The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leeds staff restructure

2 posters

Go down

Leeds staff restructure Empty Leeds staff restructure

Post by Adam D Fri May 20, 2011 12:16 pm

Leeds Carnegie have agreed to release their captain Marco Wentzel from the remainder of his contract.

Wentzel signed a new two-year deal with the club five months ago, and he was committed to them for next season despite Leeds' relegation from the Aviva Premiership. But, after talks between the second-row forward and Leeds chief executive Gary Hetherington, Wentzel's contract will be terminated so he can pursue other options.

"Unfortunately, following relegation, we have had to make some tough decisions about the club to enable us to build a squad that is capable of challenging to return to the Aviva Premiership at the earliest possible opportunity," Hetherington said. "We wish Marco all the best for the future." Wentzel, 32, added: "Having spoken with Gary Hetherington, I understand the position that the club is in. While it is still a tough decision to leave the club, I hope they can achieve their goals for next season.

"The club faces some financial challenges for next season, and if by me leaving they are able to attract two or three players to strengthen the squad, I understand their position. I have spoken to a number of clubs, but I have not made any decisions as yet."

source - espn scrum link

So where do you think will he go?

Last edited by Hobo on Mon May 23, 2011 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Leeds staff restructure Empty Re: Leeds staff restructure

Post by MR. scotland27 Fri May 20, 2011 4:44 pm

I think he will go back to south africa to a lesser side in the currie cup at first, and maybe an S15 season after.
MR. scotland27
MR. scotland27

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon May 23, 2011 3:40 pm

Relegated Leeds Carnegie will start interviewing for their vacant head coach's job this week.

Candidates include Lynn Howells, Graham Steadman, Paul Tuner, Gary Mercer and current assistant coach Simon Middleton, who appears the favourite.

Chief executive Gary Hetherington told BBC Radio Leeds: "We'll start in the middle of the week after completing our staff restructuring.

"The head coach will be the only job where we invite external applications."

The Yorkshire club have used relegation from the Premiership and departure of boss Neil Back as an opportunity to conduct, as Hetherington described it, a "root and branch" review of their staffing.

Hetherington expect a section of the 21-strong backroom staff at Headingley will be made redundant.

Leeds also need to confirm their playing squad for the Championship.

There are 10 players out of contract, while captain Marco Wentzel has been released from his deal and England flanker Hendre Fourie has been allowed to talk to other clubs.

It could leave the club with fewer than 20 senior players by the end of the week.
Hetherington explained: "We are looking at everything. We have some outstanding people here, but some will have to leave. Which will be very, very sad.
"We will not be looking externally for any of our new positions [backroom staff], they will be given to our current staff, but we won't have as many staff as we did last year.

"We need to deal with all our player issues too and deal with all our current players on an individual basis.

"So I think by the middle of the week we'll know what the core of our squad is for next season, and then we can focus on the appointment of a new head coaches and possible new players."

Hetherington says the board have deliberately not laid down a set profile for their next coach and are determined not to get caught up in reputations.
But out-going captain Marco Wentzel, who was brought to Leeds by Back and Andy Key, has set out what he thinks the next boss needs to be about.
Wentzel told BBC Radio Leeds: "I'm hoping they get someone that is currently involved in Leeds rugby or has been in the past. An ex-player or someone like that.

"I think they need to know the club, know the people. They need to know the complexities of the club, the way they are, where they come from and where they are going.

"I think it's very tough to get someone from outside to come in and understand all that.

"The main thing for the club is to get a coach that can look after the youngsters so that can keep them at the club. Leeds can't keep losing all their good youngsters."

source - bbc - link - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/my_club/leeds/9493929.stm

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down