The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+27
TopoftheChops
lorus59
hend085
Davie
dynamark
I'm never wrong
gaelgowfer
Roller_Coaster
Bob_the_Job
MustPuttBetter
JAS
MontysMerkin
raycastleunited
kwinigolfer
navyblueshorts
mystiroakey
westisbest
golfermartin
McLaren
pedro
super_realist
skyeman
incontinentia
GunsGerms
beninho
Diggers
Duty281
31 posters

Page 7 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 7 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by Duty281 Fri 25 Apr 2014, 3:44 pm

First topic message reminder :

beninho wrote:Instead of a protest vote, then its better to spoil your ballot.

Ukip are dangerous because some people actually believe what they say, and they target the middle classes in areas of law multi culturalism - ( if thats a word). And as gets shown every now and then, the Councillors they put up have been shown as a bit racist. But its easy for them to make grand statements, because realistically they will not get voted in and have to back up the statements they have made.  

Have no fear, the nutters are getting kicked out at regular intervals.

And some people may believe what they say for, a lot of the time, it's common sense.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 7 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Fri 16 May 2014, 10:16 am

OH right, that's why they knocked down Wembley.
Turnberry has neither heritage or listed status.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 7 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by Diggers Fri 16 May 2014, 10:38 am

Of course it has heritage.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri 16 May 2014, 10:44 am

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/magazines/allwoman/Sudan-judge-says-pregnant-Christian-woman-to-hang-for-apostasy_16676572

Note to self: Don't visit Sudan.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 16 May 2014, 10:50 am

Diggers wrote:Of course it has heritage.

I said it didn't have a heritage "status" as in one that is protected by law, any way, who are any of us to decide what is best for a course we aren't even members of, and probably haven't even played.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 16 May 2014, 10:51 am

incontinentia wrote:http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/magazines/allwoman/Sudan-judge-says-pregnant-Christian-woman-to-hang-for-apostasy_16676572

Note to self: Don't visit Sudan.

Why would anyone want to. Even more backward than Ireland.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri 16 May 2014, 10:54 am

Travel broadens the mind super, you should try it sometime.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 16 May 2014, 10:55 am

incontinentia wrote:Travel broadens the mind super, you should try it sometime.
I travel plenty INco, but I've no interest in going to places like that. Been to a few Islamic countries, not keen on doing it again.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 16 May 2014, 12:27 pm

super_realist wrote:I can't imagine Gael gives a toss about those "poor" people in Balmedie and simply uses it as another way to bash Trump.

Why would Gael even care if Trump changed Turnberry, it belongs to him. Would Trump care if Gael changed her net curtains without consulting him?
You only assume that because you don't give a toss. Don't assume everyone is cut from the same cloth as your good self.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 16 May 2014, 12:31 pm

I've seen nothing which would suggest otherwise Navy, I admit I don't give a toss about them, but Gael seems to think the only person who has ever done a business deal which not everyone likes, and which might even have questionable morality is Trump.

Does she cry into her pension book knowing that it's been invested in companies like BP which have a dubious history in African countries? Doubt it.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Fri 16 May 2014, 1:27 pm

It's only five years since The Open was at Turnberry. I know for a fact that other parts of the course were lengthened for that event.  One has to wonder why, therefore, if indeed the R&A wanted to extend out onto the rocks, they didn't do it then?

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 16 May 2014, 1:39 pm

Has anyone EVER got anything the way they wanted it first time?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Sat 17 May 2014, 6:35 am

gaelgowfer wrote:It's only five years since The Open was at Turnberry. I know for a fact that other parts of the course were lengthened for that event.  One has to wonder why, therefore, if indeed the R&A wanted to extend out onto the rocks, they didn't do it then?

Aren't Open rota courses always tweaked at some point in between being announced as the venue and the event taking place?? Apart from TOC the other courses have an average 10 year wait in between hosting. The R&A always want a exacting test, therefore there are usually changes as the game moves on. I assume the same is true for U.S. Open rota courses and just look at how Augusta has changed over the years. Take your "Trumpophobia" out of the equation and you'd realise that if/when Turnberry gets awarded another Open, it will probably be "tweaked" before the event, regardless of who the owner is.

Anyway, regarding Turnberry, I thought they were told in 1994 that the Open wouldn't be returning until the Maybole bypass was built? Somehow they got it in 2009 but the new road is still not there. Maybe South Ayrshire Council should ask the wigged one to help finance the building of the bypass.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Sat 17 May 2014, 9:02 am

Er, yes JAS but that's not the point I was trying to make!  Trump is correct in claiming that (all these years ago) the R&A did consider extending out onto the rocks (just the one tee though) but I can't for the life of me remember why it didn't happen.  Perhaps the then owners simply didn't want it?

Quite a clever ploy really by Trump.  By trying to engage with the R&A on a design issue, just seems to me he's trying to trap them into an obligation to take The Open back to Turnberry asap.

Re the access situation, I'm not familiar with the roads in that part of the world, I just know that (in 2009), even with a dual carriageway, we experienced an horrendous delay in the approach to a large roundabout with traffic lights.  Tickets are far too expensive these days to spend the proverbial half day in a traffic jam!

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat 17 May 2014, 9:37 am

Gael, you see ghosts. Of course Trump wants the Open at his course, who wouldn't.

And claiming he's trying to "fool" R&A into something is a bit tendentious thinking. As far as I know the R&A is not to be fooled unless they want to.

With that being said, I look forward to the Open returning to Turnberry. (As a TV viewer) I think it's (one of) the most exciting courses on the rota.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 17 May 2014, 10:02 am

St georges (so I can watch it) and st Andrews ( update the course to the 21st century though) every other year. Forget the rest of the courses.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Sat 17 May 2014, 10:18 am

"Ghosts"?  Don't be ridiculous.  And, yes, of course I understand that Trump wants an Open.  It's his method of trying to get one that I'm questioning which is entirely reasonable given his history.  And, where have I even suggested the R&A wouldn't see through his ploy?

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 17 May 2014, 10:21 am

What ploy are you talking about gael. Is this the latest conspiracy theory or something.

He has bought a golf course and wants to improve it, and make money on it. He will and is bringing money into Scotland. I would have no problem with him buying up Woburn or the belfry ( stay away from Wentworth though- that is out of his league)

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 17 May 2014, 3:53 pm

Lads I advise you not to watch the Fa cup build up...

Yep the legend pouts is on....

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat 17 May 2014, 4:55 pm

ArseHull

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sat 17 May 2014, 5:28 pm

Cracking cup final so far. I was probably pulling for the Gooners before Mysti reminded me that Poultry is an Arsenal fan.
That football top golf shirt is probably the worst item of clothing ever worn by a golf pro...well maybe not as bad as big JD's strides.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 17 May 2014, 5:29 pm

Great game so far.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 17 May 2014, 7:57 pm

Think Arsenal just about deserved that but they can be infuriating to watch.
Man Citeh reserves will have 2 ex Arsenal full-backs next year by the looks of things . . . . . .

I'm not a huge Walcott fan but at least he offers Arsenal something different from a team full of midfield fiddlers.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 17 May 2014, 8:28 pm

I hope you are not talking about gibbs?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 17 May 2014, 8:29 pm

sagna et clichy

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 18 May 2014, 9:11 am

Diggers wrote:Cracking cup final so far. I was probably pulling for the Gooners before Mysti reminded me that Poultry is an Arsenal fan.
That football top golf shirt is probably the worst item of clothing ever worn by a golf pro...well maybe not as bad as big JD's strides.

It's the worst article of clothing worn by any ADULT.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 18 May 2014, 9:32 am

I dont remember that football golf shirt. But I am happy for the fans, the players and especially Wenger. 

Wenger under scrutiny has stuck by his guns and plays the football he likes to play . The pressure was getting unbearable they needed a trophy.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun 18 May 2014, 10:24 am

Arsenal have shown great loyalty to Wenger in the past years, loyalty he has earned by the way. I'm still not sure they wouldn't benefit from a change though, as London's biggest club Arsenal should be a mega club with Champions league wins in the future, is Wenger the man to deliver that, I'm not sure.
He hated the politics and the big spending too much which is great in principle but ultimately he's basically just raging against the machine.
I'm glad they won though, mainly because Bruce is a fat Geordie Muppet.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 18 May 2014, 10:34 am

Wenger's no 1 team is right up there.

Ramsey , Wilshire, carzolla , flamini and Walcott as the main 5 can out pass and play any team.. One world class forward , leaving giroud, rosicky and ox on the bench is one hell of a side.

I don't buy that the full backs are bad. Sagna is gold enough and Gibbs is v good. Its the  centre backs that are the problem. Mertesacker isn't good enough to organize the defence.

So buy one class defender and striker and arsenals vision can happen next season.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 18 May 2014, 10:39 am

Diggers wrote:Arsenal have shown great loyalty to Wenger in the past years, loyalty he has earned by the way. I'm still not sure they wouldn't benefit from a change though, as London's biggest club Arsenal should be a mega club with Champions league wins in the future, is Wenger the man to deliver that, I'm not sure.
He hated the politics and the big spending too much which is great in principle but ultimately he's basically just raging against the machine.

Bruce was never a slim jim on the pitch, but I was appalled at just how repulsively fat he was when I saw him on the touchline yesterday. HOw can a former professional athlete let himself go quite so catastrophically?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 18 May 2014, 11:10 am

I am sure he will get on the treadmill and diet soon. Or he won't have a long future.

Bruce has done really well first season up.

Big problems for him next season though with the golden chalice of Europe. Its going to be very tough for them to stay up without major investment.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 18 May 2014, 11:33 am

Poisoned chalice, not golden.
Hull would be better off declining the opportunity of "Europe", concentrate on consolidation in the Prem, which will be difficult enough without distractions.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 18 May 2014, 11:35 am

Yes poisoned .. Doh.

Its just so tough to send the reserves out for games in Europe as a team like that when the better players will want to play in those games.

Swansea and Wigan were both impacted big time last season.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 18 May 2014, 11:37 am

I know its called the cup winners cup. But the truth is hull didn't even win a cup anyway.

5th and 6th should play Europa.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 18 May 2014, 11:43 am

Until they find a way to geographically "zone" the early stages of the Europa Cup it's just not worth it - no money in it until you reach the last few rounds and by that time your season's stuffed.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun 18 May 2014, 12:53 pm

I was hoping for wenger to quick the gunners and replace moyes.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sun 18 May 2014, 1:07 pm

Wenger is not a Man U type.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 18 May 2014, 1:38 pm

correct.

I would love to take him as the English manager though. I wouldn't care of we kept losing so long as we played good football doing it- for the future it would help us to draw the gap on technique.

Chile or Holland to win the world cup..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 18 May 2014, 1:50 pm

It would be a massive backward step for someone like Wenger, Mourinho, Ferguson, Van Gaal etc to take the national job of anyone other than a true tournament contender.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 18 May 2014, 2:43 pm

van gaal is going to united  thumbsup

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sun 18 May 2014, 5:46 pm

super_realist wrote:
Diggers wrote:Arsenal have shown great loyalty to Wenger in the past years, loyalty he has earned by the way. I'm still not sure they wouldn't benefit from a change though, as London's biggest club Arsenal should be a mega club with Champions league wins in the future, is Wenger the man to deliver that, I'm not sure.

Bruce was never a slim jim on the pitch, but I was appalled at just how repulsively fat he was when I saw him on the touchline yesterday. HOw can a former professional athlete let himself go quite so catastrophically?

Quite easily.

Alot of them do, not just footballers.

Heard Le Tissier in an interview say, that one good thing about retiring, is he doesn't have to train every day.

I suppose years of hard training and being in shape, strict diet, some dormer pros just let themselves go.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun 18 May 2014, 6:16 pm

I don't think Bruce ever had a strict diet, he was an old school pro who liked a drink and his food and trained for 2 hours 4 days a week.
There is no excuse for being as fat as he is, he's a walking candidate for a heart attack. Souness and Daglish are good examples that you can stay in shape, Souness looks like he could still play.
I'm not sure Le Tiss is a great example to talk about strict training regimes, he hardly ever looked in good nick as a player. Probably why none of the big clubs ever wanted to gamble on building a team around him.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 18 May 2014, 6:35 pm

Diggers wrote:I don't think Bruce ever had a strict diet, he was an old school pro who liked a drink and his food  and trained for 2 hours 4 days a week.
There is no excuse for being as fat as he is, he's a walking candidate for a heart attack. Souness and Daglish are good examples that you can stay in shape, Souness looks like he could still play.
I'm not sure Le Tiss is a great example to talk about strict training regimes, he hardly ever looked in good nick as a player. Probably why none of the big clubs ever wanted to gamble on building a team around him.

Le Tiss, Bruce, Pallister etc did have a "slight" excuse being in the early days of the true professional age, but with the stress of managing a team like Hull, and being the grotesque Salmond-esque bloater, Bruce could easily be the first Premier League manager to die incumbent.

Le Tiss, is a bit like Shane Lowry in some ways, both played at a high level, but not the fitness, training and dedication to make them as good as they could have been. Talent can only get you so far, but I do remember at the time, Le Tiss being one of the most impressive players in terms of sheer skill and imagination, and the youtube clips of his best goals is sensational, if only he was at the peak of his career now, he'd be that rarest of English (or Channel Islander") things, world class.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun 18 May 2014, 6:56 pm

If he was at the peak of his career now he'd need to train a lot harder to keep up with the pace of the game.
It's no coincidence that Ronaldo, who is a way bigger talent than Le Tiss anyway, is known to be one of the worlds best trainers both at practising skills and improving fitness.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 18 May 2014, 7:14 pm

That's sort of what I meant Diggs, if he was around today, by virtue of the game being more professional he would simply have to train harder and actually be the athlete he never was in his heyday.

Incredible eye for goal, and some audacious finishes coupled with proper training and conditioning would be a mean combination.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 18 May 2014, 7:17 pm

Sorry SR but Gaza was on another level...

And talking of Gaza and post career let downs.

I would rather be Bruce even if he is 15 Stone bigger

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun 18 May 2014, 7:18 pm

But he could have been way more professional in his career back in the day, not that many pros took to the field well over weight like ale Tiss.
I suspect his lack of a work ethic would be exactly the same today and prevent him from being a very top drawer player.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 18 May 2014, 7:22 pm

Ronaldo beefed up.

His problem was he would get brushed of the ball. He had all the skills but he needed muscle mass to make him stronger. Something I doubt let tis would ever have
done.

Some players are naturally big and strong like toure , Keane or Barkley. Ronaldo wasn't and did something about it.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 18 May 2014, 7:38 pm

Diggers wrote:But he could have been way more professional in his career back in the day, not that many pros took to the field well over weight like ale Tiss.
I suspect his lack of a work ethic would be exactly the same today and prevent him from being a very top drawer player.

Indeed DIggers, he might well have been, and probably would have been, but it was easier to get away with it back then because the game wasn't so professional in terms of athleticism and also there was a good chance many of your opposition players behaved in the same way. I'm not sure a 2014 Le Tiss without dedication would get out of League 1.

I always preferred Le Tiss to Gascoigne. Both very good, but I think where Le TIss didn't get the credit he was due, I think Gascoigne got rather too much.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun 18 May 2014, 7:41 pm

I'm the other way , Le Tiss had great moments but wasn't a great player. In fact if he wasn't on it he was a liability and had to be carried as he never grafted.
He also never had Gazzas injury problems. I remember Gazza totally boss a Milan side full of Dutch greats..just before he broke his leg again. Was never really the same player after that second bad injury.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 18 May 2014, 7:43 pm

Gaza was on another level at his peak. The quick thinking, the movement, the range of passing, the footwork, the bursting past players from a standstill, the holding up and the strength in the tackle. The only players we have that could potentially be that good are Barkley and Morrison.

Let tis is a very similar player to Lallana. Not the best in the cm. Needs strength around him. Great vision and skills but lacks the strength.needed in that role.

Gaza is the only player we have had that could run the show from cm like a Zidane. It was just sad his peak only lasted a year.

Just watch his highlights at euro 96 to see what he could do.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 20  Next