The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chisora taking a risk?

+8
Izzi
hampo17
hogey
Rowley
TopHat24/7
catchweight
Rodney
TRUSSMAN66
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Chisora taking a risk? - Page 2 Empty Chisora taking a risk?

Post by Guest Tue 18 Feb 2014, 11:02 am

First topic message reminder :

There's an article in the Daily Mail today suggesting that Dereck Chisora has asked his promoter to try and secure him a fight in April in Moscow against Alexander Povetkin with a view to leapfrogging his way to a shot at Wlad.

Both Fury and Chisora were supposedly fighting in mid-April against the fabled TBA with a view to promoting their rematch later in the year. However it appears Chisora isn't wanting to hang around or is perhaps wanting to steal a march on Fury by getting to the ultimate prize sooner rather than later. The Mail suggests it's move not without risk as whilst Povetkin was outclassed by Wlad, he's no mug and suppose given Chisora's limitations, it's fight that could prove to be a bit of a banana skin.

Is Chisora doing the right thing (should the story prove to have any legs)? Whatever, Chisora lacks, it's isn't confidence and a win could see him propelled to the top of the contender tree and, I suppose with the spectre of David Haye still looming/redusing to go away, perhaps Chisora is conscious of the fact that Fury, despite already being jilted twice at the altar, may once again decided to arrange his "Big Fat Boxing Wedding" should Haye give him the bootie call.

Personally, I'm all for Chisora fighting Povetkin as I have zero interest in watching him fight Fury and how anyone can suggest this is a massive British HW clash is beyond me.

Back to top Go down

Chisora taking a risk? - Page 2 Empty Re: Chisora taking a risk?

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 19 Feb 2014, 10:03 am

kingraf wrote:I don't know, I give Chisora a chance vs Wlad. A punchers chance, but a chance nonetheless. He managed to hurt Vitali in their fight, and if he can hurt Vitali, I suspect he can drop Wlad. Unlike Haye, he won't be afraid of taking damage to get in there.

Don't see the point in giving a 'punchers chance' to a non-puncher. Sanders may have flattened Wlad, but he hits like a train. Don't the Chisora could test Wlad's whiskers even landing flush.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 19 Feb 2014, 10:21 am

The fact Wlad hasn't allowed anyone to get within punching distance for over a decade seems to have convinced people that he's now impervious to punches. Even now when opponents throw leather he goes into "Holy sh!t mode" and scampers backwards like a startled deer. He simply doesn't like being hit and can't fight on the back foot.

He needs to face someone with a great chin who's willing/able to try get under those long arms and land a uppercut on that jaw. Work the body, drop the hands, short hooks to the head and job's a good 'un.

I'd do it myself but as I mentioned elsewhere, I've got this really clicky elbow.

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 19 Feb 2014, 10:24 am

Never said impervious.

But we know Chis is feather-fisted and we know Sanders threw bombs. So they're two different animals, ergo you can't equate the result of each of them landing.

If Haye had landed I'd have backed him to drop Wlad too.

So it's less a comment about Wlad's punch resistance, more Chis' inability to expose it.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 19 Feb 2014, 10:26 am

DAVE667 wrote:The fact Wlad hasn't allowed anyone to get within punching distance for over a decade seems to have convinced people that he's now impervious to punches. Even now when opponents throw leather he goes into "Holy sh!t mode" and scampers backwards like a startled deer. He simply doesn't like being hit and can't fight on the back foot.

He needs to face someone with a great chin who's willing/able to try get under those long arms and land a uppercut on that jaw. Work the body, drop the hands, short hooks to the head and job's a good 'un.

I'd do it myself but as I mentioned elsewhere, I've got this really clicky elbow.

Which is always going to be the issue with Wlad's ranking - the one person people would've backed to achieve that in the last decade is the one guy he would never face, his big brother. For that reason I can never have Wlad more than 1 notch above Vit, despite his superior record and achievements.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 19 Feb 2014, 10:33 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:Never said impervious.

But we know Chis is feather-fisted and we know Sanders threw bombs.  So they're two different animals, ergo you can't equate the result of each of them landing.

If Haye had landed I'd have backed him to drop Wlad too.

So it's less a comment about Wlad's punch resistance, more Chis' inability to expose it.
Did Sanders throw bombs or does Wlad simply have a very poor chin? Sanders hit hard but more importantly, he had fast hands and as you know, it's the ones you don't see that cause the most damage. Chisora isn't particularly feather fisted either. The fact he doesn't have one punch KO ability doesn't mean he can't floor Wlad. No-one had ever dropped Johnson before Saturday but pillow puncher Chisora did it didn't he?

All pie in the sky as Chisora is as unlikely to get near enough to KO Wlad as I am to win "Most reasonable man on the Planet"

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Wed 19 Feb 2014, 10:38 am

Chisora would just be a worse version of the last fatty Wlad fought. Plodding forward gamely but getting punched before he can get in range and then wrestled into oblivion.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 19 Feb 2014, 10:42 am

catchweight wrote:Chisora would just be a worse version of the last fatty Wlad fought. Plodding forward gamely but getting punched before he can get in range and then wrestled into oblivion.
Or would he be "A very dangerous fighter who brings a great deal of threat. A man not to be underestimated with excellent credentials and a worthy opponent" Quote by Wladimir Klitschko (before EVERY fight he has)

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 19 Feb 2014, 10:44 am

Think Sanders was always known as a pretty heavy hitter - just look out the amount of guys on his record he's bombed out early. 29 out of his 31 ko wins (out of 42 total) were ko/tkos in the first 3 rounds.

Though your point re Chis and Kingpin is a fair one.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Wed 19 Feb 2014, 10:44 am

The modern, upgraded, faster, stronger, superior, super heavyweight version of Joe Frazier (who weighs more than Joe Frazier so would automatically win).

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 19 Feb 2014, 10:56 am

How bad would it be for Boxing If this fat loser did get lucky...

Axel Schultz all is forgiven!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 19 Feb 2014, 11:08 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:How bad would it be for Boxing If this fat loser did get lucky...

Axel Schultz all is forgiven!!!
It would also put Wlad into some kind of context...namely beaten by anyone who dared take a chance

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 19 Feb 2014, 11:12 am

Be another guy his brother beat that he couldn't also..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 19 Feb 2014, 11:18 am

Nope, Wlad beat Schultz already, not Vit.

Has Wlad ever rematched beaten opponents?

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Wed 19 Feb 2014, 11:20 am

All the time

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 19 Feb 2014, 11:20 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:Nope, Wlad beat Schultz already, not Vit.

Has Wlad ever rematched beaten opponents?
Did he fight Byrd after Vitali did his shoulder?

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 19 Feb 2014, 11:24 am

Meant has Wlad rematched his own victims - though yes, you've led me to an answer all the same. Wlad beat him twice, 6 years apart.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 19 Feb 2014, 11:26 am

Yeah, he's rematched Tony Thompson

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Wed 19 Feb 2014, 11:26 am

Peter

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 19 Feb 2014, 11:27 am

Wlad didn't beat sanders...Vitali did..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Qoxiivi Wed 19 Feb 2014, 11:39 am

Odd risk to take, IMO. Fury's a bigger money fight, more winnable (given how open and, well, generally shambolic he is) and there'd be a shot against Wlad at the end of that too.

Think it'd be a good fight though. I mean, the Huck fight could have gone either way (Marco certainly connected enough and is hardly SRL) so I don't think Povetkin is some kind of boxing colossus that'd run rings around Dereck, who also has a good chin and probably similar pop to Huck, who's a hard hitting CW, but probably posseses around Dereck's level of pop at HW.

Anyway, would like to see it, but I don't see much sense in it.

Qoxiivi

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Wed 19 Feb 2014, 12:30 pm

Problem with this is that, as far as heavyweights go, Chisora doesn't pack much of a punch. If he landed on Wlad, I would bet on Wlad weathering it and then not letting him near enough to land another. I am saying that in full knowledge that Wlad has a highly suspect chin.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 19 Feb 2014, 12:34 pm

Wlad losing to Chisora would be highly embrassing, but he's 38, now and I don't think it would do him anymore damage than Tyson losing to Williams and McBride, or Ali's farcical years.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 19 Feb 2014, 12:36 pm

kingraf wrote:Wlad losing to Chisora would be highly embrassing, but he's 38, now and I don't think it would do him anymore damage than Tyson losing to Williams and McBride, or Ali's farcical years.
Thing is everyone acknowledges that at the time both Tyson and Ali were shot to bits...WLAD is still considered to be at his peak. It would be highly embarrassing

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 19 Feb 2014, 12:41 pm

Yeah - but a 38-year old 6'6 245lbs fighter cannot possibly be at his peak.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 19 Feb 2014, 12:49 pm

Nor, given the way he's fighting, can he be considered shot to pieces. He's matured late as a HW, hardly had a hard career to speak of so shouldn't be losing to the likes of Chisora

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 19 Feb 2014, 1:43 pm

Let's hope someone tests how close to his peak he is...for Boxing's sake soon.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Wed 19 Feb 2014, 7:44 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
kingraf wrote:Wlad losing to Chisora would be highly embrassing, but he's 38, now and I don't think it would do him anymore damage than Tyson losing to Williams and McBride, or Ali's farcical years.
Thing is everyone acknowledges that at the time both Tyson and Ali were shot to bits...WLAD is still considered to be at his peak. It would be highly embarrassing
Boxers/Jabbers last a lot longer than sluggers or brawlers; Tyson, Marciano, Frazier and Dempsey were all finished by the time they were 30 whereas Holmes, Lewis, Waclott and Louis were still competitive into their mid 30's. Whereas for Ali with his level of opposition it was never going to enable sparkling performances late on in his career. Even when he was shot he was able to beat guys better than anything Wlad has.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2