The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who will be the no. 1 outside half at Bath ?

+26
mckay1402
formerly known as Sam
George Carlin
doctor_grey
glamorganalun
Shifty
nathan
The Saint
Bathite
offload
Kingshu
bedfordwelsh
Rugby Fan
TightHEAD
Bathman_in_London
HongKongCherry
HammerofThunor
Allty
maestegmafia
LondonTiger
ScarletSpiderman
BamBam
No 7&1/2
geoff998rugby
Welly
LordDowlais
30 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Who will be the no. 1 outside half at Bath ? Empty Who will be the no. 1 outside half at Bath ?

Post by LordDowlais Tue 06 Jan 2015, 12:21 pm

Well, now that the worst kept secret in Wales has now been made official, what is going to happen at Bath ? I doubt that Rhys Preistland has gone to Bath to play second fiddle to Ford, so how do we see things going ?

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/30694432

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Who will be the no. 1 outside half at Bath ? Empty Re: Who will be the no. 1 outside half at Bath ?

Post by Welly Tue 06 Jan 2015, 12:24 pm

Like Mike ford would drop his son as 1st choice 10 when he is 1) playing well, 2) pushing for the England 10 shirt.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Who will be the no. 1 outside half at Bath ? Empty Re: Who will be the no. 1 outside half at Bath ?

Post by geoff998rugby Tue 06 Jan 2015, 12:25 pm

Pristland will be getting splinters in his backside - thats my prediction

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 06 Jan 2015, 12:26 pm

Then why would Preistland go there to play second fiddle to him ? The only advantage Ford has over Preistland is age, they are both very shakey no.10's.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue 06 Jan 2015, 12:31 pm

You will have to ask Pristland why he went there - money probably has something to do with it. Alternatively has he been told no Central Contract for him - as Anscombe and Biggar have them? Has he got the hump about that?
Just thinking out loud

By the same token Ford is not going to stay to be second fiddle - he is the current England No10, Priestland cannot say the same thing about Wales
For me Ford is the superior player already and the gap will widen as he matures

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 06 Jan 2015, 12:35 pm

geoff998rugby wrote: Alternatively has he been told no Central Contract for him - as Anscombe and Biggar have them? Has he got the hump about that?

Talk is that Biggar will not sign a DC, but he will sign an Ospreys contract, it could all be bull though as that is just terrace talk.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 06 Jan 2015, 12:40 pm

Priestland will cover when the internationals are on.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Tue 06 Jan 2015, 12:44 pm

Pecking order:
Ford

Priestland

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 06 Jan 2015, 12:47 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Priestland will cover when the internationals are on.

What if he is picked in the Welsh squad ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 06 Jan 2015, 12:49 pm

Bath will have mucked up their cover arrangements. Doubt he will be though as it'll be Biggar and the Kiwi now.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 06 Jan 2015, 12:51 pm

BamBam wrote:Pecking order:
Ford

Priestland

If that is the case, then why have Bath forked out so much to sign him ? If Ford is the next Johnny Wilkinson then why do they need a player who could be potetialy away for the same internationals as Ford ? Bath are supposedly already under investigation over their bulging wage bill, why spend more on another player who by everyone's opinion will hardley ever play ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 06 Jan 2015, 12:51 pm

Priest can play 15 too, he was ripping it up at fullback when he got called up to the welsh squad around the RWC time, and he returned to play there the RWC too (Steve Jones was the first choice fly half).

Also given it is a RWC year, and that Ford will be with England (and then maybe needing a bit of a rest), Priest could well get a good few games to prove to people what he can do.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 06 Jan 2015, 12:53 pm

Also, after watching the Leicester V Bath game on the weekend, I thought Ford was very average, but in his defence that is the first time I have watched him play for Bath, also the way he effed up the LBP right infront of the posts was very Priestlandesque of him.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 06 Jan 2015, 12:56 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Priest can play 15 too

SS, I very,very much doubt he has gone to Bath to play at fullback.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 06 Jan 2015, 1:09 pm

Who says Bath have forked out a huge amount?

With Henson and Arscott leaving they need cover at 10 and 15 - something Priestland fits quite nicely.

To me it looks like Priestland is desperate to leave Wales, rather then Bath have aggressively enticed him.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 06 Jan 2015, 1:11 pm

Probably similar to Tigers, Priestland will get an opportunity and then be prefered to the rookie.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Allty Tue 06 Jan 2015, 1:14 pm

[quote="LondonTiger"]Who says Bath have forked out a huge amount?

With Henson and Arscott leaving they need cover at 10 and 15 - something Priestland fits quite nicely.

To me it looks like Priestland is desperate to leave Wales, rather then Bath have aggressively enticed him.[/quote]

Where is Henson off to?

Allty

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 06 Jan 2015, 1:15 pm

Inside centre ahead or Burgess you mean maes! In all seriousness he's not going to seriously challenge Ford at fly half.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 06 Jan 2015, 1:19 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Probably similar to Tigers, Priestland will get an opportunity and then be prefered to the rookie.

When did Priestland play for Tigers? Or do you mean similar with Burns and Williams? If so, what on Earth are you talking about? For Leicester Williams was the established player and Burns has yet to settle in his first season. And Burns was an established first choice 10 and more experienced than Williams.  So if similar to Tigers, Priestland will take a while to settle and be outshone by the younger, settled player.

If you not comparing with Burns and Williams, please explain because I have no idea what you're talking about.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Tue 06 Jan 2015, 1:24 pm

It is surprising he wasn't linked to Wasps given they are looking for a front line FH and he so nearly joined them last season. Or did he burn his bridges? He won't have come cheap unless his wage demands have drastically dropped from last year. It does seem very strange for both club and player to make this move. FH is such an integral role you need continuity and if they chop and change, as Saints found out in recent years, the whole attacking shape changes and cannot build any momentum. More likely Ford will be clear first choice and Priestland at the ripe old age of 27 has consigned himself to warming the bench.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Tue 06 Jan 2015, 1:28 pm

Grand slam winner to LV cup player, it will be a bit of a comedown for him.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 06 Jan 2015, 1:41 pm

So was last Sundays game against Leceister a one off bad game for Ford ? Or does he, like Preistland, have an issue with confidence when things are not going well ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue 06 Jan 2015, 1:45 pm

LordDowlais wrote:So was last Sundays game against Leceister a one off bad game for Ford ? Or does he, like Preistland, have an issue with confidence when things are not going well ?
Yes worst game of the season so far - I have watched him just about everytime he has been on TV.
The whole team didn't turn up.

Pristland wont be first choice 12 either with Eastmond, Devoto(sp?) and Burgess there

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Tue 06 Jan 2015, 1:46 pm

Priestland @ 15 maybe Watson on the wing?

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Tue 06 Jan 2015, 1:52 pm

Strange move by Bath and Rhys to be honest.

TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue 06 Jan 2015, 1:53 pm

Welly wrote:Priestland @ 15 maybe Watson on the wing?

More likely but then again wing is well stocked as well - Banahan, Agulla, Rokoduguni, Woodburn

Bath are very well placed in the 10 to 15 department

Devoto, Ollie
Ford, George
Burgess, Sam
Eastmond, Kyle
Henson, Gavin
Joseph, Jonathan
Williams, Ben
Banahan, Matt
Agulla, Horacio
Rokoduguni, Semesa
Woodburn, Olly
Arscott, Luke
Watson, Anthony

impressive

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Tue 06 Jan 2015, 1:56 pm

Players get injured. If Bath have serious ambitions to compete in all major club tournaments, they might find a time when they need that depth.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue 06 Jan 2015, 2:03 pm

Totally agree but looking at the list Priestland doesn't look like a starter to me

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Tue 06 Jan 2015, 2:05 pm

Burgess won't be in the backs next season (My 2 cents).

Also Henson and Arscott are believed to be off.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 06 Jan 2015, 2:05 pm

For what its worth here's my tuppence worth.

1, I think he is going for a few reasons: money, a bit of the hump about not getting a DC maybe and also to get out of the goldfish bowl and away from some of the abuse he has had recently.

2, Initially I think he will be 2nd fiddle BUT and yes its a big BUT if he can regain and keep his confidence up at its highest level then he is certainly capable of challenging Ford for the starting spot.

If that happens and he is at least posing a serious challenge to Ford or even get to dis-place him then that can only be good for Wales.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Tue 06 Jan 2015, 2:09 pm

What will Scarlets do?
Is Josh Lewis any good? ready to step up?
will Steven Shingler be the first choice OH?

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 06 Jan 2015, 2:14 pm

Kingshu wrote:What will Scarlets do?

There are a few options out there, I think Matthew Morgan's contract is up after the WC, or they would get in a NWQ player. But in hindsight, Shingler is not a bad player to have to replace Preistland with, it could be his time to shine.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Tue 06 Jan 2015, 2:17 pm

Maybe
 Preistland (Scarlets) -----> Bath
 Henson (Bath) -----> Bristol
 Morgan (Bristol) ----> Scarlets.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 06 Jan 2015, 2:24 pm

LordDowlais wrote:So was last Sundays game against Leceister a one off bad game for Ford ? Or does he, like Preistland, have an issue with confidence when things are not going well ?

Only time I have seen Biggar play for Ospreys was against Saints - when him and the team had a shocker. However I am not willing to read too much into one poor display - from Biggar or Ford. Priestland however has (except for against Northamptonb) looked poor every time I have seen him in the last few years.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 06 Jan 2015, 2:24 pm

Morgan would be a good signing but with Shingler already there may they not just give him a run first before signing anyone.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 06 Jan 2015, 2:30 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
Kingshu wrote:What will Scarlets do?

There are a few options out there, I think Matthew Morgan's contract is up after the WC, or they would get in a NWQ player. But in hindsight, Shingler is not a bad player to have to replace Preistland with, it could be his time to shine.

The chatter is that Pivac is already in talks with some contacts down in New Zealand, and we are talking to some players there. Personally I think we would be ok (stay at a similar level to where we are) if we just kept hold of Shingler and used Josh Lewis as his back up. However, if we want to push on, which surely we do, then the only way to do so is to bring in another 'proven' fly half. We don't need or want Morgan, as we have Jordan with us already, and he is deemed to defensively weak, so no chance Nipper will be seen as a better option.

I think Priest may silence a few of his doubters, he is starting to put in some really good performances, and totally outshone Biggar this weekend.

ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 06 Jan 2015, 2:33 pm

SS,

Is there any truth in the Goode rumour if so how you feel about it. For me it would seem a wrong move especially as like you said you have Shingler, Williams and Leiws there.

Or would Goode becoming as a coach type which in that case it might work.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Tue 06 Jan 2015, 2:37 pm

I also think it's a strange move. Ford imo is the best FH in England (Nick Evans aside) and has the potential to be one of the best ever. He's been in great form for Bath (didn't have his best game last weekend, but neither did the rest of the team).

Can't see Priestland keeping Ford out!
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 06 Jan 2015, 2:42 pm

Goode would be a good signing, after all injuries happen. But to be honest I am happy to stick it out with who we have, after all these lads will only improve if actually use them.

Interesting reading elsewhere (from a former in the know poster on here), the talk of the Gats Law kicking in, will not effect Priest. There are meant to be a few different loopholes in it, and one of those is to do with years service to the regions, and Rhys has served enough time already to make him exempt. If this is true (and I don't doubt the poster who said it at all) then that would shine a whole new light of Rhys' decision, as it would be moving to get more competition/challenge, rather than looking for his retirement fund.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 06 Jan 2015, 2:45 pm

Plus don't forget he isn't signing until after the WC so will still have all this season, 6 Nations and WC warm up games to stake his claim.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 06 Jan 2015, 2:54 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:Plus don't forget he isn't signing until after the WC so will still have all this season, 6 Nations and WC warm up games to stake his claim.

Too ture. Given his current form, he will be in the 6Ns squad. And lets be honest, one miss kick from Biggar at an important point in the game against England, and Priest could well be the first choice again.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 06 Jan 2015, 2:56 pm

SS,

Has he ever or is he now even, in touch with any sports psychologist type people. For me it seems his biggest problem is his confidence and when that takes a bit of a knock it really does badly affect his all round game.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 06 Jan 2015, 3:04 pm

I think he admitted to seeing a shrink around in '12, around the time as he was interviewed after the NZ game and said he kept trying to kick the ball onto the NZ 5m line because that was the tactic Gats wanted.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 06 Jan 2015, 4:00 pm

Well, I think what I have read on another thread is a little bizarre. Apparently Preistland will be on 300k per year at Bath, no wonder he is off if that is true, are Bath going to pay this money for somebody to warm the bench ? I very much doubt it, that is marquee player territory.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Tue 06 Jan 2015, 4:24 pm

I doubt very much he's on £300k, i'd love to know where that number has come from

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Tue 06 Jan 2015, 4:50 pm

Its Bath and Bruce Craig we're talking about, so its a £1 salary on the books

plus on the side a new house costing £299.999 Wink
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 06 Jan 2015, 4:54 pm

TightHEAD wrote:Its Bath and Bruce Craig we're talking about,  so its a £1 salary on the books

plus on the side a new house costing £299.999 Wink

Laugh

I bet his contract has in it, player, scout and member of the board so he gets three salaries at 100k each. Oh, and a car for running around in, and money for advertising on his car.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Tue 06 Jan 2015, 4:57 pm

Probably their current one, which is obvious... Priestland will be 3rd or 4th choice. Send Henson back to Wales please.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Tue 06 Jan 2015, 4:59 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Probably similar to Tigers, Priestland will get an opportunity and then be prefered to the rookie.

Statements like this make the English laugh at you.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Tue 06 Jan 2015, 5:03 pm

LondonTiger wrote:

Only time I have seen Biggar play for Ospreys was against Saints - when him and the team had a shocker. However I am not willing to read too much into one poor display - from Biggar or Ford. Priestland however has (except for against Northamptonb) looked poor every time I have seen him in the last few years.

Can you explain this to Jiffy, Jiffy's mates and some idiots on here. Whenever I say it I get accusations thrown at me, and what we both say about Priestland is true.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next