The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Club rivalries

+23
Hound of Harrow
LondonTiger
kiakahaaotearoa
Mickado
BlueMuff
SecretFly
George Carlin
B91212
nathan
yappysnap
Welly
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
offload
Ozzy3213
Jimpy
Sin é
rodders
GunsGerms
doctor_grey
HongKongCherry
killer938
boomeranga
beshocked
27 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Club rivalries Empty Club rivalries

Post by beshocked Mon 03 Mar 2014, 11:32 am

This has been done before of course but I thought I would bring this up again.

Who would you say are your main club rivals - this could be in your domestic league but also in Europe too.

Personally as a Sarries fan our no 1 rivals would be Saints in the AP. Not just because both clubs are top of the summit. It's been like that for some time. This season there is the potential to meet 5 times. The rivalry has ebbed and flowed with Saints now holding the ascendency in the last three matches.

Other than Saints I wouldn't say we truly have any other rivals though perhaps Leicester because of the two titanic AP final tussles.

Not sure we have arrived on the Tigers radar yet.

Rivalries can be one sided of course with one team seeing it as a rivalry whereas the other doesn't.

I suppose in Europe it would be Biarritz with both teams winning all their home games against each other and both handing each a humiliating defeat. Though this rivalry probably isn't going to be reunited for some time with the fall of Biarritz.

Haven't played other sides in Europe enough yet though potential is there with Ulster,Clermont and Toulon.

What are yours?

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Club rivalries Empty Re: Club rivalries

Post by boomeranga Mon 03 Mar 2014, 11:50 am

NSW had our first win over Qld in three years on Saturday. Even through a tough day at work today I was able to smile 'cause those miserable %^#*+ would be suffering. There really is nothing like beating your great rival.

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 03 Mar 2014, 12:12 pm

boomeranga how does your rivalry compare with the rest of the Aussie clubs?

Is it just Queensland that you have a true rivalry with?

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by killer938 Mon 03 Mar 2014, 12:54 pm

During my time as a Tigers fan the 2 main domestic rivals have been Northampton and Bath. No-one else has really come close, though like you say, the Tigers v Sarries matches have started to gain more spice, mainly due to the finals we have played.

European wise, I would say Munster are up there, of course the hand of Back being a major reason why they aren't too fond of us.

killer938

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Mon 03 Mar 2014, 1:25 pm

Beshocked, it's interesting that you say Tigers & Saints, as I wouldn't have had them down as your big rivals. You have of course been competing against them in recent years at the top of the table, but there is little before that point. I'm surprised you don't include a London side in the mix. Given the London Double Header has been established for a number of years, I'd have thought this would have really served to build rivalries amongst the 4 sides. Clearly there is no right or wrong answer as it is your perception on a rival, but it would be interesting to know why none of the London clubs aren't there.

From Glaws' perspective there is of course Bath and the much missed fixture of Bristol. I sincerely hope they do return to the Jeff as those derby games were always very hard fought. These games always have the best atmosphere and the bragging rights last every single day between matches! These kind of rivalries are what make the game interesting though.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon 03 Mar 2014, 1:37 pm

Agree, as a Saints supporter, I don't see Sarries a a big rival except that now we are both top of the table. Would be grand to meet them in Twickenham in the end of May, which I think could be a rousing final. We do have a friendly rivalry with Leicester supporters, but I would guess that is because they are just ooop the road from us. Nothing too serious or emotional. Not sure if we have a big rival these days. Shame in a way as it adds spice to the doings.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 03 Mar 2014, 1:50 pm

From the point of view of a Leinster fan in terms of setting the bar Toulouse have historically lead the way in European club rugby. To match Toulouse's 4 Heineken cup wins at some stage in the future would be a great achievement for Leinster.

Our biggest domestic rival is currently Ulster as they are possibly the top team in Ireland right now.

Last edited by GunsGerms on Mon 03 Mar 2014, 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 03 Mar 2014, 1:53 pm

Domestically for Ulster I'd say Leinster is the big one out of the other provinces and pro 12 teams.

In Europe we seem to come across Leicester tigers a lot so them maybe but depending on how the Sarries game goes it could change to them....
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 03 Mar 2014, 2:06 pm

Leinster are Munster's greatest rivals (Guns, I'll believe that Ulster are your greatest rivals when you move your Pro12 games against them to the Aviva in preference to playing Munster's games there).

Leicester, Ospreys & Toulouse would be our greatest rivals outside of Ireland. It was very special beating Toulouse in a Heineken Cup final.

Wasps would have been another favourite back in the day with Dayglo leading the charge.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 03 Mar 2014, 2:09 pm

Sin é wrote:Leinster are Munster's greatest rivals (Guns, I'll believe that Ulster are your greatest rivals when you move your Pro12 games against them to the Aviva in preference to playing Munster's games there).

Leicester, Ospreys & Toulouse would be our greatest rivals outside of Ireland. It was very special beating Toulouse in a Heineken Cup final.

Wasps would have been another favourite back in the day with Dayglo leading the charge.

Munster games are moved to the Aviva because of the amount of Munster fans that want to go to those games by contrast to the amount of travelling Ulster fans. Munster fans have always had an obsession with Leinster for some reason but it doesnt really work the other way round. Munster havent been relevant for a few years now.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon 03 Mar 2014, 2:13 pm

Sin é wrote:Leinster are Munster's greatest rivals (Guns, I'll believe that Ulster are your greatest rivals when you move your Pro12 games against them to the Aviva in preference to playing Munster's games there).

I think Wasps were everyone's big rivals when Lawrence Dallaglio was patrolling the back row.  He had a way of getting under the skin of the opposition (fans at least) and energising the Wasps players and supporters.  Made all around him better. Would have liked to have him at Saints, but really enjoyed the few wins we had against him (and they were rare).  Terrific player.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 03 Mar 2014, 2:24 pm

GunsGerms wrote:

Munster games are moved to the Aviva because of the amount of Munster fans that want to go to those games by contrast to the amount of travelling Ulster fans. Munster fans have always had an obsession with Leinster for some reason but it doesnt really work the other way round. Munster havent been relevant for a few years now.

And there I was thinking that the fans had all fallen off the Munster bandwagon once Leinster started winning. Nice to know we have such loyal fans still in Leinster, though I read recently Ross O'Carroll-Kelly saying that the Munster flags are still up in the Vale of Avoca where he lives. Nice that they have a short journey for a change.

I know it doesn't work the other way around as Leinster fans don't like leaving the confines of D4.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 03 Mar 2014, 2:40 pm

You do know Ross O'Carroll Kelly is a fictional character?

Leinster routinely defeat Munster. How can there be a rivalry? We have much more a rivalry with Ulster and the Ospreys.

Last edited by GunsGerms on Mon 03 Mar 2014, 2:49 pm; edited 2 times in total

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 03 Mar 2014, 2:46 pm

GunsGerms wrote:You do know Ross O'Carroll Kelly is a fictional character?

You mean he isn't real?  Very Happy 

Crickey!

Reference:

Question: Are you a closet Munster Fan?

Paul Howard: Yes, like all people living in Wicklow, I’m a Munster fan! Absolutely one hundred percent! I live in the Vale of Avoca and where I’m from I’ve never ever seen a Leinster flag flying, lots of people walking around in Munster jerseys. But I think you can’t help but be a Munster fan if you love sport, which I do, you can’t help but love Munster.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 03 Mar 2014, 2:59 pm

If you believe Paul Howard there you believe anything. Like I say half of Munster lives in Dublin and surrounding counties. It only appears like there are a lot of Munster fans in the vale of Avoca because Munster fans never take their jerseys off. A bit like when they go to Ireland games.

While I'm sure the media and journalists like Paul Howard who has made a career out of imaginary rivalries would love it to be otherwise in the greater scheme of things Munster arent relevant because Leinster have had no difficulty beating them for years now. Therefore there is hardly a rivalry.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 03 Mar 2014, 3:06 pm

HongKongCherry wrote:Beshocked, it's interesting that you say Tigers & Saints, as I wouldn't have had them down as your big rivals.  You have of course been competing against them in recent years at the top of the table, but there is little before that point.  I'm surprised you don't include a London side in the mix.  Given the London Double Header has been established for a number of years, I'd have thought this would have really served to build rivalries amongst the 4 sides.  Clearly there is no right or wrong answer as it is your perception on a rival, but it would be interesting to know why none of the London clubs aren't there.

From Glaws' perspective there is of course Bath and the much missed fixture of Bristol.  I sincerely hope they do return to the Jeff as those derby games were always very hard fought.  These games always have the best atmosphere and the bragging rights last every single day between matches!  These kind of rivalries are what make the game interesting though.

Saints are a recent rival but as one of my best mates is a Saints fan that rivalry has always been there for me personally.

Doctor Grey surprised you don't see Sarries as a rival but rivalry can very much be a personal thing.

This is allegedly where the rivalry was born.

https://sport.bt.com/rugbyunionhub/rugbyunion/venter-saints-sensitive-about-sarries-S11363843471372

http://www.northampton-news-hp.co.uk/Sport/Northampton-Saints-RUFC/Rugby-Union-Saints-v-Sarries-rivarly-history-25102012.htm

HKC the reason why London clubs aren't really on the rival radar are because there hasn't been many memorable wins or losses.

Wasps and Saracens haven't really been on the top of their game at the same time. Wasps used to be excellent, Saracens inconsistently mediocre, now in recent years the tables have turned.

Quins should be a rival but there hasn't been too many memorable encounters and the vast majority have been Sarries victories in recent years.

Saracens and London Irish - again not many memorable encounters though I do feel that London Irish do on occasion up their level against Sarries.

If I had to pick a London rival it would be London Irish.

Saints and Tigers in comparison have had some excellent encounters with Sarries in recent years that stand out for me. Perhaps not natural rivalries but because of the closeness of the matches and some heart in the mouth stuff they stand out.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 03 Mar 2014, 3:20 pm

GunsGerms wrote:If you believe Paul Howard there you believe anything. Like I say half of Munster lives in Dublin and surrounding counties. It only appears like there are a lot of Munster fans in the vale of Avoca because Munster fans never take their jerseys off. A bit like when they go to Ireland games.

While I'm sure the media and journalists like Paul Howard who has made a career out of imaginary rivalries would love it to be otherwise in the greater scheme of things Munster arent relevant because Leinster have had no difficulty beating them for years now. Therefore there is hardly a rivalry.

Crickey, and I thought Munster won our last game against Leinster.  Doh 
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 03 Mar 2014, 3:24 pm

First narrow win in 5 games and only the second in 8. Seriously no rivalry there anymore. Lets call a spade a spade here Sin.

Munster are practically Leinster B with the amount of Leinster players in the Munster squad these days anyway.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Mon 03 Mar 2014, 3:40 pm

I still see Wasps as Tiger's main rivals. Not based on this year's standings (as some rather short sighted have done - or seemingly have done), but based on history. Wasps and Tigers were two teams at the top of their game for years and swapped trophies a lot. Bath come close I suppose, but for me it will always be Wasps. Sarries and Saints are just speed bumps on the road to success as far as i'm concerned.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon 03 Mar 2014, 3:53 pm

beshocked wrote:
HongKongCherry wrote:Beshocked, it's interesting that you say Tigers & Saints, as I wouldn't have had them down as your big rivals.  You have of course been competing against them in recent years at the top of the table, but there is little before that point.  I'm surprised you don't include a London side in the mix.  Given the London Double Header has been established for a number of years, I'd have thought this would have really served to build rivalries amongst the 4 sides.  Clearly there is no right or wrong answer as it is your perception on a rival, but it would be interesting to know why none of the London clubs aren't there.

From Glaws' perspective there is of course Bath and the much missed fixture of Bristol.  I sincerely hope they do return to the Jeff as those derby games were always very hard fought.  These games always have the best atmosphere and the bragging rights last every single day between matches!  These kind of rivalries are what make the game interesting though.

Saints are a recent rival but as one of my best mates is a Saints fan that rivalry has always been there for me personally.

Doctor Grey surprised you don't see Sarries as a rival but rivalry can very much be a personal thing.

This is allegedly where the rivalry was born.

https://sport.bt.com/rugbyunionhub/rugbyunion/venter-saints-sensitive-about-sarries-S11363843471372

http://www.northampton-news-hp.co.uk/Sport/Northampton-Saints-RUFC/Rugby-Union-Saints-v-Sarries-rivarly-history-25102012.htm

HKC the reason why London clubs aren't really on the rival radar are because there hasn't been many memorable wins or losses.

Wasps and Saracens haven't really been on the top of their game at the same time. Wasps used to be excellent, Saracens inconsistently mediocre, now in recent years the tables have turned.

Quins should be a rival but there hasn't been too many memorable encounters and the vast majority have been Sarries victories in recent years.

Saracens and London Irish - again not many memorable encounters though I do feel that London Irish do on occasion up their level against Sarries.

If I had to pick a London rival it would be London Irish.

Saints and Tigers in comparison have had some excellent encounters with Sarries in recent years that stand out for me. Perhaps not natural rivalries but because of the closeness of the matches and some heart in the mouth stuff they stand out.
I read those articles, mate, and I remember some of the gnashing of the teeth at the time, but it really doesn't resonate with Saints or their supporters. Done and dusted, really. Seems like a media thing to drum up some drama. I think this season is somewhat unique because Sarries and Saints are both top of the league by a decent margin. So any meeting between them carries import. would be a shame if they don't meet in the finals.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 03 Mar 2014, 3:54 pm

Fair enough Jimpy. Quite surprised you feel that way but that's your personal opinion.

Suppose it means the likes of Saints and Sarries need to do more to be just more than speed bumps!

Not sure how it is short sighted to base rivalries on sides being in similar position to you in the table. You generally have the closest/toughest matches against those sides on a similar level to yourself.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Mon 03 Mar 2014, 3:58 pm

beshocked wrote:Fair enough Jimpy. Quite surprised you feel that way but that's your personal opinion.

Suppose it means the likes of Saints and Sarries need to do more to be just more than speed bumps!

Not sure how it is short sighted to base rivalries on sides being in similar position to you in the table. You generally have the closest/toughest matches against those sides on a similar level to yourself.

"Not just because both clubs are top of the summit. It's been like that for some time."

Not true for Saints though is it? And Sarries really only came onto the scene (in a serious way) a few seasons ago....

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Mon 03 Mar 2014, 4:09 pm

I don't see rivalries as really being related to where you are in the table. For us it's the Hairyqueens. There is history, and they are a stones throw away from us geographically. If we could only win one game all season, this is the one most London Irish fans would pick I think.

At present, some may choose to beat Bath, but that is because of a current disdain for them due to them nicking all our players. This will pass, and it will still be our former landlords the jokers that we want to beat.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 03 Mar 2014, 4:11 pm

Jimpy I meant Saints have been our rivals for some time in my opinion. I meant we have been in similar positions in the table. Mediocre/poor together and now near the top of the table together.

Compare that to Wasps and Sarries where basically it's been the opposite. When Wasps were going through their excellent form,Saracens were mediocre/poor. After Saracens rise in the last few years, Wasps have dropped to mediocrity/poor.

"Personally as a Sarries fan our no 1 rivals would be Saints in the AP. Not just because both clubs are top of the summit. It's been like that for some time"

Got to take the whole quote.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Mon 03 Mar 2014, 4:11 pm

Ozzy3213 wrote:I don't see rivalries as really being related to where you are in the table.  For us it's the Hairyqueens.  There is history, and they are a stones throw away from us geographically.  If we could only win one game all season, this is the one most London Irish fans would pick I think.

At present, some may choose to beat Bath, but that is because of a current disdain for them due to them nicking all our players.  This will pass, and it will still be our former landlords the jokers that we want to beat.

Completely agree. Rivalries are built over years, generations even and shouldn't be confused with healthy respect for an opponent that might be giving you a bit of bother domestically of late...

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 03 Mar 2014, 4:23 pm

GunsGerms wrote:First narrow win in 5 games and only the second in 8. Seriously no rivalry there anymore. Lets call a spade a spade here Sin.

Munster are practically Leinster B with the amount of Leinster players in the Munster squad these days anyway.

Wow, and do you show similar contempt for Cronin, Ross & Reddan?

As an aside, there is a great interview with Jerry Flannery on an 'Irishman Abroad'. https://soundcloud.com/an-irishman-abroad/episode-22-jerry-flannery

He says in it that he was offered a contract by Leinster when he was at Connacht, but choose Munster (despite being behind Frankie Sheahan). The interviewer, asked why he didn't take the Leinster contract and he said he would never play for Leinster.

Anyway, Guns. I think you are in denial.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 03 Mar 2014, 4:36 pm

Sin é wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:First narrow win in 5 games and only the second in 8. Seriously no rivalry there anymore. Lets call a spade a spade here Sin.

As an aside, there is a great interview with Jerry Flannery on an 'Irishman Abroad'. https://soundcloud.com/an-irishman-abroad/episode-22-jerry-flannery

He says in it that he was offered a contract by Leinster when he was at Connacht, but choose Munster (despite being behind Frankie Sheahan). The interviewer, asked why he didn't take the Leinster contract and he said he would never play for Leinster.

None of Cronin, Ross and Reddan were signed from Munster. They could see the rot setting in in Munster and got out to better teams. Reddan probably has more medals than the entire Munster squad put together.

How am I in denial? I just think rivalries are usually with teams at the same level as yours. Munster are still a good bit behind. I would see more of a rivalry with the Ospreys or Ulster these days. In all fairness the amount of times we have played the Ospreys in the Rabo final in recent years plus Ulster and Leinster were the only Irish sides to meet in a Heineken final also recently. Surely this backs up my claim, no?

Right now there are two tiers in Irish rugby:

Tier 1:
Leinster and Ulster

Tier 2:
Munster and Connacht

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 03 Mar 2014, 4:48 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
Sin é wrote:

None of Cronin, Ross and Reddan were signed from Munster. They could see the rot setting in in Munster and got out to better teams. Reddan probably has more medals than the entire Munster squad put together.

How am I in denail? I just think rivalries are usually with teams at the same level as yours. Munster are still a good bit behind. I would see more of a rivalry with the Ospreys or Ulster these days. In all fairness the amount of times we have played the Ospreys in the Rabo final in recent years plus Ulster and Leinster were the only Irish sides to meet in a Heineken final also recently. Surely this backs up my claim.

Right now there are two tiers in Irish rugby:

Tier 1:
Leinster and Ulster

Tier 2:
Munster and Connacht

Cronin, Ross & Reddan are Munstermen. Fullstop.

Ross's timing is off - he left Munster just before Munster won their first Heineken Cup.  Rolling Eyes 
Redser has since said he regrets leaving Munster at the time!
Munster beat Leinster in a Pro12 Final in 2009 & 2011.
Leinster were going for 4 in a row being runners up!
Leinster have played Munster x 2, Ospreys x 2 and Ulster x 1 in the last five years in the finals and won once.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 03 Mar 2014, 4:58 pm

Like I said Sin "the last few years".

Munster arent relevant anymore from a Leinster point of view other than being a feeder province.

Cronin, Ross and Reddan havent played for Munster in a long long time. Ross and Cronin have three caps between them for Munster. Hardly products of Munster rugby. Reddan played for Wasps and Leinster way more times than Munster.

They are mostly products of other teams most notably Leinster. All of the following came from Leinster:

Ian Keatley
Felix Jones
Andrew Conway
Niall Ronin

Johne Murphy, Copeland and Downey are also Leinster rejects.

Come on Sin Munster is turning into a Leinster dregs side and you know it. Fairly soon Munster fans wont know who to support again.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 03 Mar 2014, 5:10 pm

GunsGerms wrote:Like I said Sin "the last few years".

Munster arent relevant anymore from a Leinster point of view other than being a feeder province.

Cronin, Ross and Reddan havent played for Munster in a long long time. Ross and Cronin have three caps between them for Munster. Hardly products of Munster rugby. Reddan played for Wasps and Leinster way more times than Munster.

They are mostly products of other teams most notably Leinster. All of the following came from Leinster:

Ian Keatley
Felix Jones
Andrew Conway
Niall Ronin

Johne Murphy, Copeland and Downey are also Leinster rejects.

Come on Sin Munster is turning into a Leinster dregs side and you know it. Fairly soon Munster fans wont know who to support again.

If you are basing it on caps, how many Leinster caps each has Keatley, Jones, Conway & Ronan? How do you know Jones only played for Leinster because of circumstances. Think his family have moved to Kerry now as well.

Like Geordan Murphy, Murphy is a Leinster reject Rolling Eyes How come Leinster (& Ulster) offered him a contract when he wanted to come back to Ireland. Have Leinster's standards dropped in the last while?
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Mon 03 Mar 2014, 5:40 pm

As a life long Pontypool fan, our biggest rivals are Newport.  Well in truth that used to be the case when we all actually played rugby.  

Now in Wales rugby is a distant memory.  Apparently there are a four "professional" teams still playing behind closed doors somewhere. I know this because other people I recognise who used to play rugby talk about them every week on telly - but no one I know has actually seen them.

And apparently a bunch of other "professionals" who play rugby in France and England are "representing" Wales on Saturday.  Must be some sort of memorial game........

Pooler!! Pooler!! Pooler !!

Last edited by offload on Mon 03 Mar 2014, 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 03 Mar 2014, 5:58 pm

offload wrote:As a life long Pontypool fan, our biggest rivals are Newport.  Well in truth that used to be the case when we all actually played rugby.  

Now in Wales rugby is a distant memory.  Apparently there are a four "professional" teams still playing behind closed doors somewhere. I know this because other people I recognise who used to play rugby talk about them every week on telly - but no one know has actually seen them.

And apparently a bunch of other "professionals" who play rugby in France and England are "representing" Wales on Saturday.  Must be some sort of memorial game........

Laugh Brilliant stuff, offload OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Mon 03 Mar 2014, 6:04 pm

Saints  & Bath for me. just something about them there always that extra passion in the games.

The east midlands derby have also been more than just form it that bubbling intensity that you don't get at the other AP games.

Outside England.

Ospreys and Munster for me. and French clubs in general Toulouse.

Would say Leinster but we have had some very good players from them. 

G.Murphy, J.Murphy, Eric Miller (going back a bit),  Cullen, Jennings and now Morris.

Was nice to see the impact Cullen and Jennings had when they went back to Leinster.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 03 Mar 2014, 6:28 pm

Hhhhmm

I don't think Quins have any historic rivalries although I'd say our nemesis is Saracens as at the moment we find it almost impossible to beat them, they seem to have the perfect counter gameplan to our style, pretty much our green kryptonite.

Perhaps as well after the last few meetings Munster and Stade Francais would be our European rivals. Munster because of ticketgate and the win at their place and Stade because of the awesome games we've played (and won) against them.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon 03 Mar 2014, 6:57 pm

For Saints it would be great to have a team we consider rivals. I see it here in America with the NY Yankees and the Boston Red Sox, the NY Jets and the New England patriots, all of the USA against the Dallas Cowboys.

It's funny, but when I was back in the UK during Christmas time I spent a fair amount of time at the Gardens with the team and with the supporters. The players I spoke with are only focused on winning each match and really don't feel any extra pressure with any team. Clearly they are very locked in on the other teams near the top of the table, but no real rivalry at all. Most supporters generally feel the same, but as Beshocked said, it can be personal. So some individuals might have feelings toward one team or another, but not the fans in general. They just want to see a championship come to the 'Rose of the Shires'. And want to beat anyone we play each weekend.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Mon 03 Mar 2014, 8:11 pm

For me (Tigers fan, like nobody knew!) i see the old time rivalies of Bath and Wasps, newer ones being Ospreys, Saints and Sarries.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Mon 03 Mar 2014, 10:56 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
offload wrote:As a life long Pontypool fan, our biggest rivals are Newport.  Well in truth that used to be the case when we all actually played rugby.  

Now in Wales rugby is a distant memory.  Apparently there are a four "professional" teams still playing behind closed doors somewhere. I know this because other people I recognise who used to play rugby talk about them every week on telly - but no one know has actually seen them.

Laugh  Brilliant stuff, offload OK

Asbo - it appears that you are only 4 years my senior, which explains why we share the same sad humour.  Wink 
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by boomeranga Mon 03 Mar 2014, 11:34 pm

beshocked wrote:boomeranga how does your rivalry compare with the rest of the Aussie clubs?

It's certainly the main rivalry beshocked, but there are other lesser ones.
The Brumbies traditionally view themselves as a club based on the rejects of NSW and QLD. The week leading up to NSW in Canberra is a big time for ACT rugby, and the animosity between the Brumbies and Reds was obvious last year as the Brumbies re-emerged as a power and took the mantle back from QLD as our best provincial side.
NSW resent the Brumbies because they are more successful, but it never seems too passionate to me. In any given year, many Brumbies players will be Sydney club players so there is a natural interest in them anyway.
Qld and the Western Force aren’t mates as the WF poached Qld pretty hard in their early days which left a large hole in the Reds for a few years.

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Tue 04 Mar 2014, 2:01 am

Closest is Tigers I guess but, and don't tell anyone this but I have a begrudging respect for them on and off the pitch. I even find the Tigers posters on here to be a pretty decent bunch (although a little one-eyed, unlike me of course Wink). I get pretty nervous against them and feel we are due a result or two but like all AP teams I'm more than happy to cheer them on Europe (unless they are playing Saints of course).

Wouldn't say I feel Saracens are a rival as such Beshocked, I do really enjoy the games against them as both teams play a power based game (differing styles) but I don't class it as rivalry. Maybe it would be different as well if any of my freinds were a die-hard Sarries fan. Used to dislike Wasps back in the day but even that has waned due to a few factors (I rate Dai Young, considering what he inherited think he as done well and appreciate his honesty when interviewed).

In Europe Leinster have thwarted our progress more than once but again other than the odd idiot journalist the fans seem to have respect for each other. We always seem to draw Castres in the group stages annually but again wouldn't class them as a rival, more like a recurring cyst that won't go away Smile.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 04 Mar 2014, 5:32 am

For Glasgow, I suppose that out of courtesy I should mentioned our quiche-eating, exfoliating, tweed-wearing, servant-beating, Pimms-drinking, cousin copulating brethren on the East Coast seeing as we play the world's oldest inter-district match with them and all that.

Practically, although the feelings probably won't be reciprocated, our biggest rivals would have to be Leinster, a team that we post the occasional victory against (including being the last team to beat them at the RDS) but we just cannot get past them in the playoffs or at any other time when it really matters. With my one eye firmly blinking, I think that Glasgow v Leinster is the best game in the league for intensity.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 04 Mar 2014, 9:14 am

Glasgow are definitely on the radar of rivals for Leinster, with Ulster and Ospreys in that 2nd tier mix too.  You only have to look at the last game (with Glasgow) to see how tough a deal it is for both sides.  Some mighty hard rugby being played there during an International window!

But I don't think anyone would begrudge Leinster their out and out favourite team to get into a beat-the-bejasus-outta-each-other game.  It's Munster without a shadow of a doubt.  Even the publically declared 'doubters' here know there is no doubt there at all.  Rivalry doesn't always have to represent closeness to each other in quality - it's a mix of emotions, history and the gritted teeth bite that gives such games an explosive passionate quality.

Some of those battles in the past were truly brutal and visceral on a level far exceeding the levels of Pro12 and getting on to be full 'International' force collisions.

In Europe, I think it would have to be Clermont.  The side that have tried to put a spanner in the works so often and have managed it on occasion too.  The extra spice being that Cotter and Schmidt were one time colleagues in the same team and then became out and out rivals.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 04 Mar 2014, 9:16 am

George Carlin wrote:For Glasgow, I suppose that out of courtesy I should mentioned our quiche-eating, exfoliating, tweed-wearing, servant-beating, Pimms-drinking, cousin copulating brethren on the East Coast seeing as we play the world's oldest inter-district match with them and all that.

Practically, although the feelings probably won't be reciprocated, our biggest rivals would have to be Leinster, a team that we post the occasional victory against (including being the last team to beat them at the RDS) but we just cannot get past them in the playoffs or at any other time when it really matters. With my one eye firmly blinking, I think that Glasgow v Leinster is the best game in the league for intensity.

I agree with Fly Leinster Galsgow fixtures tend to throw up some pretty good rugby. It is probably one of our top four fixtures annually in the league.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueMuff Tue 04 Mar 2014, 10:00 am

Guns you really do make me laugh. That chip on your shoulder grows bigger by the day. Let it go man!

So moving the game to the Aviva is to accomodate 38,000 Munster supporters (the difference between the ramshackle RDS and the Aviva.

I dont think so. There may be 8,000 Munster in March but the other 43000 will be Leinster. You really would try argue black is white.

CHIP CHIP CHIP

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Tue 04 Mar 2014, 10:13 am

I disagree with Guns, even though he's clearly bringing a lot of passion and honesty to the table. I think it’s possible to keep up a rivalry with a team despite having beaten them very regularly.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue 04 Mar 2014, 10:18 am

Hang on there biscuit - guns needs to go on a training course to Munster about passion and honesty in particular  Smile 

Munster have trade marked those traits!
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 04 Mar 2014, 10:22 am

Bath only have a successful club season if we beat Tigers and Glaws at the Recreation Ground. A pre season win over Brizzle would be an added bonus.

Quins and Wasps have been overtaken by Sarries as the London team to beat and on that front, so far we have failed miserably this season, although a playoff win would be a fine redemption.

Not interested in euro club rivalries some of whom are effectively test sides.

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue 04 Mar 2014, 10:24 am

beshocked wrote:boomeranga how does your rivalry compare with the rest of the Aussie clubs?

NSW QLD rivalry in union dates back to 1880s I think. 130 years of rivalry. No other rivalry comes close in Oz union and possibly Oz sport.

Saw Atleti draw 2 - 2 with Real Madrid. Hate levels are high and Canterbury and Auckland don't compare but there's more feeling in those encounters than Canterbury and Otago.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 04 Mar 2014, 10:28 am

The best rivalries are those involving Proximity and history. Now to a large degree professionalism reforged the rivalries as teams no longer competed against each other - or indeed no longer existed.

My first "adult" club was West Hartlepool - and Gosforth were most definitely the club we most wanted to beat. Sadly not a rivalry that exists as such any more.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 04 Mar 2014, 10:33 am

BlueMuff wrote:Guns you really do make me laugh. That chip on your shoulder grows bigger by the day. Let it go man!

So moving the game to the Aviva is to accomodate 38,000 Munster supporters (the difference between the ramshackle RDS and the Aviva.

I dont think so. There may be 8,000 Munster in March but the other 43000 will be Leinster. You really would try argue black is white.

CHIP CHIP CHIP

No there are more away fans (Munster fans) than Ulster fans in Dublin and therefore the games are switched to the Aviva for Munster Leinster games.

Munster rugby isnt even on my radar to have a chip on my shoulder. It tends to work the other way round anyway.

Any percieved rivalry is a bit like a big brother little brother deal. The little brother (Munster) always competing with the older brother (Leinster). The older brother practically unaware that the younger brother is trying so hard.

Last edited by GunsGerms on Tue 04 Mar 2014, 10:42 am; edited 3 times in total

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 04 Mar 2014, 10:34 am

Sin é wrote:Hang on there biscuit - guns needs to go on a training course to Munster about passion and honesty in particular  Smile 

Munster have trade marked those traits!

Dont forget about heart, grit, dog and fight. I think Munster should just trade mark rugby.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next