The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fighters who just need that chance to shine

+5
hazharrison
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Dipper Brown
kingraf
88Chris05
9 posters

Go down

Fighters who just need that chance to shine Empty Fighters who just need that chance to shine

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 23 Oct 2014, 12:28 pm

Afternoon, gents.

Even in today's era of multiple belts and more weight classes, there are still some fighters who just never get that lucky break which allows them to leave their mark on mainstream boxing. Sometimes it's due to mis-management, sometimes it's problems with injuries / fitness, sometimes they're just flat out avoided and can't secure the right kind of fights to make them a mandatory.

Is there anyone out there who you think is a real talent, and who just needs to be given that chance? Someone who might be unheralded, but who you've followed and think is the real deal ready to cause a few surprises?

I'll get the ball rolling with Thobisa Mchunu (I know there are one or two other guys on here who will give him a heads up as well, such as kingraf). I really thought that his dissection of Eddie Chambers last year would kick-start his career at Cruiserweight, and that he'd be in the picture for title fights in 2014 - but so far nary a word of him getting in there with any of Huck, Hernandez, Wlodarczyk or Jones for a belt.

No doubt Mchunu's style may be a sticking point. Watching him, you'd think he was a Cuban rather than a South African and his quality-over-quantity, pure boxer style definitely won't excite everyone. He could well prove to be a Rigondeaux figure (Mchunu is also a southpaw like Rigo) for the Cruiserweight division - not a big seller, but a stylistic nightmare to the top guys with the ability to make them look poor in the process. But we need different styles at the top of divisions to keep the sport interesting for the spectators, and personally I think it's refreshing to see a Cruiser with hand speed, footwork, countering ability, upper body movement and defence - just not the kind of style you normally associate with the division.

He'd probably start as a betting underdog against the belt holders at 200 lb, but I think he'd surprise a lot of people if he gets the opportunity.

Over to you, lads. Anyone else who has slipped most other peoples radar, but who is on yours and who you think will be a great success if they get that little bit of luck? Cheers everyone.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Fighters who just need that chance to shine Empty Re: Fighters who just need that chance to shine

Post by kingraf Thu 23 Oct 2014, 1:18 pm

On Mchunu, stunning fighter. Bit like Truss says about Khan, no one is going to outbox him. Simple as. Does have serious questions about his chin, as Zack Mwekassa exploded on his face a few years ago. Zack hits like a train though, so I don't know how big a question it really is. Mchunu's chin or lack thereof does sort of dovetail his other drawback - his drawing power. On a local forum, quite a few where quite critical of the fact that he failed to put away a rather average Wilson. Very much safety first, like the rest of the Smith gym.

His stablemates, Malcom Klaasen and Kevin Lerena are probably similar in terms of just needing a shot. Most of you should recall Klaasen, as he's a 2x world champ, and was pretty much robbed down under not too long ago. He's improved a lot since joining the Smith Brothers though and a good fight for anyone in his division.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Fighters who just need that chance to shine Empty Re: Fighters who just need that chance to shine

Post by kingraf Thu 23 Oct 2014, 1:19 pm

Also it's Thabiso
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Thu 23 Oct 2014, 1:51 pm

kingraf wrote:On Mchunu, stunning fighter. Bit like Truss says about Khan, no one is going to outbox him. Simple as. Does have serious questions about his chin, as Zack Mwekassa exploded on his face a few years ago. Zack hits like a train though, so I don't know how big a question it really is. Mchunu's chin or lack thereof does sort of dovetail his other drawback - his drawing power. On a local forum, quite a few where quite critical of the fact that he failed to put away a rather average Wilson. Very much safety first, like the rest of the Smith gym.

His stablemates, Malcom Klaasen and Kevin Lerena are probably similar in terms of just needing a shot. Most of you should recall Klaasen, as he's a 2x world champ, and was pretty much robbed down under not too long ago. He's improved a lot since joining the Smith Brothers though and a good fight for anyone in his division.

We don't hold Mayweather's personal life against him so shouldn't be any different for this guy laughing

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu 23 Oct 2014, 2:31 pm

I was impressed with the way Mchunu schooled Eddie Chambers. The same way Eddie has been schooling Heavyweights by using speed and skill.

I laughed when there was rumour they where going through him in with Cleverly, he would have took Cleverlys soul.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 23 Oct 2014, 3:12 pm

Ilunga Makabu looks decent at cruiserweight - skilled, good pop.

Andres Gutierrez is making a lot of noise. He has a big fight coming up next month against puncher Hugo Ruiz.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 23 Oct 2014, 3:16 pm

Problem with Makabu is he's a bit of a moon man. But yeah he does look a prospect once his actually in the ring
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 23 Oct 2014, 3:16 pm

kingraf wrote:Problem with Makabu is he's a bit of a moon man.  But yeah he does look a prospect once his actually in the ring

Moon man?

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu 23 Oct 2014, 4:17 pm

hazharrison wrote:
kingraf wrote:Problem with Makabu is he's a bit of a moon man.  But yeah he does look a prospect once his actually in the ring

Moon man?

Yep, he's from the moon.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 23 Oct 2014, 5:08 pm

Hmm, I actually was an internationally recognised term.... anyway, its an Afrikaans phrase, apparently, which means, basically, a person who is rather listless, and directionless, or at least gives that impression... I suppose like an astronaut stuck on the moon without mission control?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 23 Oct 2014, 5:14 pm

kingraf wrote:Hmm, I actually was an internationally recognised term.... anyway, its an Afrikaans phrase, apparently,  which means, basically, a person who is rather listless, and directionless, or at least gives that impression... I suppose like an astronaut stuck on the moon without mission control?

Brilliant!

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Thu 23 Oct 2014, 5:19 pm

We should all go out of our way to make it a mainstream, international term.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Thu 23 Oct 2014, 5:31 pm

I'm going to go Brit here and say Paul Butler;

Whilst he is known and still a bit of a prospect I think he has the type of style, not to mention lack of star quality, which will see him avoided especially by the other domestic fighters who could give him a platform to shine ...McDonnell & Yafai/Khan should they continue to progress as they are. Hopefully these type of fights get made but given he is under the Warren platform I feel we may see his growth stunted as he is fed patsies.

A couple of others;

Rances Barthelemy - Unbeaten, the renowned Cuban skills and style, yet fairly unheralded outside of the niche fans of the lower division. Partly his own fault, as he is (typical of the cubans) capable of putting audiences to sleep. However shouldn't detract from the fact he is very capable of springing some upsets amongst the Super Featherweights - Garcia, Vargas, Uchiyama, Salido all sit in and around him in the rankings...a win against any could quickly propel him.

Vanes Martirosyan - Most will know of him; came up short against Andrade but was giving Lara fits before the contest was stopped in the 9th. A new style, trainer and outlook seems to have given him the kick start he needed. May well fall short on the day against the best of Light-Middle but equally capable of pulling off and upset in my eyes. Will be interesting to see how his changes hold up against the cream of the crop.

Omar Figueroa - Can stand up and have a fight but also has underated boxing skills. Again some would have heard of him (had one of the fights of 2013 against Arakawa); in a division containing Linares, Vazquez & the now king of the division Terrence Crawford a big fight is surely just round the corner...I fancy him to make waves and overcome all 3!

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Thu 23 Oct 2014, 7:13 pm

Rather than Rigo, Mchunu reminds me more of Kell Brook mixed with Adrien Broner.

He does a lot of redundant stuff in the ring, sometimes more style over substance, other times very effective.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Thu 23 Oct 2014, 7:24 pm

Only seen the Chambers fight. Chambers seemed to struggle with the southpaw stance (and the associated counter back hand) more than anything else. While Mchunu is somewhat talented, and reads the game well, I can't really pass judgement on how good he'll be based on that fight.

I'll pass judgement when I've seen how his countering style holds up against a good pressure fighter (something chambers most certainly isn't).

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 23 Oct 2014, 8:18 pm

owen10ozzy wrote:I'm going to go Brit here and say Paul Butler;

Whilst he is known and still a bit of a prospect I think he has the type of style, not to mention lack of star quality, which will see him avoided especially by the other domestic fighters who could give him a platform to shine ...McDonnell & Yafai/Khan should they continue to progress as they are. Hopefully these type of fights get made but given he is under the Warren platform I feel we may see his growth stunted as he is fed patsies.

A couple of others;

Rances Barthelemy - Unbeaten, the renowned Cuban skills and style, yet fairly unheralded outside of the niche fans of the lower division. Partly his own fault, as he is (typical of the cubans) capable of putting audiences to sleep. However shouldn't detract from the fact he is very capable of springing some upsets amongst the Super Featherweights - Garcia, Vargas, Uchiyama, Salido all sit in and around him in the rankings...a win against any could quickly propel him.

Vanes Martirosyan - Most will know of him; came up short against Andrade but was giving Lara fits before the contest was stopped in the 9th. A new style, trainer and outlook seems to have given him the kick start he needed. May well fall short on the day against the best of Light-Middle but equally capable of pulling off and upset in my eyes. Will be interesting to see how his changes hold up against the cream of the crop.

Omar Figueroa - Can stand up and have a fight but also has underated boxing skills. Again some would have heard of him (had one of the fights of 2013 against Arakawa); in a division containing Linares, Vazquez & the now king of the division Terrence Crawford a big fight is surely just round the corner...I fancy him to make waves and overcome all 3!

Martirosyan? He's one NOT to watch, surely?!!

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Thu 23 Oct 2014, 8:27 pm

Have you seen his last couple of performances; fighting with more aggression and seemingly utilising his skill set a little better...test will come when he steps it up a bit obviously. But given the rave around Lara and the problems he had with him...don't think it's a stretch to imagine he could upset the apple cart along the line.

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 23 Oct 2014, 8:42 pm

Scott Quigg

Whistle

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 23 Oct 2014, 9:03 pm

John Bloody Wayne wrote:We should all go out of our way to make it a mainstream, international term.
Yes I concur.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down