The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland v England - Match Thread

+92
MarcusHalberstram
John Cregan
jbeadlesbigrighthand
JDizzle
formerly known as Sam
Steve_rugby
wolfball
LeinsterFan4life
Sgt_Pooly
Golden
Heaf
nobbled
Duty281
mystiroakey
boomeranga
Engine#4
Hood83
westisbest
Tiger/Chief
Cumbrian
Alex_Germany
Mickado
hugehandoff
GoodinTightSpaces
MunsterMac
No9
EnglishReign
MichaelT
asoreleftshoulder
bluestonevedder
sad_gimp
HammerofThunor
TrailApe
kunu
Stewie15
TheRugbyMaster
the-goon
Gooseberry
theslosty
BigTrevsbigmac
Breadvan
ME-109
Marshes
funnyExiledScot
Barney McGrew did it
TightHEAD
geoff999rugby
nathan
Rory_Gallagher
Nachos Jones
toml
profitius
FecklessRogue
Pot Hale
Steffan
Cowshot
yappysnap
dummy_half
doctor_grey
The Great Aukster
LondonTiger
Cyril
thebandwagonsociety
king_carlos
rodders
Sin é
sickofwendy
wrfc1980
Rugby Fan
thomh
MissBlennerhassett
No 7&1/2
beshocked
robbo277
majesticimperialman
bedfordwelsh
Gwlad
quinsforever
The Fourth Lion
BamBam
Submachine
Poorfour
lostinwales
Geordie
fa0019
gregortree
SecretFly
Notch
stub
captain carrantuohil
WELL-PAST-IT
GunsGerms
96 posters

Page 15 of 21 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 21  Next

Go down

Who is going to win

Ireland v England - Match Thread - Page 15 Vote_lcap64%Ireland v England - Match Thread - Page 15 Vote_rcap 64% 
[ 54 ]
Ireland v England - Match Thread - Page 15 Vote_lcap33%Ireland v England - Match Thread - Page 15 Vote_rcap 33% 
[ 28 ]
Ireland v England - Match Thread - Page 15 Vote_lcap2%Ireland v England - Match Thread - Page 15 Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 84

Poll closed

Ireland v England - Match Thread - Page 15 Empty Ireland v England - Match Thread

Post by GunsGerms Mon 16 Feb 2015, 2:23 pm

First topic message reminder :

I know I am two weeks early but Ireland v England on Sunday 1st March will possibly be the 6 nations decider as both teams are the only two teams still undefeated in the 6 nations so far this year.

There are many different angles, plots and sub plots to this game. Here are some of the many things at stake:

Reaburn Shield:

Ireland have held it for 4 consecutive games having defeated previous holders SA in November.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raeburn_Shield

3rd place in rankings:

Ireland v England - Match Thread - Page 15 Rating10

Triple Crown:

Only Ireland and England can still win this trophy and with due respect to Scotland and Wales who Ireland have yet to play to win it would be some achievement this year.

Grand Slam:

Only Ireland and England and win the slam.

6 nations title:
Obviously France and Wales are still in the running with only one loss but the bookies have Ireland and England as favorites at this point.

Millennium Trophy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium_Trophy

Eye on the WC:
The earliest Ireland and England could possibly meet at the WC is the Semi finals if they both win their pools and their quarter finals or both come runner up and win their quarters. Either way I think other fixtures such England v Wales and Ireland v France were more important for each nations WC preparations.

Ireland need one more win to tie their record of 10 sucessive wins.

Head to head record:
Overall: England 74 wins Ireland 46 wins
6Nations: England 7 wins Ireland 8 wins

Who is going to win and why?
http://www.espn.co.uk/six-nations-2015/rugby/story/256583.html
Phil Vickery predicts an England win.

Teams:

England:

Ireland:

Last edited by GunsGerms on Fri 27 Feb 2015, 2:10 pm; edited 6 times in total

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Ireland v England - Match Thread - Page 15 Empty Re: Ireland v England - Match Thread

Post by SecretFly Sun 01 Mar 2015, 10:57 am

The big Kweskin is this:

How good are Ireland?  

They did what they did last year - losing to England by 3 in a top class quality game being the only dip.
They did what they did in the Autumn.  Arguments will be made that SA and Australia were fatigued to certain degrees so the jury might be out even still.
They have done what they've done so far in the 6N this year.  Doing enough to win but certainly not inspiring any headlines with the methods of doing so.  Pragmatic and smart, yes; but lacking a ruthless bite.

How good are England?  Well, good enough not to have to do too much more than they've done already to beat an Ireland that showed up for the last two games!

So England have hit the afterburners a few times already this season to blow off or away the opposition distraction.  They've allowed themselves to stretch their legs and show what their high tempo A game looks like.

Impressive Wink

But we therefore know how good they can be.  Nobody will be surprised if they have the same push for periods of today's game - depending on conditions.  Indeed we'll absolutely expect a good 30 to 40 minutes of it at sometime in the game.

So Ireland remains the mystery.  They've not really been put under enough pressure yet to be forced to show what an A game might be (let's reference the NZ one as an example) - when they are charged and in that defiant and domineering mood.  England - along with Wales - are the exact kind of opposition to force it out - if it's at all there, this season.

So that's the question - how good are Ireland?

I dread to think!  And I really don't want to know how bad they might be!!! Wink  If it's a loss by a few points again or due to a yellow card, then we'll be fine.  If we collapse under any physical bullying (softening up) by the English then we're back to square one.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Ireland v England - Match Thread - Page 15 Empty Re: Ireland v England - Match Thread

Post by SecretFly Sun 01 Mar 2015, 11:04 am

Nachos Jones wrote:Earls had yet another storming game for Munster last night so he must surely be in Schmidt's considerations...

Like I said before.  I'm fed up waiting for it and listening to it.

Depending on how we do today, Earls really should get something this season - either against Wales or Scotland.  
Everyone was crying for Zebo to be given an honest chance.  I doubt though if Schmidt will upset the team too much now for the duration, but Earls has to be given a chance on that team and with Schmidt at some point.  I'm not sure the Summer pre-WC games will be enough to get him down as a nailed on for the WC itself.  But if Zebo deserved a crack based on natural ability and form - then certainly Earls deserves a genuine try-out.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 01 Mar 2015, 11:14 am

What is Earls best position?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 01 Mar 2015, 11:16 am

LondonTiger wrote:What is Earls best position?

Some say he's an out and out winger because he can't pass (or won't Wink )

Others say he's a guy who should get a shot in the centre because he can pass and has a brain that is constantly seeking alternatives.

like all things in Ireland - the jury is out and the war about where to put him continues Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 01 Mar 2015, 12:10 pm

Good morning and good luck to all (but a bit more to England, if no one minds). Unfortunately, not sure I can watch because I was called to go to work for emergency and it looks like a long difficult day. Have to be there in an hour.

Earls is a little strange, from my perspective. Good player, but seems to me like a back up at international level. Other players seem like better starting options at wing and centre. He's played some fullback, too? Same would obviously apply there. But a valuable person to have on the bench. Has a nice step and quick acceleration.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 01 Mar 2015, 12:19 pm

This is going to be some game.... Can't wait..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Sun 01 Mar 2015, 12:22 pm

sooo looking forwards to it. was definitely my favourite match of the 6N last year. super-clean match in great conditions with both sides playing positively and almost no deliberate infringing or slowing down of ball.

lets hope todays contest is equally high quality, and that we arent all talking about the referee afterwards as having decided it.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sun 01 Mar 2015, 12:27 pm

Nervous now, can not wait though!

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 01 Mar 2015, 12:31 pm

Aye.. Fingers crossed for a clean one.. Or I am out of any discussion that goes on for weeks and months over the ref..

No bookie can call this game and I am not surprised. It's the prize game of the 6 nations..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 01 Mar 2015, 12:31 pm

I am very nervous about today's game, whoever win could win the Grand Slam while the other fights it out for runner up place.

Hoping for an England win. but regardless of who wins, hoping for a good game.

can't wait.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Sun 01 Mar 2015, 12:54 pm

Very windy weather today. I'm sure it'll have some effect on the game.

And chance of snow

Last edited by profitius on Sun 01 Mar 2015, 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 01 Mar 2015, 12:55 pm

I for one can wait.  I could wait another bloody year, if I'm honest.

I'll be pumped during the anthems themselves - with nerves - moaning that Ross shouldn't have moved his arm around POC like that and it'll probably let England in for a try!  Or Sexton shouldn't have sung both anthems, it'll tire him out and he won't be ready for the early English onslaught.

Oh there's so much tactics in anthem singing!

Wink

Good luck to the English team................. in the sense of no serious injuries.  Have a goodish game... but of course I hope the Irish team need no luck at all.

Enjoy the game.  I know I won't.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Sun 01 Mar 2015, 12:59 pm

Irelands biggest weapon today is Michael D Higgins. He might lack a small bit of physicality but he'll do a good job in taming the opposition.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 01 Mar 2015, 1:06 pm

profitius wrote:Irelands biggest weapon today is Michael D Higgins. He might lack a small bit of physicality but he'll do a good job in taming the opposition.

WHO? is he the ref for today.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 01 Mar 2015, 1:08 pm

King Michael.D V....

Would that make him more marketable?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Sun 01 Mar 2015, 1:09 pm

SecretFly wrote:
Nachos Jones wrote:Earls had yet another storming game for Munster last night so he must surely be in Schmidt's considerations...

Like I said before.  I'm fed up waiting for it and listening to it.

Depending on how we do today, Earls really should get something this season - either against Wales or Scotland.  
Everyone was crying for Zebo to be given an honest chance.  I doubt though if Schmidt will upset the team too much now for the duration, but Earls has to be given a chance on that team and with Schmidt at some point.  I'm not sure the Summer pre-WC games will be enough to get him down as a nailed on for the WC itself.  But if Zebo deserved a crack based on natural ability and form - then certainly Earls deserves a genuine try-out.

I agree that it depends on today, if Ireland do lose then I am sure that Schmidt will want to give him a go.

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Sun 01 Mar 2015, 1:15 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:
profitius wrote:Irelands biggest weapon today is Michael D Higgins. He might lack a small bit of physicality but he'll do a good job in taming the opposition.

The Irish President. Gareth Thomas thinks he'll be an asset on the red carpet prior the kick off!

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/republic-of-ireland/rugby-star-gareth-thomas-hails-effect-of-michael-d-higgins-31025819.html

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowshot Sun 01 Mar 2015, 1:20 pm

The build up has really got underway for the teams. Carefully controlled diet at lunch no doubt. Scrum halves ritually gagged and stuffed in a cupboard to shut them up til the anthems...

Cowshot

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 01 Mar 2015, 1:26 pm

stub wrote:

The Irish President. Gareth Thomas thinks he'll be an asset on the red carpet prior the kick off!

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/republic-of-ireland/rugby-star-gareth-thomas-hails-effect-of-michael-d-higgins-31025819.html

Never heard of him.

But can well understand why Gareth Thomas say's what he say's. You just want to get the anthems out of the way and get on with the game.

Just imagine if every team that came to Twickers to play England had to meet the Royal family before the game started? Does not bare thinking about.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Sun 01 Mar 2015, 1:31 pm

Kick off can't come soon enough for me - I can't relax!

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by FecklessRogue Sun 01 Mar 2015, 1:44 pm

Heard rumours of what certain members of the Irish team were up to in Galway last weekend. Don't amateur GAA players even have alcohol bans at important stages of the season? Or is going on the lash perfectly acceptable a week before a game?

My prediction. After all the 2nd place finishes, and the upcoming home world cup, England will need it more and want it more. That will be the difference. England to win.
FecklessRogue
FecklessRogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 01 Mar 2015, 1:50 pm

This could be the making of Lancaster's England: win here against a very testing opponent, secure a Grand Slam later on, then march on the World Cup with a full head of momentum.

Or, slip to a defeat and finish second once more.

I think Ireland are the narrow favourites; the main question is whether they can raise their standard sufficiently enough, as they have been below their best for the opening two games. And can England replicate the second-half performance against the Welsh?

Keys for Ireland: win the kicking duel, get ahead early, and force some mistakes out of an inexperienced English side.

And England? MAKE A START FROM THE FIRST WHISTLE (!), deal with the inevitable high balls well, and make sure a good enough intensity at the breakdown can deliver swift ball to the back-line who are so very dangerous.

England by 2. But I would not be surprised at any of the three results occurring.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by nobbled Sun 01 Mar 2015, 1:55 pm

Nervous about this one. Possible GS for either side - high stakes and two teams going well.
Good luck - England to scrape it (please!)
nobbled
nobbled

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Sun 01 Mar 2015, 2:03 pm

stub wrote:

Never heard of him.

But can well understand why Gareth Thomas say's what he say's. You just want to get the anthems out of the way and get on with the game.

Just imagine if every team that came to Twickers to play England had to meet the Royal family before the game started? Does not bare thinking about.

Bearing in mind you don't know who the Head of State of your nearest neighbour is, it looks like a good idea to take the opportunity for our Head of State to be introduced to you.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowshot Sun 01 Mar 2015, 2:25 pm

Sin é wrote:
stub wrote:

Never heard of him.

Bearing in mind you don't know who the Head of State of your nearest neighbour is, it looks like a good idea to take the opportunity for our Head of State to be introduced to you.

Pot Hale told us in another thread: Bilbo - a very learned gentleman with poetic leanings. Wink

Cowshot

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 01 Mar 2015, 2:36 pm

Dear god why to we have to put up with John feckin inverdale.. . He's a Nob....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 01 Mar 2015, 2:37 pm

+1

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 01 Mar 2015, 2:40 pm

Yesterday he read a clarifying statement about when time is up after the man sausage-up by the officials last week in Scotland and then when he paraphrased it at the end he got it wrong ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Sun 01 Mar 2015, 2:41 pm

Heaf wrote:Yesterday he read a clarifying statement about when time is up after the man sausage-up by the officials last week in Scotland and then when he paraphrased it at the end he got it wrong ...

He really is a special kind of stupid.

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 01 Mar 2015, 2:47 pm

We have Inverdale, Guscott, Woodward and Jonathon Davies... I wish I had RTE. Especially if we lose.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 01 Mar 2015, 2:47 pm

Getting nervous now - Ireland have to be favourites today but I was there two years ago (and had a great time mixing with some great Irish supporters) when they were favourites and arguably stronger than they are now, with England arguably not as good as they are now, so hopefully England can do it again - whatever happens I'm hoping for no controversial calls by the officials to spoil what should be a great game ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Sun 01 Mar 2015, 2:47 pm

He had a nice scarf though......

http://www.sportsjoe.ie/rugby/pic-you-simply-just-have-to-see-what-john-inverdale-is-trying-to-pull-off-as-a-scarf-today/15449

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 01 Mar 2015, 2:48 pm

Notch wrote:We have Inverdale, Guscott, Woodward and Jonathon Davies... I wish I had RTE. Especially if we lose.

Yes the BBC really should rethink their team ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Sun 01 Mar 2015, 2:49 pm

Cowshot wrote:
Sin é wrote:
stub wrote:

Never heard of him.

Pot Hale told us in another thread: Bilbo - a very learned gentleman with poetic leanings. Wink

This little rant of his about the US got 2 million views on Youtube! Very, very articulate gentleman.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5OWRRJh-PI
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 01 Mar 2015, 2:51 pm

I'm extremely nervous.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Sun 01 Mar 2015, 2:51 pm

I would feel a hell of a lot more confident if Farrell was playing for England. Ford has brought a better balance and ability to get this English backline moving and that worries me.

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sun 01 Mar 2015, 2:52 pm

England look more relaxed

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 01 Mar 2015, 2:53 pm

Shame the weather doesn't look too clever though - could be a lot of handling errors spoiling things a bit

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Sun 01 Mar 2015, 2:55 pm

Dragging this out a bit
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 01 Mar 2015, 2:56 pm

Those kick retention stats look good for Ireland

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Sun 01 Mar 2015, 2:57 pm

Zzzz
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 01 Mar 2015, 2:58 pm

At least we don't have to watch a silly dance Smile

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 01 Mar 2015, 2:58 pm

Healy is in very thoughtful mood....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Sun 01 Mar 2015, 2:58 pm

I cant be the only Irishman that dislikes 'Irelands call'?

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 01 Mar 2015, 2:59 pm

Brian Moore as well? God save us.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Sun 01 Mar 2015, 2:59 pm

Heaf wrote:At least we don't have to watch a silly dance Smile

that is true, but still zzz
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 01 Mar 2015, 2:59 pm

>NJ,
I actually think it's quite catchy ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 01 Mar 2015, 3:00 pm

Kruis needs a big game In the engine room. Has done ok but he really needs to show what he's about.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 01 Mar 2015, 3:00 pm

No May and no Brown. Crying or Very sad

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 01 Mar 2015, 3:01 pm

More concerned about Brown ... still not sure about May

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 21 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 21  Next