The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+30
Mad for Chelsea
lorus59
westisbest
I'm never wrong
skiddy
GunsGerms
Adam D
Be_the_ball
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
Plunky
Roller_Coaster
Bob_the_Job
MustPuttBetter
BlueCoverman
SmithersJones
Shotrock
gw
gaelgowfer
golfermartin
Davie
kwinigolfer
barragan
Sand
Diggers
pedro
incontinentia
beninho
navyblueshorts
McLaren
JAS
34 posters

Page 15 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 15 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by JAS Tue 02 Sep 2014, 6:30 am

First topic message reminder :

McLaren wrote:Right now I would rather we still had Wellbeck and little pea and that Falcao had never arrived.  Not too impressed by the signing of Di Maria either.

"We"?? I'm surprised you associate yourself to an organisation that has squandered over £135 this summer, whilst there are homeless people on the streets and starving children in the world!! They could have spent £135m on those things and left the squad alone, finishing top half would still be ok wouldn't it? Especially if so many peoples lives were improved by redirecting transfer monies to charity.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 15 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by Shotrock Mon 20 Oct 2014, 3:02 pm

Beatles have been/are massively overplayed, but I find their entire catalog of work jaw dropping. "White Album" among the clunkers, but what they did with "Rubber Soul" and "Revolver" still among my favorite albums of all time.

Joni Mitchell always seems to be overlooked, but an incredible songwriter, both musically and lyrically. Not familiar with her? Check out "Blue" and "Hejira".

I REALLY like Leonard Cohen.

A couple more with some amazing stuff are Jackson Brown and Stevie Wonder. No one can be prolific for 40+ years, but they have had moments of brilliance (IMO).

My guilty pleasure? Early Genesis. Songs full of quirk and some sensational music ("Cinema Show", etc). Release the arrows, I can take it! Wink

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 15 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by westisbest Mon 20 Oct 2014, 3:17 pm

incontinentia wrote:Yes a lot of negativity from the realist camp, have you watched true detective yet super/westi?

No buddy.

The mrs got it for my birthday, so will have to start watching soon.

Looking forward to it.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon 20 Oct 2014, 4:58 pm

Some Stevie Wonder stuff is brilliant, ebony and ivory is not. A programme on Genesis, a couple of weeks back, was really interesting. Phil Collins i am not a fan of though.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Tue 21 Oct 2014, 8:55 am

I caught that, only ever been aware of the later "single" based stuff (and some of their solo offerings) but was a very interesting watch. To be honest I had no idea that they were as big as they were.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Tue 21 Oct 2014, 9:33 am

Shotrock wrote:
My guilty pleasure? Early Genesis. Songs full of quirk and some sensational music ("Cinema Show", etc). Release the arrows, I can take it! Wink

I too like early Genesis - Selling England By the Pound is a great album.

I would suggest you dig out an album by It Bites called Once Around The World - it's where Genesis could/should have gone next.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 21 Oct 2014, 10:14 am

5 years for Pistorious plus 3 years suspended sentence. Interesting. Probably the least he deserved IMO.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 21 Oct 2014, 10:21 am

No doubt a big book deal when he "walks" out in a couple of years.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue 21 Oct 2014, 10:24 am

Brave call by the judge, thought he was going to get house arrest due to his celebrity and disability.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Tue 21 Oct 2014, 12:15 pm

Presumably I must have missed this point but can anyone enlighten me as to where  Pistorious thought Reeva was when he decided to shoot without first establishing who he was shooting at?

Given he came very close to being found guilty of murder, this judgement does seem a bit on the lenient side.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue 21 Oct 2014, 12:24 pm

He thought she was in bed gael, he neglected to confirm this before opening fire on the bathroom door(it was pitch dark according to him).
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Tue 21 Oct 2014, 12:56 pm

Thanks incontinentia.  Just seems incredulous that anyone, even in a gun culture country like South Africa, would fire a gun in the dark without first establishing the whereabouts of his partner.  I mean, if you had been woken out of, say, a deep sleep and had heard someone moving around, would you not check first to make sure it wasn't your partner before letting off with a gun?  I really don't understand how her death could be put down to a mistake.  It's just not credible.  Reeva Steenkamp did not get justice ... imo.

I also don't understand how her parents were able to accept such a lenient sentence.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 21 Oct 2014, 1:03 pm

THe problem is in proving the prosecutions assertions. It wasn't in doubt that she was killed by Douglas Bader, but they failed to prove there was anything other than manslaughter. The sentence is the discretion of the judge and SA judicial system.

The main point is that the court couldn't prove it was murder. Not checking to see if your partner is in your bed can't increase the sentence.

He seems a pretty unpleasant character though.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 21 Oct 2014, 1:09 pm

I think something is rotten when Pistolius avoids maximum security prison by promising to wear an ankle monitor....

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 21 Oct 2014, 1:18 pm

Sounds like he'll be out in ten months.
Totally unsympathetic figure.
But a warning to his next girlfriend . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue 21 Oct 2014, 1:22 pm

gaelgowfer wrote:Thanks incontinentia.  Just seems incredulous that anyone, even in a gun culture country like South Africa, would fire a gun in the dark without first establishing the whereabouts of his partner.  I mean, if you had been woken out of, say, a deep sleep and had heard someone moving around, would you not check first to make sure it wasn't your partner before letting off with a gun?  I really don't understand how her death could be put down to a mistake.  It's just not credible.  Reeva Steenkamp did not get justice ... imo.

I also don't understand how her parents were able to accept such a lenient sentence.
Yes gael it is a stretch to believe he wouldn't have checked to see if Reeva was in bed before shooting, especially as he was only ~6 feet away from the bed when he heard the noise in the bathroom. It is apparent though that Pistorius was very paranoid about someone breaking into his house. A couple of months before the killing he had arrived home to hear noises in one of his rooms. He fetched his gun and in his own words, went into "full recon mode" before discovering it was the washing machine. He told the world about this via twitter.

Something I find difficult to reconcile with Oscar's version is that he said when he got his gun, he shouted several times to Reeva to call the police. She would've heard him from the bathroom, why didn't she answer??
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue 21 Oct 2014, 1:23 pm

pedro wrote:I think something is rotten when Pistolius avoids maximum security prison by promising to wear an ankle monitor....
laughing Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Tue 21 Oct 2014, 1:24 pm

super_realist wrote:THe problem is in proving the prosecutions assertions. It wasn't in doubt that she was killed by Douglas Bader, but they failed to prove there was anything other than manslaughter. The sentence is the discretion of the judge and SA judicial system.

The main point is that the court couldn't prove it was murder. Not checking to see if your partner is in your bed can't increase the sentence.

I think it was more a case of the judge giving him the benefit of the doubt.  At least, that's how her judgement came across to me at the time.  An "unpleasant character" indeed who had an unhealthy interest in guns.

Still, even in giving him 'the benefit', she could have handed out a stiffer sentence.  She had up to 15 years at her disposal.

Perhaps she just wanted to neuter the legendary "pitbull" prosecutor! Laugh

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 21 Oct 2014, 1:25 pm

gaelgowfer wrote:Thanks incontinentia.  Just seems incredulous that anyone, even in a gun culture country like South Africa, would fire a gun in the dark without first establishing the whereabouts of his partner.  I mean, if you had been woken out of, say, a deep sleep and had heard someone moving around, would you not check first to make sure it wasn't your partner before letting off with a gun?  I really don't understand how her death could be put down to a mistake.  It's just not credible.  Reeva Steenkamp did not get justice ... imo.

Says the one who can't, for a second, put herself in the position that Pistorius says he was in. You're basing what you say on your own preconceptions. C0ck-ups happen. This was one of them in all likelihood. What you're talking about is vengeance, not justice. The reason you don't understand what Steenkamp's parents are saying re. acceptance of the sentence is quite instructive don't you think?
I think the 5 years is a reasonable compromise. Even Steenkamp's mum is saying she thinks justice has been served from what I can gather.

pedro wrote:I think something is rotten when Pistolius avoids maximum security prison by promising to wear an ankle monitor....
Is that what they're saying he'll do now? Where is that being said?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 21 Oct 2014, 1:29 pm

Navy, ever heard of sarcasm?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 21 Oct 2014, 1:35 pm

gaelgowfer wrote:
super_realist wrote:THe problem is in proving the prosecutions assertions. It wasn't in doubt that she was killed by Douglas Bader, but they failed to prove there was anything other than manslaughter. The sentence is the discretion of the judge and SA judicial system.

I think it was more a case of the judge giving him the benefit of the doubt.  At least, that's how her judgement came across to me at the time.  An "unpleasant character" indeed who had an unhealthy interest in guns.

Still, even in giving him 'the benefit', she could have handed out a stiffer sentence.  She had up to 15 years at her disposal.

Perhaps she just wanted to neuter the legendary "pitbull" prosecutor! Laugh

Gael, the judge HAS to give the benefit of the doubt on the basis there is no evidence it was murder.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 21 Oct 2014, 1:36 pm

incontinentia wrote:

Yes gael it is a stretch to believe he wouldn't have checked to see if Reeva was in bed before shooting, especially as he was only ~6 feet away from the bed when he heard the noise in the bathroom. It is apparent though that Pistorius was very paranoid about someone breaking into his house. A couple of months before the killing he had arrived home to hear noises in one of his rooms. He fetched his gun and in his own words, went into "full recon mode" before discovering it was the washing machine. He told the world about this via twitter.

Something I find difficult to reconcile with Oscar's version is that he said when he got his gun, he shouted several times to Reeva to call the police. She would've heard him from the bathroom, why didn't she answer??
The fact that you don't understand why this wasn't what happens is neither here nor there. He should have done all you suggest. He should have done any number of other things. He didn't but that doesn't mean things didn't happen as he claims.
Seriously, you need to live in SA I think. I have some Saffa friends who have all sorts of ordnance at their disposal and, they assure me, would more or less shoot first and ask questions afterwards. Not saying it's right but then I don't have to live in the same environment that they do.

Even if he shot her, deliberately, in the heat-of-the-moment, do you think that what you've seen of his behaviour throughout the proceedings, that he doesn't regret it? I think he'll be haunted by it for the rest of his days. If that's the case, I seriously doubt he gives a damn what length the custodial sentence actually is. Do you?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 21 Oct 2014, 1:38 pm

pedro wrote:Navy, ever heard of sarcasm?
Yes. Didn't come across well via discussion forum to me I'm afraid. Sorry!
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue 21 Oct 2014, 1:42 pm

I agree with you navy, and believe Pistorius' version. It's just strange is all, maybe if we were in that situation we would understand.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Tue 21 Oct 2014, 1:59 pm

[/quote]
I have some Saffa friends who have all sorts of ordnance at their disposal and, they assure me, would more or less shoot first and ask questions afterwards. Not saying it's right but then I don't have to live in the same environment that they do.[/quote]

Saffa friends of mine say that you can't leave the house at the same time every day, you should always mix it up. Even drive around the block and back. A Zimbabwean friend lost his father due to him answering the door to the wrong people. He as elderly and hard of hearing, they knocked on the door he answered he got agitated as he couldn't hear what they were saying so one of them shot him. Only last week we had a Saffa who's been in the UK for 11 years tell us that what happens is you have people come down to SA from central Africa already with weapons and the local thugs offer them the equivalent of £20 for a C class Merc, so they'll shoot you through the door and pull you out the window for £20.

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Tue 21 Oct 2014, 2:03 pm

Agree.

Its just logic to check to see if your partner was in bed next to you.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Tue 21 Oct 2014, 4:02 pm

westisbest wrote:

Agree.

Its just logic to check to see if your partner was in bed next to you.

Not having been in that situation I would also agree. I remember staying in a hotel just outside Cape Town (towards Camps Bay which is very affluent), the windows all had bars/grills on and we were told in no uncertain terms by the owner to make sure everything was locked at all times, I wasn't comfortable and believe that this is one of the nicer places in SA too.

So, I guess if (and a big if) you did wake up and genuinely felt your life was in danger (as break ins in SA could possibly have you feel) it is possible that, however much we protest it is unlikely in our relatively safe environment, logic and rational thought could be overtaken by reaction.

That said, I personally don't buy it and also think the (effectively) 10 month incarceration is an incredibly weak sentence. But it's been through the "proper channels" in SA and that's what it is, so we have to suck it up!

Doubt I'll give a toss in a day or so though I'm afraid and mentions of "Oscar" can revert in my mind to simply being the garbage can guy from Sesame Street.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 21 Oct 2014, 4:19 pm

Be_the_ball wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:I have some Saffa friends who have all sorts of ordnance at their disposal and, they assure me, would more or less shoot first and ask questions afterwards. Not saying it's right but then I don't have to live in the same environment that they do.

Saffa friends of mine say that you can't leave the house at the same time every day, you should always mix it up. Even drive around the block and back. A Zimbabwean friend lost his father due to him answering the door to the wrong people. He as elderly and hard of hearing, they knocked on the door he answered he got agitated as he couldn't hear what they were saying so one of them shot him. Only last week we had a Saffa who's been in the UK for 11 years tell us that what happens is you have people come down to SA from central Africa already with weapons and the local thugs offer them the equivalent of £20 for a C class Merc, so they'll shoot you through the door and pull you out the window for £20.
Nice! Even better down there than I thought. This is the environment that Pistorius is in...albeit he had some gated compound kind of thing no doubt. Not surprised he had access to weapons and might have been a little trigger-happy tbh.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 21 Oct 2014, 4:21 pm

Roller_Coaster wrote:[...Doubt I'll give a toss in a day or so though I'm afraid and mentions of "Oscar" can revert in my mind to simply being the garbage can guy from Sesame Street.
Laugh Indeed...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Tue 21 Oct 2014, 6:53 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:

If it's any consolation Pedro, I thought it was funny.  The pompous, patronizing NBS clearly got out of bed on the wrong side today. Rolling Eyes

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue 21 Oct 2014, 8:17 pm

gaelgowfer wrote:The pompous, patronizing NBS clearly got out of bed on the wrong side today. Rolling Eyes

HAHA best laugh I've had today!

Clearly irony is a lost art in gael-land

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 21 Oct 2014, 8:48 pm

gaelgowfer wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:

If it's any consolation Pedro, I thought it was funny.  The pompous, patronizing NBS clearly got out of bed on the wrong side today. Rolling Eyes
I disagree with something you write and it's "pompous and patronizing"?? I suppose it takes one to know one. I can be "patronising" if you like? Will that do?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 21 Oct 2014, 8:56 pm

thumbsup NBS!

What do you all make of that "Russian submarine" off Stockholm? Are the Russians playing tricks - or is it in fact a pod in the US Ryder Cup Task Force trying to decipher the success of Swedish golf?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Thu 23 Oct 2014, 8:43 am

RIP Nathan Cirillo.

Shocking stuff.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 27 Oct 2014, 12:03 pm

Spoiler:
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 27 Oct 2014, 12:52 pm

Lovely Mac, I find the language tabloids use to make the story even funnier.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Mon 27 Oct 2014, 12:52 pm

Mac - and your point is?

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 27 Oct 2014, 12:57 pm

Now we know why this thread is titled "Anything Goes".
Too bad it was taken literally.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Mon 27 Oct 2014, 1:09 pm

raycastleunited wrote:Mac - and your point is?

I think he just wanted to show us a picture of his Mum! Laugh  Run

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 27 Oct 2014, 1:09 pm

BlueCoverman wrote:
raycastleunited wrote:Mac - and your point is?

I think he just wanted to show us a picture of his Mum! Laugh  Run

It's the girlfriend he assures us he has.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 27 Oct 2014, 1:23 pm

Just thought it was funny. Who doesn't like the odd bit of toilet humor?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 27 Oct 2014, 1:24 pm

I thought it was funny Mac, shows just how scummy Britain actually can be.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 27 Oct 2014, 1:33 pm

What's the fuss? I doubt people can taste the difference.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Mon 27 Oct 2014, 1:35 pm

What a pile of Poopie.

A diner said, yesterday.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 27 Oct 2014, 2:25 pm

Did anyone see Tommy Robredo's reaction to getting beaten by Murray yesterday? Excellent stuff.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Tue 28 Oct 2014, 12:28 pm

Super you would have enjoyed the article in the Metro newspaper this morning naming England's fattest towns. The top 8 are all in the North East.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 28 Oct 2014, 12:45 pm

raycastleunited wrote:Super you would have enjoyed the article in the Metro newspaper this morning naming England's fattest towns. The top 8 are all in the North East.

Judging by what I see these days, every town is fat now.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 29 Oct 2014, 9:12 am

PC Nazis drivng the bus? For sure Ben Affleck comes across as the most looney of the bunch.
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/cal-bears-petition-to-ban-bigot-bill-maher-2014-10-28

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 29 Oct 2014, 9:24 am

I quite like Maher for an American chat show host, usually they are awful, very outspoken but usually spot on when it comes to religion.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 29 Oct 2014, 9:27 am

Bill Maher is a bit of an idiot (former anti vaxxer) but nothing he said to Affleck was racist. Maher made some very bad points, which is unfortunate as it was a chance for him to explain the problems religion brings. As for Sam Harris, he is a pseudo scientist at best, trying to make money from being a controversial atheist.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 29 Oct 2014, 9:32 am

Quite like Sam Harris Mac, can't really disagree with anything that he says about religion. He explains perfectly why it is so stupid.

He's certainly not a pseudo scientist though Mac. He's a neuroscientist by background.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 20  Next