The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: US Open at the new-look Pinehurst No.2: Notes from the Ballwasher

+26
I'm never wrong
liverbnz
Eyetoldyouso
Bob_the_Job
Sand
bluestonevedder
JAS
Roller_Coaster
GPB
skyeman
SmithersJones
incontinentia
hend085
super_realist
themightyone
Hibbz
McLaren
Davie
sirbenson
Shotrock
1GrumpyGolfer
raycastleunited
pedro
beninho
gaelgowfer
kwinigolfer
30 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: US Open at the new-look Pinehurst No.2: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty PGA Tour: US Open at the new-look Pinehurst No.2: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 11 Jun 2014, 3:13 am

1).No idea what to expect this week with the US Open to be held for the third time in 15 years (almost unprecedented repeat visits) at Donald Ross's masterpiece, Pinehurst No.2. Since we last saw it, Ben Crenshaw and Bill Coore have laid waste to the whole place, and even the most nerdy architecturally gurus don't quite seem to know what to make of it. A Beauty or a Beast? Or possibly both.

2).Previous form may or may not have to be thrown out the window, we just don't know, but a summary of the accumulated wisdom of media punditry suggests length is imperative, a high ball-flight preferable and a delicate touch around the greens a necessity. If only these things were that easy. Let's look first of all at what little previous course form there is.

3).1999 US Open:
Mickelson famously beaten into second place by a 15 - 20 foot par putt on the last from William Payne Stewart. Other four-round finishes from guys golfing it this week include:
5th: Stricker
7th: Maggert
10th: Darren Clarke
15th: Leonard
17th: Furyk
23rd: Jimenez
32nd: Cink
46th: Allenby

4).2005 US Open:
Michael Campbell wins and goes on to have a wonderful year, only to disappear as mysteriously as a Malaysian 777. A second star-crossed champion to be sure; Cambo has an exemption in to this week's tournament but, amid stories of a broken marriage, he's sitting this one out. The tournament was Goosen's to win anyway, bidding to become the only golfer since Strange to win consecutive US Opens he played in Sunday's final group only to balloom to an 81. Which was better than partner Jason Gore's 84. Other Top 40 finishers in this week's effort:
T3: Garcia
T3: Tim Clark
11th: Goose
15th: Els
23rd: Kenny Perry
T28: Ogilvy
T28: Scott
T28: Matt Every (top amateur)
T33: Cabrera
T33: Westwood
Others making the cut included Poulter, Donald, Ryan Moore, McDowell. Barlow.

5).2008: US Amateur:
New Zealand's Danny Lee won but only after he beat Patrick Top Five Reed in the semi-final.
Others who progressed to Match Play included:
3rd Round: Fowler
2nd Round: Horschel
1st Round: Scott Langley

6).Not much to go on then. In addition to the above, Phil spent a week there at a golf camp as a 13-year-old and certainly seems to have an affinity for the place. He's also logged the most number of US Open appearances in the field, as this will be his 24th, with his (in?)famous six runner-up finishes. The leading five veterans are, including 2014:
24: Phil
22: Ernie
20: Furyk
19: Cink
19: Stricker

7).There's been a lot of attention in the US media this month about Payne Stewart:
Blow-by-blow accounts of his win with equal billing to Mrs Phil's imminent childbirth.
Hour-by-hour accounts of the tragic plane crash and untimely death.
A compelling, but ultimately unsatisfying bio/documentary on the Golf Channel which pretty much made his Aussie wife Tracey the real star - and perhaps deservedly so by many accounts given the brat (you've got a long way to go Top Five) the young Payne came across as.
And out-of-this-world hyperbole from Sports Illustrated, who should know better:
"In the post-Nicklaus era no (golfing) figure was more compelling than Payne Stewart."
In Missouri, maybe. Dear oh dear.

But what a beautiful golfswing he had; he took his game around the world, won in Japan and Holland, and ultimately had a decent Ryder Cup record together with three (squeaky?) Major wins. One always feels the best of Payne Stewart, the man at least, was still to come.

8).Who's going to win then?
It's been roasting this week, 97F today and will be broiling all week long, probably with storms. A course that plays firm and fast will bring the "navigators" in to play, but with a yardage from the tips of close to 7,600 yards, length will matter, all the more so if storms bring flooding rains.
I would think the two obvious favourites would be Mickelson and Bubba, though whether either can focus fully for 72 scorching holes must be questionable. But: You gotta like their length and improvisational skills. And there'll be lots of long putts on the crowned Donald Ross greens, and no-one avoids the 3-putt like Bubba.

9).I'd say three fancied players and three outsiders worth considering might be:
Watson at 18/1, Jason Day at 28/1, Kaymer at 40/1.
Webb Simpson at 45/1, Poulter at 66/1, Horschel at 80's.
For various reasons I'd love to see Phil or Rory or Sergio prove me wrong, but they're all three like unpredictable treats in Forrest Gump's box of chocolates the way their form currently is.

10).Once again the USGA sits around a table sniggering at each other as they concoct amusing groupings and this year is no exception, especially the fatboys threesome of De Jonge, Stadler and Shane Lowry. I'd be royally p1ssed off if I was one of them, but I suppose they had it coming.
Then there's the curious case of one-time winners Spieth, Matsuyama and Fowler.

Just think, not so long ago a US Amateur Champ turned pro and made the John Deere Classic the first win (as Jordan Spieth would do a dozen years later) of what would surely be a glittering career. Perhaps a featured US Open tee-time.
But it didn't work out quite like that for David Gossett, and my favourite story so far this week is of his seemingly miraculous (considering last year's web.com earnings were $10K) qualification for this week inspired by the very same 45-year veteran caddie (Johnny Miller, Lehman, you name it), Andy Martinez, who carried Gossett's bag to victory fifteen years ago in the "Amateur" at Pebble Beach.
Not saying that Spieth or Hideki or one-trickie Rickie will turn out like David Gossett. But his story is what "Opens" are made of, for the first two days anyway.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: US Open at the new-look Pinehurst No.2: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty Re: PGA Tour: US Open at the new-look Pinehurst No.2: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by gaelgowfer Wed 11 Jun 2014, 9:14 am

Par excellence write-up kwini.  Some interesting wee nuggets in there.  I shall certainly be following Mr. Gossett's journey this week.  Hope he makes the cut.   Fingers Crossed 

Haven't played any of the courses at Pinehurst.  We played Peggy Kirk Bell's course Pine Needles (and Mid-Pines).  One of the friendliest clubs I've ever visited.

We did go along (to Pinehurst) and have a nosey though.  Photos and video footage really don't do justice to the severity of crowning on the 18th green.  

Going to be very interesting to see how those waste areas play out.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: US Open at the new-look Pinehurst No.2: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty Re: PGA Tour: US Open at the new-look Pinehurst No.2: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by beninho Wed 11 Jun 2014, 9:35 am

Whats wrong with Pinehurst No1?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 11 Jun 2014, 12:19 pm

Cheers gael.
I've never visited the Pinehurst area, completely in the middle of nowhere, even away from main routes or "Innerstates". "friendliest" is high praise!

ben,
I think a Nicklaus course in the Pinehurst area was also just acquired by the resort people and that course has now been lyrically renamed Pinehurst No.8 (or perhaps No.9, it's tough to keep track).

No news so far of any further withdrawals - another scorcher in store for today and the forecast continues to be hot and steamy with likelihood of storms.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 11 Jun 2014, 1:02 pm

Here's a new name for us: 'Will Grimmer'....
And a fitting one as well!

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 11 Jun 2014, 1:26 pm

Grimm Willer is playing just behind Smylie and Maverick . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed 11 Jun 2014, 1:31 pm

Great write up Kwini.

Although they are probably top of everyone's list, I fancy Scott and McIlroy to do well here... both long, can hit a high ball, know what it takes to win a major, and are carrying some good form into this week.

Interesting comment from Rose that he won't watch England v Italy on Saturday night if he is contention. He felt that the emotional roller coaster of watching England go out 4-1 to Germany was a big distraction to him in 2010.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 11 Jun 2014, 1:35 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Grimm Willer is playing just behind Smylie and Maverick . . . . . .
Didn't check, but based on his profile picture I wouldn't be surprised if he comes from the hills west of Pinehurst.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Wed 11 Jun 2014, 2:22 pm

Pinehurst was up to No.8 already Kwini so if they did pick up another course that one would be No.9. I've been to Pinehurst and there is nothing to do other than play golf or go horseriding although it is a lovely place.

I wasn't staying on the resort and that meant prices to play were quite exhorbitant so I only played one of the courses there. I asked a lot of the staff if they could only play one course outside of No.2 which one would it be and they all answered No.8. I was there during the North/South Amateur so there was no chance of playing No.2 even if I was willing to pay the $450 green fee!!

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 11 Jun 2014, 2:38 pm

Yup, "National Golf Club" has morphed in to "Pinehurst No.9".
Imaginative names both.

Sounds a great location for the golfer, but don't know that it would appeal to the wife whose favourite sport is sunbathing. Just back from Hilton Head which just about has it all, including quite superb beach cricket pitches.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 11 Jun 2014, 2:52 pm

Beach Cricket in the USA? They will start producing their very own Lasith Malingas soon.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Wed 11 Jun 2014, 2:57 pm

I've played #2 and #8, but it was over 10 years ago so nothing like the "restoration". Merion played very difficult 1 year ago despite the soft conditions, and I suspect Pinehurst will as well (regardless of the amount of rain they get). Fun place, Pinehurst.

FIGJAM Phil can't seem to put 4 rounds together these days, so I don't like him to win this thing. Wide open with no clear favorite ... I'll be rooting for Speith or McIlroy, the young guns.

Defending Champion Justin Rose recently played through Merion, Aronimink and Pine Valley with some friends. Didn't run into him but talked to a few that did. The "main line" likes him and he likes the main line! Good luck Justin!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Wed 11 Jun 2014, 6:59 pm

Hope it doesn't rain as expected and they get the firm and fast conditions they want!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Wed 11 Jun 2014, 7:07 pm

Backing Dufner, Westwood and Kopeka to have good runs!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 11 Jun 2014, 7:22 pm

Dufner T4 in 2012, 2013 US Opens.

Sounds like Pinehurst has been playing fast and firm for practice rounds but they'll be dodging thundershower bullets all week. Whether it's just lightning nearby at one extreme or flooding rains at the other, you'd have to say odds on a suspension of play some time during the tournament.

Fast and firm brings more players in to the mix for sure.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 11 Jun 2014, 8:16 pm

I don't get this Pinehurst "look" .. lots of people raving about it - looks like a building site to me!

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 11 Jun 2014, 8:24 pm

I thought it looked like Portsmouth after the Luftwaffe had done their thing (which was aesthetically less devastating than what fifties developers perpetrated).

The players seem to like Pinehurst; I'm looking forward to seeing how it looks in play, and how it plays. Seems conventional player wisdom is that Par will be a very good score.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 11 Jun 2014, 8:26 pm

"with three (squeaky?) Major wins"

Kwini

Not as squeaky as Harringtons.  ;) 
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 11 Jun 2014, 8:27 pm

Davie wrote:I don't get this Pinehurst "look" .. lots of people raving about it - looks like a building site to me!

Are you some sort of troglodyte?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 11 Jun 2014, 8:40 pm

BBC reporting that the R&A will announce Portrush as the site for 2019 Open Championship. News which made Drumpf's syrupof' rocket off his exploding head.

Carnoustie and Birkdale must be before Turnberry in the Open queue surely?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 11 Jun 2014, 8:44 pm

There is still time for him to buy it.

I have yet to play any golf in Ireland (in fact I have never been to Ireland) so maybe I need to get across there before the R&A tweaks kick in.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 11 Jun 2014, 8:45 pm

McLaren wrote:
Davie wrote:I don't get this Pinehurst "look" .. lots of people raving about it - looks like a building site to me!

Are you some sort of troglodyte?

That's either a very funny reply, which I don't get - or a totally random one (more likely) - care to explain?

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Wed 11 Jun 2014, 8:48 pm

I just had a look at some of the golf holiday packages on the Pinehurst website and they strike me as incredibly reasonable.

Is the resort not that exclusive or am I missing something?

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 11 Jun 2014, 9:01 pm

It is very funny.

Hibbz

Did the package include a round on No.2?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 11 Jun 2014, 9:17 pm

Hibbz,
A dozen or more courses, sure they're of wildly variable quality, some gems of course.
Also, would think there'll be very reasonable basic accomodation.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Wed 11 Jun 2014, 9:31 pm

Some of the packages included No2 (feel a bit naff calling it that like I know it well) but they were more expensive. I have to confess I did misread it a bit as I thought the prices were for everything rather than per person per night but even then they weren't too extortionate.

Kwini the accommodation looked more than basic to me. Please bear in mind though I once spent two weeks (over twenty years ago) travelling from Denver to New York via Albuquerque, Dallas, Oklahoma, Memphis & Washington by greyhound bus staying quite happily in some interesting roadside motels.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 11 Jun 2014, 9:41 pm

Hibbz wrote:I just had a look at some of the golf holiday packages on the Pinehurst website and they strike me as incredibly reasonable.

Is the resort not that exclusive or am I missing something?
Pinehurst is not exactly downtown Manhattan. I guess that partly explains it.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by themightyone Wed 11 Jun 2014, 9:41 pm

Davie, he has a point. I rofled.

themightyone

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 11 Jun 2014, 9:45 pm

I don't know Pinehurst that well. But I'd have to say the same thing about Augusta National. Apart from a couple of stunning holes it seems quite ordinary.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Wed 11 Jun 2014, 10:07 pm

This documentary about Payne Stewart on Sky Sports is quite cool, I must say!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by themightyone Wed 11 Jun 2014, 10:15 pm

My money is on Bubba ftw and Luiten making top 5

themightyone

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed 11 Jun 2014, 11:52 pm

sirbenson wrote:This documentary about Payne Stewart on Sky Sports is quite cool, I must say!

Yes but I hate the over the top dramatic music they play in these American documentaries. It's a putt to win the open, da da da, he's nervous, bom bom bom, it's a big moment bah bah baaaaaa! We get it.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 12 Jun 2014, 3:16 am

Nice column about super_realist's favourite fatties from Jason Sobel on golf channel but the stewards won't let me cut and paste. Navigate from golfchannel.com if you're interested in what Stadler, Shane and Fatty de Jonge have to say about their grouping. Summary:
Lowry: P1ssed off.
Stads: "They're invoking their 5-y-o sense of humour." Apparently last time he played the US Open he was stuck with Pettersson and Lumpy Herron. Wonder who they'll come up with next time?
de Jonge: Couldn't give a toss.
Sobel: Just kind of rude.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 12 Jun 2014, 7:07 am

That's funny. SHow's that he's conscious and perhaps a bit paranoid (even a little ashamed) if he thinks the committee have placed him in that 3 ball simply because they are all ghastly gutlords.

Don't like it Shane? Well stop eating and start practising then you fat git at least Stadler and De Jong aren't in denial they are disgustingly fat.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Thu 12 Jun 2014, 8:18 am

in fairness to shane lowry he has last a lot of weight in the last 12 months

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu 12 Jun 2014, 9:19 am

hend085 wrote:in fairness to shane lowry he has last a lot of weight in the last 12 months
true, but he could lose all the weight in the world and certain people here would still have an agenda against him. At first I thought that grouping was humorous, but on reflection it seems more like bullying. They're professional golfers, not a side-show to be pointed and laughed at.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu 12 Jun 2014, 9:30 am

Jason Sobel article: http://www.golfchannel.com/news/jason-sobel/usgas-heavyweights-group-causing-minor-stir/
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 12 Jun 2014, 10:00 am

hend085 wrote:in fairness to shane lowry he has last a lot of weight in the last 12 months

He's only about a third of where he ought to be, agree though, he's now obese instead of being worse.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 12 Jun 2014, 10:20 am

Shane looks anorexic in that group. Stadler seems to be as annoying as he looks on the course, at least FDJ takes it well. Though he is younger then me, and he does not look good for it!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by themightyone Thu 12 Jun 2014, 11:43 am

Every step of any person in that group already causes more than a minor stir.

themightyone

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Thu 12 Jun 2014, 12:10 pm

And yet they could p1ss all over you svelte hunks playing left handed and blindfold on any golf course, even your own.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Thu 12 Jun 2014, 12:18 pm

SmithersJones wrote:And yet they could p1ss all over you svelte hunks playing left handed and blindfold on any golf course, even your own.

Laugh Laugh 

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 12 Jun 2014, 12:25 pm

The "featured groups" from the morning wave just getting going.
Looks like any storms were pretty much dodged yesterday, so hopefully "firm and fast" is how the course is playing.
An early birdie from someone called Berger - the USGA will probably be miffed that someone is already under par.

Westwood on the first tee now, Rory and McDo in 15 minutes. Should be interesting.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 12 Jun 2014, 12:29 pm

SmithersJones wrote:And yet they could p1ss all over you svelte hunks playing left handed and blindfold on any golf course, even your own.

Sure they could, but I'm not breathing out my backside walking down the road and I'm likely to see 60.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu 12 Jun 2014, 12:39 pm

incontinentia wrote:
true, but he could lose all the weight in the world and certain people here would still have an agenda against him. At first I thought that grouping was humorous, but on reflection it seems more like bullying. They're professional golfers, not a side-show to be pointed and laughed at.

As a famous comedian once said:

Rodney Dangerfield wrote:if you want to look thin, you hang out with fat people.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 12 Jun 2014, 1:12 pm

Bullying? Ha ha. WOuld it be bullying if there was a bald group, bible thumper group, ginger group etc?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 12 Jun 2014, 1:19 pm

Super

Most of the groups will be bible thumper groups.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Thu 12 Jun 2014, 1:22 pm

super_realist wrote:

Sure they could, but I'm not breathing out my backside walking down the road and I'm likely to see 60.

Which, is your choice.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Thu 12 Jun 2014, 1:33 pm

Pretty much anyone could beat me on my course if I was playing left handed and blindfolded. But thanks for the svelte comment!!!

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 12 Jun 2014, 2:00 pm

skyeman wrote:
super_realist wrote:

Which, is your choice.

Nah, not a choice being in good shape as much as it is self respect and being normal.

If I had the undoubted talent of these guys, I wouldn't risk it, waste  or denude it by being a fat slovenly git. I'd want to be at my absolute peak at all times. I can't think of one sport where someone performs physically or mentally at their best by carrying more weight than is necessary, especially 3-4 stone more. Fine if all you want to be is a journeyman like Lowry, I'd have higher standards though if I was good enough to be pro.
Shame, waste of a talent for Mr Lowry.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next