The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+27
TopoftheChops
lorus59
hend085
Davie
dynamark
I'm never wrong
gaelgowfer
Roller_Coaster
Bob_the_Job
MustPuttBetter
JAS
MontysMerkin
raycastleunited
kwinigolfer
navyblueshorts
mystiroakey
westisbest
golfermartin
McLaren
pedro
super_realist
skyeman
incontinentia
GunsGerms
beninho
Diggers
Duty281
31 posters

Page 5 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 5 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by Duty281 Fri 25 Apr 2014, 3:44 pm

First topic message reminder :

beninho wrote:Instead of a protest vote, then its better to spoil your ballot.

Ukip are dangerous because some people actually believe what they say, and they target the middle classes in areas of law multi culturalism - ( if thats a word). And as gets shown every now and then, the Councillors they put up have been shown as a bit racist. But its easy for them to make grand statements, because realistically they will not get voted in and have to back up the statements they have made.  

Have no fear, the nutters are getting kicked out at regular intervals.

And some people may believe what they say for, a lot of the time, it's common sense.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by beninho Mon 12 May 2014, 8:28 am

Cole has been playing just as well this season. But it is time for youth to get some experience. He is probably a better defensive full back then Baines and Shaw.

What makes you think he is a moron / scumbag?? I've barely heard him speak and he doesn't do media at all. Is it because you're a big Cheryl tweedy fan?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Mon 12 May 2014, 8:44 am

She's a worthless, talentless waste of skin too Ben.

Lot's of stories about him being an unpleasant oik.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 12 May 2014, 9:12 am

Well he did shoot a Chelsea apprentice in the eye. Then there's all the stuff about his salary at Arsenal being an insult.
He's a bit like Terry, blames the press for everything, nothing is his fault. Listen to his interview after Chelsea had won the Champions League..talk about a bitter man.
That said probably the best defensive full back I've ever seen, even this year his display against Munich was exceptional.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 12 May 2014, 9:13 am

Super

Why do you comment on football as it is clear you never watch any matches and just form opinions based on tabloid stories?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Mon 12 May 2014, 9:18 am

crazy decision to bring Shaw instead of Ashley Cole IMO.
who would you rather have playing when its backs to the walls defending against one of the top nations in a 1/4 or 1/2 final?

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 12 May 2014, 9:22 am

IMO, I think Cole should probably be there although don't think it should matter that much. Shaw looks like he has a big future and Baines was always going to go but I'm with hend085; nothing about Cole's play this season (when he's been called on) has looked like he wouldn't be more than able this Summer. After the World Cup, he could have quietly been put out to grass.
He is a prat though so S_R's right about that!
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Mon 12 May 2014, 9:23 am

also about him being a moron or scumbag... this is a real show of class

Cole wrote on his Twitter feed: "I got the call from Roy and agree England team should be about the young players. I think it best I retire from England team now.

"We have a great manager and team and I wish them only success. I will be supporting them like a true fan. Thanks to everyone for everything."

and...

http://balls.ie/football/lovely-story-might-prove-ashley-cole-actually-gentleman/

just to bring some balance to the stuff reported by the Sun

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 12 May 2014, 9:26 am

The "classy" thing would be to leave any announcements until AFTER the team is selected, not court publicity by ensuring he's talked about prior to the announcement.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 12 May 2014, 9:27 am

hend085 wrote:crazy decision to bring Shaw instead of Ashley Cole IMO.
who would you rather have playing when its backs to the walls defending against one of the top nations in a 1/4 or 1/2 final?

When would that ever happen? Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh 

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Mon 12 May 2014, 10:41 am

2 fair points!

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon 12 May 2014, 1:28 pm

http://www.independent.ie/sport/irish-punter-lands-577k-bonanza-with-premier-league-accumulator-30265952.html

Nice little payout, must've been the luck of the Irish.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 12 May 2014, 1:29 pm

Should buy a few spud peelers.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 12 May 2014, 2:05 pm

I'd make four changes to the Hodgson squad:
Defoe instead of Welbeck.
Barry rather than Lampard
Flanagan in place of Smalling. (If Smalling is centre-back cover I'd prefer Michael Dawson.
Ruddy rather than Forster

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon 12 May 2014, 2:27 pm

Think Frank is lucky to get the call to be honest. I would agree with Woy that the squad needs one or two old hands in there and I guess that it was maybe a choice between Lamps and Cole (though they are different positions) .. I suspect Lamps got in ahead of Cole to provide cover for Gerrard .. we all know they can't play together but if anything were to happen to Gerrard then he still needs an old hand in there amongst the youngsters.

Personally I'd have left Frank at home and still taken Cole. Great to see Barkley, Ox, Wilshere, Sterling and Lallana all included in the midfield though

From that squad my starting Xi would be...

Hart, Johnson, Cahill, Jagielka, Baines, Gerrard, Wilshire, Ox (or Lallana), Sterlin, Rooney, Sturridge

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon 12 May 2014, 2:34 pm

I can't really fault it. Lampard is lucky..but I don't see much in it with Barry. I also think he is a good influence on the squad when not playing. He does seem a decent pro. No real right back cover apart from smalling or Jones. And rickie Lambert takes a mean penalty.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon 12 May 2014, 2:36 pm

First game team similar to Davies but I'd say Henderson for Wilshire, Milner on left lalana on right and Rooney behind sturridge. Though Milner only in because we play Italy.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 12 May 2014, 2:39 pm

Fair enough Davie, tho' I would've thought there must be big ???????????'s against the fitness (certainly match fitness) of Wilshere and Ox.
Think Lallana would be the first name on my team sheet, at least among the attacking players.
Still not convinced Sturridge has ever made a tackle and not sure that either he or Welbeck are the greatest ever team players.

Think England play Italy on the Saturday of the US Open. And I'm supposed to be at a wedding. Do you think there'll be a couple of big screen TV's there?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 12 May 2014, 2:42 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Fair enough Davie, tho' I would've thought there must be big ???????????'s against the fitness (certainly match fitness) of Wilshere and Ox.
Think Lallana would be the first name on my team sheet, at least among the attacking players.
Still not convinced Sturridge has ever made a tackle and not sure that either he or Welbeck are the greatest ever team players.

Think England play Italy on the Saturday of the US Open. And I'm supposed to be at a wedding. Do you think there'll be a couple of big screen TV's there?

If Not Kwini. Get it sorted out or pull a sicky!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 12 May 2014, 2:47 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:I'd make four changes to the Hodgson squad:
Defoe instead of Welbeck.
Barry rather than Lampard
Flanagan in place of Smalling. (If Smalling is centre-back cover I'd prefer Michael Dawson.
Ruddy rather than Forster

I would prefer Dann from palace to be honest as a central defender- He has been outstanding for palace this year. BUt that was never on the cards was it!! sadly

anyway - welbeck is a pretty decent team player- did very well on the wings in the last two qualifying games and tracks back well for england.

I wouldn't start him as it wouldn't be my shape(433)

I would play a 4231.

similar team to the last friendly v Denmark but a tweak in formation.

sterling and lallana on the wings with rooney or Barkley no 10 with rooney or sturridge as the striker.

Henderson and Gerard the 2 CM's

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon 12 May 2014, 2:53 pm

Will play 4231. Rooney behind sturridge. Sterling will 've best as an impact sub. Welbeck or Milner on left as both work hard.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 12 May 2014, 2:54 pm

Not a bad World Cup squad, not sure he knows his best starting 11 yet though. There isn't what Id call an out and out winger. A few can play wide, like Stirling and Wellbeck but I don't think its eithers best position.
Just shows in the modern game how important full backs are in getting width in a side, probably why he took Shaw over Cole as Cashley doesn't have the legs for that kind of game anymore.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 12 May 2014, 2:57 pm

beninho wrote:Will play 4231. Rooney behind sturridge. Sterling will 've best as an impact sub. Welbeck or Milner on left as both work hard.

welbeck seems to be preferred in a 433- which ends up actually being a 442 as he stays on the wing anyway.

Welbeck and milner are great back up players for a variety of positions- both very good work rates and very used to coming on as subs for there sides

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 12 May 2014, 3:05 pm

Re Milner it depends how he's played. He got slated completely in the last Euros, mainly because Roy told him to come on and play a defensive role.
When he plays for City he's been quite creative, looks a much better player this year. Worth his squad place but not a starter for me.
I think Lampard is a decent call, another old head is no bad thing and they can have so many people on the bench he's worth it for a late sub to take a pen if we have any subs left. Lets face it at least 5-6 of them won't play.
Smalling is the shocker for me, if either him or Jones have to paly right back then we are in big trouble.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 12 May 2014, 3:08 pm

You lot trying to put a sprig of parsley on a dog turd?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 12 May 2014, 3:12 pm

Super, if you like football then its nice to have an interest. However long it may last....
Personally if Roy goes attacking I think we make the quarters.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 12 May 2014, 3:14 pm

I've more respect for Roy than most England managers, trouble is he's probably a bit too bright for the players. He's probably the only World Class asset they have

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 12 May 2014, 3:17 pm

The exclusion of carrick tells me he is going realitively attacking and has no use for a "5th defender" as that is all he has been at united this season.

And he certainly hasnt been a bad player for united either. So his exclusion is a positive note

It was only a couple of months ago when SR was saying that scotland are an emerging talent in the footballing stakes  laughing 

Yet he is as english as they come on other subjects yet as scottish as possible when it comes to football.

You can take a turd out of the toilet- but it doesn't stop it from being a turd!

Last edited by mystiroakey on Mon 12 May 2014, 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon 12 May 2014, 3:17 pm

Super - the fact is we are there . .so we have to talk about it. Call it "making the best of a bad lot" if you like, but as Hodgson said when asked if they had a chance, he replied "yes otherwise what's the point of sending a squad at all". The WC would be a very boring tournament if you only allowed teams with a realistic chance of winning. Spain, Brazil, Germany .. errrmmmm ..

Agree about the fitness concerns over Wilshire especially and perhaps Ox too .. but if they can stay fit they've not got time to get back to full fitness and at their best are worthy of a place in any team

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 12 May 2014, 3:19 pm

Not sure about that, I'm not really that big a fan of his. His sides are usually dull as dishwater to watch so I'm not convinced when he says that he's going to go for it.
I think he gets more credit for being a decent bloke than a great manager.
But I'll give him a chance to stick by what's he's said, there are plenty of goals in the side he could pick and I'm sure all England fans would rather see an attacking failure than a constant rearguard action.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 12 May 2014, 3:24 pm

If Carrick were Spanish or dutch he would have 100 caps.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 12 May 2014, 3:26 pm

Steady Oakey, I didn't say The Sweaties were an emerging talent, If I recall I said they were making progress, given rather a poor pool of talent.

I've no interest in Scottish football, nor the Scottish nation as a sporting entity, I don't care whether they succeed (Laugh) or fail (although I do like seeing Jocks crying their eyes out), but I can acknowledge that they are/were doing well at the time I made the comment.

On another note, is England's talent pool decreasing? Seems Hodgson's 23 isn't much different from anyone elses. Did it pick itself and does that make them somewhat predictable?
Very hard group to progress from. That would be relative success I think given the location and opposition.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 12 May 2014, 3:34 pm

McLaren wrote:If Carrick were Spanish or dutch he would have 100 caps.
Rolling Eyes Highly unlikely.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 12 May 2014, 3:35 pm

Seems like a decent squad to me. Especially when you look at the individuals and the other squads invidividuals and what they done this year.

It's been a decent year for English players attacking wise. We have about 6 in the top 10 for scoring and assisting combined.  When you only have 33% player pool in the league it's not bad.

No expectations really but there are some decent players this year.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Mon 12 May 2014, 4:28 pm

England will never make it to the top (again) until it significantly reduces the number of foreign players into its league teams.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 12 May 2014, 4:29 pm

taking our jawwwwwwbbbbbbsss.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 12 May 2014, 4:51 pm

Lads - i hope the ones that dont normally will go onto the footy boards pre and during the WC. Its better the more posters we have. Even you Sr- Its good to have the other view!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 12 May 2014, 5:02 pm

I don't begrudge England success, I certainly cheer them on in most sports, If they deserve it, I can't possibly deny any wins they get, it's more the expectation certain quarters  have. Totally unrealistic and I genuinely think that's the only real reason people like seeing England fail, due to this perceived arrogance of how some England fans think they are a big team, feared and in contention.

It's less "over the top" this year, finally and mercifully and England are made easier to like by the absence of Terry, Ferdinand, Cole etc.

Nice to see fewer players picked on their celebrity tabloid column inches like they used to be and refreshing to see the Southampton boys, Forster and Baines too.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 12 May 2014, 5:49 pm

To be fair there was zilch expectation in South Africa and none at the last Euros.
Gael is right, we do need to get more English players playing regularly in the Premier league, but I think the ones that are making it tend to be of good quality as this squad shows.
Centre halfs are the glaring problem for me really, especially as I don't think Gerrards defensive game is that amazing.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon 12 May 2014, 7:59 pm

If the sweaties vote for independence we can start by getting rid of them. Not that there are that many

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 12 May 2014, 8:11 pm

I doubt that will happen even if they are not part of the EU.

A special agreement will probably be arranged for freedom of movement just like it was in Ireland before the EU.

We will still be tied in many ways- we will just spend billions in t he process to appease the scots that love whiskey, kilts, haggis and brave heart too much.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 12 May 2014, 8:46 pm

mystiroakey wrote:I doubt that will happen even if they are not part of the EU.

A special agreement will probably be arranged for freedom of movement just like it was in Ireland before the EU.

We will still be tied in many ways- we will just spend billions in t he process to appease the scots that love whiskey, kilts, haggis and brave heart too much.

Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh 

Don't forget Shortbread Oakey and tartan rugs.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 12 May 2014, 11:45 pm

Rio Ferdinand moving a step up in his career... Leaving ManU for (presumably) West Ham.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 13 May 2014, 8:58 am

pedro wrote:Rio Ferdinand moving a step up in his career... Leaving ManU for (presumably) West Ham.
Why would anyone want him? He'd be too expensive and is a walking back injury now. Great value for money...not! Only way anyone should take him is on some sort of pay-for-play deal. Added to all that, he's a prat as well.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 13 May 2014, 10:10 am

Ferdinand was a brilliant player but time to hang up the boots. He was outstanding when they won the title last and him and Vidic are one of the best centre back pairings the Premiership has had.
I wouldnt say he was a prat particularly, he likes to have a laugh and have fun but there is never anything malicious in what he does. He's also involved, and I mean properly involved, in football against racism and a whole load of other charities he actually puts time into.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Tue 13 May 2014, 10:48 am

Didn't he once "accidentally miss" a drugs test?
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 13 May 2014, 10:55 am

When asked to pick a 5 aside team from the bbc world cup pundits, rio responded to where Savage could play be saying that savage could clean his boots.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Tue 13 May 2014, 11:00 am

He comes across as a bit of a prat on occasion (if not more) but was a brilliant centre back. I'd bet that any/all City, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool managers would have had him and put him as first choice CB had he not gone to/been at Utd. But now is the right time (well after last season probably) to step away from the top sides, not enough pace and not enough time on his side to build a partnership.

United States of soccerball is calling I reckon for some more wedge before he finally quits. Could do a job in Italy maybe. If staying UK, somewhere where bringing kids through is a priority would be a good move for them, I think he'd be brilliant to learn from.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Tue 13 May 2014, 11:10 am

mystiroakey wrote:Seems like a decent squad to me. Especially when you look at the individuals and the other squads invidividuals and what they done this year.

It's been a decent year for English players attacking wise. We have about 6 in the top 10 for scoring and assisting combined.  When you only have 33% player pool in the league it's not bad.

No expectations really but there are some decent players this year.

If only 33% to choose from then pick players who play abroad. Apart from Foster (if Scotland is abroad) there are none to choose from. There can't be many other countries that only have home based players in the squad. Does that say something about English talent?

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 13 May 2014, 11:13 am

Yeah, shows they aren't ambitious enough.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 13 May 2014, 11:45 am

10-15 years ago or so the Bundesliga had bunch of foreign top players and hardly any top Germans. Consequently the national side suffered. Now it's not like that as we all know. But it's a bit chicken or egg.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next