The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Surrey vs Gloucestershire LV=County Championship

+6
Corporalhumblebucket
kingdaveeagle
thegooch7
Good Golly I'm Olly
guildfordbat
jimbobgooner
10 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Surrey vs Gloucestershire  LV=County Championship Empty Surrey vs Gloucestershire LV=County Championship

Post by jimbobgooner Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:17 am

Surrey have name a thirteen man squad for the LV=County Championship game against Gloucestershire starting on Monday at Bristol.
Hashim Amla returns to the squad having missed the last four day game due to Cricket South Africa commitments. George Edwards is included in a Championship squad for the first time this season but Tom Curran is unavailable because he is sitting an A-Level exam on Monday  Fingers Crossed 
The Surrey squad to play Gloucestershire at the Bristol County Ground on Monday 9th June, Tuesday 10th June, Wednesday 11th June and Thursday 12th June:
Gary Wilson (capt)
Hashim Amla
Zafar Ansari
Gareth Batty
Rory Burns
Jade Dernbach
Steven Davies
Matthew Dunn
George Edwards
Arun Harinath
Jason Roy
Vikram Solanki
Chris Tremlett

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Surrey vs Gloucestershire  LV=County Championship Empty Re: Surrey vs Gloucestershire LV=County Championship

Post by guildfordbat Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:45 pm

Thanks for the thread, JimBob.

Happy enough to see George 'Chick' Edwards in the squad although wonder if it's most likely meant as a confidence booster for him than anything else. That said, there has to be a chance he could play, particularly if a decision is made to rest Dunn.

Slightly surprised to see Solanki in the thirteen. Thought he came back a bit too soon last week and, in any case, it was primarily as a replacement for the then absent Amla who has returned. However, having called him into the squad again, difficult to see him not making the eleven. Maybe, Harinath to miss out and another new opener?

PS Even less confident than usual, with the above comments!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Surrey vs Gloucestershire  LV=County Championship Empty Re: Surrey vs Gloucestershire LV=County Championship

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:43 pm

Well from watching the T20 at Gloucester today, if they're using the same wicket for the championship game then it's a win the toss and bat

And if Surrey win the toss I'd imagine it'll be a bat and watch Amla bat all day

If he gets a duck I'm taking no blame  Run 
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:47 am

Hah, just about called the team right although admittedly I did talk round it!  Smile Anyway, Edwards gets no further than the 13 whilst Harinath is dropped. Ansari who went from 4 to 3 last time now gets to open.

Gloucs win toss and bat ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:05 am

guildfordbat wrote:
... Ansari who went from 4 to 3 last time now gets to open.

That's per the team line up tweeted by Churchy. BBC and cricinfo show Amla opening instead.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:41 am

16-3.....what's going on out there?!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:48 am

And now a 4th!!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by kingdaveeagle Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:01 am

32-5 - wtf? They'll probably still get 450!

kingdaveeagle

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:05 am

Dernbach is on now..............you could be right dave!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:37 am

Roy comes to the party with 3 wickets. Gloucs 67/8.

The only disappointing Surrey stats from Dernbach - quelle surprise! - going at more than 5 an over. Just as I wanted, Tremlett back into the attack ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:41 am

Have you seen Roy bowl guildford? Is he just military medium? He doesn't get a look in for the one dayers as a bowler does he?!
This is a great effort from three bowlers!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:55 am

Hi Goochie - yes, I've seen Roy bowl a bit this season. As you thought, very much on the military medium lines nibbling away at the batsmen. He could be useful in the Championship - particularly at blocking up an end (aithough I appreciate he's got a threefer this mornng!) - if he can reduce the number of too wide or short balls. Probably a bit too samey for one dayers.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by kingdaveeagle Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:22 am

112 all out - wow. Call me pessimistic or a realist but I just hope we're not out for 12!

kingdaveeagle

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:40 am

112 all out!  Shocked Shocked Shocked  In Southeast it's been extraordinarily humid this morning - don't know whether it's like that in Bristol. If so, that could explain how Roy may have got the ball wobbling around for his three wickets.  Pleased to see Clive Dunn take another four.

I have a feeling the v2 outing to see Surry suffer at hands of Warks at Guildford witnessed Roy's previous best first class bowling performance of 3 /35!

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:54 am

cheers guildford! 112 ao............at least we can't follow on this time!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:35 am

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:112 all out!  Shocked Shocked Shocked  In Southeast it's been extraordinarily humid this morning - don't know whether it's like that in Bristol. If so, that could explain how Roy may have got the ball wobbling around for his three wickets.  Pleased to see Clive Dunn take another four.

I have a feeling the v2 outing to see Surry suffer at hands of Warks at Guildford witnessed Roy's previous best first class bowling performance of 3 /35!

I listened to the first half-hour of commentary. Andy Brassington (the ex Gloucs keeper from the mid '70s and 80s) was wheeled in as a guest and referred to Klinger's decision to bat as ''brave''. Brassington thought it would take the wicket a couple of hours to settle down after all the rain that fell yesterday and that the ball would move around quite a bit until then. Whether it stops swinging now, we'll have to wait and see but he was certainly on the money as regards the first two hours of play. I think Gloucs were only 1 down when he started giving those views.

Anyway, whatever the conditions, brilliant performance to bowl out the opposition by lunchtime. clap On paper, Gloucs batted deep as well with Howell at 8.

Corporal - spot on. Roy's previous  best fc bowling peformance was indeed at God's own ground as seen by ourselves and other esteemed v2 posters.

Unlike the BBC and cricinfo, Churchy was also spot on about Ansari opening with Burns. They've so far taken it to 19/0 off 9. Not much to complain about at the moment although I'm sure Carrot and King Dave are poised for when that changes!  Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:02 am

afternoon all i love a quiet 1st day  Very Happy 

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:22 am

54/0 off 21. A sensible solid start in reply. What's to go wrong?

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:26 am

kingdaveeagle wrote:32-5 - wtf? They'll probably still get 450!
 laughing 

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:29 am

thegooch7 wrote:Dernbach is on now..............you could be right dave!
 Whistle 

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:53 am

50 for burns  clap 

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:54 am

clap Third Degree clap 

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:59 am

Those two sessions couldn't have gone more spiffingly!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:07 am

thegooch7 wrote:Those two sessions couldn't have gone more spiffingly!

Absolutely. Too often we're playing catch up at this stage. Just need to ensure we don't waste such a rare commanding position.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:09 am

guildfordbat wrote:
thegooch7 wrote:Those two sessions couldn't have gone more spiffingly!

Absolutely. Too often we're playing catch up at this stage. Just need to ensure we don't waste such a rare commanding position.
the game is in the bag guildford  Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo 

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:24 am

JimBob - the fat lady may have been seen in the Gloucs area but she hasn't even cleared her throat yet.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:29 am

Century opening partnership.  Very Happy clap

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:30 am

more chance of chrisfromstroud making a appearance  Laugh 

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:49 am

A no ball takes us into first innings lead.  clap 

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:52 am

113/0. We win the first innings by 10 wickets. This is very, very good and we are in a wonderful position but I'm determined not to allow myself or anyone else (looking at a certain Arsenal supporter) to jinx it!  Very Happy 

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:04 pm

50 for son of boris  clap 

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:35 pm

150 up  clap 

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:52 pm

Well this has been a bit of a good day hasn't it? Superb bowling performance by all accounts and really good to see Roy getting wickets, doing to Gloucs what many medium pacers have done to Surrey over the years (I'm looking squarely in Darren Stevens' direction at this moment).

What a lovely change to see a big opening partnership and especially between two young talented batsmen. 3 50's in a row for Ansari now and 2 in 2 games for Burns which is hopefully an indication that he's getting last year's form back.

Certainly no complaints from me today!

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:12 pm

Highest first class score for Ansari - 84*

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:15 pm

186/0 overnight then, lead of 74. Ansari 84* Burns 98*. Fantastic days work by the lot of them.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:30 pm

Carrotdude wrote:186/0 overnight then, lead of 74. Ansari 84* Burns 98*. Fantastic days work by the lot of them.

Exactly.

I'll spare a thought as well for Edwards and Harinath who lost out to Dunn and Ansari for an opening bowler and batsman spot and watched them take the glory.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by packofwolves Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:44 pm

Well that's a Carlsberg day if ever there was one for Surrey! Helpful conditions are one thing but executing your plans to them is a whole new kettle. Fair play to the Surrey lads, what a commanding position a day in! Ansari certainly seems to have something about him from what I have seen/heard over the past 18 months or so.

packofwolves

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:32 pm

Magnificent all round performance - our best combo of bowling and batting in one day for a very long time I should think. Ansari is certainly putting together a very impressive collection of scores.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:52 pm

I'M sure somewhere Chris is doing a rain dance Wink

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:34 am

Ansari falls for 98  Sad Sad  clap 

But a superb partnership of 215 and a century for Burns  clap clap

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:00 am

Morning Corporal - yes, bitter sweet. All in all, still in a fantastic position.

Churchy mentioned that our last opening stand of 200 was in 2005 at Tunbridge Wells. Don't suppose you were there?

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:29 am

Burns now also past his previous highest first class score.  clap  After losing two wickets Surrey now consolidating again with Burns and Solanki.  Would be nice if Solanki got a decent score - would be popular with his team and supporters.

Guildford - on finding out that the partnership was between the slightly unlikely combo of Newman and Clinton I can be sure I didn't see that one.  In fact the only Kent v Surrey game I can definitely remember at Tunbridge Wells was a good while further back*.  Surrey won   Yahoo Yahoo on a somewhat difficult batting pitch, and among the cast were Ben Hollioake, Alex Tudor and Darren Bicknell.

* I see it was in 1999 and Surrey won by an innings with Darren Bicknell top scorer in the match with 57.  I think I watched day 2 & 3 of the match, when some apparently turgid Surrey batting in the first innings looked a whole lot better after Kent had collapsed twice.  Jason Ratcliffe took three wickets in the second innings  Shocked  so it really must have been a dodgy pitch.  Day 4 was a formality with Surrey only needing one wicket to win the match.

Last edited by Corporalhumblebucket on Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:37 am; edited 1 time in total

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Voice of the Beehive Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:37 am

I've been a Surrey fan since well before that game but for some reason have no recollection of it even after looking up the scorecard. Then again my memory can't be as good as I thought it was because I didn't think Richard Clinton ever made a first class century and I see now he actually made four of them.

Voice of the Beehive

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:50 am

http://www.cricketarchive.com/Surrey/Scorecards/75/75046.html

This was my favourite ever Kent v Surrey match!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:04 am

Gooch - that looks like a cracker - did you get to see it?

Lunch after a solid session in which Surrey scored 98 - 2. Burns still unbeaten, on 145, and Solanki building a useful contribution. We should get four batting points - fireworks would be needed for a fifth.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:21 am

Corporal / Beehive - I'm pretty sure that was Richard Clinton's only century for Surrey. I'm also very surprised he scored four fc tons. I would guess the others were in university matches although that still seems a lot.

Goochie - great scorecard.

I'm not as confident as the Corporal about 4 batting points. Need 66 more off 15 overs. Couple of quiet overs straight after lunch and it won't be easy. Think our top priority will be to continue to accumulate and bat until about the last hour today. Then give them a dozen or so overs before stumps.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:57 am

I went on the 2nd day, it was a Saturday, at lunch I thought I was going to see a result with our inevitable follow on, but the Hollioake innings was incredible, and as soon as we avoided it, Giddins hung his bat out and almost got himself out on purpose! Quite comical.
On the Monday, when I was back in work, I was fully expecting defeat, but kept tuning in to Radio 5 and listened to the updates edging us closer to victory!
A team of internationals as well apart from the mighty J N Batty!
Back to today and looks like we'll secure that 4th batting point now.

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:25 am

50 for Solanki  clap clap

4th batting point achieved with several overs to spare.  Very Happy 

Last edited by Corporalhumblebucket on Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:30 am

O me of little faith! 4th batting point comfortably achieved. Dangerous words, I know, but Burns and Solanki making it seem rather easy.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:40 am

Runs flowing fast - 80 since lunch.  Lead well past 250.  And after 110 overs Gloucs failed to take any bowling points.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next