The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Floyd vs Pacman; The One & ONLY Press Conference before Fight Week LINK INCLUDED

+19
RanjitPatel
AdamT
kingraf
88Chris05
TRUSSMAN66
Adam D
Rowley
catchweight
John Bloody Wayne
Scottrf
Strongback
Hammersmith harrier
All Time Great
Pound-for-Pound
Dipper Brown
Atila
Derbymanc
milkyboy
owen10ozzy
23 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Floyd vs Pacman; The One & ONLY Press Conference before Fight Week LINK INCLUDED Empty Floyd vs Pacman; The One & ONLY Press Conference before Fight Week LINK INCLUDED

Post by owen10ozzy Wed 11 Mar 2015, 6:56 pm

So I haven't seen anything mentioned about this; but at 8pm GMT Floyd and Manny will go head to head in the only press conference featuring the pair between now and fight week. Both have foregone the usually contracted promotional tour which runs alongside PPV event's.

Do we think anyone will gain an edge at said press conference....will Floyd try to get under the skin of his foe as he has done in the past?

How will the trainers, Roach & Mayweather Sr approach it?

Is it right that the fighters aren't doing a city promotional tour, given the huge nature of the fight and the fact they are supposedly doing it for the fans?

Last edited by owen10ozzy on Wed 11 Mar 2015, 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Floyd vs Pacman; The One & ONLY Press Conference before Fight Week LINK INCLUDED Empty Re: Floyd vs Pacman; The One & ONLY Press Conference before Fight Week LINK INCLUDED

Post by milkyboy Wed 11 Mar 2015, 7:42 pm

I think they're doing the fans a favour by foregoing the promotional tour

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Floyd vs Pacman; The One & ONLY Press Conference before Fight Week LINK INCLUDED Empty Re: Floyd vs Pacman; The One & ONLY Press Conference before Fight Week LINK INCLUDED

Post by Derbymanc Wed 11 Mar 2015, 7:50 pm

Don't think it needs a promotional tour and think in the grand scheme of things the presser will mean nothing.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Wed 11 Mar 2015, 8:02 pm

owen10ozzy wrote:Do we think anyone will gain an edge at said press conference.
I don't see any edge being gained at this press conference unless someone pulls out a knife or a gun and injures the other fighter with it.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Wed 11 Mar 2015, 8:04 pm

I don't think the fight itself needs the promotional tour; but given the fact the prices make it almost impossible for your average fight fan to go watch it they had a duty to give as many boxing fans as possible the chance to see the fighters in person and soak up the atmosphere of it all.

They are calling it the biggest fight ever...once in a generation...declaring how there doing it for the fans and they owe it to boxing...yet they seem to be doing everything possible to further the event from those fans.

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Wed 11 Mar 2015, 8:32 pm

http://www.boxingnewsonline.net/watch-live-floyd-mayweather-and-manny-pacquiao-at-head-to-head-press-conference/

For anyone who wants to watch it...

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Wed 11 Mar 2015, 8:42 pm

The only thing this means is that we'll see a glut of claims that fighter A has an advantage over fighter B because of their body language.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Wed 11 Mar 2015, 9:07 pm

HAHAHAHA...anyone see Richard Sturm....wow thats a freaky looking bloke!

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Wed 11 Mar 2015, 9:24 pm

What the f'ing hell is Arum banging on about....absolute buffoon!!!

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Pound-for-Pound Wed 11 Mar 2015, 9:24 pm

Did everybody enjoy their history lesson?

Pound-for-Pound

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Wed 11 Mar 2015, 9:39 pm

That was the worse press conference ever; WOW! For the biggest sports event in history (according to them) and certainly one of the biggest fights ever that was a major disappointment....

And for all you Bieber fans....yes he did get himself into the photo opportunity at the end lol!

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 11 Mar 2015, 9:46 pm

Filipino's are nice. And yet they're tough.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by All Time Great Wed 11 Mar 2015, 9:55 pm

owen10ozzy wrote:That was the worse press conference ever; WOW! For the biggest sports event in history (according to them) and certainly one of the biggest fights ever that was a major disappointment....

And for all you Bieber fans....yes he did get himself into the photo opportunity at the end lol!

Mayweather promotions are the lead promotor for the event and have nowhere near the same level of experience Golden Boy or Top Rank have. Fortunately, the fight sells itself.

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Wed 11 Mar 2015, 10:03 pm

There's not having experience...and there's embarrassing levels of selling a fight...that was the latter. The fight may well have sold itself 5 years ago...but I think they are in for a rude awakening if they think it they can just plod through it now with minimal effort.

Someone mentioned it the other day, on here I think, but the social media buzz and even the paper talk is nowhere near the levels it was back in 2010 when it was close to being made. In fact, in the UK the clammer surrounding the fight has died down dramatically and did so just a couple of days after the announcement.

I'm sure they will shatter records etc come fight night...but for the biggest opportunity to force boxing into the mainstream and capture a mainstream audience (and keep them captured past this event)...it's so far been a shambles...

From the fight announcement...to the PPV price...to the ticket prices and now to this press conference.

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Wed 11 Mar 2015, 10:07 pm

They're in for no rude awakening Owen, the fight simply does sell itself, a meaningless press conference isn't going to sway opinions on that, who even bothers watching these things?

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Wed 11 Mar 2015, 10:14 pm

Rude awakening was overdoing it, agreed Hammersmith....just my fury as to how disappointed I felt watching an event and face off which is only going to happen twice before the fight takes place.

For a mega event/fight it deserved much better...

Also you'd be surprised how many people do tune in for it; if they didn't sportscast, cbs, skysports news etc etc wouldn't bother picking it up.

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Wed 11 Mar 2015, 10:16 pm

Honestly Ozzy I don't why you're reading anything into it, people watch it because it's there and I doubt anyone would be bothered if it wasn't.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Wed 11 Mar 2015, 10:37 pm

owen10ozzy wrote:What the f'ing hell is Arum banging on about....absolute buffoon!!!

I thought he was doing an Eddie Hearn impression only doing it a lot better than young Edward.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Wed 11 Mar 2015, 10:41 pm

Rolling Eyes

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 11 Mar 2015, 10:41 pm

Dear lord Strongy, did he eat your children?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Wed 11 Mar 2015, 10:46 pm

I think there's been a dip in interest since the fight has been announced. It was at fever pitch when they met at that basketball game but since it's been announced the hype has calmed slightly, expect it to be amped back up come the weeks and days before the fight.

I still totally disagree Owen. I think this fight will be bigger than ever come May 2nd, regardless of significance. The hype will be bigger than 2010, I believe. Makes no difference to me, I'd have watched it then and I'll watch it in May.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Wed 11 Mar 2015, 10:49 pm

Scottrf wrote:Dear lord Strongy, did he eat your children?
and were your children dressed as strawberries at the time?

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Wed 11 Mar 2015, 10:53 pm

Agree Dipper, come fight week it will be all over the shop and undoubtedly will smash all PPV records etc...although as I mentioned in a previous thread much of that is due to pricing more than anything.

I don't think it will blow the Alvarez PPV figures out of the water, certainly not at $100 charge and wouldn't be shocked if figures were inflated slightly just to make it seem like it did.

My gripe with the whole promotion though, is that there shouldn't be a dip in interest in it. It's 6 weeks out from the fight. This should be in the media eye from now till then. It's not a fight that can be overhyped...it's not a fight that will bore people if it's all that's spoken about or heard about....reason being it's a fight of ginormous magnitude.

You look back at Ali-Frazier...and this is that big in terms of the significance to this generation...it was widespread fever during the build. I mean huge!

Those involved in this have the potential to use it as a catalyst to push boxing into a place it hasn't been since Ali; they have the chance to capture new fans and sell the sport as a grand spectacle and an exciting sport to follow....to not use this platform to do that is both perplexing and almost insulting to the sport of boxing. Just my opinion.

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Wed 11 Mar 2015, 11:34 pm

Considering how long negotiations have taken, it's a shame Pacquaio couldn't introduce a 'no Bieber' clause.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Wed 11 Mar 2015, 11:36 pm

Most people are probably worn out by 5 years will they/wont they and even the average joe knows this fight is way past its sell by date. Everybody will probably watch it anyway, but not with the same enthusiasm or anticipation due to it be so overcooked. Cant say I would blame them.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Wed 11 Mar 2015, 11:51 pm

Scottrf wrote:Dear lord Strongy, did he eat your children?

Hearn is loved, praised and sucked up to on this board. I'm just trying to redress the balance. This place is the total opposite of CHB when it comes to Hearn.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Thu 12 Mar 2015, 12:00 am

This thread has sod all to do with him! I said it on the other thread...i'll say it again...P**s off somewhere else im sick of you turning everything into a Hearn thread!

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 12 Mar 2015, 10:23 am

Would guess the hype over here is a little underwhelming as at the time or writing nobody knows who is showing this. Sky are hardly going to go full pelt if this ends up on boxnation or ITV and the same applies in reverse. Struggle to imagine TV companies like doing their rivals work for them.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 12 Mar 2015, 10:28 am

True. Did finally hear it mentioned outside of the web this morning though, on 5 live.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Thu 12 Mar 2015, 10:36 am

Sky Sports news had it on this morning but everything does seem a bit subdued, dunno if it was just because it showed little clips but everyone involved seemed pretty bored by it all.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 12 Mar 2015, 10:37 am

Floyd tried the psychological stuff with "If you lose once its in your head, if you lose twice it's in your head."

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu 12 Mar 2015, 10:45 am

Its quite funny that the advert at the top of the page is advertising tickets for the fight.

Inner ringside tickets cost £31k and you have to buy a pair.

So the total is £62k and then they ask if you want to pay £10 for delivery  Laugh

Cant see anyone grumbling about that who is buying them! some good range of prices on there.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Thu 12 Mar 2015, 10:48 am

Odd remark that; given the usual line you hear in boxing 'that when you have the 0 you always have that fear of losing in the back of your mind'...(something along those lines)..

Given Pacman has lost a few times, I imagine he will have learnt with dealing with a loss. So don't think it will play any kind of factor come fight night.

It's shocking isn't it Adam; biggest fight of the generation yet factor in the ticket prices and the zero date promotional tour and they have made it almost completely inaccessible to fight fans! picard

Even celebrities will have to wear advertising/branded things in order to get ringside tickets (those who aren't receiving personal tickets from the fighters)

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 12 Mar 2015, 10:50 am

owen10ozzy wrote:It's shocking isn't it Adam; biggest fight of the generation yet factor in the ticket prices and the zero date promotional tour and they have made it almost completely inaccessible to fight fans! picard
If you had something you could sell for £10,000, would you sell it for £500?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 12 Mar 2015, 10:51 am

Derbymanc wrote:Sky Sports news had it on this morning but everything does seem a bit subdued, dunno if it was just because it showed little clips but everyone involved seemed pretty bored by it all.

I was hoping Manny/May might turn over a table like Fury............

Remember that ?? Dear me it looked so pathetic..............Or maybe one of them gets up like Bellew and shouts "You rat" twenty times....

Alas no.........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 12 Mar 2015, 10:55 am

Scottrf wrote:
owen10ozzy wrote:It's shocking isn't it Adam; biggest fight of the generation yet factor in the ticket prices and the zero date promotional tour and they have made it almost completely inaccessible to fight fans! picard

I'd try and put the event on in a more appropriate sized venue.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Thu 12 Mar 2015, 10:55 am

Does anyone think it's going to be anything less than a sellout though?

Hadn't thought of the promotional angle that you put across though Owen, if the normal fight fans can't get access to the fight live then you'd think they'd do a lot more live appearances for it.

Would love to see the place be half empty though.

@Truss,

I didn't see it all (must have been too busy doing some work around the house so the missus could have a rest;) So it might have got better but it just seemed to be lacking something.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 12 Mar 2015, 10:56 am

Rowley wrote:
Scottrf wrote:

Then nobody can see it anyway. Either way, it would sell out the biggest arenas 20 times over, it's not going to be accessible to most people.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 12 Mar 2015, 10:57 am

Scottrf wrote:

You get what you're worth...............Always said that.....

Remember when Douglas got £25 million for Holy people were moaning............But If someone will pay you that amount they must think you're worth it..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 12 Mar 2015, 11:00 am

Also, it's important to remember that the casinos provide additional income. The highest live gates are at the MGM even without that. Not the Pacquiao fights in the Dallas Cowboys arena. It doesn't make sense to hold it elsewhere.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 12 Mar 2015, 11:00 am

I took a look at the press conference out of boredom as much as anything else. If you missed it then I'd advise not going to too great a lengths to catch up. I hope JBW saw it though, because I want to read one of his gushing tributes to Richard Sturm and his joke shop hair. That was actually the highlight, for me.

Other than that, Floyd mentioned his '0', Manny thanked God, Arum waxed lyrical about Pacquiao's kind nature and fighting spirit, as well as those of his countrymen, Roach said 'we' are going to kick Floyd's backside, Ellerbe and Espinoza talked all their stuff about PPV figures, record-breaking purses, followers on Twitter etc.

So basically, not a single new or interesting thing. I should have known better!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Thu 12 Mar 2015, 11:03 am

Scottrf wrote:
Rowley wrote:
Scottrf wrote:

Then nobody can see it anyway. Either way, it would sell out the biggest arenas 20 times over, it's not going to be accessible to most people.

I don't call an event selling out when 70% of the tickets are given out to commercial sponsors, promotional people, celebrities etc. In fact usually I would say the very minimum required to even begin 'selling' out a sports event for the people (dont forget that's the line being trotted out time and again) is for those said tickets to actually go on general sale, which they won't even reach.

If this was put on at Wembley (90,000 capacity) with the ticket prices set at what they are; then nope I don't believe for a second it would completely sell out...and by that I mean tickets actually have to be bought not given away.

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 12 Mar 2015, 11:06 am

Be interested to see what concessions have been made to get this fight on....

Gloves, ring size, testing....I imagine like Hagler...........Manny has just blanketly agreed to most of Mayweather's demands..

I imagine Mayweather has been training and studying Manny for the last couple of months.....Hence the early date of May 2..

Always a trick with dangerous opponents to give them fairly late notice.......While you've been busy organising..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 12 Mar 2015, 11:08 am

It would certainly sell out Wembley in my opinion. They can sell out Women's Football and NFL. But I don't know why we are moving it to England.

More importantly, why would they pay to hold it in a stadium, when they can get paid to hold it in a casino arena?

Check out a list of the highest gate revenues. Almost all are Las Vegas casinos. They obviously sell enough of the tickets.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Thu 12 Mar 2015, 11:22 am

Scottrf wrote:It would certainly sell out Wembley in my opinion. They can sell out Women's Football and NFL. But I don't know why we are moving it to England.

More importantly, why would they pay to hold it in a stadium, when they can get paid to hold it in a casino arena?

Check out a list of the highest gate revenues. Almost all are Las Vegas casinos. They obviously sell enough of the tickets.

They sell enough tickets at ridiculous prices, the fact that people with more money than sense go out and buy them, doesn't make it any less ridiculous.

The reason the highest gates have come at the MGM is because all fights within that list have ticket prices selling at a minimum of $5000 odd; so of course they will make a packet. They also factor in ticket sales into the sister venue of MGM where they broadcast the fight on large screens (those are reportedly going for almost 10x the price of PPV).

Don't get me wrong, of course this was always going to be a fight deemed worthy of higher ticket prices; but don't insult the fans by declaring there doing it for them and then making the prices so far removed from what most normal people can afford. As AdamT stated...the tickets on the websites can't even be bought seperately....most fans would have to remortgage their homes to be able to go to this fight....that's simply disgusting!

I wont be purchasing this fight, either ticket or PPV, and it will be the one and only time I'll sit and enjoy and even vehemently support the use of 'illegal' manners in which to watch sports events.

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 12 Mar 2015, 11:27 am

owen10ozzy wrote:
Scottrf wrote:It would certainly sell out Wembley in my opinion. They can sell out Women's Football and NFL. But I don't know why we are moving it to England.

They sell enough tickets at ridiculous prices, the fact that people with more money than sense go out and buy them, doesn't make it any less ridiculous.

The reason the highest gates have come at the MGM is because all fights within that least have ticket prices selling at a minimum of $5000 odd; so of course they will make a packet. They also factor in ticket sales into the sister venue of MGM where they broadcast the fight on large screens (those are reportedly going for almost 10x the price of PPV).
No they don't. They go into closed circuit revenues. They can charge more because you are closer to the action.

They aren't running a charity. I just hope you never promote me.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu 12 Mar 2015, 11:31 am

88Chris05 wrote:I took a look at the press conference out of boredom as much as anything else. If you missed it then I'd advise not going to too great a lengths to catch up. I hope JBW saw it though, because I want to read one of his gushing tributes to Richard Sturm and his joke shop hair. That was actually the highlight, for me.

Other than that, Floyd mentioned his '0', Manny thanked God, Arum waxed lyrical about Pacquiao's kind nature and fighting spirit, as well as those of his countrymen, Roach said 'we' are going to kick Floyd's backside, Ellerbe and Espinoza talked all their stuff about PPV figures, record-breaking purses, followers on Twitter etc.

So basically, not a single new or interesting thing. I should have known better!
Sturms hair was awesome - I was going to comment on it too!

Its like he had a grey afro wig on!

I also really enjoyed the uncomfortable nature of Roach and the way he titled his head during his mumbled words. Does he have a neck problem?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 12 Mar 2015, 11:35 am

Adam D wrote:I also really enjoyed the uncomfortable nature of Roach and the way he titled his head during his mumbled words. Does he have a neck problem?
He has Parkinson's disease. Glad you enjoyed it.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Thu 12 Mar 2015, 11:40 am

That is closed circuit is it not...venues which show the fight in a cinema type experience?

So you genuinely think that 35,000 for tickets is a sensible pricing strategy in order to not marginalise the sport and cut out the fans of it? It can't be that great a pricing strategy...if it was it wouldn't be getting slammed left right and center on social media etc...

In fact up till no tickets have been sold on secondary market websites, such as SeatGeek as yet! That tells you something does it not?

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu 12 Mar 2015, 11:41 am

Scottrf wrote:
Adam D wrote:I also really enjoyed the uncomfortable nature of Roach and the way he titled his head during his mumbled words. Does he have a neck problem?
He has Parkinson's disease. Glad you enjoyed it.
I did. Thanks for your comment.

As you can see, I asked if he had a illness.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next