The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Connor McGregor

+23
Good Golly I'm Olly
Collapse2005
Ent
westisbest
marty2086
Conor Anderson
Fernando
FanMan
Alistair
kingraf
trottb
Valero's Conscience
rodders
SecretFly
AdamT
LeinsterFan4life
jimdig
Nakatomi Plaza
compelling and rich
Soldier_Of_Fortune
GunsGerms
Pr4wn
Rinsure
27 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Connor McGregor Empty Connor McGregor

Post by westisbest Fri 25 Jul 2014, 12:00 pm

What do people make of him?

Have seen a couple of his fights and have been impressed.
A great win over Brandeo in Dublin.

Great to have an Irish fighter on the scene.

Pesonality wise, i'm a bit 50/50 on him.

He's quite amusing to listen to and watch.
As good a fighter as he is so far, he needs to go onto fight some top 5/10 guys on a regulatr basis to see how good he will become.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Connor McGregor Empty Re: Connor McGregor

Post by Rinsure Fri 25 Jul 2014, 12:04 pm

To quote the best film ever, Top Gun:

"Son, your ego is writing checks your body can't cash."

Until his record catches up with his mouth, I'm reserving judgement.

Good win the other night though.

Rinsure

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Fri 25 Jul 2014, 12:14 pm

Rinsure wrote:To quote the best film ever, Top Gun:

"Son, your ego is writing checks your body can't cash."

Until his record catches up with his mouth, I'm reserving judgement.

Good win the other night though.

laughing 
 clap 
That has to be one of the best lines I have seen on this thread.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Fri 25 Jul 2014, 2:05 pm

Agreed. As much as he looked impressive on Saturday, Brandao was disappointing. He folded at the end.

Looking forward to seeing him in action against Poirier

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 25 Jul 2014, 5:11 pm

I reckon he will beat Poirier. Poirier or pea head as McGregor calls him is in great shape and technically a very good all rounder. However, McGregor is in better shape, mentally stronger and his technique is almost on a par with Poirier. I reckon the only way Poirier will beat him is if he submits him.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 26 Jul 2014, 4:25 pm

Have been impressed so far with Mcgregor, has a good skill set, apparently was an Irish ABA champ. Very confident guy, I get the feeling unless he feels his opponent is on his level he likes take risks & put a show on for the crowd. I think when he is in what is perceived as a 50/50 fight we are going to see a different McGregor.

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon 29 Sep 2014, 10:00 am

Its hard not to like the guy. He's charismatic, dedicated to the sport and also he's legit.

Poirier who is no slouch, looks like he got caught up in the emotion of the fight, something that you need to be able to handle at the elite end of the sport.

McGregor looked so loose, displaying a array of kicks and punches which left Poirier bamboozled.

McGregor has got the skills, size, power and temperament to defeat Aldo.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 30 Sep 2014, 10:34 pm

McGregor looked good, as you say showed some good kicks & punches although the punch that knocked Poirier down was weird, one of those glancing blows that hit around the ear or back of the head, saw it with Overeem last fight.

Be an interesting fight against Aldo as although Aldo has great stand up stylewise its nothing McGregor hasn't seen before, but it is at a higher level than what he's faced. McGregor does bring a slightly different approach & as you say has power. Also Aldo is possibly becoming tight at the weight, seems to gas after the 1st couple of rounds, fights conservatively & not at pace. Would still have him as a favorite but not buy much & a McGregor win would not be a shock. A changing of the guard maybe?

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 06 Oct 2014, 1:51 pm

Looks like McGregor will get the next title shot. Makes sense really, biggest draw in the division v the Champ. would be some fight. Hope its Aldo not Mendes.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 06 Oct 2014, 3:18 pm

Yes I heard this yesterday, a lot don't like it but as you say he's a big, big draw, has an exciting style and is on a pretty long winning streak, that's how the UFC operates when it comes to rankings & making big fights.

I don't think I've seen Mendes fight, why do you hope its not him?

I think a lot of people see McGregor as a genuine threat to Aldo, he has power and by his own admission a different style to many. For me he does seem the real deal, just that he's new to the UFC and has not been given the chance to shine at the highest level yet.

Also Rory Macdonald is next in line for the winner of Hendricks Lawler 2, which if Lawler wins its Lawler Macdonald 2!

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 06 Oct 2014, 4:39 pm

I hope it isnt Mendes because I think it would be an easier fight for McGregor and probably a less interesting fight for a few reasons. McGregor has a significant reach advantage v Mendes and given McGregors strength is in his striking I think Mendes would struggle on his feet and McGregor is illusive enough to keep it off the mat. I reckon it would be one way traffic.

I am however, very interested to see how McGregor would fare v Aldo's vicious kicks. Both are also excellent strikers and for me two strikers going head to head in a championship fight is more interesting than watching wrestlers lie on eachother. It would also be more exciting for me as a McGregor fan to see him beat Aldo, a long running champion than Mendes.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 06 Oct 2014, 4:41 pm

I enjoyed McDonald's fight vs Saffidine. Really interesting and exciting fighter but he is a really dull character.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Mon 06 Oct 2014, 9:26 pm

Either fight would be good to watch.

If he fought Aldo, would be rooting for CM.

Mendes is tough though. Huge fan of his. Would have to side with money.

Think CM could do with a loss.
He's fun to watch in and out of the cage, but at the same time I think, jeez he's a pain in the a55.

Either fight will be tough for CM.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 07 Oct 2014, 1:23 pm

Ha lots of people want him to lose. Thats what makes his fights so interesting. I cant support anyone who has money as his nickname. Plus wrestlers are boring.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Tue 07 Oct 2014, 1:53 pm

He is a quality fighter and great to watch.

Mendes does have a powerful punch.
His finish on Cody McKenzie a couple of years ago was awesome.(dont like C MK). Why I mentioned it.

However I do think CM would beat both Aldo and Mendes.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Wed 15 Oct 2014, 8:15 pm

not a big fan of mendes. always thought he was a bit of a lay and prayer with most of his wins by decision. would much rather see mcgregor v aldo, but then again always prefer striking battles to the wrestling ground game

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 16 Oct 2014, 10:12 am

Cant argue with that. UFC can be hard to watch when they start lying on eachother.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed 17 Dec 2014, 11:59 am

Fighting Dennis Siver on jan 18th in Boston.
Another w for Connor?

Another good win over Poirier.

Also on the card, Cathel Pendred v Sean Spencer.

Not heard of Pendred before, but looks put together

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 17 Dec 2014, 12:45 pm

Pendred is ok. He was on the last season of TUF. In his debut in Dublin he beat Alex King in a fight of the night performance coming back from an early ko to get a sub. Pendred is a former Belvedere rugby player, backrow on the same team as Cian Healy. He is decent but not spectacular. Has quite a sluggish style.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed 17 Dec 2014, 12:49 pm

GunsGerms wrote:Pendred is ok. He was on the last season of TUF. In his debut in Dublin he beat Alex King in a fight of the night performance coming back from an early ko to get a sub. Pendred is a former Belvedere rugby player, backrow on the same team as Cian Healy. He is decent but not spectacular. Has quite a sluggish style.

Do you know who the coaches were, how he did?

Since I moved back in may, dont have BT SPORTS,  so out of sorts withe the UFC, when events are on etc.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 17 Dec 2014, 12:52 pm

He had BJ Penn (v Edgar). Lost after 3 rounds to the eventual winner in the quarters or earlier I think. He was quite poor. Cardio looked a problem.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 17 Dec 2014, 12:53 pm

I download them all on torrents.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed 17 Dec 2014, 12:54 pm

Ah thanks.

Miss those TUF shows.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 28 Dec 2014, 9:59 pm

You can always catch up with the episodes the next day on mmacore, its where I watch them.

The last one was pretty decent I thought, women only and some decent fights. Despite losing in the Finale to top seed and season winner Carla Espara, Rose Namajunas is a name to look out for in womens mma. I'm pretty sure she's got a UFC contract and should go on to be in some decent fights, only 22.

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 29 Dec 2014, 9:06 am

sohotnot wrote:You can always catch up with the episodes the next day on mmacore, its where I watch them.

The last one was pretty decent I thought, women only and some decent fights. Despite losing in the Finale to top seed and season winner Carla Espara, Rose Namajunas is a name to look out for in womens mma. I'm pretty sure she's got a UFC contract and should go on to be in some decent fights, only 22.

I think all the contestants got a UFC contract as it is a new division.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 29 Dec 2014, 4:03 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
sohotnot wrote:You can always catch up with the episodes the next day on mmacore, its where I watch them.

I think all the contestants got a UFC contract as it is a new division.

Yeah you're probably right, UFC need to keep expanding. Did you watch the series? Namajunas was the one that really stuck out for me, wanted her to win but fair play to Esparza she fought well, I think lack of experience played a part, but Esparza is strong.

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 29 Dec 2014, 4:10 pm

I watched it until Aisling Daly was knocked out. How did the Scottish girl do in the end?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 29 Dec 2014, 4:21 pm

I think she was submitted by Namajunas in the 2nd round. Totally out fought in the 1st round, then had a better 2nd before tapping. I though Daly was an awful fighter, just big, strong and durable with poor technique and the worst footwork I've ever seen. She's come this far with her physical attributes but at the higher/highest level gets found out. I think she my well fight at a weight above, she looked a lot bigger than her opponents.

In all I thought it was quite a good series, fights were quite good, I think womens MMA has improved and will only get better. Both coaches came across well. I hear they are lining up a new series.

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 29 Dec 2014, 4:28 pm

Daly looks out of shape and had probably the worst conditioning of all of them. However, she is experienced and pretty tough so probably not quite as bad as you say. She won her first UFC fight by arm bar submission in the first round. Her professional record is 15-5 so she cant be that bad.

Re her footwork she is a bit unorthodox but that can be advantageous. My biggest beef with he is she is quite sloppy and inefficient around the octagon and generally in bad shape.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 29 Dec 2014, 4:55 pm

I don't pay much attention to records until fighters get into the top organizations, ko power aside. Namajunas had a 2-1 record going in!

I just felt Daly was getting results based on her toughness and strength and once she steps up could get found out, wins a few loses a few. I don't think her footwork is unorthodox just bad, she's not a natural for boxing or kickboxing and I don't see it having any advantages. In stand up foot work is one of the most important aspects. Your beef as you put it is what gives me the opinion I have of her and it will be her downfall.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 19 Jan 2015, 5:08 pm

[quote="westisbest"]Fighting Dennis Siver on jan 18th in Boston.
Another w for Connor?

Another good win over Poirier.

Also on the card, Cathel Pendred v Sean Spencer.

Not heard of Pendred before, but looks put together[/quote]

Yep! Just watched the fight and Conor won via 2nd rd stoppage g'n'p. I thought he looked very impressive, he was very relaxed throughout the fight and never looked in any danger.

Looking forward to the fight against Aldo and I'm going for Conor in this one. I really think he is the real deal, is naturally big at the weight, has a good skill set with great movement, footwork and speed, and of course power. Its kind of a changing of the guard with Conor becoming the next big name in mma as well as champ.

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Tue 20 Jan 2015, 8:39 am

Saw the interview after.
Thought it was funny when he said I would beat him in 2 rounds, not 2 minutes.

Was in 2 minds over the spit bucket comments.
One the one hand its quite amusing, on the other maybe a bit disrespectful.

Should be a great fight though.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 20 Jan 2015, 10:20 am

I take what he says with a pinch of salt, he's just a hype machine giving people something to say about him. He seems to be an ok guy when you see him being himself.

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 20 Jan 2015, 11:48 am

Pendred has done really really well to get three wins from three fights. He is fairly average.

Thought it was funny when Joe Rogan said he really needs to work on his striking after probably the most telegraphed spinning kick of all time.

Some of the moves he does it seems he just does them to look good rather than any hope whatsoever of landing something meaningful. Paddy holohan who was also on the card is a much better prospect than Pendred.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 20 Jan 2015, 11:51 am

Also Joseph Duffy from Donegal (the last guy to beat McGregor) makes his UFC debut on the 14th March. He has an MMA record of 12-1 and he has also defeated Norman Parke.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 20 Jan 2015, 1:47 pm

GunsGerms wrote:Pendred has done really really well to get three wins from three fights. He is fairly average.

Thought it was funny when Joe Rogan said he really needs to work on his striking after probably the most telegraphed spinning kick of all time.

Some of the moves he does it seems he just does them to look good rather than any hope whatsoever of landing something meaningful. Paddy holohan  who was also on the card is a much better prospect than Pendred.

Interesting point as during the fight I did question the effectiveness or the potential of some of his kicks, they certainly 'look' good and are fast, just not sure how much power is in them. Wouldn't fancy finding out mind!

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed 11 Mar 2015, 1:01 pm

Watched a couple of the womans TUF on youtube.

Looked a good season.

Saw Daley's win.
Think team Pettis were 6-0 up at that point.

Few months now till Conner v Aldo.
July 11th, I will be in Benidorm on my stag do then, will find a bar to watch it.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 11 Mar 2015, 1:28 pm

It will be a cracker. Great night to have a stag. The co-main McDonald and Lawlor fight could be epic too. Try not to get too riled up and get in a fight after.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed 11 Mar 2015, 2:02 pm

Ha, no worries there.

Wanna make sure i'm not to peed so that I miss it.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 11 Mar 2015, 2:11 pm

westisbest wrote:Ha, no worries there.

Wanna make sure i'm not to peed so that I miss it.

That, in Benidorm, on your stag will be as big a challenge as Siver going 5 rounds with McGregor. you are going to get pummeled with booze.

The fight will be at 3am in Spain at least Id say wont it?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed 11 Mar 2015, 2:58 pm

Yeah, probably around that time.

I'll be telling the boys that i'll be taking it easy(ish) as i want to watch the fight. My brother and a couple of others are mma fans and will will want to watch it. Will be seeing them on saturday for the rugby, so will be telling them.

Am sure i'll still be going at that stage, although not knowing where i am.

May have to catch the re run.
Will do my best though.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Thu 26 Mar 2015, 4:31 pm

Watched some of the press tour in Brazil with McGreggor and Aldo.
He does crack me up.

Was out watching the rugby saturday and this fight was brought up.

Bit 50/50 with the lads on whose going to win.

Am gonna go with McGreggor knock out, either end of the first, or start of the second round.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 26 Mar 2015, 4:43 pm

I agree 100%. McGregor ko first or second. it will only be the second because Aldo is quite elusive. Cant see anything but a early KO for CMG.

Whatever happens he is already a multi millionnaire in the space of one year. Incredible rise.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Fri 27 Mar 2015, 10:25 am

Watched a bit last night when they were both in Vegas.
CM was at the TUF training centre.

Both went to meet the mayor.
They flew on private jets to LA.

Behind all the talk I think CM is a decent guy.
Its all for show and thats the way he is.
Certainly a character and far from boring.

When i started this post was 50/50 in terms of liking him.
He has grown on me.

When he gets the belt, can see him becoming a champ for a long time.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 27 Mar 2015, 10:42 am

Id say he will move divisions soon enough after getting the belt if he gets. Would love to see him fight Cerrone.

Have you watched the UFC embedded series for this fight? Its quite good.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Fri 27 Mar 2015, 10:45 am

Have just watched a few bits here and there.

Will check that out.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Fri 27 Mar 2015, 12:11 pm

Where can you watch these?

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Fri 27 Mar 2015, 12:31 pm

The bits I saw were on facebook.
I liked the UFC link, so videos are on my page.

Also google CM.
Click on 'news for CM', then a bunch of videos pop up.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Tue 31 Mar 2015, 9:33 pm

Just seen the press conference in Dublin.

McGregor went a bit ott by grabbing Aldo's belt and raising it in the air.

He better back up his words, otherwise he will look stupid.
Think he is getting in Aldo's head.

Dana rocking the Irish kersey.

Lot of disrespect in the crowd towards Aldo(as you might expect), this is the fight game.

One guy said people should respect Aldo a bit more, tend to agree.

If CM gets ko'd, he's going to look a fool.
80% of the crowd were hammerd, even the kids looked like they were on the sauce.

Interesting Dana was asked about having an event at Croke Park.
He said if they can do it, it will happen.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu 02 Apr 2015, 7:50 am

westisbest wrote:Just seen the press conference in Dublin.

McGregor went a bit ott by grabbing Aldo's belt and raising it in the air.

He better back up his words, otherwise he will look stupid.
Think he is getting in Aldo's head.

Dana rocking the Irish kersey.

Lot of disrespect in the crowd towards Aldo(as you might expect), this is the fight game.

One guy said people should respect Aldo a bit more, tend to agree.

If CM gets ko'd, he's going to look a fool.
80% of the crowd were hammerd, even the kids looked like they were on the sauce.

Interesting Dana was asked about having an event at Croke Park.
He said if they can do it, it will happen.

Well I seen some of the things Aldo and his fellow Brazilian atheletes have said about Conor and they are also distasteful.

Goes both way.

Love Conor McGregor. He has worked hard to get where he is today.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next