The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fury will fight Ustinov on 26th July

+20
catchweight
joeyjojo618
Derbymanc
Herman Jaeger
Strongback
All Time Great
mobilemaster8
rapidringsroad
TopHat24/7
Steffan
ONETWOFOREVER
88Chris05
Rowley
milkyboy
Mr Bounce
bellchees
3fingers
jimdig
TRUSSMAN66
JabMachineMK2
24 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Fury will fight Ustinov on 26th July - Page 2 Empty Fury will fight Ustinov on 26th July

Post by JabMachineMK2 Wed 23 Jul 2014, 10:51 am

First topic message reminder :

https://twitter.com/Tyson_Fury

Says he's fighting Alexander Ustinov who's ranked 8 with the IBF and 9 with the WBA.

He's 6'8 which represents a different sort of fighter for Tyson, someone his own size!

Anyone else seen or heard of Ustinov?

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Fury will fight Ustinov on 26th July - Page 2 Empty Re: Fury will fight Ustinov on 26th July

Post by catchweight Thu 24 Jul 2014, 1:16 pm

Far worse boxers than Lewis can, and have, beat Klitschko. His opposition has just been dreadful.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Fury will fight Ustinov on 26th July - Page 2 Empty Re: Fury will fight Ustinov on 26th July

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 24 Jul 2014, 1:19 pm

True Dave, but I don't think Haye really did himself justice against Wlad at all. He may still have lost whatever the weather, but he could definitely have given Wlad a sterner argument than the one he did, I reckon.

In fairness, Wlad has obviously altered his style and become a lot less gung-ho since the Sanders, Brewster etc setbacks, so while he'd have still had his hands full against the best version of Haye he could still likely find a way to win. Against a 2003 / 2004 Wladimir I think a peak Haye would be a dead cert but while I think it's still possible for someone to beat him by making him open up and looking to land big left-hand counters, it's less possible than it was back in the day.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Thu 24 Jul 2014, 1:25 pm

Haye is a very ordinary heavyweight. Thats why he lost.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 24 Jul 2014, 1:41 pm

88Chris05 wrote:True Dave, but I don't think Haye really did himself justice against Wlad at all. He may still have lost whatever the weather, but he could definitely have given Wlad a sterner argument than the one he did, I reckon.

In fairness, Wlad has obviously altered his style and become a lot less gung-ho since the Sanders, Brewster etc setbacks, so while he'd have still had his hands full against the best version of Haye he could still likely find a way to win. Against a 2003 / 2004 Wladimir I think a peak Haye would be a dead cert but while I think it's still possible for someone to beat him by making him open up and looking to land big left-hand counters, it's less possible than it was back in the day.
It was clear heading into the Championship rounds that Haye needed a KO and yet he still opted to end the fight on his feet than risk a late KO whilst going all out for the win. Think it was only the very last round when he actually landed the right hand and, had be shown that sort of ambition from the 9th, there may have been an opportunity for one of them to get the desired result.

Genuinely don't see Wlad fighting any other way until the day he retires. Training him must be the easiest job on the planet..."Just do whatever it was Manny told you to do...I'll be back at tea-time!"

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 24 Jul 2014, 1:42 pm

He's not a great Heavy by any stretch catchweight but at the same time I think he's definitely the most talented fighter Wladimir has fought since he got back to world title level in 2006. As such I think he was definitely capable of performing better than he did against Klitschko and making a better fight of it than he did. He probably took less punishment than any other Klitschko opponent, certainly amongst those who have gone the full twelve against him anyhow, and showed that he could evade the jab quite well at times. But against a guy like Wlad just evading the jab and looking to potshot going away (as Haye did against Valuev) was never really going to give him a chance of winning. Wlad stayed busy with his jab even when it wasn't landing and was his usual cautious self in terms of only letting shots go behind his jab when he'd considered it very carefully, but he did give Haye chances, I believe. Haye just didn't try to take them often enough or at the right moments.

Still, Haye is no fighter these days and got his chance, so it's all by the by.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 24 Jul 2014, 1:48 pm

If Haye's an ordinary HW, how comes he annihilated Chisora and yet Vitali hit Dereck with everything but the kitchen sink and still couldn't get him out of there?

Maybe Haye's actually a fairly decent HW for his size, maybe Vitali's no great shakes and dined out on chaff his entire career or maybe it's something else

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 24 Jul 2014, 1:53 pm

Or maybe Vitali was 40+ year old, riddled with injuries and fighting on memory.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Thu 24 Jul 2014, 2:08 pm

Its a lot to do with size Dave, come on you know that. Haye was able to unleash his power from a lower centre of gravity, right through Del's skull where Vitali was coming from a looming great height to hit Chizza.

I guess Vitali has dined on chaff, I won't disagree, but Haye was an entirely different proposition to that shown by Vitali at the very end of his career.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 24 Jul 2014, 2:11 pm

He still landed with regularity on Chisora and couldn't shift him...having already broken the bones in Briggs's face. Safe to say Vitali still packs a decent punch yet Haye the "ordinary HW" was able to wipe Dereck out.

Just saying, Haye's better than Catchweight suggests

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Thu 24 Jul 2014, 2:14 pm

I tend to air on the side of ignoring most things catchweight says if I'm honest. If I listened to him, I'm sure I'd send my brain inside out with all of the sh!t that comes from trying to understand him.

Anyway - I think the Vitali that faced Chisora was at 50% power, plus Chisora was really giving it a go so that plays a part, Haye was always too fast for Chizz and although he looked like he was blowing a bit in the previous rounds, his power stays from round 1 to 12, Haye is a lot better than most people on here give him credit for.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Thu 24 Jul 2014, 2:21 pm

88Chris05 wrote:He's not a great Heavy by any stretch catchweight but at the same time I think he's definitely the most talented fighter Wladimir has fought since he got back to world title level in 2006. As such I think he was definitely capable of performing better than he did against Klitschko and making a better fight of it than he did. He probably took less punishment than any other Klitschko opponent, certainly amongst those who have gone the full twelve against him anyhow, and showed that he could evade the jab quite well at times. But against a guy like Wlad just evading the jab and looking to potshot going away (as Haye did against Valuev) was never really going to give him a chance of winning. Wlad stayed busy with his jab even when it wasn't landing and was his usual cautious self in terms of only letting shots go behind his jab when he'd considered it very carefully, but he did give Haye chances, I believe. Haye just didn't try to take them often enough or at the right moments.

Still, Haye is no fighter these days and got his chance, so it's all by the by.

Hayes style of fighting is based on no workrate, no jab and looking for big single powerpunches. Works fine against small ordinary plodders who cant jab and just plod towards him. Put him in a heavyweight who can jab and hes innefective. He might have been the best Klitschko faced in years but thats hardly praise in the circumstances. Hes a one trick pony with a decent punch and reasonable backfoot movement. His limitations were totally exposed by Klitschko and to a lesser extent Valuev.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Thu 24 Jul 2014, 2:24 pm

JabMachineMK2 wrote:I tend to air on the side of ignoring most things catchweight says if I'm honest. If I listened to him, I'm sure I'd send my brain inside out with all of the sh!t that comes from trying to understand him.

Anyway - I think the Vitali that faced Chisora was at 50% power, plus Chisora was really giving it a go so that plays a part, Haye was always too fast for Chizz and although he looked like he was blowing a bit in the previous rounds, his power stays from round 1 to 12, Haye is a lot better than most people on here give him credit for.

If people listened to you they would think Klitschko was a better boxer than Pacquiao, only 4 welterweights in history might have a chance of beating Mayweather and that you fought Kell Brook.

Luckily they dont.

Well maybe TRUSSMAN does.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Thu 24 Jul 2014, 2:26 pm

DAVE667 wrote:If Haye's an ordinary HW, how comes he annihilated Chisora and yet Vitali hit Dereck with everything but the kitchen sink and still couldn't get him out of there?

Maybe Haye's actually a fairly decent HW for his size, maybe Vitali's no great shakes and dined out on chaff his entire career or maybe it's something else

Vitali was hopeless against Chisora. A journeyman in most era's.

If Haye is anything beyond mediocre why has he been hiding it. Hes fought rubbish his whole career and was totally exposed by the one decent heavyweight he fought.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 24 Jul 2014, 3:28 pm

catchweight wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:If Haye's an ordinary HW, how comes he annihilated Chisora and yet Vitali hit Dereck with everything but the kitchen sink and still couldn't get him out of there?

Vitali was hopeless against Chisora. A journeyman in most era's.

If Haye is anything beyond mediocre why has he been hiding it. Hes fought rubbish his whole career and was totally exposed by the one decent heavyweight he fought.

Exposed as what? A relatively small HW who underestimated how good the reigning HW Champion of the World was and was unable to employ his pre-fight tactic of getting inside the jab, landing shots and getting out without being caught himself? Dear me, how embarrassing when everyone else has had such success with that haven't they?

Haye was exposed as a bit of a big head and loudmouth and made himself look silly when his pre-fight prediction failed to materialize. Dear me, how embarrassing when everybody else had had such success with that, haven't they?

Anyway, you're boring me now with this "Haye is mediocre" talk. He's the only decent HW we've had since Lewis retired and if we're using that yardstick stick to measure our HW hopes then I'm afraid damn near everyone is going to appear mediocre as well. Shame you're too silly to realize that.

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Thu 24 Jul 2014, 4:00 pm

You are too silly and up Hayes backside to realize him for what he is. He is an average heavyweight. In this rubbish era of heavyweights he passes for "world class" or "top quality" or whatever else just like Klitschko seems to pass for being an all time great fighter. Its just a crap era filled with totally average to p1ss poor heavyweights. Haye is just another one of them. If he wasn't, we would have seen it. In his entire career hes fought maybe 3 fighters that would push above the kind of standard associated with domestic or European level fighters and he was mightily unimpressive in all of them.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 24 Jul 2014, 4:07 pm

Everyone from the current era is crap, have you lot not learned anything.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Thu 24 Jul 2014, 4:13 pm

How would you know? You only began following boxing when boxrec was invented.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 24 Jul 2014, 4:13 pm

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Thu 24 Jul 2014, 4:16 pm

Ustinov looks like an oversized Arthur Abraham.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 24 Jul 2014, 4:25 pm

Considering i'm 30 and Boxrec started in 1995 you wouldn't be far off timespan wise but a hilarious wise crack as ever deadweight.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Thu 24 Jul 2014, 4:32 pm

Im sure you know the exact day and hour boxrec was launched too.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Thu 24 Jul 2014, 4:40 pm

Its ok, you're never allowed to be wrong around jokeweight - I said in a different context that Wlad is a better boxer than Pacquiao in terms of technical ability and he's used it as a crux to argue with me. Same as i do actually think I was hasty saying Mayweather only struggles with 4 Welterweights, but it can't be more than 10 in history that give him a hard night so it wasn't that far off.

But its fine, lets give him his little moment in the sun, of course debating the point at hand is beyond his meagre mind - and of course disagree with him at your peril!

Boxrec is a decent source of boxing information, I believe you're an idiot if you don't ever use it and rely on hearsay like some do.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Thu 24 Jul 2014, 4:47 pm

You realize the whole patronising thing only works when you aren't an idiot that talks crap right?

The whole credibility thing doesn't work either if you make up stories about fighting professional boxers.

Only ten welterweights in history that give Mayweather a tough fight now is it? You haven't a clue. You couldn't even speak for 10 welterweights in the last decade never mind the entire history of boxing.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Thu 24 Jul 2014, 5:33 pm

catchweight wrote:Only ten welterweights in history that give Mayweather a tough fight now is it? You haven't a clue. You couldn't even speak for 10 welterweights in the last decade never mind the entire history of boxing.

What kind of Love sacks is this?

Assumptions, assertions and just general idiocy.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Thu 24 Jul 2014, 5:37 pm

No, its based on experience of reading your posts and the understanding you haven't a clue

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Thu 24 Jul 2014, 5:46 pm

Ok, well you can have that opinion, not that its true at all.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Thu 24 Jul 2014, 5:51 pm

Is it just me or does Fury look like he's holding his stomach in? I mean he simply cannot get into decent shape no matter how good his training camps are. It's nothing to do with shape or build, just dedication. For all Haye and Wlad critics, at least they get into proper shape which is the minimum you should accept from any boxer.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Thu 24 Jul 2014, 5:55 pm

Haye and Klitschko might look good with their tops off but their stamina is totally suspect.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Thu 24 Jul 2014, 6:21 pm

To be fair I'd agree catch weight.

Take me for example....I'm 6ft and weight around 13 or 14 stone. Very decent runner, do around 60 miles a month in running and general boxing on heavy bag, skips etc etc. I have a small podge as we all tend to do.

I have mates who are ripped to feck major bench pressers looking like Hate but they can't run a mile mate!!

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Thu 24 Jul 2014, 6:48 pm

We know what Haye can do at heavyweight but we don't know how good he is at heavyweight. To pass judgement I think he would have needed to have fought a couple of Peter, Adamak, Solis, Areola, Povetkin, Chagaev, Thompson, Ibragimov or more recently Stiverne, essential ly a decent contender rather than Chaff.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Thu 24 Jul 2014, 7:28 pm

JabMachineMK2 wrote:Its ok, you're never allowed to be wrong around jokeweight - I said in a different context that Wlad is a better boxer than Pacquiao in terms of technical ability and he's used it as a crux to argue with me. Same as i do actually think I was hasty saying Mayweather only struggles with 4 Welterweights, but it can't be more than 10 in history that give him a hard night so it wasn't that far off.

But its fine, lets give him his little moment in the sun, of course debating the point at hand is beyond his meagre mind - and of course disagree with him at your peril!

Boxrec is a decent source of boxing information, I believe you're an idiot if you don't ever use it and rely on hearsay like some do.

There are way more than ten welterweights in history that give Floyd a hard night.

From the fights against De La Hoya, Mosley and Cotto I think there's enough to show that all of these give Floyd a tough fight at Welterweight had they met Peak to peak. The fight against Judah was very competitive in the early stages and for me certainly counts as a hard night even though Judah was in no danger of winning after 8 or 9 rounds.

Just from the modern era there's Pacquiao, Bradley, Williams and Martinez who all fought at Welterweight and are plenty capable of giving him a tough night.

Without going too far back there's Trinidad, Quartey, Whittaker, Chavez, Duran, Hearns, Leonard and Benitez who will almost certainly give any welterweight in history a hard night.

Picking ten to beat Floyd is a bit different but you can't think Floyd strolls to shut out victories over most of that lot do you?

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 24 Jul 2014, 7:32 pm

Bradley would be a shut out, he isn't good enough in one area to trouble Mayweather and I wouldn't say Judah was a hard fight, it was tricky for four rounds but that's it. I'll get shot down for this but I don't think Chavez troubles him at all, speed kills him almost every time above lightweight.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Champagne_Socialist Thu 24 Jul 2014, 7:36 pm

mobilemaster8 wrote:To be fair I'd agree catch weight.

Take me for example....I'm 6ft and weight around 13 or 14 stone. Very decent runner, do around 60 miles a month in running and general boxing on heavy bag, skips etc etc. I have a small podge as we all tend to do.

I have mates who are ripped to feck major bench pressers looking like Hate but they can't run a mile mate!!

Sounds like you should enter into the annual 606 best body competition

https://www.606v2.com/t54852-606-best-body-competition

Champagne_Socialist

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Thu 24 Jul 2014, 7:46 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Bradley would be a shut out, he isn't good enough in one area to trouble Mayweather and I wouldn't say Judah was a hard fight, it was tricky for four rounds but that's it. I'll get shot down for this but I don't think Chavez troubles him at all, speed kills him almost every time above lightweight.

I'd certainly pick Floyd to beat both Bradley and Chavez but I think he is pushed much harder than he has been in other fights like Marquez and Guerrero. Also you can add Meldrick Taylor and Don Curry to the list of far from straight forward fights.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 24 Jul 2014, 8:01 pm

catchweight wrote:You are too silly and up Hayes backside to realize him for what he is. He is an average heavyweight. In this rubbish era of heavyweights he passes for "world class" or "top quality" or whatever else just like Klitschko seems to pass for being an all time great fighter. Its just a crap era filled with totally average to p1ss poor heavyweights. Haye is just another one of them. If he wasn't, we would have seen it. In his entire career hes fought maybe 3 fighters that would push above the kind of standard associated with domestic or European level fighters and he was mightily unimpressive in all of them.

Haye is an average heavyweight - as his record attests.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 24 Jul 2014, 11:26 pm

Speak for yourself mm8, nothing small about my podge.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 24 Jul 2014, 11:54 pm

milkyboy wrote:

Speak for yourself mm8, nothing small about my podge.

Humble fat boy joke alert!

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 25 Jul 2014, 12:01 am

Sorry, my bad, I thought he said todge.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Fri 25 Jul 2014, 9:46 am

catchweight wrote:Haye and Klitschko might look good with their tops off but their stamina is totally suspect.

I think it's more to do with Haye's style than anything. He relies on power opposed to total output of punches. He's also not a natural heavy so he's bulked up with muscle. Muscles need energy to work so he burns through his stamina far quicker than others. Same as a cross-country runner vs a 100m runner. 100m runner relies on bulk for their power over short bursts. Cross-country runner has no muscle and is quite thin hence they've the ability to run for longer.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Fri 25 Jul 2014, 1:52 pm

Even at cruiserweight Hayes stamina was suspect. He totally ran out of steam against Carl Thompson when working at a high pace even though he looked "ripped". He has had very few rounds for someone at his stage of their career and he doesn't fight regularly which works against him. I think his engine is pretty poor despite having a good physique. His style is based on low volume punching but I would bet if he was forced to throw more and work at a higher pace he would start to run out of steam again.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 25 Jul 2014, 2:07 pm

catchweight wrote:Even at cruiserweight Hayes stamina was suspect. He totally ran out of steam against Carl Thompson when working at a high pace even though he looked "ripped". He has had very few rounds for someone at his stage of their career and he doesn't fight regularly which works against him. I think his engine is pretty poor despite having a good physique. His style is based on low volume punching but I would bet if he was forced to throw more and work at a higher pace he would start to run out of steam again.
Didn't looked anywhere near as ripped as he did for future fights. In his early CW career, Haye relied on the fact that his punch power was enough to get the job done. he openly admitted he wasn't a fan of training and preferred being a party boy. His fight at the Playboy Mansion is surely evidence of this.

The loss to Thompson was the best thing to happen to Haye as he went away, knuckled down and realized he needed to dedicate himself to the sport and as a result his conditioning improved. I think he expends a lot of nervous energy too which is why he takes time out during fights, but he's also good enough to avid too much trouble when opponents are bulling forward.

All well and good saying he'd run out steam if he was forced to work, but like saying "all you have to do to beat Wlad is take away the jab", it's easier said that done. Chisora tried pressuring Haye and was floored for his troubles. Haye still possesses the speed, timing and power to upset most HW so very few will risk leaving themselves too open to a shot but decent fighters can always create an opening and that's what Haye CAN do. Just a shame he seems less inclined to showcase the full extent of his ability.

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Fri 25 Jul 2014, 2:15 pm

Nope hes just an average heavyweight and has always had suspect stamina. Not fighting enough, not having enough rounds under his belt and probably not training with enough focus for higher work rate fights all play a part I think.

You pretend like Haye is hiding all this talent and its some ploy of his that he hasn't revealed it. The cards are on the table with him.

He might pass for a top heavyweight relative to the division he is in now. But that doesn't make him anything more than an average fighter.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 25 Jul 2014, 2:24 pm

The only cards you display are the "I hate David Haye" cards you appeared to have fashioned for yourself from bits of vented spleen and bile.

Still, whatever keeps you warm at night, son!

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Fri 25 Jul 2014, 2:33 pm

Yeas I don't like the guy. Why would I? Hes been a massive a disappointment and a conman through and through.

For someone that goes spares anytime another fighter gets a bit of publicity you seem to have a bizzare apologist regime for Hayes career of fighting mediocrity. I remember you going nuts because people were mentioning Stevenson as the top light heavyweight. Stevenson has a better record and is a more accomplished fighter than Haye is.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Fri 25 Jul 2014, 6:22 pm

"In theory, Ustinov sounds like a more dangerous opponent [than Chisora] with his 70 percent KO ratio and enormous frame. If he connected a punch with his whole 300-pound frame behind it, few men could be expected to stand up to it.In practice, however, Ustinov hasn't got the technique to make his size count in the punching stakes. His best victories are over David Tua, Denis Bakhtov, Paolo Vidoz, Monte Barrett and Michael Sprott—and they have all come on points.The 70 percent KO ratio is misleading because he has never stopped a guy in the world top 50.Therefore it is actually quite difficult to envisage how Ustinov stops Fury in this fight, and if he can't stop him and he can't outbox him—he can't win"

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2