The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: US Open at the new-look Pinehurst No.2: Notes from the Ballwasher

+26
I'm never wrong
liverbnz
Eyetoldyouso
Bob_the_Job
Sand
bluestonevedder
JAS
Roller_Coaster
GPB
skyeman
SmithersJones
incontinentia
hend085
super_realist
themightyone
Hibbz
McLaren
Davie
sirbenson
Shotrock
1GrumpyGolfer
raycastleunited
pedro
beninho
gaelgowfer
kwinigolfer
30 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: US Open at the new-look Pinehurst No.2: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty PGA Tour: US Open at the new-look Pinehurst No.2: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 11 Jun 2014, 3:13 am

First topic message reminder :

1).No idea what to expect this week with the US Open to be held for the third time in 15 years (almost unprecedented repeat visits) at Donald Ross's masterpiece, Pinehurst No.2. Since we last saw it, Ben Crenshaw and Bill Coore have laid waste to the whole place, and even the most nerdy architecturally gurus don't quite seem to know what to make of it. A Beauty or a Beast? Or possibly both.

2).Previous form may or may not have to be thrown out the window, we just don't know, but a summary of the accumulated wisdom of media punditry suggests length is imperative, a high ball-flight preferable and a delicate touch around the greens a necessity. If only these things were that easy. Let's look first of all at what little previous course form there is.

3).1999 US Open:
Mickelson famously beaten into second place by a 15 - 20 foot par putt on the last from William Payne Stewart. Other four-round finishes from guys golfing it this week include:
5th: Stricker
7th: Maggert
10th: Darren Clarke
15th: Leonard
17th: Furyk
23rd: Jimenez
32nd: Cink
46th: Allenby

4).2005 US Open:
Michael Campbell wins and goes on to have a wonderful year, only to disappear as mysteriously as a Malaysian 777. A second star-crossed champion to be sure; Cambo has an exemption in to this week's tournament but, amid stories of a broken marriage, he's sitting this one out. The tournament was Goosen's to win anyway, bidding to become the only golfer since Strange to win consecutive US Opens he played in Sunday's final group only to balloom to an 81. Which was better than partner Jason Gore's 84. Other Top 40 finishers in this week's effort:
T3: Garcia
T3: Tim Clark
11th: Goose
15th: Els
23rd: Kenny Perry
T28: Ogilvy
T28: Scott
T28: Matt Every (top amateur)
T33: Cabrera
T33: Westwood
Others making the cut included Poulter, Donald, Ryan Moore, McDowell. Barlow.

5).2008: US Amateur:
New Zealand's Danny Lee won but only after he beat Patrick Top Five Reed in the semi-final.
Others who progressed to Match Play included:
3rd Round: Fowler
2nd Round: Horschel
1st Round: Scott Langley

6).Not much to go on then. In addition to the above, Phil spent a week there at a golf camp as a 13-year-old and certainly seems to have an affinity for the place. He's also logged the most number of US Open appearances in the field, as this will be his 24th, with his (in?)famous six runner-up finishes. The leading five veterans are, including 2014:
24: Phil
22: Ernie
20: Furyk
19: Cink
19: Stricker

7).There's been a lot of attention in the US media this month about Payne Stewart:
Blow-by-blow accounts of his win with equal billing to Mrs Phil's imminent childbirth.
Hour-by-hour accounts of the tragic plane crash and untimely death.
A compelling, but ultimately unsatisfying bio/documentary on the Golf Channel which pretty much made his Aussie wife Tracey the real star - and perhaps deservedly so by many accounts given the brat (you've got a long way to go Top Five) the young Payne came across as.
And out-of-this-world hyperbole from Sports Illustrated, who should know better:
"In the post-Nicklaus era no (golfing) figure was more compelling than Payne Stewart."
In Missouri, maybe. Dear oh dear.

But what a beautiful golfswing he had; he took his game around the world, won in Japan and Holland, and ultimately had a decent Ryder Cup record together with three (squeaky?) Major wins. One always feels the best of Payne Stewart, the man at least, was still to come.

8).Who's going to win then?
It's been roasting this week, 97F today and will be broiling all week long, probably with storms. A course that plays firm and fast will bring the "navigators" in to play, but with a yardage from the tips of close to 7,600 yards, length will matter, all the more so if storms bring flooding rains.
I would think the two obvious favourites would be Mickelson and Bubba, though whether either can focus fully for 72 scorching holes must be questionable. But: You gotta like their length and improvisational skills. And there'll be lots of long putts on the crowned Donald Ross greens, and no-one avoids the 3-putt like Bubba.

9).I'd say three fancied players and three outsiders worth considering might be:
Watson at 18/1, Jason Day at 28/1, Kaymer at 40/1.
Webb Simpson at 45/1, Poulter at 66/1, Horschel at 80's.
For various reasons I'd love to see Phil or Rory or Sergio prove me wrong, but they're all three like unpredictable treats in Forrest Gump's box of chocolates the way their form currently is.

10).Once again the USGA sits around a table sniggering at each other as they concoct amusing groupings and this year is no exception, especially the fatboys threesome of De Jonge, Stadler and Shane Lowry. I'd be royally p1ssed off if I was one of them, but I suppose they had it coming.
Then there's the curious case of one-time winners Spieth, Matsuyama and Fowler.

Just think, not so long ago a US Amateur Champ turned pro and made the John Deere Classic the first win (as Jordan Spieth would do a dozen years later) of what would surely be a glittering career. Perhaps a featured US Open tee-time.
But it didn't work out quite like that for David Gossett, and my favourite story so far this week is of his seemingly miraculous (considering last year's web.com earnings were $10K) qualification for this week inspired by the very same 45-year veteran caddie (Johnny Miller, Lehman, you name it), Andy Martinez, who carried Gossett's bag to victory fifteen years ago in the "Amateur" at Pebble Beach.
Not saying that Spieth or Hideki or one-trickie Rickie will turn out like David Gossett. But his story is what "Opens" are made of, for the first two days anyway.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: US Open at the new-look Pinehurst No.2: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: US Open at the new-look Pinehurst No.2: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by JAS Thu 12 Jun 2014, 2:09 pm

I always find this a curiously amusing debate. Yes the likes of Lowry, DeJonge, Stadler etc are packing a few needless pounds (probably to the detriment of their golf and ultimately their longevity). Tiger on the other hand has gone ridiculously over the top the other way and is also paying the price. So...it begs the question...What is "normal" in terms of the ideal golfer physique??

JAS

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: US Open at the new-look Pinehurst No.2: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: US Open at the new-look Pinehurst No.2: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by super_realist Thu 12 Jun 2014, 2:31 pm

GOod point Jas, Always thought you could be as bad the other way.
Adam Scott or Stenson are probably ideal standards.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Thu 12 Jun 2014, 2:32 pm

super_realist wrote:
skyeman wrote:
super_realist wrote:
SmithersJones wrote:And yet they could p1ss all over you svelte hunks playing left handed and blindfold on any golf course, even your own.

Sure they could, but I'm not breathing out my backside walking down the road and I'm likely to see 60.

Which, is your choice.

Nah, not a choice being in good shape as much as it is self respect and being normal.

If I had the undoubted talent of these guys, I wouldn't risk it, waste  or denude it by being a fat slovenly git. I'd want to be at my absolute peak at all times. I can't think of one sport where someone performs physically or mentally at their best by carrying more weight than is necessary, especially 3-4 stone more. Fine if all you want to be is a journeyman like Lowry, I'd have higher standards though if I was good enough to be pro.
Shame, waste of a talent for Mr Lowry.

Being normal. What is normal? Daly got his moment of fame. Everyone in the sports where you do not need to be built like Hulk Hogan or Tom Daly can still compete.

It is just your opinion, which is fair enough. Just imo, no need to take the urine.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 12 Jun 2014, 2:37 pm

Snedeker going crazy at Pinehurst - think he's only scored one top ten so far this year so trust he'll be back in the pack before long.

Looks like the wheat is separating itself quickly from the chaff - pretty good leaderboard, predictable stragglers.

Always interested to see the PGATour Fantasy "most picked" golfers. This week (each punter gets four selections):
47% Scott, Watson
43% McIlroy
40% Mickelson
34% Spieth
30% Kuchar
16% Furyk, DJohnson
11% Day
10% Garcia

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 12 Jun 2014, 2:42 pm

I see lots of talk about Payne Stewart for obvious reasons. He peaked before my interest in Golf. So dont really know much about him. But see he had 3 majors, so how good was he? Was he a golf fan, and loved the history, which is why he wore the clothes, or was he a bit of an eccentric show off?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 12 Jun 2014, 2:43 pm

skyeman wrote:
super_realist wrote:
skyeman wrote:
super_realist wrote:
SmithersJones wrote:And yet they could p1ss all over you svelte hunks playing left handed and blindfold on any golf course, even your own.

Sure they could, but I'm not breathing out my backside walking down the road and I'm likely to see 60.

Which, is your choice.

Nah, not a choice being in good shape as much as it is self respect and being normal.

If I had the undoubted talent of these guys, I wouldn't risk it, waste  or denude it by being a fat slovenly git. I'd want to be at my absolute peak at all times. I can't think of one sport where someone performs physically or mentally at their best by carrying more weight than is necessary, especially 3-4 stone more. Fine if all you want to be is a journeyman like Lowry, I'd have higher standards though if I was good enough to be pro.

Being normal. What is normal? Daly got his moment of fame. Everyone in the sports where you do not need to be built like Hulk Hogan or Tom Daly can still compete.

It is just your opinion, which is fair enough. Just imo, no need to take the urine.

It's about maximising your potential by being as good as you can be, not being a billy bunter and ONLY counting on your talent and mental strength.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 12 Jun 2014, 2:50 pm

ben,
He grew up in a golf family, steeped in mid-America golfing tradition.

Think he always wanted to be the guy who stood out from the crowd, but a beautiful golfswing and, by the time he grew up - sometime in his thirties - apparently a good guy. Think his most fortuitous first two Majors somewhat allowed an underachieving career - not for nothing his peers called him "Avis" - to be overlooked.
He was enjoying a career renaissance when he won Pinehurst and then passed away.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Thu 12 Jun 2014, 2:54 pm

super_realist wrote:
skyeman wrote:
super_realist wrote:
skyeman wrote:
super_realist wrote:

Which, is your choice.

It's about maximising your potential by being as good as you can be, not being a billy bunter and ONLY counting on your talent and mental strength.

Totally agree. They are the ones that are driven to be the best that they can, but still may not be winners. Obviously not everyone can be winners Shocked  So it takes all sorts in certain sports. And again, in certain sports, ie football, tennis, swimming, even some ofthe fittest and driven will not be winners.

These guys know that they are big, but they enjoy what they are doing.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 12 Jun 2014, 2:57 pm

Exactly, but by being a fat bloater, you aren't giving yourself the chance to be as good as you can be in my opinion. By accepting you are grotesquely fat ( or too musclebound) I don't think it can be good for any aspect of your all round game and long term career.

Try sticking 5kg in a rucksack or on a belt round your waist and see how it hinders you. That's 5k, not the 20 odd that some of these guys lug round. Can't possibly be good for your golf/tiredness and there is no reason for anyone to be De Jonge, Stadler or even Lowry's size, especially still in your 20's like Lowry

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Thu 12 Jun 2014, 3:09 pm

super_realist wrote:Exactly, but by being a fat bloater, you aren't giving yourself the chance to be as good as you can be in my opinion. By accepting you are grotesquely fat ( or too musclebound) I don't think it can be good for any aspect of your all round game and long term career.

Try sticking 5kg in a rucksack or on a belt round your waist and see how it hinders you. That's 5k, not the 20 odd that some of these guys lug round. Can't possibly be good for your golf/tiredness and there is no reason for anyone to be De Jonge, Stadler or even Lowry's size, especially still in your 20's like Lowry

You are not going to stop saying fat bloater. Are you Laugh 

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 12 Jun 2014, 3:18 pm

Shall I use gargantuan gutlord instead?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 12 Jun 2014, 3:19 pm

Looks like Justin trying to play his way out of the competition in 9 holes. Tom Lewis has had an 8 on one of the shorter holes. He has a creepy look about him anyway.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Thu 12 Jun 2014, 3:22 pm

super_realist wrote:Shall I use gargantuan gutlord instead?

How about, portly Very Happy 

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Thu 12 Jun 2014, 3:40 pm

beninho wrote:Looks like Justin trying to play his way out of the competition in 9 holes. Tom Lewis has had an 8 on one of the shorter holes. He has a creepy look about him anyway.

One of my six, hoping for a better back nine.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by themightyone Thu 12 Jun 2014, 3:54 pm

Sneds has undone his hard work on the front 9 on his first three holes on the back 9. Bogey-double-bogey that is.

themightyone

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu 12 Jun 2014, 3:58 pm

Disaster for Sneddy-poo.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Thu 12 Jun 2014, 4:11 pm

Oh Sneds!! That's got to hurt.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 12 Jun 2014, 4:24 pm

Another name to conjure with:
Smylie Kaufman has his brother Lucky caddying for him.
You couldn't make these things up.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 12 Jun 2014, 4:28 pm

ANd if Smylie struggles will it be Taxi for Kaufman!!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by themightyone Thu 12 Jun 2014, 4:33 pm

team europe so far so good: 5 in the top 14

themightyone

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 12 Jun 2014, 4:53 pm

Justin playing his way back into it, in his next 9 holes!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 12 Jun 2014, 4:55 pm

Yup, 8 out of the top 18, but all "Internationals" are over par.

Didn't fancy either Snedeker or McDowell coming in to this week, both playing poorly, but now look at them!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Thu 12 Jun 2014, 6:34 pm

Go on Koepka!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 12 Jun 2014, 7:01 pm

Looks like "par' for the morning crew was about 72. No pretenders under par:
Na, McDowell
Kuchar, Snedeker, Spith, Stenson, Todd, Matsuyama.

Sure the course will attract mixed reviews but I love the look of the place from what I've seen so far.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 12 Jun 2014, 7:42 pm

Kwini

I agree, the course looks really good. I much prefer pinehurst's look compared to the horribly over manicured Augusta look. The scrub area is also providing some variation in recovery options so far.

Is speith ever out of contention?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Thu 12 Jun 2014, 8:00 pm

It always seems to me that Donald struggles in major opening rounds tbh!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by themightyone Thu 12 Jun 2014, 8:11 pm

If Luiten can keep ik together for two more rounds I can see him contending come Sunday

themightyone

Back to top Go down

Post by themightyone Thu 12 Jun 2014, 8:13 pm

Gerry Watson struggling a bit thru his first 6, 2 over. Let's see if he can pull something out of his hat

themightyone

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 12 Jun 2014, 8:16 pm

sirbenson wrote:It always seems to me that Donald struggles in major opening rounds tbh!

He will be joining westwood in the "out of it after round 1 group" if things don't improve.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by themightyone Thu 12 Jun 2014, 8:24 pm

8 under par in the morning group, 18 under in the afternoon. Any thoughts on why this is? Or just temporary? Course / weather do not seem to have eased

themightyone

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 12 Jun 2014, 8:35 pm

But guys like Snedeker & Kuchar got to -4 and -3, only to fall back.
Let's see how they look after 18 holes.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Thu 12 Jun 2014, 8:38 pm

McLaren wrote:
sirbenson wrote:It always seems to me that Donald struggles in major opening rounds tbh!

He will be joining westwood in the "out of it after round 1 group" if things don't improve.

7 back after 1 round and you are saying Westwood is out of it.....Got to disagree with that if I am being honest

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 12 Jun 2014, 8:43 pm

If woods, mickelson, McIlroy or others of that ilk were only 7 back, of course they would not be out of it. But Westwood? He is out of it.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 12 Jun 2014, 8:46 pm

Slim Shane struggling. Bet he wished he'd lost another 18 pounds now.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Thu 12 Jun 2014, 8:50 pm

super_realist wrote:Slim Shane struggling. Bet he wished he'd lost another 18 pounds now.

And the thin people below him. They should have got more fit and focused Emo 

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 12 Jun 2014, 9:20 pm

Casey continuing his good form but seems he's flattered about a dozen times only to deceive recently.
Keep going Paul!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Thu 12 Jun 2014, 9:20 pm

Good start from Dufner as well, keep it going!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 12 Jun 2014, 9:25 pm

Where is Bjorn? Has he done a Paul lawrie?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 12 Jun 2014, 9:49 pm

He's got a "golf injury " Mac  Laugh Laugh Laugh 

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Thu 12 Jun 2014, 9:50 pm

Kind of surprised by Watson's poor round thus far.

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 12 Jun 2014, 9:59 pm

sirbenson wrote:Kind of surprised by Watson's poor round thus far.

Really long hitters with no course management are seldom consistent. Everything has to go right for them, and when it goes wrong, it really goes wrong.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 12 Jun 2014, 10:00 pm

McLaren wrote:Where is Bjorn? Has he done a Paul lawrie?
Shoulder injury. A pity as I think this course would suit him well.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Thu 12 Jun 2014, 10:03 pm

super_realist wrote:

Really long hitters with no course management are seldom consistent. Everything has to go right for them, and when it goes wrong, it really goes wrong.

I think Bubba said he was very rarely going to use driver....I think Bubba actually has decent enough course management.

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Thu 12 Jun 2014, 10:04 pm

super_realist wrote:

I think Bubba said he was very rarely going to use driver....I think Bubba actually has decent enough course management.

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Thu 12 Jun 2014, 10:05 pm

Double Comment

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 12 Jun 2014, 10:17 pm

pedro wrote:
McLaren wrote:Where is Bjorn? Has he done a Paul lawrie?
Shoulder injury. A pity as I think this course would suit him well.

Is he really injured or is it just an excuse not to turn up?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu 12 Jun 2014, 11:10 pm

super_realist wrote:Slim Shane struggling. Bet he wished he'd lost another 18 pounds now.
He's +3 which is well in it, get a clue! And if you think Bubba has no course management, well that's one of the dumbest things I've heard in quite a while.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Thu 12 Jun 2014, 11:16 pm

This is one hell of a round from Kaymer!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 13 Jun 2014, 12:51 am

Three stroke lead? Who saw that coming halfway thru the afternoon??
Looks like the cut will be about +4.
Which means Messrs Donald (+7), Blixt (+7) and Westwood (+5) have socks to pull up.
Most of the rest of the best Europeans are playing well. Or at least well enough to make the cut.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 13 Jun 2014, 6:54 am

incontinentia wrote:
He's +3 which is well in it, get a clue! And if you think Bubba has no course management, well that's one of the dumbest things I've heard in quite a while.

He's 8 (eight) shots adrift. That's like being 3-0 down at half time. This isn't Escape To Victory, and I can't see Lowry doing an OHK from the half way line can you?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next