The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golovkin v Mayweather!!

+9
catchweight
88Chris05
mobilemaster8
hazharrison
AdamT
kingraf
3fingers
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
hayemaker
13 posters

Go down

Golovkin v Mayweather!! Empty Golovkin v Mayweather!!

Post by hayemaker Sun 27 Jul 2014, 3:12 pm

I just saw Golovkin win there. Great performance and what power this guy has. I would love to see Golovkin against Mayweather. Offence v Defence. Who do you think would win?!

hayemaker

Back to top Go down

Golovkin v Mayweather!! Empty Re: Golovkin v Mayweather!!

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 27 Jul 2014, 3:25 pm

Floyd will make him boil down to 150 if it were to happen (which it won't) which would probably take too much out of GGG

GGG isn't a huge middleweight and can make 154, and at 154 I just can't see May weather lasting

Yes Floyd is the better fighter by far but I can't see golovkin trying to box him liek Canelo but swarm him like maidana

Floyd can outmaneuver ggg but ggg will just walk him down and even if ue cqn only hit arms/body it'll still wear down Floyd as his hands are THAT heavy. Floyd is 36 and ccant stand taking too many shots and can see ggg just overwhelming floyd

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Sun 27 Jul 2014, 3:40 pm

Is that a serious question hayemaker? GGG would punch holes in him. It would be a mismatch.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 27 Jul 2014, 3:46 pm

Reading this on the mobile, couldn't see the OP's name. The multiple exclamation marks, or multiple punctuation marks in general is intellectual property.

Anyway, Floyd has a tough chin, but if old Mosley could rock his world at near his peak, Golovkin dines out on him at 154.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 27 Jul 2014, 6:24 pm

If Floyd did take the fight and miraculously won, were would you guys rank him then? Surely he would have to be top 10.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sun 27 Jul 2014, 6:27 pm

AdamT wrote:If Floyd did take the fight and miraculously won, were would you guys rank him then? Surely he would have to be top 10.

Doubtful. Golovkin would be a career-enhancing win but (as we've done to death on here) he doesn't have enough of them. If you have someone like Leonard hovering around 10th, how could you displace him for Floyd?

Moot anyway - Floyd wouldn't ever fight him.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun 27 Jul 2014, 6:39 pm

If Floyd did take the fight it would probably be at a catchweight or at 154lbs so either way its tarred with the fact one fighter wasn't at their specific weight. Its mad. I rate Floyd as a top 5 ATG. Many disagree yet some do. Its irrelevant

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun 27 Jul 2014, 7:58 pm

Out of all the possible opponents from Welter to Middle, I suspect Golovkin is the guy who is of least interest to Floyd. I doubt there are many fighters in history aged 37, with as much money in the bank as Mayweather and the same kind of size (really just a small Welter who is good enough to win the 154 title because of his immense skill) who'd be taking that chance against Alvarez at 160. I know a lot of people take it as read that Golovkin would try to tempt Mayweather by meeting in the middle 154, but I'm pretty sure Golovkin has never fought inside the Light-Middle limit, for all the talk about it.

But let's just say Mayweather surprised us all and challenged Golovkin - I wouldn't be quite so dismissive of Mayweather's chances as a lot of others seem to be, as crazy as that might make me sound.

I've actually thought in his last couple of fights that Golovkin's been taking a couple of liberties with his defence that he wasn't taking in earlier fights. Granted, this may be because against Adama and Geale he had them hurt early as well as tasting their power without any ill effects, so he probably realised that he didn't have to be too worried about what was coming back so instead focussed on just chasing them out of the ring, which he duly did. But that kind of lax attitude to defence can get you in a spot of bother against a super-accurate, smart counter puncher if you can't bomb them out.

Could he bomb Mayweather out? Very possibly, but let's not forget the kind of defence Mayweather brings to the table. It leaked a bit more than usual against Maidana but that wasn't one of Mayweather's best performances - in fact it was one of his least impressive. If Mayweather was on his game and navigated the first few rounds without getting badly clocked I think he'd have a chance.

Kind of feel that once Golovkin knows he's hurt a man early he can go in to auto pilot and look as if he's just going through the motions a bit. If he drops in to a repetitive attack and doesn't vary his patterns then Mayweather could potentially crack his code and take some rounds off him. Could see it being a lot less exciting and conclusive than many others and feel that maybe Golovkin on points might be how it went, although it's very hard to say.

But anyway, it'll always remain a pipe dream and I don't think anyone really expects this fight to even get to within a mile of the negotiating table, never mind actually take place.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 27 Jul 2014, 10:03 pm

I wouldn't give a Mayweather much of a shot at all unless Golovkin was dead at the weight. He hits too hard and hes too good at closing the ring off. He could walk right through Mayweather punches if he wanted to.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 27 Jul 2014, 11:38 pm

GGG is too big for Floyd. Its the only reason he would more than likely win. If he moved up to face Ward, he would get picked apart.

wouldn't mind seeing him face Froch. That would be a great fight.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 28 Jul 2014, 4:16 am

Floyd might be a smart, sharp, even accurate counter puncher. But the sting in his punches hasn't carried up, probably not past, say 140 (I mean he needed two bites at the cherry to suckerpunch Ortiz). At 37, I just think he isn't keeping Golovkin off him for love or money. I know the Maidana fight wasnt a career night, but given the six month layoffs fighters take, there's almost no point in comparing fights from two or three years ago, moreso with a 37-year old man. At his peak, or younger light middleweight years, you'd give Floyd every chance, but I'm pretty sure this ends more like Porter-Malignaggi, than Floyd-Canelo. All speculative, of course, and Golovkin hasn't forced himself into consideration with mandatory status at light middleweight, and there should be no expectation for Floyd to go up another weight class (Cotto farce withstanding). Floyd didn't want nothing to do with Martinez (a former light middleweight champ) all those years ago, at 154 another guy I think probably beats him, albeit for different reasons, he simply isn't touching Golovkin. But, for the sake of the sport, which needs a new superstar bad, I wish he'd sacrifice himself.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 28 Jul 2014, 9:29 am

Never gonna happen.

Mayweather has never taken on that level of risk in his career and won't be starting now!!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Tue 29 Jul 2014, 1:05 pm

I'm not really a Mayweather fan, but I can't hold it against him for not taking this fight. Mayweather is a welter who has already moved up to fight at light middle. Now he's expected to move up yet again to fight a younger, stronger, full blown middleweight?

At 37 years old, that would be a hell of a risk for Mayweather.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 29 Jul 2014, 1:31 pm

Its a fight I'd love to see but it ain't gonna happen and I certainly wouldn't blame floyd for it. In reality he wouldn't be giving any more away than he did against Alvarez but he's a different proposition.

Were it to happen,  like Chris, I wouldn't completely write him off. 3G is a cracking fighter but he's quite mechanical on how he breaks guys down. Depends how much on the slide floyd is, but I could see floyd just not being there to hit everytime golovkin was set to throw. Hey, I can see 3G walking through him as well, but I don't see it as a foregone conclusion.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue 29 Jul 2014, 2:41 pm

Golovkin would fold Floyd in two with a body shot, probably within two rounds.

Won't happen of course nor could anyone hold anything against Floyd for not accepting the challenge.

Floyd doesn't have to prove anything above welter for me, but there's still a few things he needs to do at that weight if he's ever going to break a top 15 AT list. I'll give him a top 25 placing though already no problem.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 29 Jul 2014, 4:20 pm

Guys compare triple g to ward. Someone closer to his natural size and age. Floyd is a Jr welterweight that campaigns at welter/light middle.

I know people are desperate for Floyd to lose but honestly if he did beat GGG, some of you guys would want him to fight David Haye next.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 29 Jul 2014, 4:37 pm

I'm sorry Adam, but if you hold a title at a weight, and a fighter claims he can make that weight... well, it's hardly shocking to hear fans demand the fight...
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 29 Jul 2014, 4:51 pm

But I think a GGG fight would be at 160, which isn't where PBF says he's a champ.

@154, if Floyd did win, I'm guessing we'd here calls of 3G being 'drained' down to meet Floyd and being exposed as a hype job etc etc.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 29 Jul 2014, 5:11 pm

Floyd doesn't always take on the best opponents but I will not hold GGG against him. Floyd needs to fight Manny, then either Thurman or the winner of Brook and Porter. If Khan keeps winning he can then fight him. If he has another fight after that then maybe a Canelo rematch or some new champion before he retires.

If he does the above, he will make my top 10.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 29 Jul 2014, 5:45 pm

I don't hold a Golovkin duck (if and when it becomes one) against Floyd, but thats not the same as saying calling for a Golovkin fight is unreasonable. Two world champs, one division apart, one of whom is willing to go down/up. It's not a far fetched ask. Like I said, I understand him not taking it, but boxing needs a new star, so it would be great if Floyd could miscalculate this and put himself on the altar for the greater good.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Tue 29 Jul 2014, 6:00 pm

Aren't they actually two divisions apart? Floyd is a welterweight who has moved up to light middle and won a title there. Now he's expected (by some) to move up again to fight at middleweight.

I don't like catchweight title fights, but it's the only way I see this fight happening. Then for me, the win if Floyd won, would always have a question mark.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 29 Jul 2014, 6:16 pm

He's a titlist at 154. I know we don't give a fu.ck about titles anymore, but I used to think holding one at the weight meant you could fight there, and more importantly keeping the title meant you had intentions of staying there.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 29 Jul 2014, 6:19 pm

Floyd's the champion at light middleweight - a titlist at welterweight.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Tue 29 Jul 2014, 6:30 pm

Just a thought, where does Floyd get to draw the line? If he moves up and beats GGG, will he then be expected to fight Ward as he holds a title at 160lbs? When Ray Leonard won the light heavy title, would anyone have expected him to move up to cruiserweight and fight Holyfield?

Sorry to ask so many questions.  Very Happy

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 29 Jul 2014, 6:34 pm

Cotto and Canelo should be what people discuss. If Mayweather won't fight pacman for 100mill, I doubt he will fight 3G for less than half of that. 3g should fight Quillan and then the winner of Cotto fight.

Then if he goes up to SMM he could tackle Andre Ward. Honestly, do any of you guys think he could compete with Ward? It would be Hopkins v Pavlik all over again.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 29 Jul 2014, 7:51 pm

AdamT wrote:Cotto and Canelo should be what people discuss. If Mayweather won't fight pacman for 100mill, I doubt he will fight 3G for less than half of that. 3g should fight Quillan and then the winner of Cotto fight.

Then if he goes up to SMM he could tackle Andre Ward. Honestly, do any of you guys think he could compete with Ward? It would be Hopkins v Pavlik all over again.

The longer Ward stays in the garage (what is it now, two fights since Dec 2011?) the better Golovkin's chances become.

I'm surprised Ward doesn't catch flak from the two dullards on the other thread. He's actually exhausted 168 and so by their reckoning he should be chasing Kovalev and Stevenson.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 29 Jul 2014, 8:24 pm

Haz he is very inactive, that is true. Anyway GGG vs Quillan and the winner fights Cotto v Canelo winner. Think this could happen?

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 29 Jul 2014, 9:04 pm

Atila wrote:When Ray Leonard won the light heavy title, would anyone have expected him to move up to cruiserweight and fight Holyfield .  Very Happy

No one would expect it, but you would have loved watching holy flatten him Very Happy 

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 29 Jul 2014, 10:02 pm

AdamT wrote:Haz he is very inactive, that is true. Anyway GGG vs Quillan and the winner fights Cotto v Canelo winner. Think this could happen?

Quillin is on the wrong side of the TV divide and slated to face Danny Jacobs and Curtis Stevenson I believe. There is a school of thought that he's merely keeping an alphabet title warm for one of GBP's bigger names (Canelo possibly later in the year). It's a shame as I'd love to see Golovkin take him on.

Arum has been quoted on liking Cotto-Canelo over a Golovkin fight, so you'd imagine that fight happens early next year (Cotto is pencilled in for the Garden in December in an off PPV match).

If I had to bet Strongback's medication money, I'd reckon Golovkin gets Soliman in Oct/Nov.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 29 Jul 2014, 10:06 pm

Golovikin crushes Soliman. In fact he crushes every middle. Maybe I'm harsh saying Ward schools him but if Golovikin goes to SM his power advantage will be not as clear. Still, he has a good jab and is very patient. Time will tell how good he really is.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 29 Jul 2014, 10:09 pm

AdamT wrote:Golovikin crushes Soliman. In fact he crushes every middle. Maybe I'm harsh saying Ward schools him but if Golovikin goes to SM his power advantage will be not as clear. Still, he has a good jab and is very patient. Time will tell how good he really is.

I'd make Ward favourite but as I said earlier, the more active Golovkin is and the less active Ward is, the odds narrow considerably.

Ward has some great fights at his disposal if he can get back in the game. Golovkin, Kovalev and Stevenson. Wow.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 29 Jul 2014, 10:52 pm

Ward needs to step up to light heavy. No fights left at 168 unless 3G moves up and that could be a while.

Problem with Ward is, he is not very exciting. He holds alot and fights a little dirty. Reminds me a bit on Hopkins. Not the most exciting ever but a very shrewd operator.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Tue 29 Jul 2014, 11:55 pm

milkyboy wrote:
Atila wrote:When Ray Leonard won the light heavy title, would anyone have expected him to move up to cruiserweight and fight Holyfield .  Very Happy

No one would expect it, but you would have loved watching holy flatten him Very Happy 
I like the way you've edited my comment. Pulling one sentence out of the whole comment and putting a smiley next to it. Very sneaky Milky! You are every bit the Ray Leonard fan I thought you were. Smile

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 30 Jul 2014, 8:27 am

You got me Atila. I'm going to retire now... But I may be back in the future to take you on at a catchweight.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Wed 30 Jul 2014, 11:49 pm

milkyboy wrote:You got me Atila.  I'm going to retire now... But I may be back in the future to take you on at a catchweight.
Don't forget the special gloves and the large ring, you'll need those too.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down