Yeh I know mate i've stuck it on twitter! What can I say...even Skysports want a piece of me Yahoo  

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:36 pm

Slightly off topic but Conrad Cummings, who I interviewed last year for the site, has turned pro with McGuigan and is making his debut on this show. One to look out for.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:37 pm

Just to clarify Frampton's only connection to Warren is he fights on his TV platform. Warren does not manage or promote Frampton.

McGuigan hasn't made a mistake yet in a deal involving Frampton.  Eddie's making mistakes left and right with his fighters.

When it comes to doing a deal a clever fox from the horse trading town of Clones verses an Essex rich kid handed a silver spoon, well I know who my money is on.

There is another way in boxing in Britain that doesn't mean being tied to Warren or Hearn.  Haye has gone his own path and so is Groves.  Frampton can do the same, if he wins a title he fights in the States from then on. 

McGuigan knew Kiko wouldn't fight so has moved on to the WBC.  Quigg is a fight that simmers in the background and become a big fight is both own full versions of a belt.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:46 pm

Strongback wrote:Just to clarify Frampton's only connection to Warren is he fights on his TV platform. Warren does not manage or promote Frampton.

McGuigan hasn't made a mistake yet in a deal involving Frampton.  Eddie's making mistakes left and right with his fighters.

When it comes to doing a deal a clever fox from the horse trading town of Clones verses an Essex rich kid handed a silver spoon, well I know who my money is on.

There is another way in boxing in Britain that doesn't mean being tied to Warren or Hearn.  Haye has gone his own path and so is Groves.  Frampton can do the same, if he wins a title he fights in the States from then on. 

McGuigan knew Kiko wouldn't fight so has moved on to the WBC.  Quigg is a fight that simmers in the background and become a big fight is both own full versions of a belt.

Shock; strongback slating Eddie;

Does he ever do anything right in your book Stongback?

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:00 pm

owen10ozzy wrote:
Strongback wrote:Just to clarify Frampton's only connection to Warren is he fights on his TV platform. Warren does not manage or promote Frampton.

Shock; strongback slating Eddie;

Does he ever do anything right in your book Stongback?

I think he's a hot air ballon.  I don't see him hanging around boxing long.  He has already said Matchroom are only in boxing as long as they have the Sky deal. No Sky money and Eddie's gone.

I find Eddie false like a bad used car salesman. Barry is the real deal but has rode rough shod over other sports in the pursuit of self interest.  Barry's cut from the same cloth as Warren albeit a better business man who doesn't take the risks and subsequent falls Warren does.  The likes of Harry Rednapp and Barry Fry are similar in background and mentality.

You criticized the management of Frampton since he left Eddie.  I was putting up a counter argument.

Personally I don't particularly like the mainstream media, promoters or politicians for that matter.  That's why I am critical of Sky and Matchroom/Warren. I do support what you are doing with V2 and I think all you guys involved deserve a lot of credit.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:11 pm

I did read my response and thought; blunt...sorry mate; long night.

I know what you mean regards his position with the whole sky deal...that is a little sad to hear.

I myself have stuck up for Eddie & on the whole don't think he has done much wrong for British boxing thus far...though I will be critical should I see fit...such as allowing Frampton to leave and taking on Quigg (wrong move by him I felt) and also his handling of the whole Groves vs Froch...though again I like the fact he came out and said in a phone interview that Carl had spoken about stuff which he had no understanding of which had muddied the waters slightly.

He has put on some cracking fights; especially domestically and I do think you have to give him credit for the way he has managed some of his fighters. He is bringing Lee Selby along very well; has gotten some of the domestic guys who are never going to be stay at world level some big pay days & fights (Rees, Purdy, Barker). I also like the fact that guys like Buckland etc are getting some exposure and pay days which is nice to see.

He gets a lot of criticism for the way Joshua & the other Olympic guys are progressing; I agree Joshua needs to step it up now definitely...yet lest we forget that last British promoter to have an Olympic medalist attempted to shove him down our throat and sell him as a headliner...Campbell, Joshua are being put out on a regular basis and not always as headline/ppv attractions.

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:49 pm

owen10ozzy wrote:I did read my response and thought; blunt...sorry mate; long night.

I know what you mean regards his position with the whole sky deal...that is a little sad to hear.

I myself have stuck up for Eddie & on the whole don't think he has done much wrong for British boxing thus far...though I will be critical should I see fit...such as allowing Frampton to leave and taking on Quigg (wrong move by him I felt) and also his handling of the whole Groves vs Froch...though again I like the fact he came out and said in a phone interview that Carl had spoken about stuff which he had no understanding of which had muddied the waters slightly.

He has put on some cracking fights; especially domestically and I do think you have to give him credit for the way he has managed some of his fighters. He is bringing Lee Selby along very well; has gotten some of the domestic guys who are never going to be stay at world level some big pay days & fights (Rees, Purdy, Barker). I also like the fact that guys like Buckland etc are getting some exposure and pay days which is nice to see.

He gets a lot of criticism for the way Joshua & the other Olympic guys are progressing; I agree Joshua needs to step it up now definitely...yet lest we forget that last British promoter to have an Olympic medalist attempted to shove him down our throat and sell him as a headliner...Campbell, Joshua are being put out on a regular basis and not always as headline/ppv attractions.

I think there is a bit more balance to people's views of Matchroom now. Their PR campaign was so strong in the beginning they had everybody eating out of their hand. Now there is more critical analysis on Matchrooms decisions and the cards they put on. It wasn't always like that and that fueled my little crusade.  Wink 

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down