The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can Brook v Khan Sell Out Wembley?

+21
Hammersmith harrier
JabMachineMK2
theanimal316
Derbymanc
CallMeBenji
AlexHuckerby
TRUSSMAN66
mobilemaster8
lambertm100
TopHat24/7
Rowley
jimdig
DuransHorse
milkyboy
Seanusarrilius
88Chris05
hogey
ONETWOFOREVER
catchweight
Dipper Brown
Strongback
25 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Can Brook v Khan Sell Out 80,000 at Wembley Stadium

Can Brook v Khan Sell Out Wembley? - Page 2 Vote_lcap15%Can Brook v Khan Sell Out Wembley? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 15% 
[ 4 ]
Can Brook v Khan Sell Out Wembley? - Page 2 Vote_lcap22%Can Brook v Khan Sell Out Wembley? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 22% 
[ 6 ]
Can Brook v Khan Sell Out Wembley? - Page 2 Vote_lcap22%Can Brook v Khan Sell Out Wembley? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 22% 
[ 6 ]
Can Brook v Khan Sell Out Wembley? - Page 2 Vote_lcap11%Can Brook v Khan Sell Out Wembley? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 3 ]
Can Brook v Khan Sell Out Wembley? - Page 2 Vote_lcap30%Can Brook v Khan Sell Out Wembley? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 30% 
[ 8 ]

Total Votes : 27

Can Brook v Khan Sell Out Wembley? - Page 2 Empty Can Brook v Khan Sell Out Wembley?

Post by Strongback Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:00 pm

First topic message reminder :

Khan has said: " Having the fight in the UK would be amazing. I'd like it somewhere such as Wembley Stadium which I think would be a quick sell out."

Hearn has said the fight will be massive and what the British public want.

Can Matchroom repeat the Wembley trick?

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Can Brook v Khan Sell Out Wembley? - Page 2 Empty Re: Can Brook v Khan Sell Out Wembley?

Post by CallMeBenji Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:19 am

IN fairness, Toppy most of them hadn't. Even so, if you want to seel anything north of an arena full then you need the casuals to buy into it. If people are influenced by peoples' experiences at FGII then they are, in my opinion, less likely to want to fork out for Brook v Khan.

CallMeBenji

Back to top Go down

Can Brook v Khan Sell Out Wembley? - Page 2 Empty Re: Can Brook v Khan Sell Out Wembley?

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:54 am

Also remember that Groves and Froch are both white......

Color of skin does help in marketability..............Especially back home but I'm sure here too.....If maybe to a lesser extent !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:06 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Also remember that Groves and Froch are both white......

Color of skin does help in marketability..............Especially back home but I'm sure here too.....If maybe to a lesser extent !!

Is DeGale seen as less British or something in your world?

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:08 am

Strongback wrote:

Rather than libel Hearn like you do every week..

Feel free to call me a racist ??

See what happens..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:36 am

Are you sh tting me, you could market a radish over here if you stuck a union jack on it.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:39 am

If Khan could sell 50,000 here...............No way would he go to Washington against Petersen in front of 2,000 max.....

Brook is a no name...........and they haven't got a great, controversial first fight behind them......and there is no real dislike...So no grudge match..

Should have put a union jack on Fury and Chisora..........If ticket sales are to be believed.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by theanimal316 Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:41 am

To Truss's point, I remember hearing somewhere before that prior to Leona Lewis all reality tv show winners in the UK had been white. Could be purely coincidental rather than the general public showing favouritism.

I can't see Khan-Brook selling out Wembley as neither are great talkers which Groves and to a lesser extent Froch excelled at so more difficult to engage the casual fan, as well as FGII had the unique selling point of the controversy and uncertainty over the stoppage in the first fight.

theanimal316

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:44 am

White people are more likely to have white idols........

More white people over here......

It's not a racist thing..............Just how it is.....

Me I couldn't give a toss If they are brown, white, black or pink..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:52 am

Sorry but that's an excuse to try and justify certain peoples behaviour. Fury vs chisora featured a big white guy so by Truss's logic should have sold, it didn't because of the price of tickets.

Groves/Froch II sold out Wembley due to the pantomime of a first fight not because both look like they enjoy moonbathing.

Sportsmen/women tend not to have a colour barrier anymore as people want them to do well for their country etc. You'll always get some idiots but they're few and far between.

Disappointed in that statement.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:54 am

Derbymanc wrote:Sorry but that's an excuse to try and justify certain peoples behaviour. Fury vs chisora featured a big white guy so by Truss's logic should have sold, it didn't because of the price of tickets.

Groves/Froch II sold out Wembley due to the pantomime of a first fight not because both look like they enjoy moonbathing.

Sportsmen/women tend not to have a colour barrier anymore as people want them to do well for their country etc. You'll always get some idiots but they're few and far between.

Disappointed in that statement.

The first fight was a shed..

Stop p*****g about with what I write..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:03 am

Also remember that Groves and Froch are both white......

That's what you wrote Trussy and it's Bullsh t.

The first fight ended in a pantomime way which is what helped sell the 2nd Groves/Froch fight, the colour of their skin had nothing to do with it, apart from too the few idiots that believe in racist crap.

If you don't like people calling you on the offensive stuff you write then don't write it.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:10 am

Some of Britain's biggest current sporting heros are Mo Farah (a Somali Muslim immigrant) and Jess Ennis (a mixed race child of a Jamaican father).

British boxing's next great hope is arguably AJ, and most would agree he (if successful) will be massively popular, and he's a son of Nigerian immigrant parents. He will be a 21st century version (though hopefully more talented & successful) of Frank Bruno who was an incredibly popular son of West Indian immigrant parents.

So, basically, I'm not sure what you're getting at, Truss??

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:11 am

Derbymanc wrote:Also remember that Groves and Froch are both white......

That's what you wrote Trussy and it's Bullsh t.

The first fight ended in a pantomime way which is what helped sell the 2nd Groves/Froch fight, the colour of their skin had nothing to do with it, apart from too the few idiots that believe in racist crap.

If you don't like people calling you on the offensive stuff you write then don't write it.

It's not b******t...........It's a fact...............

Only offensive to idiots..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:12 am

Are people really stupid enough not to know Color sells ??..

Geez..

Still call Boxers great white hopes FFS..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:14 am

I think people can get behind a character they can relate to.

Take Ricky Hatton. Every inch the every man, likes a pint of Guinness, likes his football, humble and relatable. A big part of his popularity was being a man of the people. I don't think being white is enough to get white people to relate to you.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:18 am

Think it's a bit of a stretch to say Brook or Khan are being held back due to their race. I don't agree with that, if that's what's being suggested.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:23 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Are people really stupid enough not to know Color sells ??..

Geez..

Still call Boxers great white hopes FFS..

British examples, please?

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:24 am

Watched Minter v Hagler the other day..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:27 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Watched Minter v Hagler the other day..

So you're only way to substantiate your point is from 30 years ago?

Do you even realise how ridiculous you sound??!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:30 am

Fathers have impressionable Sons who have impressionable Sons..

Color sells.............Always has..........

Being naive or contrary like usual..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:35 am

This is the problem with Society today............You have an opinion based on certain truths............and It's offensive....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:38 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Fathers have impressionable Sons who have impressionable Sons..

Color sells.............Always has..........

Being naive or contrary like usual..

So that'll be a no then. Ergo you're full of crap.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:43 am

Nobody is claiming that the UK is some utopia of free thinking, open minded individuals. There are racists in this country as in any other.

But being of an ethnic minority doesn't have a detrimental effect on your popularity or marketability. Being white doesn't give you a free pass to popularity.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:44 am

Look.............Ask yourself this honest question..

If a Promoter had the choice of a good looking white boxer or a good looking black Boxer of similar ability...

Who would he choose to sign ???

If you say the black one It's bollox...

I don't like it anymore than anyone else....

The rise of the BNP in 2009 and the rise of UKIP in 2014..(Largest party) Show that many people want their BRITAIN back...

I hate all that stuff..

Don't be naive guys !!

I deal in honest truths and I'm not racist.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:46 am

Firmly believe with Sky's hype machine of 2014 back then, a Benn Eubank fight would have sold out Wembley stadium. They aren't white.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:47 am

'truths' that you cannot support with any evidence?

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:48 am

They were huge characters like Frazier v Ali..........and had a great first fight that wasn't in a Stadium

Why was Gerry Cooney so big ??.............

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:53 am

So again your answer is an example from 30 years ago.....??

Why not go the full hog and use Jeffries to make your point, the original 'great white hope'??

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:55 am

That's the crux of my argument. Khan and especially Brook aren't huge characters, they couldn't sell out a stadium regardless of colour.

I'm not on here to discuss these type of things so I'll leave it at that.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:03 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Look.............Ask yourself this honest question..

If a Promoter had the choice of a good looking white boxer or a good looking black Boxer of similar ability...

Who would he choose to sign ???

If you say the black one It's bollox...

I don't like it anymore than anyone else.....

End of..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:11 pm

End of what? You trying to peddal opinion as 'fact'?

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:24 pm

I see only 4 out of 24 posters think It's a huge fight..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:25 pm

Which means........?

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:29 pm

No offence......But you're better off on the off topic section, Mate..

Or maybe come back when Chris is on... Wink 

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:01 pm

Better off??

You continually fail to see the hilarious irony of such statements - i.e. for all your boasted 'infinite boxing wisdom' you're an absolute doddle to take apart, even my someone like me whose knowledge you scoff at!! laughing

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:30 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

This is the problem with Society today............You have an opinion based on certain truths............and It's offensive....

Nope what you say is racist and offensive.

There's a small minority that might think like you do but it's a minority. Most get behind British sportsmen/women regardless of skin colour.
Show me 1 British boxer thats failed in the last few years due to the colour of his skin.

Can I also make the point that Brook/Khan won't be able to sell out Wembley Arena and it's nothing to do with the colour of their skin, more to do with the fact that the only selling point is that they don't like each other .......a bit. There's no build up like Froch/Groves, no clamouring for it like Benn/Eubank, It can still do well but not Wembley Well.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:12 pm

Colour sells? Who let Truss near the time machine - the fat sod has set it to 1965!

Maybe 20/30 years ago at the absolute minimum colour "sold" but now, we've moved on as a country and consider our fighters on their merits rather than by the colour of their skin. Jeez, didn't expect to read anything so neanderthal.

In regards to your question - good looking white boxer (Joe Calzaghe) or Good looking Black boxer (Roy Jones Jr) who would you sign in 2003?

I'd sign RJJ every single day of the week because I'm not a racist oik like some around here it seems.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:30 pm

I'll defend you Beefster, whilst I don't think colour is perhaps as big a deal as you think do think to a certain extent, particularly in the States talented white fighters are seen as something as the holy grail. I look at people like Joe Mesi from not so long back, he was promoted and hyped in complete disproportion to his actual talents. Can only assume to some extent the fact he was both white and Italian American was a factor in this.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:38 pm

Don't agree Rowley, at all. Outside of racism - which lets face it is the minority now, skin colour doesn't matter at all even in America.

They call "the great white hope" because of a recognition of the skin colour and size being heavyweight, not as a detriment to the other fighters who are black.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:23 pm

JabMachineMK2 wrote:Colour sells? Who let Truss near the time machine - the fat sod has set it to 1965!

Maybe 20/30 years ago at the absolute minimum colour "sold" but now, we've moved on as a country and consider our fighters on their merits rather than by the colour of their skin. Jeez, didn't expect to read anything so neanderthal.

In regards to your question - good looking white boxer (Joe Calzaghe) or Good looking Black boxer (Roy Jones Jr) who would you sign in 2003?

I'd sign RJJ every single day of the week because I'm not a racist oik like some around here it seems.

All the personal stuff..............But don't worry I won't CRY to the mods........like a little squirty wirty..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:25 pm

Rowley wrote:I'll defend you Beefster, whilst I don't think colour is perhaps as big a deal as you think do think to a certain extent, particularly in the States talented white fighters are seen as something as the holy grail. I look at people like Joe Mesi from not so long back, he was promoted and hyped in complete disproportion to his actual talents. Can only assume to some extent the fact he was both white and Italian American was a factor in this.

Never said it was a big issue color...just that it does exist in sport.......Nor did I say I agreed with it.....So why I'm a racist..God only knows.....

I agree with your post Rowls.....Lesser issue over here..But still prevalent.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:04 pm

Can you name me some recent british boxers that have been held back because of their colour Truss?

I'm genuinely intrigued by this as I'd say it was near enough a non -issue on this great isle of ours.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:22 pm

Skin colour can make a slight difference to how a boxer sells in Britain but I don't believe it is down to racism but more down to relating to somebody similar to yourself.

Ricky Hatton is the perfect example, his draw was disproportionate to both his talent and his charisma, he did however have a man of the people image which Man City fans in particular related to. Now there is a strong majority of white males in this country which is understandable so those who relate to him outnumber those who relate to Amir Khan for example.

That is one very specific example which is an anomaly amongst a varied mix of cultures who sit at the apex of British boxing; Haye, Khan, Calzaghe and Froch in recent times have all had a strong backing.

You do also have to look at the specific reasons why boxers are disliked and it has nothing to do with ethnicity; Haye is seen as a let down who promised much without delivering, Khan had a habit of speaking before engaging his brain, Calzaghe's career for the most part was dire and Froch has a very high opinion of himself.

Froch and Khan I would say get an equal share of bad rep amongst boxing fans which suggests to me that it goes far beyond skin colour. Joshua is seen as the next big hope for British heavyweight boxing and at a relative stage in his career is rated far higher than Price for instance.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:48 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Strongback wrote:

Rather than libel Hearn like you do every week..

Feel free to call me a racist ??

See what happens..

See what happens????? What are you going to do pull your usual cnuts trick and go whining to the mods. I still remember you as the super-grass of the old board.

You have a warped attitude towards race which you have demonstrated on a regular basis. You seem to have particular problems with South Asians.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:10 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
JabMachineMK2 wrote:Colour sells? Who let Truss near the time machine - the fat sod has set it to 1965!

All the personal stuff..............But don't worry I won't CRY to the mods........like a little squirty wirty..

I've told you fatso - present evidence, I've said i don't mind the mods posting anything you're saying I've said to them - but you're the true definition of pot - kettle and black.

You're a waste of time, I've not read anything good from you in months.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:19 pm

Don't be like that.......

You can be so hurtful at times..

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:37 pm

Froch v Groves proves color is not an issue.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by RanjitPatel Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:43 pm

Why does colour of skin effect marketability?

Hasn't seemed to bother Mayweather.

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:44 pm

Didn't bother Frazier and Ali either..

Did bother Cooney and other white hopes....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:25 pm

Dipper Brown wrote:Think it's a bit of a stretch to say Brook or Khan are being held back due to their race. I don't agree with that, if that's what's being suggested.
I don't think that they're being held back either. But it's certainly not impossible to suggest that they would be more popular if they were white.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next