The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who will be the no. 1 outside half at Bath ?

+26
mckay1402
formerly known as Sam
George Carlin
doctor_grey
glamorganalun
Shifty
nathan
The Saint
Bathite
offload
Kingshu
bedfordwelsh
Rugby Fan
TightHEAD
Bathman_in_London
HongKongCherry
HammerofThunor
Allty
maestegmafia
LondonTiger
ScarletSpiderman
BamBam
No 7&1/2
geoff998rugby
Welly
LordDowlais
30 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Who will be the no. 1 outside half at Bath ? - Page 3 Empty Who will be the no. 1 outside half at Bath ?

Post by LordDowlais Tue 06 Jan 2015, 12:21 pm

First topic message reminder :

Well, now that the worst kept secret in Wales has now been made official, what is going to happen at Bath ? I doubt that Rhys Preistland has gone to Bath to play second fiddle to Ford, so how do we see things going ?

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/30694432

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Who will be the no. 1 outside half at Bath ? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who will be the no. 1 outside half at Bath ?

Post by The Saint Wed 07 Jan 2015, 12:29 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
Sgt_Pooly wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:Anyway, when you look what the international DC players in Wales are on, Warburton, Lydiate, they are both on 200k+ so he must be on something north of that, which is very expensive for a bench warmer.

Why must it be north of that?

Because I doubt he would move to Bath for less money. Smile

Yeah he wouldn't. So he'll be on more than he was on at Scarlets. He wasn't even on a DC so I don't know why you're comparing it to that figure. I reckon his salary at Bath would be £150-200,000.

Ford is the England fly-half and he's in great form. Why anyone thinks he'll be displaced by RP, I do not know.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Who will be the no. 1 outside half at Bath ? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who will be the no. 1 outside half at Bath ?

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed 07 Jan 2015, 12:30 pm

Totally agree Saint on both points, I can't see him being on close to £250k never mind £300k.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 07 Jan 2015, 12:41 pm

I do not think he will displace Ford, I am just questioning why Bath RFC would pay so much money for a player who is not as good as what they have, he will probably be going for more money, I do not know what his contract at Scarlets was, but I do know he signed an extension to it eight eight months ago so he must have been given more money, and with two other players from the Scarlets getting a DC there must have been more money to offer him from the region itself, I would say that the 300k figure is probably unreal, but I would bet he is on 200k+.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 07 Jan 2015, 12:55 pm

There's a good chance Ford will be missing for at least 13 weeks a year. Add in injuries and trying to rest players without too big a drop in quality he makes perfect sense. Bath are building a squad of players not just a first 15. £200k would be much more reasonable.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 07 Jan 2015, 1:02 pm

Scratch that, I have just read that Bath are paying Sam Burgess 500k a year, so the 300k a year Preistland is supposedly getting is chicken feed. If Bath are throwing this tyoe of money around on an untested league convert, I would think they are giving Preistland 300k a year as well.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 07 Jan 2015, 1:07 pm

Burgess will be the marquee signing. Lowe will be the other. Priestland has to fit in the cap (in theory). Craig could pay him shed loads more than that if he wanted but he's still got to fit it in the cap. That's the issue.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Wed 07 Jan 2015, 1:57 pm

Burgess isn't on 500k that's rubbish. It might be 500 Australian dollars that is confusing you

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed 07 Jan 2015, 2:07 pm

Wasn't it a 500k buy out?

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 07 Jan 2015, 2:14 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Scratch that, I have just read that Bath are paying Sam Burgess 500k a year, so the 300k a year Preistland is supposedly getting is chicken feed. If Bath are throwing this tyoe of money around on an untested league convert, I would think they are giving Preistland 300k a year as well.

Nah, the £500k mentioned in the past for Sam covers the transfer fee and salary for 2014/15 season (ie the expenditure that is applicable against the 14/15 cap). The exact split has never been released but estimates on the transfer fee portion have varied from £280k to £400k.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Wed 07 Jan 2015, 2:20 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:There's a good chance Ford will be missing for at least 13 weeks a year.  Add in injuries and trying to rest players without too big a drop in quality he makes perfect sense. Bath are building a squad of players not just a first 15. £200k would be much more reasonable.

Agreed.

Someone posted a list of Bath's current backs further up the thread, and it shows that they have great depth in almost every position other than the halfbacks.

It was strongly rumoured that Genia was due to be a signing for next year but that is apparently off now, so if they had a substantial sum earmarked for the half backs, it stands to reason that they would be willing to pay Priestland a chunk. But I still wouldn't expect them to pay 300k, Craig might be an annoying git but he's a good businessman!

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Wed 07 Jan 2015, 2:28 pm

He's moved to get out of the goldfish bowl , cess-pit that is Welsh fans and social media.
From an Osprey fan, good luck Rhys.
Remember,Critics are like eunuchs in a harem: they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 07 Jan 2015, 2:56 pm

Are the Telegraph an unreliable source as well now then like other sources I have given on this debate, they are saying that Sam Burgess will be set to command an annual salary of £500,000, making him the highest paid player in the Aviva Premiership.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/england/10645003/England-coach-Stuart-Lancaster-backs-Sam-Burgess-to-challenge-for-World-Cup-squad.html

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed 07 Jan 2015, 3:00 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Are the Telegraph an unreliable source as well now then like other sources I have given on this debate, they are saying that Sam Burgess will be set to command an annual salary of £500,000, making him the highest paid player in the Aviva Premiership.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/england/10645003/England-coach-Stuart-Lancaster-backs-Sam-Burgess-to-challenge-for-World-Cup-squad.html

Is any newspapers a reliable source? How would we know what he's getting paid unless it was released by the player or club?

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Wed 07 Jan 2015, 3:02 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Are the Telegraph an unreliable source as well now then like other sources I have given on this debate, they are saying that Sam Burgess will be set to command an annual salary of £500,000, making him the highest paid player in the Aviva Premiership.

It says he's expected to get £500k, that doesn't mean he gets that. Basically it's newspaper talk for "we're trying to make our unsubstantiated rumor sound like it's a dead cert"

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 07 Jan 2015, 3:06 pm

Well every source I have put on here according to you lot is "paper talk" yet I am yet to see anything from anyone of you to give something concrete other than what you think as to say otherwise, so until then I will believe what professionals are saying not what people on here say, mind you saying that, most of you on here all think you know more than the pro's. Rolling Eyes

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed 07 Jan 2015, 3:11 pm

Do you believe everything in the papers LD?

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Wed 07 Jan 2015, 3:12 pm

LordDowlais wrote:I do not think he will displace Ford, I am just questioning why Bath RFC would pay so much money for a player who is not as good as what they have, he will probably be going for more money, I do not know what his contract at Scarlets was, but I do know he signed an extension to it eight eight months ago so he must have been given more money, and with two other players from the Scarlets getting a DC there must have been more money to offer him from the region itself, I would say that the 300k figure is probably unreal, but I would bet he is on 200k+.

Perhaps you're asking the wrong type of questions. Bath, Sarries and French teams can afford to spend this much on players. You need a good squad to win trophies, not just a strong 23. I guess they see Priestland as an experienced fly-half who can fit into their squad one way or another. I'd be surprised if he will be on more than 200k, he isn't worth it. You're either delusional or on a bad WUM to keep posting these comments.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Wed 07 Jan 2015, 3:15 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:Do you believe everything in the papers LD?

Obviously, if these professional spinners say it then it must be true. Burgess reportedly on 500k must mean Priestland is on 300k fact - sound logic.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 07 Jan 2015, 3:18 pm

The Saint wrote:You're either delusional or on a bad WUM to keep posting these comments.

Saint you do not have a good thing to say about anybody, so your comments mean nothing to me, I am only posting on here what I am reading in the mainstream media, just because you do not think Priestland is not worth200k plus a week, it does not mean that Bath share your point of veiw. I just think it is strange that a player who was top dog at his region and was loved by the Scarlets faithfull, would go to another club to play second fiddle, the only reason why I would see him go is for the money, and if that is the case it must have been more than what he is on at the Scarlets which for a player of is status within the WRU setup must be around the 200k circa. thumbsup

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Wed 07 Jan 2015, 3:21 pm

LD wrote:it does not mean that Bath share your point of veiw. I just think it is strange that a player who was top dog at his region and was loved by the Scarlets faithfull, would go to another club to play second fiddle,

I know. But I think they're smarter than me, so I know they wouldn't pay that much for a very erratic player who has failed to put in consistent performances since 2013. Top dog? Subjective, especially considering his erratic play. The only time Scarlets have controlled a game in the backs is when Shingler was also on the field.

LD wrote: the only reason why I would see him go is for the money, and if that is the case it must have been more than what he is on at the Scarlets which for a player of is status within the WRU setup must be around the 200k circa.

Yeah, as been said it is highly likely he went for more money. Just not as much as you think. Can we assume he was on 120-150k at Scarlets? If he had that high a status he would be on a DC. But the WRU like me, realise his days for Wales are over.

Last edited by The Saint on Wed 07 Jan 2015, 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 07 Jan 2015, 3:24 pm

The Saint wrote:

Obviously, if these professional spinners say it then it must be true. Burgess reportedly on 500k must mean Priestland is on 300k fact - sound logic.

Actually the Telegraph said that Burgess was on 500k a season and the Express said that Preistland would be on 300k a season, I never said any of them were facts, it's just I would rather think that the people who write for these papers are more clued up than people on here, and whilst those figures might not be accurate, I would suggest they are closer than what people are saying on here.

Last edited by LordDowlais on Wed 07 Jan 2015, 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Wed 07 Jan 2015, 3:27 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
The Saint wrote:

Actually the Telegraph said that Burgess was on 500k a week and the Express said that Preistland would be on 300k a week, I never said any of them were facts, it's just I would rather think that the people who write for these papers are more clued up than people on here, and whilst those figures might not be accurate, I would suggest they are closer than what people are saying on here.

Yeah and you fell for it. The media is anything but clued up, LD.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 07 Jan 2015, 3:36 pm

The Saint wrote:But what about the rest of my comments

What other comments ?

If it is about Ford being better than Priestland, then I agree with you. But just do me a favour, do not call me daft again. OK

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 07 Jan 2015, 3:37 pm

The Saint wrote:The media is anything but clued up, LD.

And you are the font of knowledge I take it.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed 07 Jan 2015, 3:51 pm

I just see the point in arguing over speculation.

We don't know what they're getting paid and the media certainly don't. We're debating over Priestland getting a large raise when we:

1. Don't know what he is currently on
2. Don't know what he's going to be on
3. Don't know if he's actually getting a raise

All we know is he's on the move.......

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 07 Jan 2015, 3:52 pm

The only thing I believe in newspapers is that with quotation marks (and I mean "quotes" not 'quotes'). Anything that says, suchandsuch said that he blah blah, I don't believe. Anything that says, suchandsuch said 'blah blah', I don't believe. Why? Because time and time and time again it's turned out to be twisting of the facts or deliberate misrepresentation. Even with actual quotes I take on board there is probably some context that is missing. Other than that I don't care what is written in the papers, be it sport or anything else. They have absolutely zero credibility left as far as I'm concerned.

So unless someone publishes something like [a Bath insider said "Burgess is on £500k a year and Priestland is on £300k a year"], then I don't know.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 07 Jan 2015, 4:03 pm

LordDowlais wrote:

Actually the Telegraph said that Burgess was on 500k a week and the Express said that Preistland would be on 300k a week, I never said any of them were facts, it's just I would rather think that the people who write for these papers are more clued up than people on here, and whilst those figures might not be accurate, I would suggest they are closer than what people are saying on here.

You know people are being overpaid when their salaries are quoted per week.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 07 Jan 2015, 4:09 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

You know people are being overpaid when their salaries are quoted per week.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26246939

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 07 Jan 2015, 4:10 pm

LondonTiger wrote:You know people are being overpaid when their salaries are quoted per week.

I meant per season. Doh

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 07 Jan 2015, 4:13 pm

The Saint wrote:Top dog? Subjective, especially considering his erratic play. The only time Scarlets have controlled a game in the backs is when Shingler was also on the field.

Well he is first choice, Shingler hardley gets a look in.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 07 Jan 2015, 4:15 pm

The Saint wrote:Yeah, as been said it is highly likely he went for more money. Just not as much as you think. Can we assume he was on 120-150k at Scarlets? If he had that high a status he would be on a DC. But the WRU like me, realise his days for Wales are over.

So even if he is on a few more quid than the 150k he gets at the Scarlets, lets say 200k, that is still a lot of money for a bench warmer.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 07 Jan 2015, 4:30 pm

Bath's ambition is to have two fully interchangeable XVs and be seriously competetive in ERCC next season. Currently they look light of this in the second row (hence the failed bids for Lawes and Launchbury) and at 10.

Now with Biggar the first choice, Anscombe supposedly getting a DC, Owen Williams reputedly being courted for a DC prior to re-signing for Tigers - thye possible inference is Priestland is now 4th choice. Thus you can see why Bath are interested. Add in the abuse Priestland gets in Wales you can see why he may be moving for no increase in salary.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 07 Jan 2015, 4:34 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Add in the abuse Priestland gets in Wales you can see why he may be moving for no increase in salary.

He does get a lot abuse in Wales,some of it just, and some of it unjust, but over in the west of Wales they all love him and defend him to the hilt. So if you are anywhere east of Carmarthenshire, then you can say what you like, anything the other side of that and you will be lucky to get away with your life. Shocked

Last edited by LordDowlais on Wed 07 Jan 2015, 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Wed 07 Jan 2015, 4:39 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Bath's ambition is to have two fully interchangeable XVs and be seriously competetive in ERCC next season. Currently they look light of this in the second row (hence the failed bids for Lawes and Launchbury) and at 10.

They aren't far off, thinking about it for next season

1. Auterac - Catt
2. Webber - Batty
3. Wilson - Thomas
4. Hooper - Day
5. Attwood - ?
6. Garvey - Sisi
7. Louw - Mercer
8. Houston - Fearns
9. Matawalu - Cook
10. Ford - Priestland
11. Aguila - Banahan
12. Eastmond - Burgess
13. Joseph - Devoto
14. Rokodunguni - ?
15. Watson - Arscott

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed 07 Jan 2015, 4:48 pm

An impressive squad....

The rise of Auterac has been mightily impressive. From 4/5th choice at Sarries to keeping James/Catt out of the team is some going. He is one hell of a big fella mind, I guess it's just harnessing that power into technique.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Wed 07 Jan 2015, 6:02 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Bath's ambition is to have two fully interchangeable XVs and be seriously competetive in ERCC next season. Currently they look light of this in the second row (hence the failed bids for Lawes and Launchbury) and at 10.

Now with Biggar the first choice, Anscombe supposedly getting a DC, Owen Williams reputedly being courted for a DC prior to re-signing for Tigers - thye possible inference is Priestland is now 4th choice. Thus you can see why Bath are interested. Add in the abuse Priestland gets in Wales you can see why he may be moving for no increase in salary.
Currently we only have Henson and devoto as back up options for 10. Neither are regular 10s nor goal kickers. If Ford gets injured we would be stuffed and from now on it looks like we will lose him to England most of the time. Devoto is actually our first centre cover already.  

Sarries have Hodgson and Farrell

Tigers have Burns and Williams 

Quins have Evnas and Botica and Swiel

Saints have Myler and now Hanrahan

Wasps have Jackson and Goode. 

So all the big boys have two good options at 10, bath are just doing the same. Yes Priestland is high profile and probably more expensive than the other back ups at other clubs but there's also options fo him to play 15, as arscott and maybe Henson. And as someone else has stated there was indeed a pre contract agreement with genia which STADE are buying as out of, which frees up some cash for another halfback as matawalu was certainy not genia price

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Wed 07 Jan 2015, 6:06 pm

Auterac has been brilliant pooly. Find of the season. Hatley has done a real job on Thomas and him. 

On that squad depth point, hooper might retire and there's a space at lock which Garvey is rumoured to fill, giving a backfill space for new back row, especially if Fearns leaves. Hence why Vermuelen / Kaino is mooted

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 07 Jan 2015, 6:26 pm

Auterac seems to be built like a tank and is only 22. He could develop into a serious weapon.

Didn't Arscott only sign for a year at Bath? Hence the Homer rumours.

Re the second row don't they have an impressive prospect coming through?

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Wed 07 Jan 2015, 6:31 pm

Auterac apparently strongest player in the squad in the gym. At 22! 

You're right about second row prospects, we've got Ewels who played against Tpulouse this year and was great, as well as Ellis and Spencer. First two have both been U20s int and look promising but Soencer has been injured for a long time and considered a prop spect or a few seasons now but must be about 24 now

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 07 Jan 2015, 7:37 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:Add in the abuse Priestland gets in Wales you can see why he may be moving for no increase in salary.

He does get a lot abuse in Wales,some of it just, and some of it unjust, but over in the west of Wales they all love him and defend him to the hilt. So if you are anywhere east of Carmarthenshire, then you can say what you like, anything the other side of that and you will be lucky to get away with your life. Shocked

Just abuse? I'd suggest it isn't abuse, if it's just.

Also, I am far from convinced that Priestland suffered a load of abuse. I bet it's just the Western Wail just exaggerating again, much like they did when they wrote about Warburton suffering lots of abuse on twitter upon signing a central contract, when all that seemingly happened was one or two calling him (indirectly too I believe) a scab.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Wed 07 Jan 2015, 8:10 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
The Saint wrote:Top dog? Subjective, especially considering his erratic play. The only time Scarlets have controlled a game in the backs is when Shingler was also on the field.

Well he is first choice, Shingler hardley gets a look in.

Yeah, and that's strange given his erratic form. They have had to hall him off a couple times for Shingler, or put Shingler at 12. Each time that has happened the team has improved. I wouldn't exactly go calling him great just because he may be considered first choice at Scarlets. Look at all the game time Aled Davies is getting at 9... Look at how often Knoyle was starting at 9 when he was there... They can be a good team but they certainly make their fair share of odd selections. I think with some of proposed and supposed signings they'll be a better squad next season.

LordDowlais wrote:
The Saint wrote:Yeah, as been said it is highly likely he went for more money. Just not as much as you think. Can we assume he was on 120-150k at Scarlets? If he had that high a status he would be on a DC. But the WRU like me, realise his days for Wales are over.

So even if he is on a few more quid than the 150k he gets at the Scarlets, lets say 200k, that is still a lot of money for a bench warmer.

Yeah it is. But like I said, clubs need a good squad of players. Priest is experienced, more-so than Ford and can provide cover at 10 and 15, so Bath must see this as a good acquisition. It'll be interesting to see how he performs for Bath. This also isn't the first time a player has gone to another team and simultaneously been on good money and the bench.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sun 11 Jan 2015, 1:08 am

Ford's dad is coach. Easy question
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3