The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SL v Eng...2nd test headingley

+23
NickisBHAFC
Dorothy_Mantooth
Gregers
Corporalhumblebucket
chrisss
Scrumpy
wadey101
liverbnz
Hoggy_Bear
trebellbobaggins
Duty281
VTR
kingraf
Gerry SA
Good Golly I'm Olly
JDizzle
msp83
guildfordbat
Mad for Chelsea
GSC
alfie
ShankyCricket
KP_fan
27 posters

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

SL v Eng...2nd test headingley - Page 2 Empty SL v Eng...2nd test headingley

Post by KP_fan Thu 19 Jun 2014, 10:42 am

First topic message reminder :

Starts tomm and it seems the indisposed Prassanna the WK is a blessing in disguise.
Chandimal will keep wickets and will allow Lanka to play an extra batsman and given that the pitch is expected to assist seamers , it will help Lanka to have some extra batting cushion.

the other thing SL should and will look at is Kulasekhara...too gentle in speeds.......Lakmal was probably their first choice and unlikely  to have recovered from his hamstring strain.
They should play Dhamika prasad who bowls in excess of 140kph.....and captain Angelo should be willing to use himself a bit more as a seamer

Sri Lanka wicketkeeper Prasanna Jayawardene will be unavailable for selection for the second Test, thanks to a finger injury to his right hand, which he sustained while keeping during the first day at Lord's.

He will be replaced in the squad by batsman Kithuruwan Vithanage, with Dinesh Chandimal likely to take over the gloves at Headingley. The injury will not prevent Jayawardene from batting in the second innings of the first Tes
t.

Last edited by KP_fan on Thu 19 Jun 2014, 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

SL v Eng...2nd test headingley - Page 2 Empty Re: SL v Eng...2nd test headingley

Post by msp83 Fri 20 Jun 2014, 12:35 pm

Dimuth, was wondering why this was not coming!.
This lad is not yet ready for test cricket. 13 tests of this...... Get in, and then get out.....

msp83

Back to top Go down

SL v Eng...2nd test headingley - Page 2 Empty Re: SL v Eng...2nd test headingley

Post by msp83 Fri 20 Jun 2014, 12:36 pm

Mahela Jayawardene is not a safe bet on a track like this. England would love to send him back before lunch, and then if they bowl 1 more over from Anderson, Lanka will be 4 down!.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 20 Jun 2014, 1:03 pm

How in the blue hell have we not picked up either Jayawardene or Sangakkara yet?!!!

So unlucky, Jordan and Plunkett have bowled magnificently
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Fri 20 Jun 2014, 1:03 pm

well 2 down for 74....even session I would say...there is not so much of bounce and swing / seam movement as expected .

and because pitch is not as deadly....2 wickets from Eng is a good effort....Lanka  bit too conservative.......with this level of caution if one of their openers had stayed on would have made it a stronger position for them.

they have to use the middle session and 3rd session until the new balll..anotehr 53 overs to score 200ish more to make it count from here
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 20 Jun 2014, 1:11 pm

Maybe I'm still grumpy from the football but I thought Bell should have held that last over chance. He was purposely positioned there and should have been expecting it.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 20 Jun 2014, 1:15 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Maybe I'm still grumpy from the football but I thought Bell should have held that last over chance. He was purposely positioned there and should have been expecting it.

you're definitely grumpy. Probably more from old age than the football though. Surely after 120 years of following England in major tournaments you should be used to it Very Happy

While I appreciate the point, Bell is there for the glance or the glove, not really for the full-blooded pull shot. Having said that, having done well IMO to get both hands to it he'll be slightly disappointed he didn't hang on.

In general, I agree with KP_f that it was a fairly even session. I felt England bowled a bit better than the score suggests, Sangakkara has definitely ridden his luck to far.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 20 Jun 2014, 1:21 pm

Ooo Guildford I think that's harsh, did well to get a hand on it I thought!

Don't get too grumpy over the football, well I'm certainly used to Mr Suarez scoring a few against my teams!!!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 20 Jun 2014, 1:25 pm

MfC - well, I reckon I've seen England win more football World Cups than you ever will!  Very Happy 

I only saw the last 10 minutes of play so in no position to properly judge but seems an evenish lunch score. One more or less wicket would have made a real difference. Maybe England a teeny bit the happier now - feel they'll be pleased to have Sri Lanka around 250/8 at stumps which doesn't look impossible from here ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Fri 20 Jun 2014, 1:31 pm

Sri Lanka have a good ODI record here. It was here that Sanath and Tharanga gunned down 320 odd in 37 overs in 2006 and a Mahela career best gave them an easy victory in 2011. Just don't see them having enough to win a test match though. England are still the overwhelming favourites.

Not a terrible session for SL. Day 1 at Headingely can go a lot worse than that but the openers not carrying on yet again must be disappointing. Surely Sanga is due a failure as per the law of averages? He has already quite a lot of luck so far.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 20 Jun 2014, 1:32 pm

I'm feeling mildly vindicated about the football: I've been banging on all year that Hodgson should try to get Terry out of retirement, and given that Jagielka couldn't even deal with a not fully-fit Suarez I think I may have a point. Was a desperately disappointing night for sure, though I haven't given up all hope quite yet: forza Italia! as they say Very Happy

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 20 Jun 2014, 1:34 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:I'm feeling mildly vindicated about the football: I've been banging on all year that Hodgson should try to get Terry out of retirement, and given that Jagielka couldn't even deal with a not fully-fit Suarez I think I may have a point. Was a desperately disappointing night for sure, though I haven't given up all hope quite yet: forza Italia! as they say Very Happy
Don't particularly think Terry would've done as well without being protected by a Chelsea type midfield and full backs, and its not as if he hasn't been beaten by a long punt by a GK from a goal kick!!

As you say its not beyond the realms of possibility we can go through...
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 20 Jun 2014, 1:35 pm

Suarez wouldve torn Terry a new one with the lack of cover from our midfield
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 20 Jun 2014, 1:38 pm

Terry would have had the good sense to know that when the opposition striker makes a run from in front of you, with no one else making a move, you should go with him... England's midfield looked sat plenty deep to me (my main gripe about the first half was the massive distance between the front four and back six, it got slightly better in the second half as Henderson and the FBs were allowed a bit more to roam forward, but..).

I think my main disappointment was the manner of the defeat: aside from a decent 20-25 minute spell in the second half it was back to timid old England. We simply don't have the defensive players to play like that!!

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 20 Jun 2014, 1:38 pm

anyway, back to the cricket Very Happy

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 20 Jun 2014, 1:39 pm

Moeen on
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 20 Jun 2014, 1:40 pm

odd.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 20 Jun 2014, 1:40 pm

Olly wrote:I personally believe unless its a ridiculously obvious bowl first day, you should always bat first if you win the toss, and as such am disappointed England are not

Hi Olly - apologies if you know this story which I've told before but I like it!  Smile 

When David 'Bumble' Lloyd was appointed Lancs' captain in the early '70s, he spoke to Cyril Washbrook, the county's first professional captain twenty years earlier. Cyril advised Bumble along these lines, ''When you win the toss, you have two choices. Bat. Or think about it and then bat!''

As I've discussed with Mike, I appreciate that's not the modern way (ie for those under 120 ) and, even I wouldn't go as far as Cyril, but I do understand where he was coming from.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 20 Jun 2014, 1:49 pm

Moeen just an over to switch Plunkett to the other end

Guildford I've not seen that anecdote before, very good! I do know you believe like myself in batting first! Smile

Was a little turn in that moeen over, not encouraging considering Herath last on here!!!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 20 Jun 2014, 2:14 pm

Oh dear Matt Prior
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 20 Jun 2014, 2:14 pm

Oh dear oh dear oh dear
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 20 Jun 2014, 2:15 pm

oh my word, Matt Prior. He's struggled today with the ball seeming to wobble a little after it passes the bat, but there's no excuse for that one...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Fri 20 Jun 2014, 2:16 pm

The real Matthew Prior's back!

Gotta feel for Liam Plunkett. Making his comeback to Test cricket, bowling his heart out on those dead pitches.

Dropping the greatest flat track bully in Test history might come back to bite England

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 20 Jun 2014, 2:20 pm

watch Sanga go on to score big runs now. Oh dear oh dear oh dear. Poor Plunkett, bowling such a good spell...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 20 Jun 2014, 2:21 pm

and Plunkett does get a wicket, Jayawardene edges and Jordan takes a fine catch at second slip! Just reward for Plunkett, England needed that clap

For some reason the umpires check for the no-ball, but that's not even close...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Fri 20 Jun 2014, 2:22 pm

Plunkett on fire!!!

On a hat trick!!

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Fri 20 Jun 2014, 2:23 pm

Awful technique in these conditions yet again from the hometown bully.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 20 Jun 2014, 2:23 pm

Thirimane survives Anderson, but only because Plunkett gets him first ball. Sharp short ball, gloves it straight to short-leg for the easiest of catches, and Plunkett is on a hattrick. Superb bowling clap

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Fri 20 Jun 2014, 2:24 pm

First baller for Thirimanne. At least he didn't get out to Anderson..

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Fri 20 Jun 2014, 2:26 pm

ShankyCricket wrote:Awful technique in these conditions yet again from the hometown bully.
Pretty much sums up the entire Sri Lankan batting line up...

Wouldn't be surprised to see Sri Lanka play Bangladesh in a 5 Test series to boost their averages again...

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Fri 20 Jun 2014, 2:43 pm

Plunkett shows the value of pace......to those who argue line, length and movement is sufficient.

all of that at faster speeds is even better.

Eng has so far picked wickets in batches of two each.....

if they take even one more on the next hour...then they have their nose ahead
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 20 Jun 2014, 2:47 pm

England will be very happy with that hour. They conceded a few more runs but picked up one important wicket and the bunny. One or two more before tea and England will be in a very good position.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 20 Jun 2014, 3:10 pm

Another half-century for Kumar Sangakkara.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 20 Jun 2014, 3:11 pm

50 partnership between these two, in very quick time too. Ball getting a bit older, softer, and Moeen just not good enough so far, too short.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 20 Jun 2014, 3:12 pm

the 50 partnership up between Sanga and the captain.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 20 Jun 2014, 3:13 pm

and Anderson gets Matthews, just feeling for one outside off stump and nicks it to Ballance who clings on to a good low catch. Important wicket for England, they'd love another before tea.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 20 Jun 2014, 3:14 pm

Decent day so far. Just kept chipping away.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 20 Jun 2014, 3:22 pm

Sri Lanka need their last recognized pair to put on a significant partnership if they have to put up a decent total on the board. At 164-5, they are in serious trouble.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Fri 20 Jun 2014, 3:25 pm

Gerry SA wrote:
ShankyCricket wrote:Awful technique in these conditions yet again from the hometown bully.
Pretty much sums up the entire Sri Lankan batting line up...

Wouldn't be surprised to see Sri Lanka play Bangladesh in a 5 Test series to boost their averages again...
But Mahela's incompetence in these conditions is on another level.... Sanga, Kaushal, Mathews and even Chandimal are pretty decent against fast bowling. Thirimanne just freezes at the sight of Anderson.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 20 Jun 2014, 3:27 pm

but Thirimane didn't even see Anderson today Headscratch

I just don't really rate Thirimane, completely average player, SL would be infinitely better with Chandimal in there.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 20 Jun 2014, 3:31 pm

Another sitter grassed!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 20 Jun 2014, 3:32 pm

while it wasn't the easiest catch, I think your backward point should probably catch that more often than not. yes it was hit hard, but you have to expect that in that position. I've not so far been overly impressed with what I've seen of Moeen's fielding...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Fri 20 Jun 2014, 3:33 pm

Sanga on 58-4

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 20 Jun 2014, 3:34 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Another sitter grassed!
Corr bee in your bonnet today Mr Bat!! 

Half chance, didn't stick. If only the England football team had the luck Sangakkara is getting today!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Fri 20 Jun 2014, 3:37 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:but Thirimane didn't even see Anderson today Headscratch

I just don't really rate Thirimane, completely average player, SL would be infinitely better with Chandimal in there.
He has done well in limited overs cricket in recent times. Probably not test class though he did play a very good innings in Australia in the 3rd Test at Sydney in early 2013 after the team had been walloped in the first couple of tests and having arrived in the country less than 72 hours before the start of the match after not being in the original squad.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 20 Jun 2014, 3:43 pm

Sri Lanka go to tea at 182-5. They scored a few more than they did in the first session, but the 3 wickets make it England's session.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 20 Jun 2014, 3:52 pm

Can't agree more. Thirimanne is a less than average, non-international standard player. Averages 29 after 11 tests and about the same in 68 ODIs. Can score a few in flat conditions, but give him a pitch with a hint of life and he's a sitting duck. If the likes of Kathuruwan Vithanage are considered not ready for test cricket, they can play an all-rounder like Thisara Perera, Dilruwan Perera or Chathuranga disilva at 7 and promote Chandimal to 5. Will bring some value to the side.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 20 Jun 2014, 3:57 pm

Olly wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:Another sitter grassed!
Corr bee in your bonnet today Mr Bat!! 

Half chance, didn't stick. If only the England football team had the luck Sangakkara is getting today!

To be fair, Olly, I was rather playing to the 606 v2 crowd there!  Smile 

Glad you liked the earlier story about the advice offered to Bumble on winning the toss. I'm also very much in favour of enforcing the follow on when you can - something even more out of favour with those under 120!  Wink 

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 20 Jun 2014, 4:04 pm

Overrate not great again. The ICC will have to do something drastic about this. At least a better show from Cook's team, going by this rate, they should be able to bowl all the overs by extra time.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Fri 20 Jun 2014, 4:30 pm

msp83 wrote:

Can't agree more. Thirimanne is a less than average, non-international standard player. Averages 29 after 11 tests and about the same in 68 ODIs. Can score a few in flat conditions, but give him a pitch with a hint of life and he's a sitting duck. If the likes of Kathuruwan Vithanage are considered not ready for test cricket, they can play an all-rounder like Thisara Perera, Dilruwan Perera or Chathuranga disilva at 7 and promote Chandimal to 5. Will bring some value to the side.
I guess so. I'd drop Mahela too. He has scored 1 test hundred over the last 2 and a half years and 2 half centuries in his last 20 ODIs. Completely passed it. And of course, he has always been useless outside the subcontinent even in his prime.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Fri 20 Jun 2014, 4:32 pm

ShankyCricket wrote:
msp83 wrote:

I guess so. I'd drop Mahela too. He has scored 1 test hundred over the last 2 and a half years and 2 half centuries in his last 20 ODIs. Completely passed it. And of course, he has always been useless outside the subcontinent even in his prime.
It's all good and well saying drop Mahela, but who's the replacement?

Thirimanne is hailed as their next big thing, he's absolutely terrible.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next