The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sergio Martinez - Doesn't deserve the flak he's getting !!

+5
catchweight
milkyboy
theanimal316
hazharrison
TRUSSMAN66
9 posters

Go down

Sergio Martinez - Doesn't deserve the flak he's getting !! Empty Sergio Martinez - Doesn't deserve the flak he's getting !!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 18 Jun 2014, 1:03 pm

Wow a boxer who thinks he has something left in the tank realizing he hasn't got anything the hard way.........

Happened to all the best...From Ali v Holmes to Leonard v Camacho, Leonard v Duran 3, Zale v cerdan etc etc.....Don't recall these guys getting crap about it !!

As for the ducking argument well which idiot would fight GGG for five times less than Cotto........I wouldn't !!

About a year ago this guy was the toast of Boxing on here...A respected warrior and now people are slinging mud at the guy for losing a fight..

If I was going to rip off the fans I certainly wouldn't wait to the later rounds to retire after taking a shellacking for most of the fight..

Martinez was past it.........I have no doubt he tried to win and I have no doubt he would have given GGG a shot somewhere down the line...

It's a shame to see such lack of respect...

Martinez deserves better.........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Sergio Martinez - Doesn't deserve the flak he's getting !! Empty Re: Sergio Martinez - Doesn't deserve the flak he's getting !!

Post by hazharrison Wed 18 Jun 2014, 1:12 pm

I don't recall seeing any mud slinging?

Martinez vs Cotto was a smart move for both fighters. Martinez tried his best but fell apart physically (which no-one could have predicted beforehand -- hence the fact he started an odds on favourite).

Martinez carved out a fine middleweight title reign -- racking up the same number of championship defences (as opposed to title defences) as Hopkins. Martinez arguably has the better reign.

I just hope GGG gets a shot at the real title soon (even if that has to be against Cotto -- I'd rather it wasn't!).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Sergio Martinez - Doesn't deserve the flak he's getting !! Empty Re: Sergio Martinez - Doesn't deserve the flak he's getting !!

Post by Guest Wed 18 Jun 2014, 1:13 pm

Shame you can't give Nigel Benn as much credit for taking the pay cheque just like Sergio did.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 18 Jun 2014, 1:17 pm

Funny Haz just said I don't recall any mud slinging... Cool  Cool 

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by theanimal316 Wed 18 Jun 2014, 1:25 pm

Agree with what you said except for giving GGG a shot down the line somwhere had he got past Cotto, I'm not convinced about that.

theanimal316

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 18 Jun 2014, 1:27 pm

Perhaps Haz is as shortsighted as you are when it comes to recalling some of your past comments

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed 18 Jun 2014, 1:36 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Perhaps Haz is as shortsighted as you are when it comes to recalling some of your past comments

I meant with regard to Martinez.

I recall Truss criticising Benn (who also quit in his corner -- albeit after making less of a stand against Collins).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 18 Jun 2014, 1:37 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Perhaps Haz is as shortsighted as you are when it comes to recalling some of your past comments

You mean where I said that Benn quitting without a scratch against Collins...was reprehensible !!!

Love the relevancy.. thumbsup

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 18 Jun 2014, 1:46 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

You mean where I said that Benn quitting without a scratch against Collins...was reprehensible !!!

Course it's relevant you ninny...they both took a fight for the money in the knowledge that they didn't have much left in the tank and might have been able to squeak past. Darren Barker, in all likelihood, did the same, against Sturm but Benn gets an disproportionate amount of stick for some reason. Benn had earned himself a big payday after the wars he'd given the British public but you think Martinez should be somehow absolved from conning the fans because he got punched in the face more? They both took the money and ran...

Benn was getting worked over and if your misplaced sense of machismo thinks there's something noble in getting your head punched in unnecessarily then please take up boxing again. I'm sure there are any number of people who would be delighted to watch you get seven shades of sh!t beaten out of you.

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 18 Jun 2014, 1:53 pm

haz, there was plenty of mudslinging on here about martinez, albeit from a vociferous few.

I wasn't one of them. Some wildly opposing views on the subject... Barker got plenty of sympathy when cashing his chips in against sturm.

I do love the fact that the cotto result was something no-one could have predicted. Nothing to do with your pre fight prediction! Hindsight is great, and martinez was strong favourite like oscar was against manny.....  but... a fair few fancied cotto for this and it wasn't based on how good they thought he'd be.

I sat on the fence because i thought martinez was clearly on the slide and could fall off the cliff anytime. Didn't know it would happen against cotto, and didn't know how much his mobility was going to be effected, but given how much he'd struggled in recent fights against mediocre opposition, it wasn't a shock.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 18 Jun 2014, 1:56 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

Course it's relevant you ninny...they both took a fight for the money in the knowledge that they didn't have much left in the tank and might have been able to squeak past. Darren Barker, in all likelihood, did the same, against Sturm but Benn gets an disproportionate amount of stick for some reason. Benn had earned himself a big payday after the wars he'd given the British public but you think Martinez should be somehow absolved from conning the fans because he got punched in the face more? They both took the money and ran...

Benn was getting worked over and if your misplaced sense of machismo thinks there's something noble in getting your head punched in unnecessarily then please take up boxing again. I'm sure there are any number of people who would be delighted to watch you get seven shades of sh!t beaten out of you.

Martinez got battered and kept trying ...........Benn quit without a scratch.....

Martinez went in there to win..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 18 Jun 2014, 1:57 pm

milkyboy wrote:haz, there was plenty of mudslinging on here about martinez, albeit from a vociferous few.

I wasn't one of them. Some wildly opposing views on the subject... Barker got plenty of sympathy when cashing his chips in against sturm.

I do love the fact that the cotto result was something no-one could have predicted. Nothing to do with your pre fight prediction! Hindsight is great, and martinez was strong favourite like oscar was against manny.....  but... a fair few fancied cotto for this and it wasn't based on how good they thought he'd be.

I sat on the fence because i thought martinez was clearly on the slide and could fall off the cliff anytime. Didn't know it would happen against cotto, and didn't know how much his mobility was going to be effected, but given how much he'd struggled in recent fights against mediocre opposition, it wasn't a shock.

I said Martinez was shot and that Cotto had a chance If he could punch at middle..........My guess was he couldn't and I went with Martinez...

Turned out he could but I was half right..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Wed 18 Jun 2014, 2:01 pm

Im glad Martinez lost. Good riddance.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 18 Jun 2014, 2:03 pm

good riddance?.... you won't miss all the homoerotic tension in the build up to his fights?

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Wed 18 Jun 2014, 2:06 pm

Definitely went in to win. However 2 knockdowns in I think it dawned on everyone what was happening.

Still think Cotto looked great

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Wed 18 Jun 2014, 2:10 pm

milkyboy wrote:good riddance?.... you won't miss all the homoerotic tension in the build up to his fights?

TRUSSMAN provides more than enough of that as it is.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 18 Jun 2014, 2:30 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

Martinez got battered and kept trying ...........Benn quit without a scratch.....

Martinez went in there to win..
Oh do be quiet.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Wed 18 Jun 2014, 2:54 pm

You said on a recent thread that no two fights are the same. You then start this thread by using previous fights/fighters to back up your argument. I've no problem with you doing either but not both as it's hypocritical.

By the way I do agree with the premise of the thread that the post-fight treatment of Sergio was over the top.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Wed 18 Jun 2014, 2:57 pm

Here's your comment as mentioned above....

"Another observation of mine is that Maidana-Mayweather and Groves-Froch were different fights...

No two fights are the same.."

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed 18 Jun 2014, 3:02 pm

milkyboy wrote:haz, there was plenty of mudslinging on here about martinez, albeit from a vociferous few.

I didn't see anyone picking Cotto to walk all over Martinez in the manner he did to be fair. The odd few might have picked him but no-one could have predicted how dominant he'd be.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 18 Jun 2014, 3:10 pm

True enough, I'm sure the biggest cotto fans were taken aback by the nature of it. To be fair to cotto, for all the failings of martinez, he did look razor sharp.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed 18 Jun 2014, 3:16 pm

He looked awesome. Really hope he takes on Alvarez/Lara or Golovkin next.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 18 Jun 2014, 3:23 pm

Pedro147 wrote:Here's your comment as mentioned above....

"Another observation of mine is that Maidana-Mayweather and Groves-Froch were different fights...

No two fights are the same.."

Yep I certainly wrote that........

Stick around my observations get better with age !!  Wink 

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Wed 18 Jun 2014, 3:42 pm

I don't think Sergio should get too much stick and I don't think he has really. I didn't criticise Barker and I wont criticise Martinez

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by and_still Wed 18 Jun 2014, 4:40 pm

I think the mud slinging came from serial hypocritical types such as Catchweight. If you put stock in anything he says, you shouldn't really be on these boards as much as testing your own sanity.

and_still

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Wed 18 Jun 2014, 6:04 pm

I said before the fight everyone who backed Martinez would cover themselves with the excuse that Cotto beat a shot fighter.

I'll happily admit, I backed Martinez and got it wrong. Cotto was excellent.

Now I'm not denying Martinez was favouring his knee in that fight and found it impossible to get out of Cotto's range after the first round but credit to Cotto for taking advantage.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 18 Jun 2014, 7:44 pm

You can see it both ways dipper. It doesn't take much of a drop off at that level for a dramatic difference. Could be that little bit of mobility was enough to hugely tip the balance, and made cotto look better than he was...

but cotto looked faster handed too. It contributed for sure, but exactly how much is conjecture. We probably have to see cotto's next fight (depending on who it is) to get a better evaluation of cotto as a middle

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Wed 18 Jun 2014, 8:38 pm

Agreed, I think after the first round it became clear that Martinez might need to get on his bike and due to a combination of old injury and Cotto's punishment, his legs just weren't there.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Wed 18 Jun 2014, 8:40 pm

Re: Cotto at middle. I'm not sure we'll get much of a measure of him at middle for a while, for me the more likely scenario is him fighting lower weight fighters like Canelo/Floyd at catchweights for huge money.

Which is a shame as Id like to see GGG given the chance to prove whether he's the premier middleweight

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 19 Jun 2014, 10:46 am

Cotto only looked better as those new tattoos make it look like he has "go faster" stripes!

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Thu 19 Jun 2014, 12:32 pm

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down