The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Club rivalries

+23
Hound of Harrow
LondonTiger
kiakahaaotearoa
Mickado
BlueMuff
SecretFly
George Carlin
B91212
nathan
yappysnap
Welly
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
offload
Ozzy3213
Jimpy
Sin é
rodders
GunsGerms
doctor_grey
HongKongCherry
killer938
boomeranga
beshocked
27 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Club rivalries - Page 2 Empty Club rivalries

Post by beshocked Mon 03 Mar 2014, 11:32 am

First topic message reminder :

This has been done before of course but I thought I would bring this up again.

Who would you say are your main club rivals - this could be in your domestic league but also in Europe too.

Personally as a Sarries fan our no 1 rivals would be Saints in the AP. Not just because both clubs are top of the summit. It's been like that for some time. This season there is the potential to meet 5 times. The rivalry has ebbed and flowed with Saints now holding the ascendency in the last three matches.

Other than Saints I wouldn't say we truly have any other rivals though perhaps Leicester because of the two titanic AP final tussles.

Not sure we have arrived on the Tigers radar yet.

Rivalries can be one sided of course with one team seeing it as a rivalry whereas the other doesn't.

I suppose in Europe it would be Biarritz with both teams winning all their home games against each other and both handing each a humiliating defeat. Though this rivalry probably isn't going to be reunited for some time with the fall of Biarritz.

Haven't played other sides in Europe enough yet though potential is there with Ulster,Clermont and Toulon.

What are yours?

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Club rivalries - Page 2 Empty Re: Club rivalries

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue 04 Mar 2014, 10:37 am

Not to mention appropriate responses to hakas.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Tue 04 Mar 2014, 11:01 am

For Wasps fans, historically it's been Quins as both were formed out of the same club (Hampstead RFC) in the 1860s.

However, during the noughties it was definitely Tigers. We would always struggle in a league format against them in the Prem, HC and AW. But when it came to a final they could never beat us.

Many Tigers fans have never forgiven us for ruining Martin Johnson's retirement game in the 2005 Prem final with a 39-14 thrashing handed out by Wasps.

Dallaglio's retirement game in the 2008 final ended in another Wasps win to go with the HC victory over Tigers the season before.

Both teams also won an EDF semi against the other during this period.

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Tue 04 Mar 2014, 11:52 am

Hound of Harrow wrote:For Wasps fans, historically it's been Quins as both were formed out of the same club (Hampstead RFC) in the 1860s.

However, during the noughties it was definitely Tigers. We would always struggle in a league format against them in the Prem, HC and AW. But when it came to a final they could never beat us.Many Tigers fans have never forgiven us for ruining Martin Johnson's retirement game in the 2005 Prem final with a 39-14 thrashing handed out by Wasps.

Dallaglio's retirement game in the 2008 final ended in another Wasps win to go with the HC victory over Tigers the season before.

Are you absolutely sure about that...

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by MunsterMac Tue 04 Mar 2014, 1:58 pm

From a Munster perspective without a doubt our greatest rivals domestically would be Leinster a view reciprocated by most Leinster fans I would say.

Even before the game went pro both provinces had a great rivalry with both of them winning 22 inter-pros but since the early 2000's the rivalry has gone to a new level with both having periods of superiority over the other.

Both have great victories over each other in League finals and in the knockout stages of the Heineken Cup.

On the European front I think our greatest rivals would be the Tigers and I must say it's very gratifying from a Munster supporters point of view to see how many fans from other clubs who consider Munster to be their biggest rival.

And of course lets not forget the international scene where although we've played and beaten many international sides without a doubt our biggest rivals would be New Zealand remembering that Munster are the only Irish side to ever beat the mighty All Blacks. Incidentally we also drew with them in 1973 and who could forget the 2008 haka when Munster were the only club side that New Zealand agreed to play.

MunsterMac

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 04 Mar 2014, 2:02 pm

Internationally speaking...I'd have to say Ireland's greatest rival is probably Munster.

Can't get the basterauds off our backs no matter what grade we play!

Even Keane and O'Neill are worried about Munster being in their tough as nails Euro group.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue 04 Mar 2014, 3:39 pm

Keano is a big Munster fan  Wink 

http://inpho.ie/media/4wIxymdJ2gAQq1qQlZmEbQ..a?ts=JCyIr1MwjzErTgHlEA2Efg..a
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 04 Mar 2014, 3:48 pm

Keane is a big fan of rugby period, I think.  I think he'd have been a pretty good centre-like player too.  

Who knows, he may even harbour some regrets that his path took him down the football route... I think the physical nature of rugby attracts him.... it certainly attracted him in football Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 04 Mar 2014, 3:53 pm

He's have to have kept those studs down in rugby the naughty scallywag.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue 04 Mar 2014, 4:09 pm

SecretFly wrote:Keane is a big fan of rugby period, I think.  I think he'd have been a pretty good centre-like player too.  

Who knows, he may even harbour some regrets that his path took him down the football route... I think the physical nature of rugby attracts him.... it certainly attracted him in football Wink

Born in the wrong town on the wrong side of the tracks  .... if he was born in Limerick he would have played rugby. I'd have had him as a scrumhalf as he is quite small really.

He spent a week with the All Blacks a few years ago (when he was doing his coaching badges).

ps - I have only ever seen him at games that Munster are involved in.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 04 Mar 2014, 4:53 pm

Sin é wrote:

Your observational skills are letting you down, sin... substantial and all as they are Wink

On the other points, he's as tall as O'Driscoll... bulking out wouldn't have been an issue.  And he didn't blame the idea that he wasn't born in Limerick for him not playing rugby as a kid and rather the idea that "I never went to a Private school".

That's Limerick ---- full of Private schools and posh people Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue 04 Mar 2014, 5:04 pm

SecretFly wrote:
Sin é wrote:

Your observational skills are letting you down, sin... substantial and all as they are Wink

On the other points, he's as tall as O'Driscoll... bulking out wouldn't have been an issue.  And he didn't blame the idea that he wasn't born in Limerick for him not playing rugby as a kid and rather the idea that "I never went to a Private school".

That's Limerick ---- full of Private schools and posh people Wink

Name the private school in Limerick for me.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 04 Mar 2014, 5:06 pm

Crescent college and St Munchins?

Glenstall is nearby too isnt it? Very impressive school.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 04 Mar 2014, 5:09 pm

Ask Roy, Sin..........., he's the one who thought it needed to be a Private school background that would have gotten him into rugby. I'm just querying that idea and coming the conclusion that Limerick must be stuffed with them Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue 04 Mar 2014, 5:12 pm

GunsGerms wrote:Crescent college and St Munchins?

Crescent is a comprehensive now. The Js handed it over to the State.
Munchins isn't private.

Glenstal is the only private school in Limerick now.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 04 Mar 2014, 5:16 pm

I think he'd have been scrum half too, a bit like a mini Mike Phillips, always up to no good - he practiced his rucking skills on Gareth Southgate and Alfie Haaland already so he's good to go.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 04 Mar 2014, 5:17 pm

Sin é wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:Crescent college and St Munchins?

Crescent is a comprehensive now. The Js handed it over to the State.
Munchins isn't private.

Why did the Jesuits give away Crescent???

Was just guessing re munchins. I almost went to Glenstall. Was my second choice.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by MunsterMac Tue 04 Mar 2014, 5:20 pm

What about Villers?

Pretty sure that's private.

MunsterMac

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue 04 Mar 2014, 5:25 pm

rodders wrote:I think he'd have been scrum half too, a bit like a mini Mike Phillips, always up to no good - he practiced his rucking skills on Gareth Southgate and Alfie Haaland already so he's good to go.  

The pack would be terrified of him. Can you imagine what he do to anyone he caught ruck inspecting Shocked Even Mal would have pulled up his socks.

Two Munster players at the moment in Munster squad that went to Glenstal (both from Cork). Duncan Casey (our latest addition to the Munster hooker production line), and Ian Nagle.

Duncan spends time on twitter fighting with Zionists  Very Happy  whereas Zebo is chatting with the likes of Joey Barton.

It takes all sorts.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Tue 04 Mar 2014, 5:26 pm

Jimpy - I am talking about the noughties when we played Tigers in three finals and won them all. There may have been a domestic cup final back in the distant past, but I don't recall Wasps making many of them.

The last team to beat Wasps in a final was Sarries in1998. Since then Wasps have won all ten of the finals they have competed in.

Sarries - 1999 Tetley Bitter Cup.
Saints - 2000 Tetley Bitter Cup.
Glaws - 2003 Prem final.
Bath - 2003 ECC (Parker Pen Shield.
Toulouse - 2004 HC.
Bath - 2004 Prem final.
Tigers - 2005 Prem final.
Scarlets - 2006 EDF (Anglo/Welsh) Cup.
Tigers - 2007 HC.
Tigers - 2008 Prem final.

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue 04 Mar 2014, 5:36 pm

MunsterMac wrote:

What about Villers?

It is, but I think they are more into hockey rather than rugby.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 04 Mar 2014, 5:39 pm

Deja vu.  On the other hand, Sexton might have made a good 'staunch' midfielder in the Premiership:

Club rivalries - Page 2 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS5eHunvDWabEmMrxgM_0N4UTNuel318_vwrqcWBLkslxha0r1HeQ

Club rivalries - Page 2 Rog2

Or maybe just he and Roy would have been better off as boxers:

Club rivalries - Page 2 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSiK1_8ZTp6U5KIwzfzuSz_6W0OJmG2dCVPLtNVH7ulPv8cmg4a

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue 04 Mar 2014, 9:11 pm

LondonTiger wrote:The best rivalries are those involving Proximity and history. Now to a large degree professionalism reforged the rivalries as teams no longer competed against each other - or indeed no longer existed.

My first "adult" club was West Hartlepool - and Gosforth were most definitely the club we most wanted to beat. Sadly not a rivalry that exists as such any more.

West are still going LT, they're based just around the corner from myself. I think they had an impressive 7 straight relegations. Be good to see them up near the top again.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 04 Mar 2014, 9:18 pm

Oh I know West are still with us, just after the dalliance with professionalism they went into free-fall, while Gosforth well Smile

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Wed 05 Mar 2014, 2:33 am

The Auckland Canterbury one is probably the primary rivalry in NZ due to the 80's which had some spectacular matches. Professionalism has greatly watered down the true rivalrys where all us kids in Auckland thought wearing nothing other than the blue and white of Auckland. Now its, well if I can't play here, I'll play there.

So while fans may (quite ignorantly if I'm honest) still be frothing at the mouth over these same matches, after the match the players of both sides are happily having a meal together and have friendships outside the rivalry- all a days work.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Wed 05 Mar 2014, 7:50 am

Hound of Harrow wrote:Jimpy - I am talking about the noughties when we played Tigers in three finals and won them all. There may have been a domestic cup final back in the distant past, but I don't recall Wasps making many of them.

The last team to beat Wasps in a final was Sarries in1998. Since then Wasps have won all ten of the finals they have competed in.

Sarries - 1999 Tetley Bitter Cup.
Saints - 2000 Tetley Bitter Cup.
Glaws - 2003 Prem final.
Bath - 2003 ECC (Parker Pen Shield.
Toulouse - 2004 HC.
Bath - 2004 Prem final.
Tigers - 2005 Prem final.
Scarlets - 2006 EDF (Anglo/Welsh) Cup.
Tigers - 2007 HC.
Tigers - 2008 Prem final.

Ah... Wasps and trophies.... distant memories  laughing 

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 05 Mar 2014, 8:04 am

Hound of Harrow wrote:For Wasps fans, historically it's been Quins as both were formed out of the same club (Hampstead RFC) in the 1860s.

However, during the noughties it was definitely Tigers. We would always struggle in a league format against them in the Prem, HC and AW. But when it came to a final they could never beat us.

Many Tigers fans have never forgiven us for ruining Martin Johnson's retirement game in the 2005 Prem final with a 39-14 thrashing handed out by Wasps.

That was a fairly short lived rivalry, but it was more cheating the replacement laws that wound us up than anything else. Before that it was Bath (although Stuart Barnes is determined that this is still the biggest rivalry in club rugby). After that there was all the bad blood with Ospreys.
Northampton though has always been the local rival through all the short term spats.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Wed 05 Mar 2014, 8:21 am

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:

That was a fairly short lived rivalry, but it was more cheating the replacement laws that wound us up than anything else. Before that it was Bath (although Stuart Barnes is determined that this is still the biggest rivalry in club rugby). After that there was all the bad blood with Ospreys.
Northampton though has always been the local rival through all the short term spats.

Uncontested scrums anyone...?

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by MunsterMac Wed 05 Mar 2014, 10:32 am

MunsterMac wrote:
What about Villers?

No they're into their rugby too but they are a 'B' school and play in the Mungret Cup. I think their playing numbers are quite small.

MunsterMac

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 05 Mar 2014, 10:40 am

MunsterMac wrote:
MunsterMac wrote:
What about Villers?

No they're into their rugby too but they are a 'B' school and play in the Mungret Cup. I think their playing numbers are quite small.

Ireland's continuing problem.  Pick BIG ONES!!!!!!!!!!!!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2