The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fury Says He'll Retire If He Can't Beat Hammer

+13
Derbymanc
Lance
TRUSSMAN66
Steffan
Rowley
DuransHorse
Hammersmith harrier
milkyboy
Coxy001
hazharrison
TopHat24/7
Pedro147
hampo17
17 posters

Go down

Fury Says He'll Retire If He Can't Beat Hammer Empty Fury Says He'll Retire If He Can't Beat Hammer

Post by hampo17 Fri 27 Feb 2015, 10:36 am

WBO International Heavyweight Champion Tyson Fury and challenger Christian Hammer came head-to-head today at the Cineworld in The O2 ahead of Saturday's big showdown, live and exclusive on BoxNation.

Undefeated Fury's risks his title and WBO mandatory shot against reigning world champion Wladimir Klitschko if he loses to the number three ranked challenger.

But Fury is fully aware of what's at stake and say he'll retire if can't defeat the hard-hitting Germany based Romaninan.

"If I can't beat Christian Hammer I'm going nowhere and may as well retire. If I can't knock him out with one clean punch then something's seriously wrong. I'm on a mission to become world heavyweight champion." Said Fury.

Hammer said, "I respect him for risking his position, but he won't get a chance to beat me. I'm also risking my position to take this fight and to come over here and fight him. I've been waiting a long time for this fight and I'll not waste it."

Promoter Frank Warren added, "This is a significant fight for Tyson and he can't afford to lose because the winner of this fight will definitely get a shot against Wladimir Klitschko after he fights Bryant Jennings in New York. Tyson has to come through against Hammer, he asked for a fighter in top 10 and Hammer is at number three. That says a lot about him that he wants to keep busy for Klitschko."

Tyson Fury's WBO International Heavyweight title defence against Christian Hammer and Chris Eubank Jnr's challenge for the Interim WBA World Middleweight title against champion Dmitry Chudinov headlines a quality-packed card featuring Cromer ace Liam Walsh defending his British and Commonwealth Super-Featherweight titles against rival Joe Murray; Bradley Skeete returning to action and challenging for the Vacant WBO European Welterweight title against Anzor Gamgebeli; big-hitting Enfield star Frank Buglioni makes the first defence, in his second reign, of the WBO European Super-Middleweight title, against Ivan Jukic; plus exciting welterweight Ahmet Patterson defending his English Welterweight Championship against Sunderland's undefeated Glenn Foot; Erith talent Lewis Pettitt; undefeated Manchester light-heavyweight prospect Dempsey Fury; plus the pro debut of Essex super-featherweight prospect Boy Jones Jnr.

Remaining Tickets for Risky Business are available from www.eventim.co.uk and 0844 249 1000 or AXS.com or 08448 24 48 24.

BoxNation will televise live and exclusive on Sky 437/HD 490, Virgin 546 and Talk Talk 525. Subscribe at www.boxnation.com Or watch online at Livesport.tv and via iPhone, iPad or Android.

FRIDAY 27th FEBRUARY: OFFICIAL WEIGH-IN OPEN TO THE PUBLIC

All championship title fights will weigh-in for Saturday night's show.

The weigh-in is open to the public and free-to-attend:

Building Six
The O2
Time: 1.30pm for a 2pm start

http://www.v2boxing.co.uk/#!Fury-Says-Hell-Retire-If-He-Cant-Beat-Hammer/c1xmj/B4B2E753-9672-452A-AEEE-EFCAA8E19C28

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Fury Says He'll Retire If He Can't Beat Hammer Empty Re: Fury Says He'll Retire If He Can't Beat Hammer

Post by Pedro147 Fri 27 Feb 2015, 10:49 am

It's a decent card all things considered. Some fights that are close enough to call or are at least competitive unlike some of the recent cards put on by Warren and Hearn.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Fury Says He'll Retire If He Can't Beat Hammer Empty Re: Fury Says He'll Retire If He Can't Beat Hammer

Post by Guest Fri 27 Feb 2015, 10:57 am

Can only hope and pray Hammer lands the hammer on Fury

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 27 Feb 2015, 11:13 am

Fury stoppage in 6-9. Sadly.

More interesting in a future AJ-Hughie match-up.....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri 27 Feb 2015, 11:22 am

It's a good card. Really looking forward to Walsh vs Murray and Patterson vs Foot.

Fury should plant him one in the first half - easy win. He cracks me up Fury - love the way he doesn't take himself seriously.

LOLs at Boy Jones Jr.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Fri 27 Feb 2015, 12:36 pm

I've just said a prayer to every god I can think of. It's hammertime Hammer, do us all a massive favour!

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 27 Feb 2015, 12:43 pm

Never understood why people take fury so seriously when he clearly doesn't himself.  The pantomime act gets people who hate him lining his pockets by tuning in to see him knocked out.

Much improved I think as well. The first few rounds before chis got disheartened showed good skills for a big man. I hope he wins well and secures a big fight where the haters may finally get their wish.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 27 Feb 2015, 1:14 pm

Come on Christian, lay down the hammer and rid us all of Luke Fury.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Fri 27 Feb 2015, 1:23 pm

To all those that want to see Fury get knocked out, what if he and Wilder lose in the next few months before they get their shot at Wlad? Back to heavyweight Boredom for me until I start thinking AJ might be ready. If you want him to lose, may as well wait for the big one.

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Fri 27 Feb 2015, 1:24 pm

If you want him to lose, may as well wait for the big one

Is a knockout loss to Wlad inside 60 seconds more embarrassing than losing to a journeyman by knockout?

I'll go for the more embarrassing! Smile

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Fri 27 Feb 2015, 1:29 pm

Coxy001 wrote:

Is a knockout loss to Wlad inside 60 seconds more embarrassing than losing to a journeyman by knockout?

I hate to say this Coxy but if you think Fury has the capacity to feel embarrassed then you've gotten him all wrong!

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 27 Feb 2015, 1:31 pm

You misjudge him DH, it's all a façade with him, he's horrified by the prospect of failure and the reputation he'll have within his community when he loses.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Fri 27 Feb 2015, 1:43 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:You misjudge him DH, it's all a façade with him, he's horrified by the prospect of failure and the reputation he'll have within his community when he loses.

If he's easily embarrassed then I'd suggest stop singing.

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri 27 Feb 2015, 1:44 pm

Coxy001 wrote:

Faced with someone as big and lively as Fury, no way does Klitschko throw a right hand in the first round. It would be Strictly Come Dancing for a good few rounds.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 27 Feb 2015, 1:59 pm

Not sure why folk are so keen to see Fury lose. Whilst I have no time for the homophobia he is prone to and genunely am not convinced he is all that good a fighter, he is occasionally amusing and quite frequently good to watch. Can also be confident, if he does find himself in a ring with Wlad he will have a proper go.

Hope he wins and we finally get to find out if he is any good in the title fight that will almost certainly follow.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Fri 27 Feb 2015, 2:04 pm

Rowley wrote:Not sure why folk are so keen to see Fury lose. Whilst I have no time for the homophobia he is prone to and genunely am not convinced he is all that good a fighter, he is occasionally amusing and quite frequently good to watch. Can also be confident, if he does find himself in a ring with Wlad he will have a proper go.

Hope he wins and we finally get to find out if he is any good in the title fight that will almost certainly follow.

Might also add that he fought on "council TV" ( can't recall who used that term the other day but brilliant ) for quite a while, so in my book that makes him and fat Mick alright!... OK, maybe not fat Mick but Fury did give me free entertainment when no one else was. Now Frampton and GGG have jumped on the Fury bandwagon I feel there is a revival of the ITV fight nights of old.

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri 27 Feb 2015, 3:11 pm

Why all the hate for Fury? The guy is from these Isles and apart from his bad language he is good for heavyweight boxing as he brings a bit of character and controversy to it

Hopefully he will beat this guy and eventually get a shot at the title against Wlad or Wilder

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 27 Feb 2015, 3:40 pm

Rowley wrote:Not sure why folk are so keen to see Fury lose. Whilst I have no time for the homophobia he is prone to and genunely am not convinced he is all that good a fighter, he is occasionally amusing and quite frequently good to watch. Can also be confident, if he does find himself in a ring with Wlad he will have a proper go.

What evidence do you have to support this theory? I only ask because our previous loudmouth HW hope also planned on giving it a proper go against Wlad and now he's persona non grata around here.

If Fury's "proper go" is basically "making a better fist of it than David Haye" then FFS we could all give it a proper go.

Mayweather's brash, cocky confident and frequently promises us excitement yet regularly fails to live up to the hype he promises...and HE'S a good fighter.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 27 Feb 2015, 3:45 pm

He's too stupid to bottle it......

I'd rather have a stupid big mouth that is fun to watch............Than a boring plodder that is doing very little in promoting the game........

With Fury holding one strap and Wilder the other............Interest in the sport will increase and that can only be a good thing...

Hope Fury wins this fight and beats Wlad..............Who has been a good ambassador but not what Boxing needs at the moment !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Fri 27 Feb 2015, 4:39 pm

Heard the retirement line a few times from Fury. Shows that he knows full well how easily hes being matched. I'm certain Fury has enormous bottle, but I dont think Mick has all that much confidence in him. How long before he fights someone better than Chisora

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 27 Feb 2015, 4:42 pm

DAVE667 wrote:

What evidence do you have to support this theory? I only ask because our previous loudmouth HW hope also planned on giving it a proper go against Wlad and now he's persona non grata around here.

If Fury's "proper go" is basically "making a better fist of it than David Haye" then FFS we could all give it a proper go.

Mayweather's brash, cocky confident and frequently promises us excitement yet regularly fails to live up to the hype he promises...and HE'S  a good fighter.

I have nothing to base it on Dave, hence why I did not make any definitive statements, just get the impression he is the sort of guy who would go out on his shield.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Fri 27 Feb 2015, 6:22 pm

I hate to say it but the big lug is growing on me, from his half assed ridiculousness of the Chis promotions to the little smirks that said he knew he was doing it to sell tickets. He's like a big kid that (probably) ultimately just wants a teensy bit of respect.

Knock of the homophobic rants and I might (shock, horror) become a fan.

Hope he wins this and goes on for a world title shock.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Fri 27 Feb 2015, 8:30 pm

Steffan wrote:Why all the hate for Fury? The guy is from these Isles and apart from his bad language he is good for heavyweight boxing as he brings a bit of character and controversy to it

Hopefully he will beat this guy and eventually get a shot at the title against Wlad or Wilder

A lot of the hate is from is from people who wrote him off ages ago and are annoyed he turned out better than they expected. Some dont like his background. Others are burnt Haye fans who are scared Fury will show Haye up.

I think hes a funny guy in a childish but jovial way. Blatantly on the wind up. Would be brilliant if he knocked Klitschko out.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 27 Feb 2015, 9:35 pm

The guys who thought he was running scared from the price hype train they were all riding at the time are definitely hoping for a fall.

Hey, each to their own. Rather like Saunders he could do with dropping the homophobic stuff but I've always had him more in the 'affable oaf with tongue in cheek' category, rather than an idiot that believes he's the second coming. Hope he wins well.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Fri 27 Feb 2015, 11:19 pm

Thing is with Fury is he's not that great a boxer but does have a massive size advantage over most people he fights. He does have a little nous - you don't get to the level he's fighting at by being totally rubbish - but his chin lets him down badly. However, he should deal with Hammer with little trouble, and then start calling out every big name going to self promote.

I don't like the guy but I will always support the Brit (unless there's 2 of them, in which case I'll support the one I like the most!)

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by trottb Fri 27 Feb 2015, 11:51 pm

Definitely not the talent less oaf, that some try to portray him as. Nor is he the second coming of Ali. He is generally entertaining to watch and listen to (with the exception of some of his more distasteful rants). I do find it funny that some people can take his act seriously, yet find the false promises of Haye, the guff Froch spouts, or Mayweather talking about all his money acceptable. He is bringing crowds back in and there is a chance that, with help from Wilder, boxing can come back to the fore of sport. Good luck to him.

trottb

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Sat 28 Feb 2015, 12:30 am

Boxing needs a lot more than two glass chinned donkeys to bring back the crowds. Nobody outside of regular boxing watchers know who they are.

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by trottb Sat 28 Feb 2015, 9:16 am

I'm not sure that they are glass chinned. Wilder took some decent shots from Stiverne and whilst Fury has been down a few times he hasn't ever looked to be unsteady or in danger. An American heavyweight champion and a loud mouth Irish/British heavyweight champion would certainly ignite the division.

trottb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down