The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roy Jones Jr vs ATG at middelweight/super middle

+17
Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake
captain carrantuohil
TopHat24/7
88Chris05
milkyboy
AdamT
hazharrison
hogey
catchweight
horizontalhero
SugarRayBray
Coxy001
.aveyard2.0
theanimal316
TRUSSMAN66
Hammersmith harrier
ONETWOFOREVER
21 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Roy Jones Jr vs ATG at middelweight/super middle - Page 3 Empty Roy Jones Jr vs ATG at middelweight/super middle

Post by AdamT Tue 18 Nov 2014, 10:31 am

First topic message reminder :

Simple topic Guys.

RJJ at the peak of his powers vs greats h2h at middle or super.

Who do you think could beat him and why?

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Roy Jones Jr vs ATG at middelweight/super middle - Page 3 Empty Re: Roy Jones Jr vs ATG at middelweight/super middle

Post by hogey Tue 22 Mar 2016, 2:46 pm

AdamT wrote:
hogey wrote:Beats pretty much everyone at middleweight for me except Robinson, Monzon, Leonard and Hearns and only Ward at Super Middleweight would have any chance of beating him.
For me RJJ is the best fighter the world has produced since Ray Leonard, he is even more a complete fighter than Floyd and Manny.  

How is he more complete than Floyd?? arguably a better athlete and had a better offense at his peak. But I would argue Floyd had the better all around skills.

He was faster, threw better combinations, hit harder, had better footwork and was p4p physically stronger. Floyd had better defence, reflexes and ring generalship. I think at his peak Jones was a better fighter than Floyd or almost anyone else who has ever put on a pair of gloves. His achievement of winning the heavyweight title is also a ridiculously underestimated feat, shame though as i think getting that heavy was the beginning of the end for him.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Roy Jones Jr vs ATG at middelweight/super middle - Page 3 Empty Re: Roy Jones Jr vs ATG at middelweight/super middle

Post by AdamT Tue 22 Mar 2016, 2:52 pm

Floyd had some great combinations. Just a bit reluctant to let his hands go because of injuries. Better footwork? Not sure about that. Jones was faster at his weight though.

Floyd didn't have better reflexes than a peak Jones. Probably similar. Both are freaks in that department. Floyd still has amazing reflexes, Jones lost his with age.

I would probably give Jones an edge in a mythical p4p match up at their peaks.

Jones did some things better, but I still think Floyd has more attributes overall. Floyd also has a better chin for sure.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Tue 22 Mar 2016, 3:10 pm

There was nothing wrong with Roy Jones chin either until he was over the hill, both great fighters and subjective as to who people think is better for me Jones is among the best of all time. Roy Jones main problem is he was so much better than everyone else he had to move up and down weights just to get big fights, when you look at him during his peak he is a fighter with no weaknesses who was sublime in all departments, frankly too good for his own good.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 22 Mar 2016, 3:40 pm

I wouldn't make any fighter at 160-68 favourite to beat Jones Jr. Was on another boxing site the other day, and many were saying Calzaghe would of beat him anytime. I didn't even bother replying. Laughable!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Tue 22 Mar 2016, 3:47 pm

Totally agree with you Adam, Calzaghe was a very good fighter, but RJJ was on a different level entirely i think even JC knew that himself.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 22 Mar 2016, 3:49 pm

I think Calzaghe was excellent, but not in Jones Jr Class.

Jones Jr vs Spinks at 175?

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Tue 22 Mar 2016, 3:58 pm

Another very difficult one to call but Spinks takes that for me, 4p4 Jones is the better fighter, but at 175lbs an all time great L/Heavy like Spinks will just have the edge i think he was just too good to lose to anyone who is not natural at the weight. Would be a hell of a fight though until Spinks extra natural size, power and strength took over would probably force a late stoppage. Would be a fantasy fight i would pay big money to see though.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 22 Mar 2016, 4:01 pm

Good answer. I would favour Spinks for sure. Probably because he is naturally the bigger guy.

I think it is similar to Mayweather vs Leonard at Welter. Floyd has the talent to be competitive, but with Leonards Offense and being bigger and stronger, would only be one winner.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Tue 22 Mar 2016, 9:06 pm

Spinks was a taller light heavyweight than than Jones, but probably not much in it weight wise. Jones was really career light heavyweight who could get down to lower divisions because of the extended weigh in and re-hydrate periods. As good his a fighter as he was, and I though he was excellent, his celebrated middleweight to heavyweight title achievement is one of the most misleading and overrated bits of boxiana going.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3