The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GGG vs Andy Lee

+22
3fingers
Izzi
John Bloody Wayne
ONETWOFOREVER
KO-KING
88Chris05
Hammersmith harrier
kingraf
owen10ozzy
Seanusarrilius
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Diamond in the rough
JabMachineMK2
Boxtthis
Haito
bellchees
Strongback
catchweight
tommyhearnsprodigalson
KingMonkey
TRUSSMAN66
hampo17
26 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

GGG vs Andy Lee Empty GGG vs Andy Lee

Post by hampo17 Wed 05 Feb 2014, 12:32 pm

Looking likely this fight will happen on the 26th of April after Daniel Geale apparently turned the fight down.

I can see Lee being out of their by the halfway stage.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

GGG vs Andy Lee Empty Re: GGG vs Andy Lee

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 05 Feb 2014, 12:35 pm

Great fight..... but Khan isn't..

I love it..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Wed 05 Feb 2014, 12:37 pm

Could say the same about practically any middleweight if we're being honest. It's not a great fight but when you strip it down you can understand why its happening.

It still irks me we haven't seen any of our middleweights in the ring together.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by tommyhearnsprodigalson Wed 05 Feb 2014, 12:38 pm

i agree with hampo, lee is far too easy to hit GGG knockout in 4

tommyhearnsprodigalson

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 05 Feb 2014, 12:42 pm

Lee for me is the worst of all the Brit prospects at middle..

mismatch. Ko 5

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Wed 05 Feb 2014, 12:45 pm

Golovkin will tear him a new arse hole as he did with Macklin. Lee is fragile and defensively he poor. He wont last 3 rounds.

Golovkin will have to leave Middleweight to get a real fight.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Wed 05 Feb 2014, 12:49 pm

GGG partaking in a bit of cherry picking I see.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Wed 05 Feb 2014, 12:50 pm

Up or down though? Pretty sure we'd all prefer him to step up but is he big enough? Nothing wrong with taking his time and clearing out the division first, surely.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Wed 05 Feb 2014, 12:52 pm

KingMonkey wrote:Up or down though?  Pretty sure we'd all prefer him to step up but is he big enough?  Nothing wrong with taking his time and clearing out the division first, surely.

He's 31 years old.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Wed 05 Feb 2014, 12:54 pm

Not sure how he's cherry picking Strongy, Geale turned down the fight because the Australian network that show his fights are already contracted to show a UFC event that night.

Who else could he have fought in April?

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Wed 05 Feb 2014, 12:55 pm

He will have to go up. Martinez is the only fight for him at middleweight and he doesnt fancy it.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Wed 05 Feb 2014, 1:09 pm

hampo171 wrote:Not sure how he's cherry picking Strongy, Geale turned down the fight because the Australian network that show his fights are already contracted to show a UFC event that night.

A top 10 middleweight would be nice. Strum has nothing lined up.

A step to SMW looks like it will have to happen at some stage.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 05 Feb 2014, 1:13 pm

Strongy thinks Canelo was cherrypicking...

I don't mind as long as we judge all by the same standards...

Frampton turned down QUigg

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed 05 Feb 2014, 1:23 pm

Strongback wrote:
hampo171 wrote:Not sure how he's cherry picking Strongy, Geale turned down the fight because the Australian network that show his fights are already contracted to show a UFC event that night.

A top 10 middleweight would be nice.  Strum has nothing lined up.

The top ten middleweights won't fight him (plus, HBO, who bankroll him, have to agree each fight). GGG wants the champion, Martinez, who won't go near him.

Sturm already passed on GGG. That's the reason he paid Barker so handsomely. The German network said he had to face GGG or an alphabet titlist.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 05 Feb 2014, 1:29 pm

Maybe he should fight Ward..

You don't know Martinez won't go near him...demeaning statement aimed at a great fighter

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed 05 Feb 2014, 1:31 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Maybe he should fight Ward..

You don't know Martinez won't go near him...demeaning statement aimed at a great fighter

Martinez promoter Lou DiBella:

"Sergio will be out for at least a year. You saw his last fight, he won it on guts and will and balls alone. He had no knee, he had no hand, and I'm not sending a champion who is 38-years-old - after a year plus layoff - into a ring with this guy. I'm not saying they will never fight. I'm not speaking for Sergio, who is a grown as man and controls his own career. The successor to Sergio Martinez has already been determined and the next great middleweight is Triple G."

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 05 Feb 2014, 1:42 pm

That's his promoter talking...

It isn't Sergio...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Wed 05 Feb 2014, 1:51 pm

This will be a massacre, surprised if Lee sees the end of the 3rd.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 05 Feb 2014, 1:56 pm

Pass the Brit around middle at the moment....

Good luck to Lee...however GGG may be overrated..Too early to tell

beats Lee though

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Wed 05 Feb 2014, 2:03 pm

Missed out on a potentially cracking domestic rivalry between Macklin, Murray, Lee and Barker. Thats one of the problems with them all chasing various belts. Much rather have seen them fight amongst themselves than against guys like Sturm or getting assraped by Golovkin.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed 05 Feb 2014, 2:03 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:That's his promoter talking...

It isn't Sergio...

Wow.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Haito Wed 05 Feb 2014, 2:07 pm

If Lee can stay out of range and stay with GGG until the latter rounds. It could get interesting but I cant see anything other than a GGG midround KO. Havent seen anything of Lee yet to suggest he belongs at the world stage.
Haito
Haito

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Wed 05 Feb 2014, 2:14 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Great fight..... but Khan isn't..

I love it..

Did anyone say this?

This is disappointing. Andy Lee was bulldozed by JCC jr. He doesn't stand a chance against GGG. I had thought after the Adama fight that GGG would be thrown in with someone more challenging. I was willing to give him a bit of a pass on the choice of Adama if it was a stay busy fight prior to fighting one of the champions. It wasn't.  His only realistically decent fights at MW are Sturm, Geale, Quillan, or Martinez. It's tough to see how he'll get any of them any time soon. GGGs handlers better get him a challenge soon, or fans will switch off to him.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 05 Feb 2014, 2:19 pm

Never said anybody did...Haito I don't thing GGG is the real deal yet IF he ever will be..

Not sure Lee can exploit his robotics though

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Wed 05 Feb 2014, 2:20 pm

Haito wrote:If Lee can stay out of range and stay with GGG until the latter rounds. It could get interesting but I cant see anything other than a GGG midround KO. Havent seen anything of Lee yet to suggest he belongs at the world stage.

Lee actually did ok against JCC jr, but was walked down and bullied. He's outgunned in every department against Golovkin though.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Wed 05 Feb 2014, 2:27 pm

The opponents you've listed boxthis; Martinez is in talks to fight Cotto and Di Bella said they don't go near GGG at the moment, Geale turned down the fight, Quillen doesn't want anything to do with GGG, and I would wager neither does Sturm as he's just signed a massive TV deal that will go up in smoke if he loses.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Wed 05 Feb 2014, 2:31 pm

Golovkin is probably the most avoided boxer out there at the moment. Its a pretty crap division and everyone in it knows they will get a hiding off him.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed 05 Feb 2014, 2:43 pm

Hopefully Martinez will cash out against him and then GGG can crack on at 168.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Wed 05 Feb 2014, 2:55 pm

We can't really claim that GGG is as dominating as some people think without him actually fighting someone world level. At the moment he's just looking great against a tier below. I'd like him to be, and think he could be the defacto MW champion for some time, but until he fights someone at the highest level - its all ifs, buts and maybes.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 05 Feb 2014, 3:11 pm

I agree jab mot really fought a smooth operator yet..looks a little robotic

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Wed 05 Feb 2014, 4:09 pm

hazharrison wrote:
Strongback wrote:

The top ten middleweights won't fight him (plus, HBO, who bankroll him, have to agree each fight). GGG wants the champion, Martinez, who won't go near him.

Sturm already passed on GGG. That's the reason he paid Barker so handsomely. The German network said he had to face GGG or an alphabet titlist.

There is not going to be a better time for Strum to fight GGG as he has just won a belt and isn't getting any younger.  Strum v Golovkin dwarfs any payday Strum is ever going to earn at this stage.

Murray is available and looking for a fight according to his interview on Ringside.  He's done more to deserve a shot than Lee and he might go a few more rounds than Andy. Obviously Murray's in the Top 10.

Why not Quillin?  

Why not a SMW?  

There's got to be a better shout than Lee.  GGG is 31 he needs to step up the quality of opponent.  He's been threading water but still getting a lot of hype in America.  That might quiet down if he stops Lee in three.

Last edited by Strongback on Wed 05 Feb 2014, 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Diamond in the rough Wed 05 Feb 2014, 4:22 pm

GGG the new mattysse except he's fighting lesser opponents smashing them then getting bigged up to the max

Diamond in the rough

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 05 Feb 2014, 4:32 pm

Truss I think you need to call Lee a Brit one more time for Strongy to bite.

Beautiful part of the UK Limerick is
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 05 Feb 2014, 4:40 pm

GGG wins by KO in about 5. Bit worried about GGG not having face top opposition. He's getting too used to feasting on lower class guys, and although a decent opponent, Lee is no world beater. Not blaming GGG for this, but it worries me a little.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed 05 Feb 2014, 6:36 pm

Strongback wrote:
hazharrison wrote:
Strongback wrote:

There is not going to be a better time for Strum to fight GGG as he has just won a belt and isn't getting any younger.  Strum v Golovkin dwarfs any payday Strum is ever going to earn at this stage.

Murray is available and looking for a fight according to his interview on Ringside.  He's done more to deserve a shot than Lee and he might go a few more rounds than Andy. Obviously Murray's in the Top 10.

Why not Quillin?  

Why not a SMW?  

There's got to be a better shout than Lee.  GGG is 31 he needs to step up the quality of opponent.  He's been threading water but still getting a lot of hype in America.  That might quiet down if he stops Lee in three.

Sturm turned him down. Murray turned him down. Quillin is on the wrong side of the TV divide and his brain trust have persuaded him that GGG isn't worth fighting. Martinez isn't ready for him yet. He's offered to drop to 154 to face the champion there (Floyd) but that isn't happening. Geale passed on an April date. Frustrating for him.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 05 Feb 2014, 6:44 pm

What's worrying about GGGs cherry picking antics is, he came straight out of his last win with the announcement that they want Andy Lee in April.

That shows they don't want a challenge. He's shouting from the rooftops about Martinez when he knows full well that Martinez is more or less agreed to fight Cotto.

He has been a title holder for a few years now and has taken on some shocking defences. But everyone on the planet is afraid of him apparantly (according to his team anyhow and people are taking that as gospel).

Peter Quillan said he has yet to receive an offer from his team....why is that to be discredited over Team Triple G saying otherwise.

If Kovalev got to fight Cleverly with HBO behind him then there's no doubt they can bank roll GGG against a big name. But his team says everyone is ducking him so let's just go with that.

Remember everyone was ducking Cleverly, Frank even had emails...where's Golovkins emails haha (that's a joke btw)
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Wed 05 Feb 2014, 6:54 pm

This division is ducking him, its pretty obvious why. They know he wastes them.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed 05 Feb 2014, 7:02 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:What's worrying about GGGs cherry picking antics is, he came straight out of his last win with the announcement that they want Andy Lee in April.

That shows they don't want a challenge. He's shouting from the rooftops about Martinez when he knows full well that Martinez is more or less agreed to fight Cotto.

He has been a title holder for a few years now and has taken on some shocking defences. But everyone on the planet is afraid of him apparantly (according to his team anyhow and people are taking that as gospel).

Peter Quillan said he has yet to receive an offer from his team....why is that to be discredited over Team Triple G saying otherwise.

If Kovalev got to fight Cleverly with HBO behind him then there's no doubt they can bank roll GGG against a big name. But his team says everyone is ducking him so let's just go with that.

Remember everyone was ducking Cleverly, Frank even had emails...where's Golovkins emails haha (that's a joke btw)

You're miles off here.

Quillin: "You know, listen man, does the fight make a lot of sense? He's a serious fighter, a champion, but what is it worth to me? What am I gonna get out of that? I got a team of people gonna advise me that he's not really known in the U.S. What does that mean? They say this guy won't generate money. I don't know what that means."

The names I mentioned above all turned down fights with him.

There's a distinct difference between a fighter not being able to get a fight and one that can fight whoever he pleases but choosing to face opponents they're heavily favoured to beat over tougher challenges.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Wed 05 Feb 2014, 7:02 pm

It's a strange one as GGG certainly doesn't seem like the type to duck anyone and given how we do only have people's words to take then you kind of either lie on one side of the fence or the other..

For me I haven't heard much out of Murray, Sturm, Quillin, Geale or anyone else for that matter regarding them wanting a fight with Golovkin.

I'm not going to read too much into the immediate announcement of them wanting Lee in April because to me that at least suggests that behind the scenes they are continuously attempting to make fights...and are at least keeping him active.

They will probably know more than most whether the Cotto v Martinez fight is set to go ahead...if it is then that rules those two out...the rumours are that Murray withdrew from his content with Fletcher because he has been offered the Sturm fight..Quillin is reportedly being lined up to take on Curtis Stevens...that leaves very few options for GGG.

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed 05 Feb 2014, 7:07 pm

Anyone that claims GGG is ducking anyone is on a wind up. Dude would fight Klitschko.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 05 Feb 2014, 7:31 pm

Golovkin's opponents get what 400-700k? I know boxing has more money lower down than one would like to believe, but I can't imagine too many guys in the division can afford to turn down that sort money.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Wed 05 Feb 2014, 7:39 pm

I'm with Dee on this, I think GGG gets a free pass for his rubbish opposition based almost entirely on his team saying he's being avoided, I don't buy that for a second.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 05 Feb 2014, 7:46 pm

Lou Di Bella has made no effort to deny that he point blank doesn't want to match Martinez with Golovkin. Geale was mandated to fight Golovkin a year or so back by the WBA, and instead chose to vacate the belt and take a fight with Anthony Mundine. Nothing about those statements can be denied, agreed?

Considering that most here are happy to label Fury a ducker over the Price incident, I'm not sure how the same people can then claim with a straight fact that it's Golovkin avoiding the bigger names at Middleweight, rather than them avoiding him.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 05 Feb 2014, 7:50 pm

as I read Lou's comments - "my fighter has just broke his hand done his knee in again, there's no way he's getting into the ring with Golovkin, at this point in time" - you may disagree, but if you're a manager willing to let your charge go off into a fight with GGG, or any relevant fighter, really, having had successive knee surgeries and broken hands, you arent worth your salary...
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Wed 05 Feb 2014, 7:51 pm

GGG TKO inside 6

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 05 Feb 2014, 8:02 pm

Well if Martinez's body is too decrepit to carry on he can always retire, raf. DiBella is happy to have him defend against Cotto and then, if he has his way, Alvarez in 2014, and says he won't allow Martinez to fight Golovkin (if he does at all) until after those two fights.

Even before Martinez crocked himself again against Murray, DiBella had this to say about his man fighting Golovkin. "Who would give a flying one, and why are you even asking? Who knows Golovkin other than you, me and a few people? How many people would he bring to the table? How much money would he generate? He's a very good fighter, but it's a fight which doesn't make economical sense."

But of course, he and Martinez want the fight, and it's Golovkin hiding away in abject terror.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Wed 05 Feb 2014, 8:10 pm

To be honest Chris, it has to make economic sense for Martinez to take the fight, boxing is a business at the end of the day. Fighting the likes of Adama and Lee will not put you in a position to fight the best in the division who can make more money fighting other guys, it's a no brainer really.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 05 Feb 2014, 8:17 pm

How much economic sense did the Murray fight make in comparison to Golovkin, then? Someone is going to have to look at the three or four opponents the likes of Macklin, Murray and Dzinziruk beat immediately before facing Martinez and explain to me how they were enough to put them in line for the fight, but Golovkin's opponent's aren't.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Wed 05 Feb 2014, 8:20 pm

hazharrison wrote:
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:What's worrying about GGGs cherry picking antics is, he came straight out of his last win with the announcement that they want Andy Lee in April.

You're miles off here.

Quillin: "You know, listen man, does the fight make a lot of sense? He's a serious fighter, a champion, but what is it worth to me? What am I gonna get out of that? I got a team of people gonna advise me that he's not really known in the U.S. What does that mean? They say this guy won't generate money. I don't know what that means."

The names I mentioned above all turned down fights with him.

There's a distinct difference between a fighter not being able to get a fight and one that can fight whoever he pleases but choosing to face opponents they're heavily favoured to beat over tougher challenges.

Look at GGG list of defeated opponents. It's nothing to write home about given the hype Golovkin has received in the States. There will always be questions over GGG until he starts fighting better opponents. Surely Andy Lee isn't the only fight will fight him.

My view was Golovkin was being carefully managed even before the Lee announcement. I think GGG is very good, good enough to beat Kovalev or Stevenson. It's frustrating when he could be fighting Ward who would crawl over broken glass for a big fight.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 05 Feb 2014, 8:21 pm

That's not what I said - and mocking a diminishing a point very rarely makes yours appear more valid.

It's simple mathematics - Martinez is a 39-year old who waited a long time to get his dues in this sport. You can begrudge him a pay off but I won't. Fact is unlike some, his biggest fight doesn't equate with his most financially viable one - he has to make a choice, and I can't say I blame him. Will fighting Cotto and Canelo make him a great probably not, but if he beats Golovkin, I doubt that elevates him much either. None of the three say much legacy wise... but 2/3 say a lot money-wise.

Secondly, like I said in my previous post, Golovkins opponents are offered 400-700k... I can't believe people are turning down that kind of money out of fear - middle weight really isn't that stacked with money fights.

Given that the main evidence used to prove that GGG will fight anyone is the fact that he said so... I have this great link stating that some guy called Floyd Mayweather and a chap called Poochiao are going to get it on during a Mexican holiday in 2010... you, know, they they said so.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next