The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Q&A With Enzo Maccarinelli

2 posters

Go down

Q&A With Enzo Maccarinelli Empty Q&A With Enzo Maccarinelli

Post by hampo17 Wed 12 Feb 2014, 11:13 pm

By Paul Hampton.

Recently I got the chance to have a Q&A session with former WBO Cruiserweight World Champion Enzo Maccarinelli. Enzo has always been a favourite fighter of mine so it was great to have the chance to put my questions to him ahead of his Light Heavyweight World Title Fight against Jurgen Braehmer in April.

PH: You must be confident heading in to your fight with Brahmer, what weaknesses do you see in him?

EM: Lets just say there is a game plan.

PH: Do you have any concerns about the judges in Germany or do you intend on taking it out of their hands?

EM: I’ve never been a fighter that likes to leave anything to the Judges, but I’m sure if it does come to it they’ll be fair.

PH: Recently, fellow Welshman Nathan Cleverly lost his World Title, how likely is a fight between the two of you in the future?

EM: Not very now that Nathan has moved to Cruiser.

PH: Having spent your career at Cruiserweight, what made you move down to Light Heavyweight?

EM: LH is a weight I make easily, on fight night I’ll be fighting pretty much at the same weight as when I fought Braithwaite.

PH: Did you have any concerns about taking off the extra weight?

EM: No, its comfortable for me,.

PH: You’ve suffered some big knock outs in your career, I have recently written an article in which I stated that you began to neglect you defence during your time as WBO World Champion because you were able to hurt your opponents regularly. Would you agree with that?

EM: Yes, I would, its something I’ve been working very hard with Coach Lockett on. I always wanted to entertain and please which sometimes meant I was somewhat reckless. I think the change and improvement has been evident in my last few fights.

PH: You were on the end of a soft stoppage in your first fight against Ovil McKenzie, did the referee offer you any explanation as to why he stopped the fight?

EM: Haha that’s between me and Ian John Lewis

PH: Without being disrepectful, you seemed to freeze against Haye, pushing your shots out. Was your confidence affected after seeing Haye make weight and looking in incredible shape?

EM: No not all, I just prepared badly, the better prepared man won on the night.

PH: Your form has been very up and down since that fight with David Haye, just how much did that affect your self-belief?

EM: It hasn’t really affected my confidence, I’ve lost to some of the best fighters in the division, on a world level., with highlight reel KO’s . Coach Lockett and I have identified the issues surrounding those loses and we’ve worked hard to make sure they don’t happen again. Don’t forget I was giving away probably about a stones and half to these guys too, which is a lot when they’re also big punchers.

PH: Can you explain the difference in preparing to defend a title in comparison to gojng into a fight to win one? Is there a different mind set?

EM: Yes of course, I’m motivated by belts, and big fights, the training is more intense, and it drives me more!

PH: After defeat you have talked about calling it a day. What was it that kept you in the game? Talks with friends and family? The responsibility to provide for the family? A firm belief that you can right the wrongs without risking your health?

EM: I’ve never really talked about retiring, other people have, I love the sport of boxing, whether that be watching, coaching or fighting., and that is my motivation.

PH: What were you aims from boxing when you started out?

EM: Always world titles!!

PH: Is there anything you would change about your career?

EM: I probably wish I’d listened to my Dad a bit more.

Thanks agains to Enzo for answering the my questions, and the best of luck from all at V2 in your big fight.

http://v2journal.com/16/post/2014/02/enzo-maccarinelli-qa.html

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Q&A With Enzo Maccarinelli Empty Re: Q&A With Enzo Maccarinelli

Post by Guest Thu 13 Feb 2014, 1:27 am

Awfully clipped answers,Hampo. He has the reputation of being one of the nicest guys in boxing but here he comes across as yer standard "no regrets/I'm great" type which I wasn't expecting.

PH: Is there anything you would change about your career?

EM: I probably wish I’d listened to my Dad a bit more.
Er, why,though?!

I refrained from asking a question myself as I couldn't think of anything nice to say so I didn't say it at all...but if you're reading this Enzo,if you lose for god's sake retire.

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 13 Feb 2014, 1:58 am

Was this an email questionnaire? Maybe he doesn't like typing? Tough enough questions.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Thu 13 Feb 2014, 7:04 am

Yup Strongy at the moment it was a send is your questions and we'll answer them. We are hoping to have him on the podcast in the near future and with us having Gary Lockett on soon I am hoping he'll be able to put in a good word for us.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down