The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland v England - Match Thread

+92
MarcusHalberstram
John Cregan
jbeadlesbigrighthand
JDizzle
formerly known as Sam
Steve_rugby
wolfball
LeinsterFan4life
Sgt_Pooly
Golden
Heaf
nobbled
Duty281
mystiroakey
boomeranga
Engine#4
Hood83
westisbest
Tiger/Chief
Cumbrian
Alex_Germany
Mickado
hugehandoff
GoodinTightSpaces
MunsterMac
No9
EnglishReign
MichaelT
asoreleftshoulder
bluestonevedder
sad_gimp
HammerofThunor
TrailApe
kunu
Stewie15
TheRugbyMaster
the-goon
Gooseberry
theslosty
BigTrevsbigmac
Breadvan
ME-109
Marshes
funnyExiledScot
Barney McGrew did it
TightHEAD
geoff999rugby
nathan
Rory_Gallagher
Nachos Jones
toml
profitius
FecklessRogue
Pot Hale
Steffan
Cowshot
yappysnap
dummy_half
doctor_grey
The Great Aukster
LondonTiger
Cyril
thebandwagonsociety
king_carlos
rodders
Sin é
sickofwendy
wrfc1980
Rugby Fan
thomh
MissBlennerhassett
No 7&1/2
beshocked
robbo277
majesticimperialman
bedfordwelsh
Gwlad
quinsforever
The Fourth Lion
BamBam
Submachine
Poorfour
lostinwales
Geordie
fa0019
gregortree
SecretFly
Notch
stub
captain carrantuohil
WELL-PAST-IT
GunsGerms
96 posters

Page 2 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next

Go down

Who is going to win

Ireland v England - Match Thread - Page 2 Vote_lcap64%Ireland v England - Match Thread - Page 2 Vote_rcap 64% 
[ 54 ]
Ireland v England - Match Thread - Page 2 Vote_lcap33%Ireland v England - Match Thread - Page 2 Vote_rcap 33% 
[ 28 ]
Ireland v England - Match Thread - Page 2 Vote_lcap2%Ireland v England - Match Thread - Page 2 Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 84

Poll closed

Ireland v England - Match Thread - Page 2 Empty Ireland v England - Match Thread

Post by GunsGerms Mon 16 Feb 2015, 2:23 pm

First topic message reminder :

I know I am two weeks early but Ireland v England on Sunday 1st March will possibly be the 6 nations decider as both teams are the only two teams still undefeated in the 6 nations so far this year.

There are many different angles, plots and sub plots to this game. Here are some of the many things at stake:

Reaburn Shield:

Ireland have held it for 4 consecutive games having defeated previous holders SA in November.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raeburn_Shield

3rd place in rankings:

Ireland v England - Match Thread - Page 2 Rating10

Triple Crown:

Only Ireland and England can still win this trophy and with due respect to Scotland and Wales who Ireland have yet to play to win it would be some achievement this year.

Grand Slam:

Only Ireland and England and win the slam.

6 nations title:
Obviously France and Wales are still in the running with only one loss but the bookies have Ireland and England as favorites at this point.

Millennium Trophy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium_Trophy

Eye on the WC:
The earliest Ireland and England could possibly meet at the WC is the Semi finals if they both win their pools and their quarter finals or both come runner up and win their quarters. Either way I think other fixtures such England v Wales and Ireland v France were more important for each nations WC preparations.

Ireland need one more win to tie their record of 10 sucessive wins.

Head to head record:
Overall: England 74 wins Ireland 46 wins
6Nations: England 7 wins Ireland 8 wins

Who is going to win and why?
http://www.espn.co.uk/six-nations-2015/rugby/story/256583.html
Phil Vickery predicts an England win.

Teams:

England:

Ireland:

Last edited by GunsGerms on Fri 27 Feb 2015, 2:10 pm; edited 6 times in total

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Ireland v England - Match Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Ireland v England - Match Thread

Post by majesticimperialman Mon 16 Feb 2015, 7:52 pm

Ireland have a settled team or as mutch a settled team  just like Wales do. England still have a thrown together team, what with some of their first choice players missing and yet are winning games.

I am not saying that Ireland will be a push over by any means...I am just saying that i would not write England off too easily.

I was not aware that the game was in Ireland to be honest i thought it was at twickers.
With the game being in Ireland it will make Ireland Favourites......Then again Wales was favourites when we played in the Millennium.

I still think it is toooooooo close to call to be honest.....I think this game will go a similar way to the Wales game. Finger tips biting all the way. Rolling Eyes

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Ireland v England - Match Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Ireland v England - Match Thread

Post by robbo277 Mon 16 Feb 2015, 8:37 pm

That's the beauty about the Six Nations. There's no losing bonus point. There's no return fixture in two weeks at Twickenham. This is winner take all for these two teams.

If England win, I can't see Ireland winning the Six Nations, not unless England lose the last two and Ireland win both theirs. Even a 3 point win would give England an 11 point margin over Ireland were England to lose 1, and I think Ireland would struggle to make that up with two away trips.

If Ireland win then it's all in their hands. Two tough away trips to come but both winnable and they'll know even the narrowest of margins will do, as it did against France on the final weekend last year.

It's not over for Wales or France, (it will be for the loser) but the winner will have to win both their remaining games, rack up a good points difference against Italy and maybe also rely on a favour from someone else.

Two massive games on the weekend, but the winner of Ireland/England becomes huge favourite.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 17 Feb 2015, 9:38 am

robbo277 wrote:That's the beauty about the Six Nations. There's no losing bonus point. There's no return fixture in two weeks at Twickenham. This is winner take all for these two teams.

If England win, I can't see Ireland winning the Six Nations, not unless England lose the last two and Ireland win both theirs. Even a 3 point win would give England an 11 point margin over Ireland were England to lose 1, and I think Ireland would struggle to make that up with two away trips.

If Ireland win then it's all in their hands. Two tough away trips to come but both winnable and they'll know even the narrowest of margins will do, as it did against France on the final weekend last year.

It's not over for Wales or France, (it will be for the loser) but the winner will have to win both their remaining games, rack up a good points difference against Italy and maybe also rely on a favour from someone else.

Two massive games on the weekend, but the winner of Ireland/England becomes huge favourite.

To close the gap on an 11 point margin England only have to lose a game by 5 and Ireland win one by 6 or some combination of 11. 11 point points difference isnt really that much at all. England beat Italy by 30 points ireland beat them by 23. Not that big a difference really.

However, I would agree that Ireland will need to beat England or they will more than likely cruise to the slam.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 17 Feb 2015, 12:05 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:
fa0019 wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:It wont matter...judging by the rubbish being slung at Johnny May all Ireland have to do is target him and the game is theirs...

You honestly happy with him mind?

You don't think a chap like Yarde would best him? Not only would I back Yarde in a footrace, he has more bulk and suits England's game plan more. England don't produce many overlaps enough for finishers. Yarde for me suits them better.

1 good try and then countless screw ups and lost opportunities isn't a great record to be fair.

He's not the finished article and he didn't have his best. But some of the stuff coming out about him is cr@p.

We've been going through wingers for fun recently...we have one here who just needs time and patience to bring the best out.

Yarde is good but WAY off that top form.
Wade for all his attacking ability is even more defensively dodgy at Prem level than people are making out that May is at International level.
Ashton is an appalling tackler - ironic that they would swap him for May.

May can tackle very well...he can take the high ball and can create tries...he's not just fast.

But we'll see.

Certainly the next game will test him massively.

Geordiefalcon you're generally a very good reasonable poster but you're wrong about May.

You talk about time and patience - how long do we give him? May has had over 10 games to put his case across. I would love it if May was as good as you made out - if he was I would have no case.

If other wingers had made the errors that May has they would be criticised harshly - not treated as an untouchable deity. He does do the odd good thing but you would think from the hype that surrounds him that he's one of the best wingers in the world.

I don't think Ashton is any worse a defender than May. Also Ashton is a much more intelligent winger - he doesn't have May's raw pace but runs far superior support lines and can pass the ball very well. He's also a superior finisher. Plus he's actually in good form.

May is popular because he scored a try vs New Zealand - he's been dining on that ever since.

Ashton does that and no one bats an eyelid.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Tue 17 Feb 2015, 12:08 pm

But for England, all of Ashton's intelligence and support lines and superior finishing counted for diddly squat in the last 2 years

And at least May would run at his player to try to tackle them rather than running away

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 17 Feb 2015, 12:14 pm

BamBam wrote:But for England, all of Ashton's intelligence and support lines and superior finishing counted for diddly squat in the last 2 years

And at least May would run at his player to try to tackle them rather than running away

Someone should take Ashton to one side...like Father Ted with Dougal.

"Now Splash.  This is how it goes.  When you HAVE the ball, you run away.  When you HAVEN'T the ball, you run towards.  Have the ball, run away.  Haven't the ball, run towards"

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 17 Feb 2015, 12:18 pm

May is better in the air, faster, beats players and makes more ground. Both their defence is so so. I don't think Ashton is the next cab off the rank for left wing either. The problem with Ashton is he's gone missing too often for England and without the workrate of some of the other wingers it's difficult for him to put his case forward. Would think Rokoduguni, Nowell and Yarde would be ahead of him at the moment.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by MissBlennerhassett Tue 17 Feb 2015, 12:19 pm

Two evenly matched sides, with the result being determined by the match officials. Sad but true statement about the game today. Refereeing of the breakdown being key but also the scrum and line out for that matter, let alone spotting of forward passes. It's such a marginal part of the game it has the potential to ruin it as a spectacle. Does the best team always or even usually win these days?

MissBlennerhassett

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 17 Feb 2015, 12:22 pm

MissBlennerhassett wrote:Two evenly matched sides, with the result being determined by the match officials. Sad but true statement about the game today. Refereeing of the breakdown being key but also the scrum and line out for that matter, let alone spotting of forward passes. It's such a marginal part of the game it has the potential to ruin it as a spectacle. Does the best team always or even usually win these days?

I don't know. I'll tell you in two weeks if we're 'robbed' Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 17 Feb 2015, 12:25 pm

Bambam I don't understand. Should we just accept that players stay the same year upon year? You don't think players improve?

Ashton didn't run away from Burgess on the weekend - big tackle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAIfMIARMDc

Also his superior finishing counted for a lot when we beat the ABs.

Manu made a line break but he needed the man in support and he had Ashton there.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by MissBlennerhassett Tue 17 Feb 2015, 12:29 pm

SecretFly wrote:
MissBlennerhassett wrote:Two evenly matched sides, with the result being determined by the match officials. Sad but true statement about the game today. Refereeing of the breakdown being key but also the scrum and line out for that matter, let alone spotting of forward passes. It's such a marginal part of the game it has the potential to ruin it as a spectacle. Does the best team always or even usually win these days?

I don't know.  I'll tell you in two weeks if we're 'robbed' Wink

See, you lot have started robbing already! This is my excuse so keep your thieving mitts off it. Very Happy

MissBlennerhassett

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 17 Feb 2015, 12:29 pm

Have to agree. Craig Joubert will hopefully lean towards Ireland this time.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by MissBlennerhassett Tue 17 Feb 2015, 12:33 pm

Is it Craig Joubert? We're doomed!

MissBlennerhassett

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 17 Feb 2015, 12:38 pm

It is. He reffed the same fixture last year.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 17 Feb 2015, 12:40 pm

can't remember what he was liked? Favoured England?

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Tue 17 Feb 2015, 12:45 pm

The only noteworthy decision I remember was O'Connell not being penalised for holding Launchbury back off the ball in the build-up to the Irish try. Can't remember the consensus on whether it was correct.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 17 Feb 2015, 12:45 pm

fa0019 wrote:can't remember what he was liked? Favoured England?

It was much of a muchness for most of the game. England fans were annoyed he didnt spot POC holding back Robshaw(?) for the Kearney try which was marginal enough however, I was annoyed at the end when Ireland had a rolling maul near the England line Joubert failed to penalise England for fairly blatent infringements at the maul which would have given Ireland a draw at least.

Last edited by GunsGerms on Tue 17 Feb 2015, 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 17 Feb 2015, 12:45 pm

He shouldn't get the same game again this year. Not because he's good or bad but because surely an organisation as big as the Six nations can understand a little reffing variety over a two year period might be a better option. Do the hard workers in 6N head office even realise he reffed the same game last year?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by MissBlennerhassett Tue 17 Feb 2015, 12:46 pm

Let me guess, I suspect the Irish will say he did and the English that he didn't. Anyway, it's a well known fact that all nations and hence all citizens of those nations which includes referees, have it in for England. We not only have to beat teams that build themselves up in to a fervour of anti-Albionism but beat 16 men at the same time. It's tough out there for us English boys you know!

Last edited by MissBlennerhassett on Tue 17 Feb 2015, 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

MissBlennerhassett

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 17 Feb 2015, 12:47 pm

GunsGerms wrote:

It was much of a muchness for most of the game. England fans were annoyed he didnt spot POC holding back Robshaw(?) for the Kearney try however, I was annoyed at the end when Ireland had a rolling maul near the England line Joubert failed to penalise England for fairly blatent infringements at the maul which would have given Ireland a draw at least.

So more Paulie pulling and English maul infringements on the way. Both sides will have done their homework on the doables.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 17 Feb 2015, 12:48 pm

Penalty count was ireland 10 England 11 I think.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Tue 17 Feb 2015, 12:49 pm

Outstandingly good game of rugby last year, I thought, possibly as technically excellent an all-NH match as I've seen in recent times. As the ref gets so many brickbats most of the time, I think it's at least fair to say that Joubert must have had some role in allowing it to be so. I don't see why his appointment should favour anyone particularly.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Tue 17 Feb 2015, 12:52 pm

SecretFly wrote:He shouldn't get the same game again this year.  Not because he's good or bad but because surely an organisation as big as the Six nations can understand a little reffing variety over a two year period might be a better option.  Do the hard workers in 6N head office even realise he reffed the same game last year?

Joubert is at least a decent ref and generally knows his stuff. England had Walsh two years in a row against Wales - and both years came off worst from his decisions.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 17 Feb 2015, 12:54 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:May is better in the air, faster, beats players and makes more ground. Both their defence is so so. I don't think Ashton is the next cab off the rank for left wing either. The problem with Ashton is he's gone missing too often for England and without the workrate of some of the other wingers it's difficult for him to put his case forward. Would think Rokoduguni, Nowell and Yarde would be ahead of him at the moment.

No 7 &1/2 disagree. You make me laugh with your ignorance.

Ashton has become much sharper in the air - shown in his performance against Munster when he caught the ball and pinned back Munster again and again.

Ashton consistently makes more of an impact against the best sides in Europe - sides like Ulster,Clermont and Munster.

Top try scorer of the HC last season? So what? All walk ins against rubbish opposition no?

4 tries vs Munster and Clermont - all walk ins too this season....

Try and assist on the weekend vs Bath don't count because Bath are missing their godly trio in the backs...

I think Ashton's a more all round winger than he used to be. You don't need to be a genius to see that though Ashton is unlikeable he's one of the sharpest wingers in Europe.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 17 Feb 2015, 12:55 pm

Poorfour wrote:
SecretFly wrote:He shouldn't get the same game again this year.  Not because he's good or bad but because surely an organisation as big as the Six nations can understand a little reffing variety over a two year period might be a better option.  Do the hard workers in 6N head office even realise he reffed the same game last year?

Joubert is at least a decent ref and generally knows his stuff. England had Walsh two years in a row against Wales - and both years came off worst from his decisions.

But if we lose another tight game, that's Joubert in bed with Walsh from there on in Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 17 Feb 2015, 1:04 pm

Beshocked

That may be the case but the fact is....Ashton doesn't suit the tactics. He looked lost in his last games for England.

Now maybe with Joseph and Ford bringing more guile in there it will be a different thing. And I wouldn't be adverse to seeing how he goes, but I don't agree with your opinion of May as I disagreed with your opinion of Nowell last year.

Anyway we wont agree, so lets just agree to disagree.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 17 Feb 2015, 1:10 pm

beshocked wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:May is better in the air, faster, beats players and makes more ground. Both their defence is so so. I don't think Ashton is the next cab off the rank for left wing either. The problem with Ashton is he's gone missing too often for England and without the workrate of some of the other wingers it's difficult for him to put his case forward. Would think Rokoduguni, Nowell and Yarde would be ahead of him at the moment.

No 7 &1/2 disagree. You make me laugh with your ignorance.

Ashton has become much sharper in the air - shown in his performance against Munster when he caught the ball and pinned back Munster again and again.

Ashton consistently makes more of an impact against the best sides in Europe - sides like Ulster,Clermont and Munster.

Top try scorer of the HC last season? So what? All walk ins against rubbish opposition no?

4 tries vs Munster and Clermont - all walk ins too this season....

Try and assist on the weekend vs Bath don't count because Bath are missing their godly trio in the backs...

I think Ashton's a more all round winger than he used to be. You don't need to be a genius to see that though Ashton is unlikeable he's one of the sharpest wingers in Europe.

Eh? Ignorance? May is better in the air, is faster, does beat more players and make more ground. He has gone missing for England. I don't mention tries at all. I see what Ashton does and doesn't offer. Is my assertion that Yarde, Nowell and Rokoduguni are probably ahead of him at the moment outrageous? Wind your neck in.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue 17 Feb 2015, 1:11 pm

Yes they do, or at least the best on the day. Scotland could of beaten Wales, and did manage to create more opportunities to score tries. That they did not was down to them (and Welsh defense). The refereeing wasnt ideal (and yes I didnt see the worst stuff at the end) but they had quite enough opportunities which they managed to mess up all on their own. That is probably the closest match out of the 6 games in this 6N. I don't think there is any argument about the winners in the other 5 so far.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Tue 17 Feb 2015, 2:19 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
robbo277 wrote:That's the beauty about the Six Nations. There's no losing bonus point. There's no return fixture in two weeks at Twickenham. This is winner take all for these two teams.

To close the gap on an 11 point margin England only have to lose a game by 5 and Ireland win one by 6 or some combination of 11. 11 point points difference isnt really that much at all. England beat Italy by 30 points ireland beat them by 23. Not that big a difference really.

However, I would agree that Ireland will need to beat England or they will more than likely cruise to the slam.

My point was the +11 in combination with the remaining fixtures would probably mean Ireland wouldn't win. So if England were to win:

England win the last two and they get the Grand Slam.
England win one and lose one. Ireland would then have to win two away games AND overturn the points difference.

It wouldn't be impossible, no, but if England were to (say) lose to Scotland by a couple of points then put a bit of a score on France at home (10?) Ireland would have to win both of their games by a clear score (away from home) or hand out a bit of a thrashing to either Wales or Scotland.

robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 17 Feb 2015, 2:20 pm

France v England will be interesting. yes it is in Twickers but France beat England last year and they are a tough side.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 17 Feb 2015, 2:29 pm

no 7 & 1/2 better in the air? Not sure I agree. Faster? Agreed but Usain Bolt is faster than both, doesn't make him a superior rugby player than either. Ashton is no slouch either.

Beats more players? You're probably right about that one but again a supporting run can make more important than beating a player or two.

I do agree that May has gone missing for England.

I haven't been impressed by May in an England shirt - if he was playing well I would have no case.

May does have his strengths sure like being able to run very fast but I feel he needs to show off his strengths more.

I would say that Ashton's a superior passer, better supporter runner, superior finisher. Also his kicking game is much improved. Ashton's tries look simple because that's what he makes them. Running a good support line lacks the flash of a scintillating line break but it can be just as if not more effective.

Why is it that Ashton can't be given another chance yet Cipriani,Haskell and Easter can?

Yes I think it's pretty outrageous because Yarde's in appalling form, Roko hasn't done much this season, Nowell - the only fair debatable one though it's a close run thing depending on what type of winger you want.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Tue 17 Feb 2015, 2:31 pm

GunsGerms wrote:France v England will be interesting. yes it is in Twickers but France beat England last year and they are a tough side.

One thing that surprised me about France is the fall from grace of Fickou - match winner last year - who I expected to go on and form a lethal partnership with Fofana. I haven't watched as much European rugby as I would have hoped this year (barely any), but I read that he had pretty much been completely dropped by Toulouse?

I think it will be an interesting match-up. Personally, I think England should be looking to keep the scores down this weekend and target Ireland's set-piece (as we did against Wales), but against France we should be looking to increase the tempo, move away from set-piece and use the backs (as we did against Italy). It will be interesting to see if Lancaster thinks the same and then how successful we are at executing each game plan against (in my opinion and with all due respect), higher quality of opposition.

Developing two different game plans and styles of play with the same XV is a very useful thing to have in your locker, especially in a World Cup year.

robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 17 Feb 2015, 2:41 pm

beshocked wrote:no 7 & 1/2 better in the air? Not sure I agree. Faster? Agreed but Usain Bolt is faster than both, doesn't make him a superior rugby player than either. Ashton is no slouch either.

Beats more players? You're probably right about that one but again a supporting run can make more important than beating a player or two.

I haven't been impressed by May in an England shirt - if he was playing well I would have no case.

May does have his strengths sure like being able to run very fast but I feel he needs to show off his strengths more.

I would say that Ashton's a superior passer, better supporter runner, superior finisher. Also his kicking game is much improved. Ashton's tries look simple because that's what he makes them. Running a good support line lacks the flash of a scintillating line break but it can be just as if not more effective.

Why is it that Ashton can't be given another chance yet Cipriani,Haskell and Easter can?

Yes I think it's pretty outrageous because Yarde's in appalling form, Roko hasn't done much this season, Nowell - the only fair debatable one though it's a close run thing depending on what type of winger you want.

Well he will get another chance but I don't think he'll be getting a chance before those others. Let's remember that Ashton got along run in the team when he wasn't in great form for either England or Saracens. His form improved for Saracens he got a reprieve because of injuries to guys bang in form like Wade and still wasn't great. During that period I was saying he should be given the chance to recapture that form, it didn't work for him. Personally I think he needs to involve himself more in games to get back as a starter for England as that's what lancaster is looking for. Despite May being mediocre in the 6Nations so far he's still done the grunt work. Don't try to turn me into an Ashton hater as that isn't what I'm saying or have been saying for the last 2 years.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Tue 17 Feb 2015, 2:43 pm

Lancaster has confirmed he sees Alex Goode as the number 2 full back behind Mike Brown, and will likely pick him if Brown does not recover.

http://www1.skysports.com/rugby-union/news/12040/9718958/six-nations-england-retain-17-for-training-ahead-of-ireland-match

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Tue 17 Feb 2015, 2:51 pm

vomit

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 17 Feb 2015, 2:57 pm

Rugby Fan wrote:Lancaster has confirmed he sees Alex Goode as the number 2 full back behind Mike Brown, and will likely pick him if Brown does not recover.

http://www1.skysports.com/rugby-union/news/12040/9718958/six-nations-england-retain-17-for-training-ahead-of-ireland-match

Makes sense when you consider the likely kicking tactics of Ireland. 2 years ago he was man of the match and fielded everything.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Tue 17 Feb 2015, 3:09 pm

Agree with 7.5, Goode's got to be the one against Ireland with Brown and Foden out. A back 3 of May, Nowell and Watson would be awfully risky in my opinion.

I wouldn't be surprised if he brought Twelvetrees in to the starting lineup to bring Manu onto the bench, if fit. Not the way I'd go, but I wouldn't put it past Lancaster, especially as you could have Cipriani as your 15 cover if Watson goes down.

robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue 17 Feb 2015, 3:09 pm

Lets be charitable. Excellent kicker. Could also take over kicking duties from Ford if needed. Try try try hard not to think 'jink splat'

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Tue 17 Feb 2015, 3:10 pm

That should read *if* Brown is out (Foden definitely). Brown is not training this week as part of the Return to Play protocols, but the week off may have come at the right time for him.

robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 17 Feb 2015, 3:24 pm

robbo277 wrote:

My point was the +11 in combination with the remaining fixtures would probably mean Ireland wouldn't win. So if England were to win:

England win the last two and they get the Grand Slam.
England win one and lose one. Ireland would then have to win two away games AND overturn the points difference.

It wouldn't be impossible, no, but if England were to (say) lose to Scotland by a couple of points then put a bit of a score on France at home (10?) Ireland would have to win both of their games by a clear score (away from home) or hand out a bit of a thrashing to either Wales or Scotland.

I know what you meant but 11 points difference isnt that significant at this juncture really albeit given England have more home games they are likely to have a better goal difference in the end.

Last edited by GunsGerms on Tue 17 Feb 2015, 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Tue 17 Feb 2015, 3:25 pm

robbo277 wrote:That should read *if* Brown is out (Foden definitely). Brown is not training this week as part of the Return to Play protocols, but the week off may have come at the right time for him.

Apparently not being allowed back on the pitch on Saturday made him angry. You wouldn't like him when he's angry... I'd be reasonably confident that Brown will recover in time; the question is whether it's affected his confidence. He took a big hit in an AP game against Exeter earlier in the year and it took several games for him to recover (though that might have been down to carrying an injury as a result).
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by wrfc1980 Tue 17 Feb 2015, 3:45 pm

Anyonme know whats happening with Manu, is he likely to be in the mix for the Irleand game?

wrfc1980

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Tue 17 Feb 2015, 3:49 pm

wrfc1980 wrote:Anyonme know whats happening with Manu, is he likely to be in the mix for the Irleand game?

Seems very unlikely. Unless he plays for Tigers this weekend I can't see that he could show he's fully fit, and even if he were would you really replace Joseph? He might make the bench at best.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 17 Feb 2015, 3:54 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:
beshocked wrote:no 7 & 1/2 better in the air? Not sure I agree. Faster? Agreed but Usain Bolt is faster than both, doesn't make him a superior rugby player than either. Ashton is no slouch either.

Well he will get another chance but I don't think he'll be getting a chance before those others. Let's remember that Ashton got  along run in the team when he wasn't in great form for either England or Saracens. His form improved for Saracens he got a reprieve because of injuries to guys bang in form like Wade and still wasn't great. During that period I was saying he should be given the chance to recapture that form, it didn't work for him. Personally I think he needs to involve himself more in games to get back as a starter for England as that's what lancaster is looking for. Despite May being mediocre in the 6Nations so far he's still done the grunt work. Don't try to turn me into an Ashton hater as that isn't what I'm saying or have been saying for the last 2 years.

I think that's a crucial part. In his last few games one of my biggest criticisms of Ashton was his work rate. In the past you would see him all over the field..taking passes on the other wing...or in midfield etc....but all of that seemed to come to a halt. I wondered if it was instructions...but the fact that May IS doing all that (often maybe not with the best results as of yet) would suggest that it was simply Ashton stopped working and running those lines.

I said above...with Ford, Watson and Joseph more creative style players he may fit in better, but I think Mays work rate and pace is crucial. His chases etc put pressure on defenders. I also think that people are playing down the rest of his game considerably.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 17 Feb 2015, 3:54 pm

Would you start Hartley or Youngs?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Tue 17 Feb 2015, 3:57 pm

Definitely Hartley against the Irish lineout. If Lawes can play the weekend I'd have him starting too, that partnership won't give much away

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 17 Feb 2015, 4:09 pm

robbo277 wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:France v England will be interesting. yes it is in Twickers but France beat England last year and they are a tough side.

One thing that surprised me about France is the fall from grace of Fickou - match winner last year - who I expected to go on and form a lethal partnership with Fofana. I haven't watched as much European rugby as I would have hoped this year (barely any), but I read that he had pretty much been completely dropped by Toulouse?

I think it will be an interesting match-up. Personally, I think England should be looking to keep the scores down this weekend and target Ireland's set-piece (as we did against Wales), but against France we should be looking to increase the tempo, move away from set-piece and use the backs (as we did against Italy). It will be interesting to see if Lancaster thinks the same and then how successful we are at executing each game plan against (in my opinion and with all due respect), higher quality of opposition.

Developing two different game plans and styles of play with the same XV is a very useful thing to have in your locker, especially in a World Cup year.

Completely agree re Fickou. When I saw their first squad I couldnt believe he wasnt in it. Thought he was a banker.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Tue 17 Feb 2015, 4:19 pm

Rugby Fan wrote:Lancaster has confirmed he sees Alex Goode as the number 2 full back behind Mike Brown, and will likely pick him if Brown does not recover.

But, he has also retained Nowell to train with the XV that started against Italy. Strange decision to let all the bench go baring 36. I would be worried about injuries, but "England do have great strength in depth" as we are frequently told.

If Lawes doesn't start, I would play Youngs. If Lawes is fit Hartley.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 17 Feb 2015, 4:30 pm

I will be licking my chops if Goode starts though I would prefer a full strength England. We kept Brown out last year we could do it again this year.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 17 Feb 2015, 4:32 pm

Nowell can cover 13/Wing and 15 and is playing very nice rugby. He's put on some beef this season and added some pace after finally sorting out his leg injury.

He would be a great bench option...id even consider him on the wing if brown was injured.
It may be young and inexperienced but id give this back three a run out.
11 May
14 Nowell
15 Watson

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next