The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Connor McGregor

+23
Good Golly I'm Olly
Collapse2005
Ent
westisbest
marty2086
Conor Anderson
Fernando
FanMan
Alistair
kingraf
trottb
Valero's Conscience
rodders
SecretFly
AdamT
LeinsterFan4life
jimdig
Nakatomi Plaza
compelling and rich
Soldier_Of_Fortune
GunsGerms
Pr4wn
Rinsure
27 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Connor McGregor - Page 3 Empty Connor McGregor

Post by westisbest Fri 25 Jul 2014, 12:00 pm

First topic message reminder :

What do people make of him?

Have seen a couple of his fights and have been impressed.
A great win over Brandeo in Dublin.

Great to have an Irish fighter on the scene.

Pesonality wise, i'm a bit 50/50 on him.

He's quite amusing to listen to and watch.
As good a fighter as he is so far, he needs to go onto fight some top 5/10 guys on a regulatr basis to see how good he will become.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Connor McGregor - Page 3 Empty Re: Connor McGregor

Post by Guest Mon 14 Dec 2015, 2:57 pm

Pr4wn wrote:
sohotnot wrote:He`s nowhere near the most powerful striker in the division! He now has 17 ko`s in 19 wins! How many fighgers do you have ahead of him in the power stakes and would you care to name them?

Read what I put. There's no doubt fighters like Mendes can hit harder but they can't time like he can. He picks his shots so well.

I read what you said and just wanted to see this list of fighters that you consider to be more powerful strikers than him and you come up with one which I do agree with you on. I just don't think you can only contribute his ko ratio to his timing only, the guy can hit and hard. I think he has the highest ko ratio in the division if not the whole of the UFC. I agree the Aldo ko was as much down to timing, Aldo coming in as it was to power, but when you look at the Mendes fight he had Mendes backed up, he finished that fight with hard punches after breaking him down with body shots. A good example of timing over power would be Edgars ko of Mendes the night before, Edgar does not have the amount of ko's as CM. Another would be Sergio Martinez's ko over Paul Williams, the like we had not seen before or after. Martinez's ko ratio is not outstanding although higher now than when he went into the 2nd Williams fight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 14 Dec 2015, 3:00 pm

[quote="Alistair"]Joe Rogan said Aldo was 'nervous as f**k' when he hit the ring. Says alot. Chael Sonnen said he was expecting Aldo to fail making the weight and pull out of the fight.[/quote]

Thats what I thought, he looked scared, head down and wouldn't look CM in the eye at the instructions. I really can't see him winning a rematch mentally, CM demonstrated what he feared.

Interestingly Joe Rogan said that a lot of late money went on Aldo after the weigh in, can anyone shed any light on this?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 14 Dec 2015, 3:05 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Aldo made Rousey look like Sugar Ray Robinson. Looking forward to McGregor beating up Frankie Edgar. He's one of those guys I can't stand for some reason. However, no-one annoyed more than Clay "The Carpenter "Guida

Dreadful nickname but maybe he is an elite level and champion carpenter!

Must say Edgar is one of my favorite fighters, well rounded, good skill set, high workrate and always in shape, rarely if ever in a dull fight but I have to go with CM in this.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 14 Dec 2015, 3:19 pm

sohotnot wrote:[quote="Alistair"]Joe Rogan said Aldo was 'nervous as f**k' when he hit the ring. Says alot. Chael Sonnen said he was expecting Aldo to fail making the weight and pull out of the fight.

Thats what I thought, he looked scared, head down and wouldn't look CM in the eye at the instructions. I really can't see him winning a rematch mentally, CM demonstrated what he feared.

Interestingly Joe Rogan said that a lot of late money went on Aldo after the weigh in, can anyone shed any light on this?[/quote]
Can only assume , because McGregor lost his cool a bit when Aldo mimicked him, people thought "Oh, head's gone!"

Back to top Go down

Post by FanMan Tue 15 Dec 2015, 10:04 pm

Yeh Aldo looked the most confident he'd been at that weigh in, but seemed to loose it just before the fight. Hats of to Conor, love him or hate him he sells fights builds interest in the sport, and increases guiness sales!

FanMan

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 16 Dec 2015, 8:36 am

He's the king of Ireland!!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Tue 12 Jan 2016, 9:47 pm

OFFICIAL FIGHT ANNOUNCEMENT:

Conor McGregor Vs Rafael Dos Anjos for the UFC Lightweight World Championship.
March 5th.
MGM Grand, Las Vegas.
LIVE ON PPV.

This McGregor Inc. executive business decision is brought to you by the King himself in association with EA Sports. 'McGregor is the Game.'

Mr. McGregor would like to thank the fans and the media for their patience in this decision.
Mr. McGregor was still busy counting the take from his last fight.

He has chosen to dedicate this demolition job to the loyal people of Brazil and all the fans around the globe who stay true to their roots and loyal to their land.

Mr. McGregor has said that Rafael is a traitor to his people and vows to "behead the 'American Gringo' Rafael Dos Anjos, in the name of La Brasilia!"

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 12 Jan 2016, 11:32 pm

A fight to look forward to, Dos Anjos was very impressive in his wins over Petits & Cerrone, definitely a tough fight for CM. How does everybody see this one going?

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed 13 Jan 2016, 9:08 am

I'm wondering if CM is strong enough.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Wed 13 Jan 2016, 12:57 pm

Fantastic fight. MMA is so interesting to follow comparaed to boxing as the elite continually fight the elite.

Connor shouldn't be allowed to keep the 145ib belt unless he can defend at least twice a year.

Feel sorry for Edgar as the UFC will shaft anyone to keep their cash cow happy.

If Connor can't fight by June/July latest, make him vacate and let Edgar and Aldo have their rematch for the belt.

Ps - i don't think Connor can make 145ib again especially after going up to 155 for his next fight so i see him (if he wins) to milk the applause for 2 months as a two-weight champ then vacating.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 13 Jan 2016, 1:11 pm

Pr4wn wrote:I'm wondering if CM is strong enough.

I think he would be, he cuts a huge amount of weight to make 145, he could actually be better at 155. I wouldn't be surprised to see him end up at 170, he has the frame for it.

Interestingly I saw a video the other night with Dana White discussing this with DC & Florian and apparently under UFC rules & regulations a fighter cannot hold belts at different weights at the same time, whether they will make an exception with CM or strip him and give him the right to challenge I don't know. Chances are if he beats Dos Anjos he'll stay at 155, hype sells for a 2 weight champion.

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Wed 13 Jan 2016, 4:30 pm

sohotnot wrote:
Pr4wn wrote:I'm wondering if CM is strong enough.

I think he would be, he cuts a huge amount of weight to make 145, he could actually be better at 155. I wouldn't be surprised to see him end up at 170, he has the frame for it.

Interestingly I saw a video the other night with Dana White discussing this with DC & Florian and apparently under UFC rules & regulations a fighter cannot hold belts at different weights at the same time, whether they will make an exception with CM or strip him and give him the right to challenge I don't know. Chances are if he beats Dos Anjos he'll stay at 155, hype sells for a 2 weight champion.

I agree, Connor is essentially a true 155'er that struggled to make it to 145 so wold be much more naturally suited to 155.

UFC rules are supposed to not allow 2 weight champs at same time. The main reason is it stacks up and slows down the division due to inactivity (i.e. a fighter only has 3 fights a year so one division only gets 1 title shot in a year and if an injury, none at all)!

In saying that the UFC has a history of bending the rules to keep their golden stars happy including somehow to give Connor exemption and allow an IV to rehydrate which was banned for everyone else and turning a blind eye to Belfort's failed drug test prior to his fight with Jon Jones!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 14 Jan 2016, 3:42 pm

Good to see a thread about a real fighter. I love boxing, but to be honest the sport is becoming a joke and the fighters rarely take on the best.

It is good to see a man of McGregor's confidence and ability. Tough fight at 155 for sure.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 14 Jan 2016, 9:20 pm

AdamT wrote:Good to see a thread about a real fighter. I love boxing, but to be honest the sport is becoming a joke and the fighters rarely take on the best.

It is good to see a man of McGregor's confidence and ability. Tough fight at 155 for sure.

OK

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 14 Jan 2016, 9:20 pm

Good to see you over here.

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sat 16 Jan 2016, 12:01 pm

Yeah I love boxing, but politics is doing my head in. UFC is doing good things.

Cheers mate.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 20 Jan 2016, 5:35 pm

sohotnot wrote:A fight to look forward to, Dos Anjos was very impressive in his wins over Petits & Cerrone, definitely a tough fight for CM. How does everybody see this one going?

1st round KO. It seems evident at this point that McGregor is a level above everyone else.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 21 Jan 2016, 9:21 am

GunsGerms wrote:
sohotnot wrote:A fight to look forward to, Dos Anjos was very impressive in his wins over Petits & Cerrone, definitely a tough fight for CM. How does everybody see this one going?

1st round KO. It seems evident at this point that McGregor is a level above everyone else.

Good shout guns - looking at the face to face yesterday Conor looked the bigger man too.

I haven't seen that much of Dos Sanjos (as I'm a bit of a bandwagon mma fan Smile) - he looked dangerous against Cerrone but you have to think CM and Kavanagh wouldn't have went this route if they didn't think they could do the business at 155.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 21 Jan 2016, 3:07 pm

Rodders I have seen enough of him. I still think McGregor ko, but if Conor doesn't fight harder to stop the takedown, he could be in trouble. When he fought Mendes, he looked comfortable on his back. Perhaps his size advantage helped. He won't have the same luxury vs Dos Anjos. He has great BJJ.

Anyway still a first round KO Very Happy

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 21 Jan 2016, 4:11 pm

AdamT wrote:Rodders I have seen enough of him. I still think McGregor ko, but if Conor doesn't fight harder to stop the takedown, he could be in trouble. When he fought Mendes, he looked comfortable on his back. Perhaps his size advantage helped. He won't have the same luxury vs Dos Anjos. He has great BJJ.

Anyway still a first round KO Very Happy

I think people make too much of the Mendes fight. Yes Mendes took him down a lot however, McGregor had a knee injury in the lead up to the fight and had not been able to do any takedown drills. Also as a result of the injury McGregor had by far the toughest weight cut of his UFC career, add to that the draining round the world trips and media obligation that he did without Mendes' help I think there has never been a time in his career that he has looked as drained and emotional as he did in the build up to, at the weigh ins, before, during and after the fight.

I really think that even though Chad's preparations weren't ideal either that was the best chance he will ever have of beating McGregor because I think McGregor is a lot better than we saw in that fight and he still won by 2nd round KO.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 21 Jan 2016, 8:33 pm

I agree with everything you say mate. He looked relaxed on the ground. Was just pointing out, he won't want to be in a similar situation with Rafael.

Still think it will be a one round ko/tko.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 22 Jan 2016, 9:43 am

I agree with both of you Smile
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Conor Anderson Fri 29 Jan 2016, 2:01 pm

The McGregor/RDA fight will be a test of Conor but one I fully expect him to pass. Dos Anjos has looked good as of late, strong and has great BJJ as mentioned but McGregor is just frightening to watch. He seems to be filling out really well (never really in doubt) and I think he'll put on another masterclas

Conor Anderson

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Fri 19 Aug 2016, 9:49 pm

Really hope Connor can get the win.
He's becoming more ott with every fight, but funny all the same.

If Diaz could say more in his vocabulary then f you and motherfcker, and putting his middle fingers in the air, he might make for a more interesting character.

Obviously a great fighter, he just gets annoying with all this gangster rubbish.

My team would beat your team rubbish.
It's about you and Connor in there not the teams.

The press conference was quite amusing but at the same time pretty pathetic.

It's certainly been entertaining to watch all the same.
I would like Connor to win, because I prefer him and would look forward to a third fight being a win each.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 19 Aug 2016, 10:24 pm

I don't think there will be a 3rd fight despite what CM said at the press conference, this rematch is all about redemption for CM. If CM steamrolls Diaz job done. If he beats him convincingly on points he proves he's a championship fighter and the real deal. Only if its a controversial win for CM will there be a possible rematch.

Fan of both fighters so no real preference in who wins. Just hope that Diaz is not also up against the ref as well, think the judges will be on CM's side though.

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sun 21 Aug 2016, 9:57 am

Couldn't see the fight.
Glad Connor won though. Was hoping it would have been by ko.

A wins a win, now it's all level.

I think there will be a third fight.

Connor was saying he wants it to be at 155.

Be interesting to see what happens now.

Should go back and defend his belt and continue picking up w's.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Tue 23 Aug 2016, 3:47 pm

Dana is saying there won't be a third fight. Conor needs to defend his belt.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 23 Aug 2016, 3:48 pm

I don't think he will defend it. I think he will go straight for Alveraz at 155.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue 23 Aug 2016, 5:09 pm

bored of the mcgregor side show, not a fan of smack talk and prefer to watch the action in the ring. its not wwe. the "king" has returned after getting beat by and then winning a close victory against a bang average if not tough welter in diaz. diaz in his last 15 has won 8 lost 7.

all credit for his win against aldo, but his welter record to date suggests he wont be able to mix it with the good fighters at the weight unless he improves

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Thu 25 Aug 2016, 9:36 am

Conor would get absolutely battered by the top welters. Lawler would eat him.

Speaking of welters, McDonald has been poached by Bellator.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Thu 25 Aug 2016, 1:00 pm

McGregors problem at Welterweight is his power doesn't have the same impact even if hes still a big puncher, his takedown defence has improved as shown on Sat night but he panics on the ground and lacks the confidence there

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Thu 25 Aug 2016, 1:13 pm

i can see it getting more like boxing, connor jumping up and down picking the fights which suit him and the ufc happy to cater for him because he makes them so much money.

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Thu 25 Aug 2016, 4:49 pm

Danas already said he will fight Aldo next, after that he will probably vacate if he wins as theres not much else for him at Featherweight as hes beating the man who dominated it, beating Mendes and Aldos seen of Edgar.

His future is likely lightweight with the odd big fight at Welterweight, maybe a GSP match which wouldn't end well for him if its classic GSP

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Thu 25 Aug 2016, 5:26 pm

gsp at 60% mauls connor, wouldn't be pretty to watch but it would be very one sided. gsp can man handle big welters so wouldn't have too much problem with connor. if he can handle the power of hendricks and the size of nick diaz not sure what connor offers more than either of them. the only chance he would have would be ring rust and inactivity catching up with gsp

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 02 Sep 2016, 3:35 pm

compelling and rich wrote:bored of the mcgregor side show, not a fan of smack talk and prefer to watch the action in the ring. its not wwe. the "king" has returned after getting beat by and then winning a close victory against a bang average if not tough welter in diaz. diaz in his last 15 has won 8 lost 7.

all credit for his win against aldo, but his welter record to date suggests he wont be able to mix it with the good fighters at the weight unless he improves  

Gotta say I'm bored with it as well now, he's made his name and as long as he keeps winning his name won't disappear and he will keep earning.

Bit harsh on Diaz, who actually is a LW,look at the people he has faced, no surprise that he has losses on his record. But as we are constantly reminded in MMA a loss isn't the end of the world and keeping your 0 isn't as important.

Neither fighter for me were in tip top shape for the fight, both apparently came in with injuries and Diaz had competed in a triathlon 6 weeks previously, probably not the best idea.

With regards to a rubber match I really didn't think it would happen whatever the result and if it were to happen at 155 it won't be any easier for CM, 155 is Diaz's weight class. It would really only benefit Diaz financially a retiremant fund maybe. CM is always going to get money fights and fights like this don't prelong a fighters career.

So where now for CM? Aldo rematch? Alvarez? I wonder if the 2 Diaz fights have become the making of CM as a fighter, first fight was a wake up call, the second a learning process. Does he move on to become a better fighter? Or will doubt start to creep in?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 02 Sep 2016, 3:38 pm

Pr4wn wrote:Conor would get absolutely battered by the top welters. Lawler would eat him.

Speaking of welters, McDonald has been poached by Bellator.

Wow! That's a surprise, whats the deal with Rory? Surely Dana didn't cut him or not offer him a decent contract if it was up? Got to say I do like Rory, always in a good fight. Not sure the quality of Bellators WW division but feel he is to good not to be in the UFC.

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri 02 Sep 2016, 4:38 pm

Gonna earn more in Bellator, think its a higher base salary plus bonuses and then he earns sponsors money too which makes a big difference as the Reebok deal has killed that

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 04 Sep 2016, 1:45 pm

Interesting. I know the UFC pay structure is pretty complicated and seems to lack consistency but surprised that Dana just let him go. I have heard that since the Reebok deal fighters have lost sponsorship money. Hasn't Benson Henderson moved over to Bellator? Rory vs Benson is a great fight.

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Fri 06 Apr 2018, 8:58 pm

Made a mess of his UFC career now.

Could/should have fought Ferguson/kahbib.

Would of liked to have seen a third fight against Diaz.

Stripped of the title and in trouble after his latest antics.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 07 Apr 2018, 11:01 pm

I was a big fan until this happened. Now I just think he's a bit of a pr!ck. What a sad, pathetic, moronic thing to do.

There's no way Dana will cut him though cos he's always gonna be money.

I'd bet my bank on Khabib tying him in knots, though. As soon as he takes Conor down he has his way all day long. I'd fancy him to take Ferguson.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sun 08 Apr 2018, 12:14 pm

Just pr, millions more in the bank.

He'd behave himself if society didn't lap this crap up and pay through the nose for it.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 28 Apr 2018, 2:58 pm

Apparently despite not fighting since beating Alvares, Conor has moved up the p4p rankings, and despite being undefeated and 'winning' the title, Khabib has moved down!

Conor Khabib mooted for Russia later this year.

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Mon 08 Oct 2018, 1:00 pm

As an Irish fan and a McGregor fan I am glad McGregor lost. I thought his antics in Brooklyn were disgusting and while he was punished for it I think an a$$ wooping by Khabib is a more fitting punishment.

That said Khabib's team should be banned for life for coming into the ring and sucker punching a guy who had just been choked out. Low lifes. Khabib himself probably deserves some sanction for his eagle jump on Dillon Danis but whether he gets one or not he deserved his win 110%. Great performance from him.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Mon 08 Oct 2018, 1:14 pm

Conor threw a punch 1st hence why he got his asskicked post-fight Ok! You can see him throw one at the guy who chased Khabib up the cage Laugh

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 08 Oct 2018, 1:16 pm

Fernando wrote:Conor threw a punch 1st hence why he got his asskicked post-fight Ok! You can see him throw one at the guy who chased Khabib up the cage Laugh

You mean the guy who was going to join the attack on his team?

The attack on McGregor had nothing to do with that otherwise the first guy would have attacked him once he jumped into the Octagon

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Mon 08 Oct 2018, 1:32 pm

Fernando wrote:Conor threw a punch 1st hence why he got his asskicked post-fight Ok! You can see him throw one at the guy who chased Khabib up the cage Laugh

That seems unlikely. McGregor did throw a punch so not without blame but that guy was jumping over the cage to join the melee so maybe he deserved it?

Nobody has any business jumping into a cage and sucker punching a guy who has just got subbed. Its fairly cowardly stuff.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Mon 08 Oct 2018, 1:39 pm

Collapse2005 wrote:

That seems unlikely. McGregor did throw a punch so not without blame but that guy was jumping over the cage to join the melee so maybe he deserved it?

Nobody has any business jumping into a cage and sucker punching a guy who has just got subbed. Its fairly cowardly stuff.

You're both assuming he was heading to join in but no one will ever be able to prove if he was or not just cos he jumped on a cage.

Can't excuse the others cheapshotting Conor but if you throw a punch at a guy expect one back nowadays.

Bad day for the sport anyway nope

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 08 Oct 2018, 1:42 pm

Fernando wrote:
Collapse2005 wrote:

You're both assuming he was heading to join in but no one will ever be able to prove if he was or not just cos he jumped on a cage.

Can't excuse the others cheapshotting Conor but if you throw a punch at a guy expect one back nowadays.

Bad day for the sport anyway  nope

Melee? You mean an ongoing assault, if he wasn't going to join in why jump the cage in such a rush?

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Mon 08 Oct 2018, 1:50 pm

marty2086 wrote:
Fernando wrote:
Collapse2005 wrote:

Melee? You mean an ongoing assault, if he wasn't going to join in why jump the cage in such a rush?

He could of been going to try stop it l Ok! You'll never be able to prove anything different either whether you think different or not OK

It's all good though Khabib made Conor his b*tch OK

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 08 Oct 2018, 1:52 pm

Fernando wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
Fernando wrote:
Collapse2005 wrote:

He could of been going to try stop it l Ok! You'll never be able to prove anything different either whether you think different or not OK

It's all good though Khabib made Conor his b*tch OK

Well why isn't it ok to punch someone running towards an attack on your team?

Funny how different standards apply Rolling Eyes

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next